Voodoo Doughnut Chocolate, Banana & Peanut Butter Ale | Rogue Ales

Voodoo Doughnut Chocolate, Banana & Peanut Butter AleVoodoo Doughnut Chocolate, Banana & Peanut Butter Ale
2.8/5
Poor

Rogue Ales
Oregon, United States
rogue.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Rogue Ales has again collided with Voodoo Doughnut to create Chocolate, Banana & Peanut Butter Ale! This unique artisan creation contains a baker's dozen ingredients including chocolate, banana and peanut butter to match Voodoo’s "Memphis Mafia" doughnut- a nod to Elvis' entourage

Added by UCLABrewN84 on 12-03-2012

4.9/5  rDev +75%

I guess to each their own. I really loved this beer. It poured nice and dark like a stout with a nice latte like creamy brown head. The taste was quite different but very good. It kind of reminded me of when I make myself peanut butter banana protein shakes with chocolate protein powder. Overall I'd drink it again. I only docked half a point off the overall due to the price of this beer. 15 bucks for one bomber just seems a bit steep to me.

4.75/5  rDev +69.6%

4.5/5  rDev +60.7%

I completely understand why everyone hates this beer. I didn't really truly love it myself, despite what my rating says. However, like any other beer, I feel it's fair to rate according to many metrics, and for the metric of "did this beer accomplish what it set out to do?" I have no choice but to rate it very highly. Chocolate, Banana, and Peanut Butter? This is not a combination I'd necessarily aim for. But they absolutely nailed it.

4.45/5  rDev +58.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I enjoy this brew. I'm not one for the mixing in of fruits. I like my beers dark, thick and often roasted. But this is different and I like it. It starts with a sutle chocolate and ends with a bang of banana, and I light peanut butter flavor. I can actually smell it more than taste it.

I enjoy this very much and it one of my normal drinker.

4.32/5  rDev +54.3%

4.25/5  rDev +51.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.24/5  rDev +51.4%

4.23/5  rDev +51.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pours a dark red-brown colour, murky. Head is pale beige, nice small bubbles but a bit thin. Decent, though.

Fucking intense aroma, but I love it. Huge vanilla-bean smell with cinnamon, Benedictine and chocolate liqueur. Utterly unique. Amazing.

Taste is more mellow. Vanilla again, with big cocoa-rich chocolate, some cinnamon and a touch of cardamom. Disappointingly weak at the back though. Sort of runs out of steam, like we're done with the flavour, enjoy raising the kids on your own now I'm done orgasming in your senses. Still that flavour upfront is great. I have no regrets.

Smooth, fluid mouthfeel. No complaints.

I tasted this blind, and have a feeling this will be right up there with my most positive deviations from the norm. But I found this an outstandingly idiosyncratic beer. Amazing flavours just socking you all right up in your tastebuds. No regrets. No complaints.

4.2/5  rDev +50%

I liked it just fine, couldn't rate it anything other than poor without a review, which is stupid.

4.19/5  rDev +49.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Pours very dark brown, almost black, with little head an little retention. Still has decent lacing. Peanut butter & chocolate are evident in the nose, but I'm not picking up any banana. Follows through in taste. Goes down super sooth. No aftertaste. A solid stout. Not as sweet as the bacon maple edition. I like both, but I think the bacon maple version is superior.

4.16/5  rDev +48.6%

4.14/5  rDev +47.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured from bottle into a pint glass

Appearance – The beer pours a deep-deep cola brown color with a one finger tan colored head composed of tons of fizzy bubbles. The head fades rather rapidly leaving some foamy lace on the sides of the glass and islands of foam on the top of the brew.

Smell – The aroma is huge of a sweet, somewhat artificial banana smell. The banana reminds me of the scent of banana runts, and before tasting made me think I was going to be having a sweet candy like brew. Complementing the banana nicely is a peanut butter smell which mixed with a doughy smell to produce a somewhat peanut butter banana sandwich aroma. Along with these aromas are some other lighter smells of a cocoa nature as well as some sugary toffee smells and a little bit of coffee. Actually, even though the banana was somewhat artificial in nature, the aroma was very appealing overall.

Taste – While the taste was relatively sweet, it was not nearly as I would have anticipated from the noise and was actually more roasty tasting then what anticipated. The taste begins with a brown sugar and toffee flavor mixed with a nice lighter banana and cocoa flavor. Along with these flavors there was also a sweet doughy taste which creates a nice base for the flavors of the brew. As the taste moves on, the banana get more pronounced and takes on a somewhat banana runt like flavor as would be anticipated from the nose. More toward the end, some peanut flavors come to the tongue, nicely complimenting the cocoa and banana flavors of the brew. With the increase in the drier cocoa flavors as well as the peanut butter flavor and a newly encountered coffee flavor that comes to the tongue at the end, a moderately sweet (but not too sweet) roasted coffee and cocoa peanut butter runt like banana doughnut flavor is left to linger on the tongue.

Mouthfeel – The body of the beer is on the slightly thinner side with a carbonation level that is rather average. The higher carbonation was rather nice for the sweeter and banana flavors of the brew, but a bit more body may have given it a nice thicker and chewier feel, nicely accentuating the roasted and
“doughnut” like characteristics of the brew.

Overall – This was really quite an enjoyable novelty brew. While somewhat artificial in banana, it had a nice candy like smell and flavor that melded well with the darker and roasted doughnut like characteristics of the brew. While I was not a fan of the Voodoo Doughnut Maple Bacon ale, the Voodoo Doughnut Chocolate banana and peanut butter ale is delicious and even although it is rather overpriced it is one you should likely try at least once.

Voodoo Doughnut Chocolate, Banana & Peanut Butter Ale from Rogue Ales