Voodoo Doughnut Maple Bacon Ale | Rogue Ales

Rogue Ales
Oregon, United States | website

Style: Smoked Beer

13 Ingredients:
Briess Cherrywood Smoked Malt, Weyermann Beechwood Smoked Malt, House-smoked Hickory Malt, Great Western 2 Row, Munich, C15, C75 Malts; Applewood-Smoked Bacon, Pure Maple Flavoring, Rogue Micro Hopyard Revolution & Independent Hops, Free Range Coastal Water & Pacman Yeast

Specs:

Bottle to Pint
750 ML

2011 Release
Purchased from Bevmo, Chino Hills. $12.99

App- A falling dark orange/amber/red to a light orange/yellow on the bottom with a one finger very fast receding off white head with some tan tinge to it.

Smell- A very thick smoke note like a campfire with burnt bacon and a maple tinge to it. A bit stringent on the nose with some burnt plastic like an outboard motor firing up. However, with all those adjectives. I didnt find it offensive it was just kinda there.

Taste- Much of the flavor envelops from the smoked malts and a little of the Munich on the opening flavors. Following this is the maple extract notes and a touch of the bacon. I'll call it a tad bitter with maybe a touch of bubbly yeast. I will say it wasn't really as creamy as it needed to be to really make this work, but its not as horrible as some of the 1's or 1.5's some are dropping on this.

Mouth- A pretty light medium body with a fairly light-medium carbonation. It does leave a bit of smoky bacon char and wood notes. Less of the maple comes out residually.

Drink- I was very excited to try this one. I've seen many shows on Food network about the doughnut and one day I will try it. For now I will say that this needed to be more light a cream ale with some smoke, bacon and maple to really make this work. A tad more sweetness would have been nice as well. I probably wont have this one again, but it was worth a shot.

1.47/5  rDev -53.2%

750 mL bottle sent to me by ramnuts, shared with my tasting group in what was interpreted as a clear-cut gesture of my contempt for them.

A: Pours a hazy burnt orange that would be fairly nice, all things considered, with a little more milkiness and some more head. I tend to like cloudy beers of this shade.

S: It delivers exactly what you'd expect: some maple and enough smoke to border on hammy, bacon-like aromas. Mildly salty and woody. The effect was a little reminiscent of garbage that has been left in my apartment over a warm weekend: it smells like things that were once food that have been left to mingle and have started to turn.

T: Smoked wood that mimics bacon flavors. A touch of maple is found in the finish, but since this beer has been sitting around a while, I would guess that flavor is starting to fall off. Other than that, there is a mild caramel presence and basically nothing else. Not a lot going on.

M: No finish to the beer; it just trails off the palate.

O: I have a hard time understanding how this beer is 'average.' It's a pretty clear demonstration of a trainwreck and a fascinating exercise in disappointment. I wonder what compelled them to charge $11 for this and mandate a case minimum, but that it went into distribution so quickly is a hilarious testament to how badly their gambit misfired.

3.42/5  rDev +8.9%

A: Pours a light reddish brown with an ample off white head which recedes to a small pool
S: Smells of smoke, bacon, and maple syrup. very nice
T: Tastes of smoke, a hint of bacon and just a wisp of maple. very smoke forward. Smoky bacony aftertaste with a kiss of maple. Kind of simple but not bad
M: full bodied with adequate carbonation, kind of slick when swallowing
O: Very different, I wish the maple and bacon was a bit more forward in the flavor. Pretty tasty though.

2.06/5  rDev -34.4%

Bottle generously shared by Arbitrator.

Hazy with a rust hue, little head formation. Smells like wood smoke and salty meat, cheap pancake syrup, caramel malt. The scent of smoke and bacon is pretty overpowering, and almost overshadows the maple. The palate is surprisingly bland, dominated by woodsmoke, bacon and a dry maple flavor. Body is oddly thin, finish is woody, smoky and unpleasantly salty. Not as horrid as I was expecting, but nowhere near good.

3.44/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

750 mL pink bottle,

A: Pours a medium red amber with a moderate fizzy white head, some lace, good head retention, looks like a Rogue beer.

S: Smells like maple bars and BBQ smoke, an intriguing mix which I quite liked.

T: Tastes a lot like American Amber, has that typical Rogue pacman yeast with crystal malt base. Some smoke for sure with a hint of sugar in the finish. Not bad tasting, but nowhere near the promise of the nose.

M: Fairly light-bodied, a thin mouthfeel overall. Has some carbonic feel, sweet in the end.

O: When I saw this at my local BevMo I had to pick it up because of its uniqueness. In the end it's really not big enough to carry all the components I expected. It does smell like maple and bacon and that's great, but I want the taste to deliver it. It's not a terrible beer, but it's greatly overpriced. I'd say maybe try this once for its uniqueness, but not something to try if you want a maple bar bacon explosion in your mouth.

3.43/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

A- Poured into my tumbler and saw a great orange color, lots of bubbles that dissipated quickly. Great color when looking at it through a light.

S- Smells smokey and sweet at the same time, almost like candied bacon smells like. Maple syrup as well. But this smell is not a strong smell, its fairly weak but still very nice.

T- the taste comes on slightly weaker than i expected when i smelled it. But to me, that is a good thing because if the flavor was stronger i would never finish the entire bottle. The flavor starts with a matly sweet taste, that moves into a smoked bacon flavor that lingers on you pallet. Its a pretty good smoked beer in my opinion.

M- watery, and smooth. Not a exciting mouthfeel

O- This is a good unique smoked beer. It is a great novelty and something that you want to try just by seeing the bottle. I upped my original overall rating because of how easy it was to drink, considering the flavor and type of beer. Like i said, if this was a stronger more pork like beer, i would have rated it down.

This is something a craft beer fan should try. Its unique and wont drink something like this all the time. Rogue did a good job making a difficult beer, and i commend them. And hell if you dont like it at least you have an awesome bottle to keep right??

3.87/5  rDev +23.2%

750ml bottle poured into a snifter.

A: Medium dark amber with a tint of maple brown syrup color. Slightly hazy. One finger off white head with good retention and lacing.

S: Maple syrup pretty big upfront. Smoked meat is also very present, and smells very good. Some touches of caramel coming through. Smells like an awesome pancake, smoked bacon and sausage, all drizzled in maple syrup, cooked over a campfire, breakfast.

T: Slight sweet caramel and maple upfront. Smokey bacon and ham flavors in the middle. Not a huge smokiness. The maple comes through a lot more in the finish.

M: Pretty thin. Verging on watery. Medium carbonation. Slight crispness.

O: They actually pulled this off a little. Was much better than I was expecting. Definitely different and not an everyday beer at all, but decent and interesting.

3.42/5  rDev +8.9%

Pours a slightly hazy orange brown with a 1 inch fizzy off-white head that settles to nothing. Small dots of lace drip back into the remaining beer on the drink down. Smell is slightly subdued overall but I am getting some smoked malt, smoked meat, and maple syrup aromas. Somewhat like bacon covered in maple syrup. Taste is of smoked wood, smoked pork, and mild maple flavors. The aftertaste has a smoky and woody quality to it. This beer has a slightly crisp mouthfeel but it's a bit thin and watery. Overall, this is a pretty good smoked beer that is not as bad as I was expecting it to be.

3.19/5  rDev +1.6%

Pours literally the color of maple syrup, amber with lighter highlights, and a big, maple cream colored head. Gets murky and develops a lot of strange black particle sediment as it gets near the end of the bottle.

Smells really good, like what you want to wake up to every day. Maple syrup, smoked meats, and a campfire.

And then, where did it go? Taste is not like the smell, it's a lot less. Tastes of not quite roasted malts the flavor of stale toast, the end has the maple and bacon flavor, but it's so understated, and fleeting that it's almost not there.

Has medium carbonation and a medium heavy body, feels ok, but is definitely not easy drinking. Kind of tough to get through overall.

I loved the idea of this beer, and upon smelling it, I was really excited. Upon drinking it, I was really dissapointed. If it tasted like it smelled, all would be well in the world, but this really is tough to drink, even with it's lack of overall flavor.

DOA

3.19/5  rDev +1.6%

Served in a nonic pint glass.

This is the first beer my friends and I enjoyed in the then-brand new 2012. It pours a partly cloudy sunrise amber topped by about a finger or so of lightly off-white foam. The nose is a blast of sweet doughnut (powdered sugar, bread, frosting, the works...I think I even got some sprinkles in there...), with a vague touch of beech smoke in the very back. Delicious. The taste, though, goes decently awry, with the smoke coming closer to the audience (and now wearing a bit of an oak mask), the sweetness faded almost completely, the bread taking a larger role than before, and some mild maple syrup randomly inserting itself into conversations at the most awkward moments. The combination just doesn't come together as it did in the smell; instead, it leaves a strange, mildly objectionable taste in my mouth. The body is a light-ish medium, with a light moderate carbonation, a sorta slick feel, and a sorta/kinda dry finish. Overall, a laudable experiment, but one that falls short of true success. Now, if only I could make a candle from the aroma...

2.95/5  rDev -6.1%

A: Light brown with a khaki head, a little thick

S: Great smells, getting some sweetness and a lot of smokiness

T: Smoke. It tastes like what I imagine a bonfire would. Decent for a straight up smoked beer, but the maple and bacon that the name of the beer would suggest just get lost in too much smoke.

M: Slight tingling carbonation and a little thin

Overall, this one was fun just to try it. Will I pay $11 to get another bottle? No. I really wish the flavor had more maple characteristics too, I got a tiny bit, but it was mostly just smoke

3.57/5  rDev +13.7%

A finger of white head, deep gold-amber body.

To quote my dad, it smells like walking into an IHOP. Super mapley-- I couldn't smell anything else even if it were there.

Lots of smoky-toasty lager in the front, more maple in the back. A lot more. Not overbearing though it does leave an aftertaste.

Kinda foamy and light.

Interesting and very breakfasty. The Voodoo maple bacon bar itself is superior and cheaper, but not beer. This is not a knockout, but it's unique. If nobody likes it at your next tasting, consider reducing into pancake syrup! I wish I had done that. From the malt bill and inclusion of applewood bacon, I was hoping for more.

2.14/5  rDev -31.8%

Picked this up at Portland Saturday market a while back. Was looking forward to drinking this for a while. I'm a big fan of both Rogue and Voodoo doughnuts.
A: Pours a hazy brownish red color, not much head and really no lacing either.
S: Very smokey, smells like bacon for sure but not picking up much maple just smoke
T: Slight sweetness followed by a big blast of smoke flavor. Still not picking up any maple.
M: Medium body, carbonation feels pretty good
O: I was really looking forward to trying this beer but I had a pretty tough time choking it down, Ive had way better beers for way less money.

3.73/5  rDev +18.8%

Major kudos to my brother in law for gifting me 2 of these for x-mas. I knew this was certainly a polerizing beer going into it. Shared between myself, bro in law and a buddy. Looks rather attractive, a deep amber color, off white head, good tight carbonation. Man what an aroma, smells like a Tim Horton's maple frosted doughnut. Smokey, maple, vanilla, butterscotch. Really strong. I can see how some say there is an "ash tray" quality here, but hey it's a smoked beer. The taste is extremely smokey, with other flavors of maple, butterscotch, vanilla and well more smoke just like one or two clicks too much smole. I can't say I find this bad, I really believe Rogue accomplished what they were trying for here. I can also say I don't really get any bacon flavor. But as I said there is a disernable Tim Horton's maple glazed doughnut taste. Overall this was a really, really interesting beer. It has been sometime since I've had a beer so unique and for that I am greatful. Certainly could not drink a whole bottle to my dome, but a glass was a nice sipper.

4.26/5  rDev +35.7%

I've had this beer twice now, the first time cold, and now a 2nd time at slightly cooler than room temperature. Trust me when I say this beer is MUCH better when consumed at a warmer temperature.

Appearance - A dark, golden brown.

Smell - Beautiful smoked bacon. Sweet syrupy maple. This smell instantly takes me to a lumberjack breakfast table.

Taste - At cold to ice cold temperatures, I got almost nothing outside of a smoke flavor, not unlike Rogue's Smoke Ale. As the beer warmed, the flavors opened, first a hint of bacon, and as it arrived closer to room temp, the maple made it's debut. The 2nd time I tried this beer, I gave this only a brief cool down before opening (10 minutes in fridge), and the flavors were there in full force. A nice smokey applewood bacon flavor upfront, followed nicely on the tongue with a sweet maple which fades well into the aftertaste. Beautiful, complex malts which work their magic and somehow deliver on the promise of the label.

Mouthfeel - Considering the target, this is where the beer loses points. The beer is fairly thin, or at least thinner than one should expect for what this beer is presenting.

Overall - Had I reviewed this after my first experience, it would have been one of disappointment. Following up on my instincts and trying this beer at a warmer temperature brought out it's true nature. At $11-13 a bottle, the price is steep, but if it won't break your budget, it's certainly a beer I'd recommend trying. Gimmick beers don't usually work; this one does.

4.32/5  rDev +37.6%

Appearance – A dark amber color with a thin layer of gold along the top. A nice thick head that dissipates to a few small spots and a small ring around the glass.

Smell – A sweet maple smell which really smells a lot like a maple donut. There is also a light smoky smell, which reminds me of sizzling bacon. This is a great smelling beer!

Taste – The smokiness dominates the flavor and it’s a much stronger than expected compared to the smell. At first, I didn't like it since I was expecting something sweeter from the nose, but once I knew what to expect of the taste, I felt it was a quality smoked beer. It’s more of a woody smoke flavor than a bacon smoke flavor and is similar to many rauchbiers I've tried.

Mouthfeel – Medium body, medium carbonation; it felt right for the style.

Drinkability – Perhaps a bit too smokey to be super drinkable, but if you enjoy rauchbier you shouldn't be disappointed.

3.19/5  rDev +1.6%

pours a golden color with a small off white head and spotty lacing

GREAT nose to it. exactly what i was looking for. nice smokey BACON with mild maple notes.

unfortunately after the nose this beer goes downhill, taste like a burnt bacon with way to much smoke. not finding much maple in there.

light bodied and low carbonation

overall i had much higher hopes for this, the burnt bacon and smoke overpower the pallet, but i am hoping that with age the smokiness will settle down and bring more flavors to it

Bomber strait from Voodoo Donuts, poured into my Delirium snifter, the Voodoo Doughnut Maple Bacon Ale is a ruddy auburn with a nice off-white head.

Smell is at first sweet and sugary, with the phenolic smoke coming out as it warms.

Taste is astoundingly spot on, wow! I assumed this would be all gimmick, but Rogue really nailed the concept. It's got the candied sugar of a glazed donuts. The maple syrup is undeniable. And there is a bit of a meatiness representative of bacon, beyond the overtly smokiness of the malt. A little char, a little cherry, not bad. It gets overly phenolic, and has an extreme lack of focus, but generally, it's much better then I expected.

Mouthfeel is on the medium light side. Tough for me to gauge, as I'm not entirely sure of the strength, but I assume it's on the stronger side, in which case, the mouthfeel is notably non-sugary.

Drinkability is pretty good, it's a fairly enjoyable beer beyond the novelty factor, with the robust flavors not getting to much in the way, helped by the mouthfeel. The price and availability (not to mention the ridiculous distribution) mean it's one and done, unless VD pick this up as a permanent license...in which case I'd probably buy one anytime I bring out-of-town friend to VD as an enjoyable novelty.

4.04/5  rDev +28.7%

Great looking bottle! A definite eye catcher. Pours a slightly hazy brown ale with a finger of cream colored head. The smell is the show here! I am definitely getting the smokey bacon along with a healthy dose of campfire smoke, big maple syrup, possible glazed donut and a burnt match. Great stuff. There is the smokey bacon and also the sweetness mulling together. I could whiff this all day. The taste is interesting. Much more on the smokey side (ala the style) but there is also a background sweet taste and slight aftertaste of maple. This bottle works. Like the smell combo...smokey and sweet. Spicy swallow with a significant bite. A tad thin on the mouthfeel. Overall from viewing it in the store (knowing nothing about it) to the last sip this experience was a great time. I am not a huge fan of Rogue beers but I love the attempt on this. Not a world class beer by any means but a unique beer that should not be passed up...at least once. Paid $12.99 a bottle and I will say it was worth it.

3.92/5  rDev +24.8%

22oz bottle, 7% ABV, and a hideous shellacked candy-floss pink. Very Homer Simpson doughnut-esque, I suppose, with a weird graphic portraying a hog-crushing 'gentleman', against a background of my nation's national symbol. Ok, then. Like many before me, I spent a few days last summer drinking my way around Portland, and made pilgrimages to both hedonistic meccas. Bacon doughnuts were weird enough, so this must just be the logical extension, PDX-style.

This beer pours a hazy medium golden amber hue, with two regular customer fingers of dense frothy pale beige head, which leaves some Joshua tree lace around parts of the glass as it steadily and surely recedes. It smells, at first from a distance, of sweet, dark sugary maple syrup, which is quickly subsumed by a meaty smoky essence, lingering on edge between generic and full-on savoury breakfast pork product, with no other native aromas strong enough to poke through - I am strongly reminded of my last morning hangover cure visit to a US-based IHOP - and that meal even cost less than this bomber did on this side of the border.

Anyways, the taste is immediately more heavy on the smokiness, with both the succulent pork side and thick maple notes going swiftly AWOL, replaced by a relatively weak grainy, somewhat caramelized, and heretofore obscured malt. This sounds like a downer, but it pretty much works - I don't think I could have taken the tree sap sweetness in the nose as an equally pervasive component of the flavour. This is beer, not deep-fried pastry. I even sense a bit of weedy, earthy hops (mostly because you wouldn't find them it either of the titular ingredients).

The body is generally agreeable, with the bubbles doing nothing to really distinguish themselves, good or bad, the weight deftly kept in the medium-light range, and lacking smoothness only due to the pervasively acrid smoke. It finishes more malty that anything as yet, the salty smoke and muddled sweetness becoming even further marginalized.

Well, it is what it says it is. First I get maple. Then I get bacon (or thereabouts). Finally I get ale. What else is there? A big marketing schtick turned drinkable, if not freaky good (how you do that with this style eludes me) sooty amber ale. Man, do I want me some food cart nosh at this very moment...

3.36/5  rDev +7%

Poured from a bomber into a goblet.

A: Slightly hazy, medium amber color with less than one finger of diminishing parchment-tinted foam head. No lacing remains on the glass.

S: Wood-smoked grain is deep and intense, almost textural, lacking only a clear line of distinction where smoked malt ends and actual bacon begins. The smell is entirely dependent upon its smoked qualities for interest, but it is hard to imagine what other facets could be added to a smoked beer of normal strength.

T: Begins dry, with mild bready malt that is also caramelly, but lacking expected smoke qualities up front. Acidity is mild, with an appealing citric edge. Real smoke flavor seems out of step with that of the smell, not becoming defining on the palate until late--but delivering a volatile, sinus-filling vapor when it does arrive. Bitterness is mild in the finish, with resurgent bready malt relaxing the palate for the next sip.

M: Thin to medium viscosity, soft on the palate, with moderate carbonation.

D/O: This smoked beer seems to be a descendant of Dead Guy or some other amber-colored beer that may (or may not) be a lager. The smell is redolent with extremeness, granting to all who experience it the right to boast of having tried beer that smells of bacon. The flavor is less convincing, tasting just too generic at first but coming around by the finish. Even more extreme than the smell is the packaging--worthy of a '5' in the eye-catching category.

2.87/5  rDev -8.6%

Thanks a ton for sharing, Brian!

A: Pours a slightly hazy burn amber color with a finger of off-white head that quickly faded into a thin film that left almost no lace.
S: Ultra sweet smelling. Maple dominates alongside notes of smoky and savor glazed bacon and sweet icing. This smells exactly like the description.
T: The flavors are way more muted than the nose. This beer is sweet but watery, and most of the flavors come through in the finish. I get hints of maple bacon, slight smoke, and lightly bitter hops in the aftertaste.
M: Very thin watery mouthfeel, low carbonation, and a light body.
O: Like drinking sugar water with a hint of smoke, and disappointing all around. This beer smells pretty good, but everything else (except the bottle) is a fail.

3.64/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Clear orange amber with wispy white head. Somewhat average looking.

S - Smoky bacon with maple on the side.

T - Sweet maple with a little grapefruit sourness to it. It is a little difficult to separate the aroma from the flavor seeing how strong the bacon smell is.

M - Average amount of carbonation. Consistency was a little too watery but doesn't detract too much.

O - Not a terrible smoked beer. Not sure if I would have it again since bacon and beer is an odd combination.

3.32/5  rDev +5.7%

Thanks to bbb099. Split w scottfrie and bbb099.

A: A hazy amber with barely any head. Absolutely nondescript.

S: Uh. Huh. Hmm. Odd. Overwhelmingly like smoked maple syrup. Light. Enticing. Holy crap I'm so intrigued.

T: Oh. There we go. Very... interesting. Good maple notes followed by the smoke and bacon. And that's about the end of good/weird, turns into bad/weird. The taste doesn't follow the nose all that well. I definitely give Rogue props for the novelty, but I dunno about this one. Good for what it's supposed to be, but not something I'll be drinking again.

M: A bit thin, and a lot of carb. Nondescript, but in a bad way.

O: Good for what it is, but damn. Also, props on the bottle.

3.49/5  rDev +11.1%

I have been to the Voodoo Doughnuts in Portland, and am a huge fan of their bacon maple bars. Unfortunately, this beer tasted nothing like it. It pours a viscous dark brown with a decent amount of carbonation. smells strongly of maple syrup, vanilla and brown sugar. taste was dominated by a smokey sweetness and a very strong maple note, as it sinks in the sweetness of the maple and brown sugars saturates your tongue. Mouthfeel is nice, very clean and since there is virtually no hop note to this brew it doesn't leave any bitterness on your palate. Overall not bad maybe as a once a year thing but not good enough to want year round.

Voodoo Doughnut Maple Bacon Ale from Rogue Ales