Voodoo Doughnut Chocolate, Banana & Peanut Butter Ale | Rogue Ales

Voodoo Doughnut Chocolate, Banana & Peanut Butter AleVoodoo Doughnut Chocolate, Banana & Peanut Butter Ale
2.8/5
Poor

Rogue Ales
Oregon, United States
rogue.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Rogue Ales has again collided with Voodoo Doughnut to create Chocolate, Banana & Peanut Butter Ale! This unique artisan creation contains a baker's dozen ingredients including chocolate, banana and peanut butter to match Voodoo’s "Memphis Mafia" doughnut- a nod to Elvis' entourage

Added by UCLABrewN84 on 12-03-2012

2.75/5  rDev -1.8%

2.63/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

This had been staring me in the face every time i walked by it and I finally capitulated. I wasn't enamoured with, but did enjoy the maple bacon doughnut beer and the novelty was worth the purchase. With this? Not so much.

A: Dark, dark brown like a porter. Big fluffy head that receded quickly yet managed to stay around. Decent enough-looking beer.

S: Very smooth and chocolate malty. I can pick up the banana and peanut butter in the nose, but just barely. Despite the initial big head this does not have much of a nose to it. As a I drink more the banana becomes more pronounced in this nose.

T: Quite bitter but not... a pleasant bitter. Someone else mentioned dish soap in their review and that's the aftertaste which remains on my tongue. The chocolate is certainly there but the banana and peanut butter are but a faint whisper. Probably for the best. This is very poorly balanced. Not actively unpleasant to drink, but far from tasty.

M: This is a pretty hefty beer to drink, not something I could have several of (even if I was a big fan of it). I imagined something very smooth. This is not smooth.

Overall: A serious misfire from a brewery that I can usually rely on for rock-solid beers. It's still beer, I'll still drink it and enjoy the act of drinking beer, but it doesn't taste very nice and there's a great deal of it in this obnoxious bottle.

1.5/5  rDev -46.4%

2.82/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 1 | overall: 2.75

1 PT 9.4 FL. OZ. bottle
Served in an imperial nonic pint glass

A - It is pretty dark with some ruby highlights. I normal pour yielded me a mountain of creamy mocha head.

S - I smell milk chocolate and floral hops.

T - At first I noticed a lot of chocolate and thought "Hey this might be a good beer!" Then I got the taste of dish soap. I get some bitter roasted malt on the finish, and if I use my imagination I can taste a little peanut butter and banana.

M - It is medium bodied and leaves a coating on my tongue for which I do not care.

O - I had hoped this beer would be better than the Maple Bacon Ale. I was wrong. It started out good until the second drink. It tastes like chocolate dish soap. How can two beers with such great sounding ingredients be so bad? Rogue has a lot better beers than this.

3.25/5  rDev +16.1%

3.75/5  rDev +33.9%

1.75/5  rDev -37.5%

3.59/5  rDev +28.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a Dogfish Head pint glass. Pours a dark mahogany brown with a healthy two finger light brown head with great retention and massive lacing. Interesting sweet aroma of milk chocolate, stone fruit juice, hints of peanut butter and bananas, quite estery. Flavor is mild chocolate, nuts, vanilla, hint of banana, finishes drier with toasted malt and light hop bitterness. Light bodied with decent carbonation. Like the last Voodoo, this was a beer that for the first time in my life, I really wanted a paper bag to make sure that no one saw me buying it. And like the last one, I approached with trepidation but still found it an interesting, if not great ale. This tastes like a decent chocolate ale that has been watered down and blended with a light lager. You can almost taste decent ingredients crying to assert themselves. Kudos to Rogue for trying to push the envelope, but I can't help but think that this could have been better with a more substantial (dark and toasted malt) body, to support the sweet flavors. I had a good time drinking this because Rogue pretty much shows you what you're going to get with the label and the flavors were fun and interesting if rather thin and attenuated. Still definitely a one and done. Will I be tempted by the next version of the pink bottle again? Sadly, probably yes.

Voodoo Doughnut Chocolate, Banana & Peanut Butter Ale from Rogue Ales