Voodoo Doughnut Maple Bacon Ale | Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States
rogue.com

Style: Smoked Beer

13 Ingredients:
Briess Cherrywood Smoked Malt, Weyermann Beechwood Smoked Malt, House-smoked Hickory Malt, Great Western 2 Row, Munich, C15, C75 Malts; Applewood-Smoked Bacon, Pure Maple Flavoring, Rogue Micro Hopyard Revolution & Independent Hops, Free Range Coastal Water & Pacman Yeast

Specs:
14º PLATO
76 AA
30º Lovibond

Added by msubulldog25 on 09-01-2011

Ratings: 1,687 |  Reviews: 416
3.62/5  rDev +29.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

i agree with others that this was not nearly as gimmicky as it seemed at first glance, and is actually surprisingly drinkable. cool pink bottle with gnarly art pours (oddly enough) a nice clearish maple syrup color, glowing, with a nice one inch white head. it smells very smokey, peaty almost like scotch whiskey, with a definite maple aroma as well. i do not really smell bacon, but i guess it could be there, very breakfasty. the bacon is more evident in the flavor, toward the back end and into the finish it is present, not at all unpleasant. i was worried, but this is far from offensive. nice and sweet mapley at first, but not overly so, then a mellow scotch-like flavor, followed by the bacon and a smokey conclusion. feel is not bad, mellow carbonation works well here, body is an average sort of medium. overall a cool idea, glad i found it for 12 bucks. worth a try for the curious palate.

3.57/5  rDev +27.5%

Poured from a 650 ml. bottle into a standard pint.

A: Slightly hazy, dark golden hue. Lots o' carbonation. Pours a 2 finger, frothy, white head. Thick but sporadic lacing. Leaves a persistent little blanket of foam on the surface.

S: What can I say... it smells like maple smoked bacon with a little brown sugar and molasses.

T: Light smoky flavor, lightly malted with the slightest hop, and just the slightest sweetness to balance it out.

M: Smoky and heady body. Just a touch of sweetness lingers throughout the experience.

D: The unusu-ality of this one dictates it'll probably go down a little slow. Not too hearty or thick, but the smoky sweet combination is just a little weird...not in a bad way, just weird.

Atmosphere is pretty good here. Thick frothy head, and nice persistent lacing. Nose is a real pleasure...smoky maple bacon....nice. Light bodied, but nice and smoky with just a bit of a sweet balance. Overall, this is a good (and fun) quaff.

3.45/5  rDev +23.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Thanks Lindsay!

Only did a small pour for now. Bodys deep orange with a decently small head. Dark off white colored head. Ok I get the doughnut part in the smell straight away. i get the applewood smoked bacon as well, but its light on the smoke. Not exactly sure about this one. Smells super cakey sweet with sweet bacon. Oh good lord the maple syrup flavors just wow. This thing is like breakfast in a bottle.

The taste - Not what I was expecting. Theres an upfront sweet woody flavor that I was not expecting. Lots of dry cake malt, hint of sweetness, and the maple isnt known until late. The smoke comes in somewhat light and sweet, almost like an afterthought.

It feels sweet, with the maple syrup taking over the aftertaste and subsequent exhales.

Now this is a different beer for . Liked the ingenuity and creativity.

3.65/5  rDev +30.4%

Bottle into tulip. Courtesy of Rutager from the CANBIF

A- Crystal clear, light maple syrup hue pour with a two finger off white creamy head. Lacing is sticky gobs of love on the glass.

S- With the glass two feet from my nose as I type I can smell maple donuts. It's pure pastry heaven. Up close I get the same maple aroma with a nice smoke and bacon flavor. The smoke and bacon isn't overpowering but actually fits. I get the apple wood and it does seem to have a bit of pastry aroma. Honestly it smells like maple covered bacon that's burnt a little.

T- Moment of truth... Smoke... right up front, no bacon, no maple just smoke (not my thing) The maple and the bacon are there in the back end, it finishes sweet from the maple and isn't bad but you have to get past that up front bacon and meaty smoke. It kind of grows on you after a couple sips, hopefully it really grows on me lol.

M- Thin bodied, decent carbonation.

O- I really don't like smoke beers but given the opportunity I'll honestly try anything once. This is a gimmick I really couldn't pass up. I'm not thrilled by it, but I'm not offended at all. There is enough good smell and taste to counteract the fact that it is what it is. Would I get another? Probably not but will see in another 700ml.

Ninja edit: After finishing the bottle (with the help from my fiancee, who LOVED it btw) I would definitely get another botle or two. It really grew on me and I did enjoy it.

3.08/5  rDev +10%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Do you remember when you were a kid, and one of the other [email protected]$$ kids thought that they were oh-so-special because they could play chopsticks with one hand and something equally as banal with the other?

This beer is a lot like that.
Bear with me.

With one hand, it plays "Smells like vanilla rauchbier" while at the same time playing "tastes like sweet-ish lightly-smoked pale ale" with the other. At the same time.

The smell is not unpleasant. I get a hint of maple, the smoke, and the vanilla cake...

The taste, is quite remarkably nothing at all like the smell... and that's quite the parlor trick. Sweet, lightly-smoked pale ale. It does not have trademark mouth-coating rauchbier mouth-feel. Nor does it have the color either.

Overall this is not a bad beer - though it is something of an experiment. A Franken-beer if you will.

My advice to you is this:
Don't buy it if you plan to drink it on its own, and don't buy it if you don't like rauchbiers.

Do buy it if you plan to pair it with BBQ or a hamburger. It's smokiness will play nicely with BBQ. It's sweetness will play off the spicy. and the fact that it's a lot lighter than a smoked porter or traditional rauchbier will make it an easy drinker.

I went into this beer with an open mind because of all of the overwhelmingly negative reviews. I didn't expect this to taste like I was eating donuts. That would have been stupid.

Would I buy this beer again?
Hmmm... you know, I don't actually know. I think it would be interesting to have with BBQ again - but I don't think I'd seek it out, nor would I trade any hard to find beer for it.

If you see it and it costs less than $15, take it for it spin if you're feeling adventurous.

1.75/5  rDev -37.5%

1.5/5  rDev -46.4%

3.25/5  rDev +16.1%

3.01/5  rDev +7.5%

750ml pink coated brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap acquired at Wades Wines in Westlake Village, California for $12.99 plus tax and served into a conical Guinness pint glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Expectations are low; it seems like a gimmicky beer with a proliferance of flavours that don't seem appealing when combined. I usually enjoy Rogue's beers, though, and I'm hoping it's good. I like the style.

Served refrigerator cold and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a 2.5 finger head of beige colour, slight cream, below average thickness, and average retention considering the merely average ABV. Colour is a mundane semitransparent copper. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show.

Sm: Doughnut is certainly recognizable, a feature I find intriguing if suspect. Applewood, maple, and smoke are all pungent. Rather fresh and appealing. I don't think anyone's doubting it's a unique aroma. Very bold and experimental. Bravo, rogue. I'm just hoping it's not too sugary. I'm rather impressed by the character of the aroma, which never feels artificial. I search for bacon but don't find it. The aroma is downright strong, to its credit.

T: Sweet applewood, brown sugar, maple wood, maple syrup, and a distinctive doughnut flavour are all noticeable. Bacon and smoke are notably absent. Cherry wood and appley crisp malts form the body. It's certainly full-bodied and well rounded. The malt layering is fantastic, and really lends the beer a central core that works incredibly well as a good foundation. Unfortunately, there is a syrupy artificial quality to the maple in particular, which brings the quality of the flavour profile down. These are bold, experimental flavours, and they're nicely balanced, This could easily beat you over the head but it restrains itself from doing so. That said, I wouldn't dare venture to call this subtle. For what the beer is trying to do, it's pretty decently built. Whether or not it's a good aim in the first place is up for debate. Complex and intricate with a perhaps undesirable end result. I like it in small quantities I guess. It feels boozier than it is, which is a problem. Very sweet and overburdened by sugars.

Mf: Entirely too thick and syrupy, but in a way that's what the brewers seem to be going for. I don't think anyone buys this thinking it will be thin. Smooth and wet, but lacking depth or fullness. Surprisingly light on the palate - to its discredit. Adequately carbonated. Actually somewhat watery on the finish.

Dr: The more I drink it, the less I like it. It's not at all drinkable; I don't know that I'm looking forward to consuming a full bottle of this. The scene in Super Troopers wherein they drink the syrup comes to mind. Doesn't hide its mere 5.6% ABV well. Where's the smoke and bacon? An interesting beer that everyone should try merely for its unique quality and impressive aroma, but not a fantastic beer by any margin. I applaud Rogue for the innovation, and I think there's a better beer to be made based on some of the better qualities of this one. But I won't be buying this one again. An oddity, but less of a gimmick than I anticipated.

A decent candidate for aging perchance. I'd be interested to see if the sugars receded over time.

Drinks fine out of a pint glass. I don't know that there's a better serving vessel.

Would pair well with diabetes medication. Okay, that was a cheap shot.

Priced highly.

C

3.68/5  rDev +31.4%

750 mL bottle, shaker pint

A: 2 finger off white, creamy head. Amber color, maple syrup color. See through.

S: bacon, maple, sweet malts, slight floral hops

T: Smokey, campfire bacon, maple, sweet malts, sweet floral hops. Really tasty

M: light body, nice carbonation. could use a little more of both

O: Interesting and tasty beer. Not sure if its worth $13.49 a bottle, but was awesome to try it once. I would probably buy this again though.

2.25/5  rDev -19.6%

3.67/5  rDev +31.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a elephant pink bottle into a tall Adnams glass. No bottle date as far as I can tell.

A: Hazy amber body with a tight off white head. Good retention (guess the bacon didn't effect it)

S: Huge maple aroma. Slight smoke. Slight sweetness. I actually really dig this smell.

T: The "beer" part of this is weak, not much to speak of. The aftertaste of sweet smoky maple is nice though. Surprising how the beer up front is clean, but the finish is sweet.

M: Mouthfeel is very slick on the finish.

O: Overall this is certainly a novelty drink. Not much beer flavor, but kinda tasty. For the price though, not one to buy again.

3.45/5  rDev +23.2%

Snifter

A - Really nice deep copper sunset, 1/6th off white head and some head lacing

S - Bacon, maple syrup, smoked oak and/or maple wood, sugar and more maple bacon goodness

T - a slight hop note, smoked wood, sweet bacon, maple, huge toasty malts and more smoke

M - Full bodied, not a lot of complexity, evenly balanced, medium minus acidity and a long smokey sweet finish

D/O - Not a refreshing beer, very, very interesting though. Not bad at all. Makes me want a sweet ale, maple old fashioned and bacon. Not for someone who isn't ready for a beer adventure

Final thoughts - $12 a bottle and a very low abv is a disappointment, but still a fun beer. Share this with friends

4.47/5  rDev +59.6%

So, this is one of the most interesting beers that I can recall. It really smells just like breakfast on a campout. It's got the smell of a campfire, a little malple, some bacon on a cast iron skillet, and a pancake. Unbelievable. It's a fantastic, unyieldingly engaging smell. I simply love it. The appearance is of a clear amber, with a long-lasting, lace-producing white head. The taste is a little more restrained than the smell, but it has a distinctive smoke and maple quality. Sweet, but not overdone. The brewer got the balance just right...to sweet would have been distracting, and too dry would have made the smoke acrid. It's a wonderfully brewed beer.

Voodoo Doughnut Maple Bacon Ale from Rogue Ales