Voodoo Doughnut Chocolate, Banana & Peanut Butter Ale
Rogue Ales

Voodoo Doughnut Chocolate, Banana & Peanut Butter AleVoodoo Doughnut Chocolate, Banana & Peanut Butter Ale
Beer Geek Stats: | Print Shelf Talker
From:
Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States
Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Poor
Notes: Rogue Ales has again collided with Voodoo Doughnut to create Chocolate, Banana & Peanut Butter Ale! This unique artisan creation contains a baker's dozen ingredients including chocolate, banana and peanut butter to match Voodoo’s "Memphis Mafia" doughnut- a nod to Elvis' entourage
Reviews: 122 | Ratings: 767 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by pualie84:
3.75/5  rDev +33%

4.5/5  rDev +59.6%

I completely understand why everyone hates this beer. I didn't really truly love it myself, despite what my rating says. However, like any other beer, I feel it's fair to rate according to many metrics, and for the metric of "did this beer accomplish what it set out to do?" I have no choice but to rate it very highly. Chocolate, Banana, and Peanut Butter? This is not a combination I'd necessarily aim for. But they absolutely nailed it.

3.34/5  rDev +18.4%

bomber into snifter

look is a dark brown with minimal head/lacing and all that jazz/BB. smell is a very odd sweet smell, like artificial PB&J? its not a bad scent. just weird. taste is light and crisp, with roasted malts and a sweet burnt taste. not picking up any significant PB or chocolate, and absolutely no banana.

weird beer that doesn't taste bad, but fails at being what it describes.

2.5/5  rDev -11.3%

1.5/5  rDev -46.8%

1.61/5  rDev -42.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

I'm not proud of this, but I thought I'd give this a try. Bacon Maple wasn't awful!

A - this one pours a deep brown/off black with a decent looking mocha head; this is the only plus to this beer

S - there are some chocolate and sweet notes here, but no banana and no peanut butter; some medicinal bitters too

T - my lord, I had better tastes on my mouth after coming off of anesthesia; this beer straight up tastes like rubber, vinyl, and melting plastic; worst flavor beer I've ever had

M - I mean, I can't get past the flavors...the carbonation is ok I guess

O - this is the kind of shit that will make me never buy another Rogue beer again. I mean, cool for the experimentation, but who in the f at QC let this one be bottled? I feel completely ripped off for spending $13 on this bottle of waste. Instant drain pour.

2.28/5  rDev -19.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

Compact mocha head on top of a dark brown body, verging on black. Displays decent clingy lacing. Head drops down slowly, but gradually.

The aroma is confusing, muddled at first. It smells sweet, and it has that saccharine quality to it. It does come off as artificial, though nothing artificial is added here. Hints of banana Runts, peanut butter, and chocolate. There's nothing else to smell. It's exactly what it says.

Surprisingly it is not as sweet as I was expecting. Medium bodied beer. Only a tinge of bitterness on the finish, but no hop flavor. The flavor does not meet the aroma at all. There is no layering of flavor components whatsoever. The banana, peanut butter and chocolate are all in one extract and it's not sweet or anything. It merely gives the impression of sweetness, but there is none. It makes this beer feel far more artificial than it is. Not a great feeling at all. Body is on the lighter side, carbonation is great.

I'm sad about this beer. I wanted to think that people are dumb and are just drinking the haterade. But this isn't a good beer. I wouldn't drink again. It's thin and comes off as fake. They should sweeten the beer a bit, and maybe use more chocolate, more peanut butter, and less banana. That's my recommendation.

2.84/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

1.64/5  rDev -41.8%

I openly hate Rogue and I mega-hated the last Voodoo Abomination. That said, curiosity is a powerful force, so here I am drinking what is sure to be another egregious beer experience. Poured into a snifter.

3.5 A: Dark brown almost black color. Two fingers of frothy tan head. Retention is about average and a decent amount of lacing is left.

2.0 S: Hmmm. This is certainly unholy and I'm sure that Satan bathes in this, but I can't figure out how much I hate it or even if I hate it. Well, I'm pretty sure I hate it. I guess this is what I'd expect from a chocolate, peanut butter, and banana plug-in air freshener. It pretty much reeks of artificial. The main and only aromas that aren't blocked out are the banana, peanut butter, and chocolate. For how much this beer cost, they could have used real chocolate and peanuts and got banana out of the yeast, but that wouldn't be the bullshit way of making this.

1.25 T: It certainly also tastes like what is in it - chocolate extract, banana extract, and peanut butter extract. It doesn't matter how good the extract is, it's always the same and it's always shitty in beer. This tastes like a homebrew experiment. The flavors are artificial, don't flow well at all, and are all either too intense or muted. This has way too much bitterness for what it is. There's too much astringency (I guess from one of the extracts). The base offers no mediation. I don't care enough to attempt to pick out any flavors below the mess. It tastes like extract.

2.5 M: They even fucked up the mouthfeel. It has a lighter medium body made lighter by the fact that it's overcarbonated. No creaminess and certainly not smooth.

1.0 D: This beer is so shitty and so ungodly expensive that I can only assume that whoever brewed it and whoever priced it are going to be sitting in it someday in Satan's bathhouse. It should be obvious that I would never buy it again. I wouldn't even accept a free bottle. Hell, I wouldn't even accept a free bottle if it came with a good local sixer if it meant I had to drink this again. The only redeeming aspect of this beer is that it scratched my curiosity itch, albeit at great cost.

2.58/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

The aroma just like eating a banana.
Flavor: Little watery. at around 5% it was ok
I prefer if it had more of peanut butter character. The doughnut glaze in the middle of the taste was a little different.
The overall: was like eating a light banana with no other ingredients like they mentioned.

3.01/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Pours a dark black color. Crazy aroma of chocolate and banana. Reminds me of those half banana, half chocolate lollipops from Mexico.

The taste is crazy also, with roasted malt and peanut butter melding into some Cocoa flavor finishing with banana. Vanilla flavors arise due to all the sweetness. Banana flavor tends to grow as I drink. Slight doughy sweetness in the finish also. This beer is a schizophrenic journey to flavor town. The downside is the near cloying sweetness, but it certainly is more of a dessert. A one of a kind concoction, the roasted malt adds much needed contrast. Extreme beer.

Light bodied, thinner mouthfeel. Overall, this is a unique dessert beer. A bit on the sweet side just like the whole voodoo doughnut line of beers, but that's ok, it would taste worse if this were highly hopped.

3.25/5  rDev +15.2%