Voodoo Doughnut Maple Bacon Ale | Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States
rogue.com

Style: Smoked Beer

13 Ingredients:
Briess Cherrywood Smoked Malt, Weyermann Beechwood Smoked Malt, House-smoked Hickory Malt, Great Western 2 Row, Munich, C15, C75 Malts; Applewood-Smoked Bacon, Pure Maple Flavoring, Rogue Micro Hopyard Revolution & Independent Hops, Free Range Coastal Water & Pacman Yeast

Specs:
14º PLATO
76 AA
30º Lovibond

Added by msubulldog25 on 09-01-2011

Ratings: 1,684 |  Reviews: 416

1.5/5  rDev -52.1%

2.46/5  rDev -21.4%

From a pink-enameled 750 ml brown bottle, abv. is listed as 7% on the import tag on the bottle. Pours out a hazed orange hue, with a couple of finger's width of spongy off-white head that retains to a thick cap.

Big whiff of maple and honey ham when the bottle is first uncapped. Hickory smoke on the nose, more of a ham character than bacon, sweet maple notes.

Woody mesquite character up front in the flavour, something of a curious honey glazed ham-like character in the middle, some mild leafy hops and smokey charred wood on the finish. A maple sweetness tends to coat the lips after a while. First impression was so-so but after several more sips there is no cohesion or harmony to it.

Lighter bodied mouthfeel, something of a slippery texture across the palate, mild carbonation.

Nothing about this experiment jives with me, except for the concept--the final result just doesn't work or deliver the goods, or at least not in a harmonious and palatable manner. Once again I was sucked into the hype, and the limited availability around these parts, and forked over far too much money for a big pink bottle of disappointment. On that front I'm not sure who is really to blame in this situation: Rogue for selling the lure of a seemingly enchanting prospect, or me for getting suckered in once again and buying into it. Chalk a point up for Rogue's marketing dep't....

2.27/5  rDev -27.5%

Bottle shared with Alucard4. Thank god he was there to help with this or half the bottle would have went down the drain

Look: Dark orangish body with a 1/2 inch off white head and good retention

Smell: Copious amounts of smoked wood upfront which is very off putting. Hidden behind the smoked is some caramel and maple undertones

Taste: The taste is as unique as it gets. Upfront is a bunch of smoked wood with some light vanilla notes behind that. The beer finishes with definitely some bacon covered in maple syrup. Now this may all sound amazing but let me re-assure it's not. I can't even describe how for a lack of better words bad this was

Mouthfeel: Just under a medium body and a fair amount of carbonation

Overall: Having had the doughnut the beer is modeled after I can honestly say this nothing like the doughnut. This took me 45 minutes to suck down my 10oz pour and it maybe have been some of the worst 45 minutes of my life. I could not drink this again

1.46/5  rDev -53.4%

Thanks to Black13 for this. The 22oz pink bottle does not have a "bottled-on" date. Poured into a crystal, stemmed water glass.

Appearance- I fully expected this to be a lot darker. Porter-like is what I was expecting. But, instead, it is a caramel/reddish color. Light tan head the dissipates quickly. No lacing. 3/5

Smell- Sweet cola aroma from far away. Maple donut dominates with a imitation smoke flavor in the background. The smoke aroma, although small, is not pleasant after a minute. 2/5

Taste- Here is where the smoke takes over. Not in a good way. The sweet maple donut that was in the aroma is in the background this time. Shame. The smoke makes this a beer that is only interesting in very small doses. A little goes a long way. The after taste is atrocious and stays with you long than you wish it to. 1/5

Mouthfeel- Not a thin mouthfeel per se, but I think it would benefit from a little more feel. 2/5

Overall- A novelty of a beer for sure. That is about it. I would not recommend. I have had the maple bacon donut and liked it, but I think that is because it had actual bacon on it and not an imitation smoke flavoring that you buy at the grocery store drizzled on top. The label says it is brewed with bacon, and smoked malts, but it comes out as an imitation flavor. 1/5

4.74/5  rDev +51.4%

Got this as part of a trade with hoparoundnw2337.

A - Gogeous dark amber with a cloudy unfiltered look.

S - WOOOW!! So much aroma to this beer! Tons of sweet maple syrup and smokey bacon.

T - If you don't like the taste of maple syrup don't buy this beer. I for one love maple syrup and this beer tastes just like some smoked bacon dipped in awesome Oregon maple syrup. The sweet syrup flavor comes first with the smokey bacon coming in late and lasting forever.

M - Nothing special here. nice body to it, not to thin, not to thick. Good carbonation, making it very drinkable.

O - This beer is a very different spin on a beer style that for the most part is very plain. The range of flavors are incredible. I for one appreciate the creativeness it took to create this beer.

1.59/5  rDev -49.2%

My first review on BeerAdvocate.

I bought this for a Christmas White elephant gift. I later reclaimed it for myself.

Appearance: Golden in color looks very nice.

Smell: Smells of Smoke and Bacon not really great for a beer but it is a "Bacon" flavored beer so what did I expect.

Taste: The body is fine if a little sweet. The aftertaste is what makes this beer a drain poor. The aftertaste is like a slaughter house full of Bacon and smoke.

Mouthfeel: Nothing too noteworthy maybe slightly more thick than an average beer.

I'm pretty disappointed only my second drain poor ever. The first being a 12 pack of Durango Ice which cost me 1/3 the price of this bomber.

I'm not sure how Rogue let this out the door. I love their Hazelnut Brown but this definitely hurts their reputation.

Do yourself a Favor and pass on this and pick yourself up 2 Hazelnut Brown bombers with money to spare.

3.2/5  rDev +2.2%

Poured from 22oz bomber into a pint glass:

A: Looks like an ale! Retention is medium, without much lacing or carbonation.

S: Smells like a maple doughnut with bacon sprinkles, smoked in an oven. Appetizing in general but something is amiss. I think the smoke overpowers the other appealing features.

T: Surprisingly bearable. Smoked bacon and maple. Sweet, and a touch tasty initially. But like the smell, something is amiss and I find myself not really enjoying after a few sips.

M: Medium body. Light carbonation. Doesn't stand out as particularly interesting.

O: Rogue produces some outstanding beers but I wasn't a big fan of this one.

1.5/5  rDev -52.1%

2.91/5  rDev -7%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Typical ale appearance with a clear light brown color. It has a rocky white had that has decent retention. Appears very still.

S: It smells exactly how it is described. Bacon, very sweet maple syrup, a smokey characteristic, and doughnuts. Very odd and not very appetizing to me. Too much sweet maple.

T: Toned down from the aroma. It is much better than the smell. The sweetness is muted and makes it more drinkable. The other smokey and bacon qualities are present. Not great, but not terrible.

M: Nothing spectacular when it comes to the feel. Pretty standard, light medium bodied, average carbonation, sort of watery.

O: This seemed sort of like a gimmick beer. I won't be picking this up again, but it doesn't really change my opinion of Rogue. Still one of my favorite breweries.

2.75/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Shared this bad boy with a couple of my best friends. It was... an experience. Got a little back story. Poured the first 3/4 of the bottle, smelled and tasted above average... however, all the darkness, smokiness, and bacon bits (yes, bacon bits in the beer) stayed on the bottle. We drank about 1/2 the bottle, we poured in the rest, and ruined it. So I'm gonna make a before (B) and after (A) final pour.

A - (B) Hazy brown, reminded me of a plain, fried doughnut. Nice finger/finger and a half of head. Lacy. (A) Dog vomit in a glass, bacon bits completed the image.

S - (B) Smells like maple syrup. No joke. Striaght maple fking syrup(A) Made me wanna pour it out. Wasn't too offensive, but was unappealing.

T - (B) Slighty smokey, bready doughnuttyness, maple syrup sweetness finishes it off, tasty. But where's the bacon? (A) Oh, there it is. Chunky greasiness and all. Slighty vomit inducing, tastes like drinking campfire concentrate.

M - (B) Decently smooth, drinkable. (A) Sticky, thick, grease feeling, clinging to the mouth like a facehugger from Alien. Get it off!

O - Unique attempt, decent beer if you avoid the final 1/4 bottle. Share it, for god's sake. You will want to. Trust me.

Voodoo Doughnut Maple Bacon Ale from Rogue Ales