Voodoo Doughnut Maple Bacon Ale | Rogue Ales

Rogue Ales
Oregon, United States | website

Style: Smoked Beer

13 Ingredients:
Briess Cherrywood Smoked Malt, Weyermann Beechwood Smoked Malt, House-smoked Hickory Malt, Great Western 2 Row, Munich, C15, C75 Malts; Applewood-Smoked Bacon, Pure Maple Flavoring, Rogue Micro Hopyard Revolution & Independent Hops, Free Range Coastal Water & Pacman Yeast

Specs:

3.19/5  rDev +1.6%

From 750mL bottle to snifter on 11/13/11 at a small tasting with friends
*From notes

-- Muchos gracias, Señor Bond --

A: Much lighter in color then I'd expected, as it's a clean autumn amber. A standard pour yields a 1.25 finger head and zero lacing.

S: Pork belly and glazed donut. Really. This is pretty crazy stuff. I really can't believe how well they nailed the nose on this one. Close my eyes and I'd swear there was a plate of 'em in front of me.

T: Well it was good while it lasted. Smoke up front, and lots of it. There's a ton of syrup that hits the mid, and it's extremely cloying. It's one strange brew. The finish is off-dry and it never really lets go of the maple covered pork fat.

M: Thin. Oily. This beer really needs a bigger body to carry what really is a BIG time flavor profile.

O: I have no idea how any one person can consume an entire 750mL bottle. Rogue, wtf were you thinking putting this in such large (and gorgeous) bottles? Regardless, their Voodoo Doughnut Maple Bacon Ale was certainly a crowd divider. Some thought it the worst beer they've ever consumed. Some, quite tasty. Me? I didn't find it to be a train wreck, rather it's just damn weird.

2.18/5  rDev -30.6%

Live review, 12-9-11 after my curveball Civ Pro final. Thanks for the cool extra, cavemanlawyer!

Look - Gotta give extra points for the look of the bottle, which is simply ridiculous pink. The beer pours a rich garnet that lets just a hint of light through, somewhere between pumpkin pie and dark caramel. A half finger egg shell foam head that recedes to what looks a bit like a glob of thinned-out snot on top of an oddly shimmering cap, but with inviting pin bubbles riding up the side of my Bell's tulip. Really nice color but the head looks a bit unappetizing after it calms down.

Smell - At first just a wiff of smoke and maple over a lightly sour, almost milky malt and yeast background. It's a shame, there are some lovely notes of maple, smoke, cinnamon, and clove underneath which clamor to escape but no such luck - pulled back into the glass and covered up by the sour tone.

Taste - Watery light flavor, with just a touch of sweet maple on the tip but again with the slightly sour lactic yeast esters paired with underdone wheat rolls. The midpalate starts to show the smoke, which really comes through in the end with alderwood and hickory. I was expecting more smoke and was perhaps underwhelmed, actually.

Mouthfeel - Watery thin for most of the swallow with some decent carbonation puffing it out it up in the middle from abyssmal to just shy of acceptable. A touch of slick oiliness coating my mouth at the end helps.

Overall - Yeah, not so much. I was expecting this to be overwhelmingly smoky and cloying, but I got just the opposite - fairly watery and weak, which some tasty smoke and a light amount of maple. More of both of these still would not have made up for the mouthfeel.

2.28/5  rDev -27.4%

Hooray for the tribute/collaboration beer! Microbrew heavyweights Rogue have unleashed a Smoked Beer in collaboration with Portlands Voodoo Donuts. Those in the know, they created the best donut ever: THE MAPLE BACON BAR. In an awesome marketing move, Rogue decided to imitate the famed donut in beer form. A challenging, if not at least interesting task.

Pours a honey yellow with some off white head. Pretty typical affair for your average Smoked Beer.

The smell alone achieves the goal of this beer. It smells lik e a freakin' donut! Huge notes of maple and dough. Those flavors alone dominate. There's extremely faint notes of smoke, but nothing really resembling solid malt aromas. It just smells like a fresh donut, which is cool, I guess. It lacks any real aroma notes of a Smoked Beer.

The flavor of this beer takes a 180 degree turn. Where the aroma lacked in anything smokey, or bacon-like, it dominates in the taste. Dry at first, but then your pallet turns to smoked, almost burnt malts. These flavors seem a bit flat. The flavors don't seem to last long and they lack any strength. It's here, then it's gone. What lingers is a flavor similar to a lager or hopped English Ale. At this point my girlfriend put down her glass.

"Interesting." She said. She works in the medical field, which means it's not good. "It's just not grooving with me."

At this point I'm wondering wear the bacon is. It's nowhere. There's a slight malty, hoppy, doughy finish, but not bacon. It's safe to say at this beer fails in the flavor department.

I've had Smoked Beers, Ports and some stouts that have no actual bacon in the brew yet have managed to emulated flavors and aromas of the sacred meat. Rogue actually put bacon in their beer and it seems to have gotten lost in the mix. Mega points for their interesting aromas. This is a beet that does not live up to its expectations. I've decided to stop trying to down this filth and I'm tossing it.

Epic Fail Time.

2.52/5  rDev -19.7%

I had this at the pre Jackie O's release tasting at fluff. Poured into a goblet.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy orange color with a ring of white head.

Smell: Quite smokey, not sure how much of that comes from the bacon or not. Definitely picking up the sweetness from the maple syrup.

Taste: Think maple syrup poured into water and then smoked. Not a huge fan.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with tingly carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: This is a really weird beer. I'm really glad I was able to try it, but I wouldn't want more.

2.23/5  rDev -29%

750 ml. bottle poured into my stone tulip. BTW, this is the first pink bottle of beer I've ever seen. And artwork is pretty cool.

A: Clear copper color. The pour dropped a two finger head that faded to a thin collar. Nice lacing.

A: Smoke all the way. I get a little maple, kinda like super smoke bacon with a touch of maple syrup.

T: I typically like smoked brews, and I like maple brews. But I don't like this. The flavors dont mesh well together at all. It is less sweet then I thought it would be, and waaay more bitter then I thought it would be.

M: To thin. Over carbonated. Just not appealing.

O: A big fail. I was hoping for an ok beer here, but just got a mess of smoke and stale sausage maple flavor. Avoid.

3.91/5  rDev +24.5%

Thanks to Cory for sending me this beer. Wanted to try it ever since Rogue announced it since I have been to Voodoo and had the Bacon Maple Doughnut.

A: Pours a hazy amber color with a small foamy head on top, white in color. Not much retention or lacing at all.

S: Tons going on here. Right away I get the maple syrup, its sweet and very strong. There is some bacon, a little bit of smoke, and a little bit of dough. Definitely reminds me of the doughnut.

T: Extremely sweet. There is some bready malt, some of the syrup shows up and a little bacon, but neither as much as the aroma. The smoke comes in really strong on the finish, almost like an aftertaste.

M: Medium bodied with active carbonation. Not oily, but it coats my mouth. Pretty easy drinking for a smoke beer though.

O: Pleasantly surprised, based off the reviews. Looking at the goal of the brewer, and having had the doughnut, I think it was as close as a beer could get. Now, would I drink this all the time? No, but would I give it another go, probably, but would make sure to at least split it with someone else again.

2.48/5  rDev -21%

Thanks? Jason...

Pours out of a bright pink bottle

Murky brownish orange. Nice white head. Looks okay but not great.
Smells like a campfire. Gross. This is not appealing in any way.
Tastes sweet and smokey this is a gross beer. Lots of weird flavours. Not pleased. High carbonation levels.
Not something i would have again

3.7/5  rDev +17.8%

Small gathering at Cam's for goodies

A-orange/brown body with no head whatsoever

S-very Smokey with a little bit of maple. Very subtle maple

T-more like a maple smoke beer. No real donut sweetness to fall back on

M-medium body and smooth with a hint of smoke on the back end of the toungue.

O-not as bad as people think. It is what it is.

4.11/5  rDev +30.9%

A friend of mine showed me this bottle and I was so curious I scoured BA to find this treasure no matter what the rating.
It came it a trade with a great BA member and waited to share this with some friends at one of our bottle nights. I was expecting a darking color from this one but I don't know why. It was a maple syrup color with a thin light head poured into a snifter. The aroma of smoke and maple is immediate in this one. If you look at the list of ingredients you will understand why this has a smoky mouth feel; it is loaded with smoked malts. Sitting on the tongue the bacon and maple syrup come out and hit you as they go down the gullet. Overall this is a fun unique brew that is easy to drink, and have a interesting flavor. I think I would have rated it higher had it been a bit darker, but if you can get it DISFRUTA.

3.45/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Got to try this at a recent bottle share. Was expecting it to be terrible, but it was tolerable in small doses.

A: poured a light brown with some copper very litte foam.

S: strong smoke nose with carmel/maple notes. Pick up a little bacon, but really more smoke.

T: a bit dry and too much smoke for me. I didn't get much bacon, but brown sugar and smoke.

M: Average at best, thin.

O: Glad I tried it, but will never seek it out again.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Reviewed from notes. 750ml bottle shared at a recent tasting. It poured a brown orange color and had some reddish highlights to it in the light. A thin white lacing was scattered across the top and concentrated around the edges of the glass.

The aroma has a big smoky, bacon and brown sugar presence in it. I get some bready, dough like flavors and some candy like maple sweetness. I really liked the smokiness to it, but the candy, brown sugar sweetness was a little intense.

The taste has a lot of very powerful flavors going on. Brown sugar and smoky bacon up front with some maple coming out in the finish. It's very sweet and almost candy like. It's pretty smoky as well with some liquid smoke like properties. The candied, maple, brown sugar sweetness is just too much for me though.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Overall it was a very interesting beer with some cool flavors at times, but it just didn't come together well. The sweet and smoky flavors were just too extreme and they didn't seem to have anything to help balance them. Being a smoked beer lover though I did enjoy the smoke to it at times. It was cool to try, but hard to have anything more then a small sample of.

3.29/5  rDev +4.8%

After deciding to share a dozen weeks ago, near release date (thanks James/cavemanlawyer for splitting the case and for the impromptu curbside tasting!), finally opened one of my 750s this morning. Yes, morning: paired with a savory-sweet root vegetable and bacon hash, topped with runny eggs. Poured to a Widmer teardrop glass.

Really like the pink bottle, with it's creepy/gaunt 'voodoo' figure posed in familiar 'clenched fist' defiance before a checkered backdrop of maple leaves and swine silhouettes. A keeper.

A: Hazy caramel brown pour with a notable shady reddish tone. Stumpy head of fizzy ivory, a finger high but quick to fall. Long to hold a scattering of skimcoat film. Early pours are debris-free, later ones are full of black flecks dancing then resting at the bottom (bacon?) - given the adjunct used, I'll give it a pass on the sediment.

S: Intriguing is an understatement: crazy 'maple' aroma, a sweetness that's tempered by -yes- smoky malt and a salty/meaty bacon. If emulating the (in)famous maple bacon bar from Voodoo was the goal, then this absolutely nails it. Sniffing this is addictive, quite honestly.

T: Each sip starts with good intentions: maple sweetness and woody smokiness that becomes 'bacon' only after some contemplation. Sadly, each sip devolves into brash and tinny bitterness, an abrasive tang like sucking on a penny. Another sip and more sugary glaze and donut sweetness... but then, again, more gut-churning and tongue-twisting bitterness and rancid smoke. Confounding, in that it's likable and detestable mere seconds apart.

M: A tingling, almost stinging, carbonation but an oil-slickened mouthfeel that's disappointingly thin. Long-lasting bitterness that's dull and metallic - need a tongue scraper to loose this one.

O: As a true 'smoked beer' this is a big-time FAIL when compared with German rauchbiers and the like. But as a novelty that aims to capture the essence of the maple bacon bar, then... well-played, Rogue. I enjoy these quirky one-offs and was able to finish a bottle with breakfast and over a half hour or so beyond; my wife, however, proclaimed this beer as 'TERR-ible', questioning why I'd drink any more after our mutual first sips. She didn't, I did. Fun to try, but not one to seek out for anything more than a novelty sampling.

2.43/5  rDev -22.6%

22oz bomber from Rogue Public House in Portland

A - Pours a reddish copper with 1.5 finger head. Head retention was pretty solid. Decent lacing.

S - Smokiness dominates the aroma followed by the very sweet smell from the maple syrup. The sweet and smoky smells are a bit overbearing. There is almost a meatiness aroma from the bacon I guess. No hoppiness here.

T - Very heavy on the smokiness. Some sweetness from the maple syrup. Then some more smoke. That's about it. The flavors didn't really work for me. Not sure what I was expecting.

M - Medium carbonation and medium-light bodied. The viscosity is not right here. It needs to be thicker or more robust like a porter. I did not find this to be an easy beer to put down.

O - Not a fan of this beer. The taste was lacking depth. If you love copious amounts of smoke and maple sweetness mixed with nothing else, then you might love this beer. I know this beer is intended to be more of a novelty so I don't want to completely slam it. I usually enjoy Rogue's beers. But this is one instance where I would much rather have the doughnut than the beer. The bottle is pretty joyed out looking though.

4.01/5  rDev +27.7%

Bottle shared by whiterascal, poured into a snifter.

Cider-brown, with just a touch of haze. A thin, silky off-white head fizzles away to a thin ring. Yeast chunks in the bottom.

Dear god, the glory of it. If I pass out, use this as smelling salts; I’ll be up in a flash. Smoked wood leads, followed by maple, savory bacon and sweet cotton candy. Sweetness reminds of donut glaze, like a maple bar. Turn down the smokiness just a touch, and this would be perfect.

The flavor’s a softer version of the aroma, but combines all the best parts. Smoke has been turned down, perfectly balanced with maple syrup and savory bacon/sausage. Get me some eggs, and this will be the perfect breakfast beer.

Medium-light body, with very soft carbonation. The clean finish shows off just a touch of bitterness.

Picture this scene: you’re young, and it’s summer. You wake up light, go downstairs, and find the parents have cooked breakfast. Bacon is sizzling on the stove, pancakes drizzled with syrup are waiting on the table. This is the beer that captures that moment. Plus, it’s phenomenal when paired with pigs in blankets.

3.89/5  rDev +23.9%

small white head on an amber body

Smells like pancakes! Maple syrup.

More pancakes. Slight smokiness. Very different, like nothing I've ever had before.

Medium mouthfeel, medium carbonation.

"In small doses this stuff is fantastic." -TATURBO. Agreed. Wouldn't want anymore than a few ounces but did enjoy my portion of a bottle split 8 ways. I recommend the doing the same.

3.42/5  rDev +8.9%

Thanks to whoever brought this one to Capone's. Sampled from a sampler glass.

A - Pours murky amber orange with a small half finger tall white head leaving light lace down the glass.

S - Smells of lots of smoke, a bit of maple sweetness and not much else. I like it for what it is but I really don't get a lot of maple or doughnut. More like a slightly sweet smoked porter.

T - Starts off with plenty of smoke slowly giving way to a mix of sweetness and even more smoke and that is about it. The nose are decent but the taste was a big let down. The finish is just like the beginning, smoke and sweetness, lingering for some time.

M - Medium body and flavor with moderate carbonation. Smokey, slightly sweet, feel that lingers through the finish.

O - Not bad but not great either. This is mostly just a glorified sweet smoked ale. If you have a good imagination you might like this one but just based off the beer it is just OK.

4.14/5  rDev +31.8%

This beer was poured from an incredible pink bottle with some Voodoo inspired art work. Nice. It was poured INTO a glass stein.

Appearance- It has three-fingers of toffee colored head that is extremely bubbly and soapy. The body is a modest orange-amber with tons of carbonation streams. The head retention is so-so and it certainly doesn't bother to leave behind any lace.

Smell- By far, the best smelling smoked beer I have had the pleasure of sniffing. If not one of the best beers in general I've ever put my nose to. The bacon fat was noticeable when I capped the bottle, and it certainly isn't going away any time soon.

My girlfriend said it "smells like breakfast". There is also loads of maple syrup, sugary sweet, and some wood smoke. Someone cooked bacon over a wood fire and drizzled maple syrup on top.That is my kind of breakfast.

Taste- It is good that this is classified as a smoked beer, because that is certainly what the expectation should be when you take the first sip. It starts with the smoked pork flavor and by mid drink you have the general wood smokiness.

The finish doesn't back off on the smoke, but does present a little malt sweetness that I guess you could say was syrupy, but I'm not really sensing maple syrup there. And again bacon grease is coming back once the drink is swallowed.

It tastes good if you are grading this as a smoked beer. Unfortunately, any kind of doughnut or maple quality is buried by the smoke and bacon flavors.

Mouth feel- This is the weakest aspect of the beer. It is entirely too light if there is supposed to be syrup and cake doughnut notes. It needs to be so much creamier, and bordering on full, and not bordering on medium bodied as is.

And with the strong smoke on the palate, it finishes a little more intense and dry than I would like.

Overall- Bottom line, it isn't the earth shattering bacon -doughnut beer that people hoped for, and I'm not sure whether I should be disappointed with Rogue or not. Because really, if you are a fan of smoked beer, there is absolutely no reason to track this one down, even if it is a one time drink.

On the nose, you have maple syrup drizzled bacon that jumps out of the glass. On the palate, you have bacon grease and smoke. A brewing company like Rogue certainly will not apologize for such a beer, and they have no reason to apologize to me.

3.47/5  rDev +10.5%

750 ml pepto pink bottle straight from the brewery. A collectors bottle, it's pretty awesome looking. Poured into two tulip glasses for purposes of a video review. Notes transcribed from the footage.

A: Clear copper/amber colored body with a decent white bubbly head that didn't stick around for too long. Really active carbonation, lots of bubbles clinging to the glass. A bit of lace and a thin retention ring is all that's left after the initial dissipation.

S: Wow, holy mother of all things that are applewood smoked bacon and maple syrup. Loads of sweet maple syrup and a smokey, meaty back end. In the middle, you honestly can smell a sugared doughy doughnut scent. It sort of smells like those deep fried, crystallized sugar covered doughnuts at the Chinese restaurants.

T: Now this is an interesting one. Starts off with sweet maple syrup that leads into a sugary plain doughnut. Let it settle on the palate after you swallow and tons of smoked bacon come through. It's smokey, meaty and salty but still retains some of that residual sugary flavor from the front of the palate. Complex, crazy, and strangely good. If you're trying to tell me this beer lacks flavor, please stop reviewing beers; your palate is terrible.

M: Bubbly, highly active carbonation but it doesn't ever feel thin or watery. Medium body not thick or sticky, just very easy drinking for a smoked beer.

This is insanity in a glass. And no doubt this will certainly be a polarizing beer. You absolutely need to be comfortable with smoked beers, sweet beers and have an open palate to appreciate all the complexities in this beer. I mean, what did you expect for a beer called "Voodoo Doughnut Maple Bacon Ale" - it's exactly what it's made out to be. Rogue took a huge chance on this beer and I think it paid off, they achieved what they set out to do. In closing, split this damn bottle, you'll get tired of even 12 ounces of it.

4.07/5  rDev +29.6%

Poured from a bottle into a Duvel tulip. Welp, here goes nothing

A- pours a very dark amber with a puffy, two finger offwhite head that quickly fades away. Lacing doesn't look too hot.

S- strong aroma of maple syrup, and I'm getting a little smoke in there too...it actually works out pretty nicely together

T- I'm drinking this expecting some sort of awful ashtray flavor that other reviewers have noted....and I'm not getting it. At all. Bottle variation, or Rogue bias? Regardless, what I AM getting is a slight hint of smoke in the finish, with some sweetness from the maple in the beginning. It's not really a powerful maple flavor, though...but it's there. And the smoke is fine, it's not anywhere near the level that people are claiming they're getting out of this.

M- medium bodied. Not much there

O- you know what? I really liked this. I think I'm going to order more. Thanks, Rogue

2.51/5  rDev -20.1%

A: 1 finger head, doesn't last long. Deep copper.

S: smoky, a little sweet maple

T: Dominated by smoke, not really a bacon flavor. A little maple, but no appreciable sweetness.

M: Fairly light body, long smoky finish. Dry.

O: So, I see this beer has been classified here as a Smoked Beer. And, I would say that's entirely correct now that I've tasted it. I'd also say that it's not really what I expected. The beer didn't evoke bacon for me at all, and the maple was barely there. I don't know what the brewers were aiming for, so it's hard to know how to judge this. If the goal was a smoked beer, they did fairly well. If their goal was, as you might have naively expected, to bottle the flavor of a maple bacon bar, they failed.

3.42/5  rDev +8.9%

HuskyinPDX hooked this one up for the Boise PEEPS... Thanks a Ton Aaron!!

Shared with Inflatablechair, Buckeyeboy, and reinheitsgematt.

Pours like a typical amber.. decent head and lacing...

The nose is surprisingly good.. no shit.. the aroma is about perfect version of a liquefied VooDoo Maple Bacon Bar.. sweet maple.. lite smoke.. even a little salty.

Flavor is thin when compared to the aroma.. thankfully not as sweet but still plenty of smoke and showing a maple element.. dry ... sorta ashy with warmth... The smoke comes in layers that bloom with the sugary essence..

Body seems too light for a "donut beer".. , that is normal for these kinds of novelty bottles...

Ohhhh sooo Oddd... weird... Rogue is normally a company that I give few nods to, but this one is worthy of a novelty head tilt for sure. Way to do things interestingly .. otherwise, this is an expensive throwaway.

Rogue should make this one much more available in the PNW... the Traders could do some damage.

I would still buy one occasionally if I could... I would still want the Pink bottle though.

3/3.5/3.5/3/3.5

2.66/5  rDev -15.3%

Finally got around to this experiment. I’ve had maple beers before, plenty of them. I’ve had Goose Island’s Maple Bacon stout and enjoyed it. But let’s face it, maple usually is an accompaniment to a darker heartier beer, and bacon would follow that mold, canceling out the darker heavier flavors. Here, we have both flavors in a lighter ale, a bold proposition. Given that this is classified as a “smoked beer” and a lighter ale, I was impressed with the nice full amber color and single finger of soft cloud like head. The aroma was quite stunning, sweet maple blasts the nose with salty bacon on the back, it’s a bit smokey which I like as well. It smells like breakfast and seriously smells incredible. The flavor though, is interesting, salty bacon, smokey and salty, its weird having a beverage thats so salty. It does have some chewy bread flavors that represent the doughnut. It doesn’t have a lot of maple flavors which I was wishing for, but it does have some sweetness which is nice to balance the salt. It’s not as thin as I was expecting based on other reviews but it’s not very heavy either.

Verdict: Worth the try for sure, quite the interesting experiment and I think it worked. This isn’t a world class beer or anything, but a really fun and interesting brew.

3.52/5  rDev +12.1%

A friend and I split a bottle of this at a Rogue pub in Portland the other day.

While distinctly a gimmick beer, this does deliver true to its name. The smoked flavors come on very strong from start to finish, and the maple sweetness makes you wonder if you're even drinking beer at all. This is distinctly not a porter; with a light body and color. Overall, the smokeyness is well-done despite being a bit overstated (almost certainly on purposes to achieve the "bacon-y" flavor) and the maple sweetness has to fight a bit to shine through.

It's worth noting, however, that these are perhaps not the best flavor choices for anything outside of the gimmick beer realm: I'm glad I had the experience, but once was enough. If you have the opportunity, however, give it a try just so that you can say you did. And save the funky pink piggy-leafy bottle for posterity.

3.54/5  rDev +12.7%

OK, first off...why is it assumed this was a porter? The bottle says "ale" and there are no dark malts in this beer. I think people are judging this beer based on expectations, and I have to blame Rogue for these expectations. When people see the word doughnut and maple they are most likely expecting a malty, syrupy beer.

A- Amber with a one finger white head that fades fast and leaves spotty lacing.

S- Amazing. Maple, cherry wood, hickory smoke and caramel.

T- Bitterness of hops peeks through. Lots of maple balances out with cherry wood smoke and hickory. Salty touch in finish as the beer warms. Clean malt lets smoke and maple shine.

M- Quite thin and unremarkable.

Overall, they did an ok job. Nothing phenominal. Neat gimmick misses the mark. Would be better with a porter body and more caramel malts for sweetness. The pacman yeast used ate all the sweetness away.

2.04/5  rDev -35%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

I had a tasting pour of this from a very generous fellow BA at Darkness Day.

A- lighter than I expect from a porter

S- Great, sweet maple and faint hints of smoke.

T- To quote Ralph Wiggum after eating tomacco, "This tastes like grandma!" It tasted like eating a cigarette.

M- For the little bit I could stomach long enough to get the feel, it wasn't a bad texture.

O- Probably one of the worst smoked beers I have ever had. I like to keep my reviews positive, but this is almost impossible to draw anything good from. I hope the pink bottle is an indicator of some sort of gimmicky joke. Rogue's beers are usually not at the top of my list (although the Dirtoir Noir and the JohnJohn Ale were extremly good), but I haven't had any (other than this one) that I would not gladly drink if offered to me.

Voodoo Doughnut Maple Bacon Ale from Rogue Ales