Voodoo Doughnut Chocolate, Banana & Peanut Butter Ale | Rogue Ales

poor
Voodoo Doughnut Chocolate, Banana & Peanut Butter AleVoodoo Doughnut Chocolate, Banana & Peanut Butter Ale

Rogue Ales
Oregon, United States
rogue.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Rogue Ales has again collided with Voodoo Doughnut to create Chocolate, Banana & Peanut Butter Ale! This unique artisan creation contains a baker's dozen ingredients including chocolate, banana and peanut butter to match Voodoo’s "Memphis Mafia" doughnut- a nod to Elvis' entourage

Added by UCLABrewN84 on 12-03-2012

2.9

1.5/5  rDev -48.3%

2.82/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 1 | overall: 2.75

1 PT 9.4 FL. OZ. bottle
Served in an imperial nonic pint glass

A - It is pretty dark with some ruby highlights. I normal pour yielded me a mountain of creamy mocha head.

S - I smell milk chocolate and floral hops.

T - At first I noticed a lot of chocolate and thought "Hey this might be a good beer!" Then I got the taste of dish soap. I get some bitter roasted malt on the finish, and if I use my imagination I can taste a little peanut butter and banana.

M - It is medium bodied and leaves a coating on my tongue for which I do not care.

O - I had hoped this beer would be better than the Maple Bacon Ale. I was wrong. It started out good until the second drink. It tastes like chocolate dish soap. How can two beers with such great sounding ingredients be so bad? Rogue has a lot better beers than this.

3.25/5  rDev +12.1%

3.75/5  rDev +29.3%

1.75/5  rDev -39.7%

3.59/5  rDev +23.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a Dogfish Head pint glass. Pours a dark mahogany brown with a healthy two finger light brown head with great retention and massive lacing. Interesting sweet aroma of milk chocolate, stone fruit juice, hints of peanut butter and bananas, quite estery. Flavor is mild chocolate, nuts, vanilla, hint of banana, finishes drier with toasted malt and light hop bitterness. Light bodied with decent carbonation. Like the last Voodoo, this was a beer that for the first time in my life, I really wanted a paper bag to make sure that no one saw me buying it. And like the last one, I approached with trepidation but still found it an interesting, if not great ale. This tastes like a decent chocolate ale that has been watered down and blended with a light lager. You can almost taste decent ingredients crying to assert themselves. Kudos to Rogue for trying to push the envelope, but I can't help but think that this could have been better with a more substantial (dark and toasted malt) body, to support the sweet flavors. I had a good time drinking this because Rogue pretty much shows you what you're going to get with the label and the flavors were fun and interesting if rather thin and attenuated. Still definitely a one and done. Will I be tempted by the next version of the pink bottle again? Sadly, probably yes.

3.25/5  rDev +12.1%

1.44/5  rDev -50.3%

I usually only do reviews for beers I'm more amped/pumped to try... I am a lazy writer, and I think it makes me focus more on the subtleties and nuances when I take the time to jot it down (maybe ?). However, I'm only doing this review as a sort of finger shaking/waving at Rogue. In fact, after trying this beer, I am done with the Rogue brewery altogether. Rogue was one of the first breweries I got into when I first started drinking craft beer, so it is a shame I have to have such an adverse reaction to them at this point. Lately, it has become apparent to me hat they are flat out making stupid decisions in order to gain press in the form of shock value...beer made from pages of Moby Dick, beard yeast?

I cannot believe they are charging roughly $13 for this beer, and I cannot believe someone in that company thought it was a good decision to release it at that price point. For the price alone, this beer is atrocious, and I have never been so glad to not have paid for a beer in all my life. I have one bottle left, and I am giving away to my neighbor.

Voodoo Doughnut Chocolate, Banana & Peanut Butter Ale from Rogue Ales