Rogue Farms Fresh Roast | Rogue Ales

Rogue Ales
Oregon, United States
rogue.com

Style: American Brown Ale

A dark, bold, roasty ale reminiscent of fresh-brewed coffee. Just imagine that smell of freshly brewed coffee wafting through the air early in the morning.

Added by TheSixthRing on 07-04-2013

3.93/5  rDev +1%

I am a sucker for a low-priced bomber bottle of beer & this was yet one more example thereof. I brought it along to a friend's board game party last night & brought the remainder home for a review.

From the bottle: "Dare*Risk*Dream"; "Rogue Farms[:] This Rogue was brewed using ingredients grown on Rogue Farms in Oregon. From ground to glass, we're proud to say it's a true taste of Rogue terroir. To learn more about Rogue Farms and the Grown Your Own Revolution visit us online at Rogue.com"; "Dedicated to Farmers & Fermenters"; "Rogue Fresh Roast is made with Rogue Farms barley fresh roasted at the brewery. The barley is taken directly out of the roaster and rushed 273 feet over to the brew kettle. We don't think it gets much fresher than that and we know you'll taste the difference."

I Pop!ped the oxygen fixing cap & dared to risk a dreamy, albeit gentle, pour into my awaiting glass. Once freed of its captor, an in-glass swirl caused just over a finger of dense, creamy, foamy, light-tan head to rush up to greet me. I fought off the farmer's daughter's advances & she retreated, leaving sticky lacing in her wake. Color was Dark Brown to Very Dark Brown (SRM = > 27, < 34) with caramel cola highlights at the edges. Nose was rich with a roasty smokiness, much akin to my morning cup of coffee. I am a retired U.S. Navy sailor & I learned to drink hot, black coffee from a Senior Chief Bosun's Mate who advised me that weaning myself off of "hot milkshakes" would pay off in the long run. I am unsure of that, but I do know that I now eschew cream and/or sugar. Mouthfeel was medium, surprisingly light for its darkness. The taste was quite smoky and roasty with a light Dark Chocolatiness underlying the initial flavors. The finish was dry, roasty & fulfilling. One was enough for me, even opened with friends, but YMMV.

One of the joys of home brewing is to enjoy a brew or two (or 5) on brew day. What to drink on bottling day? I had a 650 mL bottle of Rouge Fresh Roast sitting around, thought I'd give it a go; by myself I might add.
Poured out of the bottle, into a pint glass, everything about it screams brown. A modest tan head dissipates but retains quite well as a creamy film, with patches of lacing clinging to the glass.
In the nose, there is a moderate sweetness from the brown malts, light to medium roast, as well as a dark fruit quality-I'm thinking raisins or prunes dipped with a touch of alcohol. Furthermore, there is a light scent of coffee roast as well as a strong helping of nuts- I'm thinking almonds.
There are several aspects of the taste that remind me of a Porter or lighter stout. There is a mellow and soft smoothness to its roasted malt flavor that is pleasant; I guess this is what they mean by a quiet drink? There is a moderate coffee roast that adds bitterness. In the background there is a light and sweet creaminess. Other flavors include brown bread, nuts, and a bold earthy hops bite. Medium bodied and very drinkable.
I feel like brown ale is an overlooked style that can often be underrated. I like this one. It is complex and understated at the same time.

4.1/5  rDev +5.4%

3.78/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

3.59/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Honestly, doesn't smell great. But everything else about this brew is great. Visually, nice depth in the color and head texture. Great flavor. Not as thick as a classic stout, but texture of a brown ale with more coffee notes.

4.24/5  rDev +9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.05/5  rDev +4.1%

02/13/15
Aroma: grainy, malty, toast.
Appearance: dark dark brown, almost black. Medium tan head.
Taste: touch of coffee, toast,
Feel, medium thick, with some bubbles.A nice beer.

Easy drinking, smooth, delicious.

3.77/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.89/5  rDev 0%

4.08/5  rDev +4.9%

3.49/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.58/5  rDev -8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.6/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.75/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.13/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

3.82/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

2.54/5  rDev -34.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

3.9/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Slightly hazy amber color with beige head. Aroma has earthy hops and a touch of sweet coffee. Taste is mostly hoppy but on the finish there is a slight roastiness. Overall it tastes like a black IPA, quite good.

4.8/5  rDev +23.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

3.86/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I had this one at a restaurant in a pint glass. It looked great. A dark-red/brown body to it with a tan, creamy head. It smelled great. You got that roasted scent to it with a hint of booziness. Not overwhelming, though. Creamy taste, very creamy in fact. It wasn't what I was expecting. It tasted good, don't get me wrong, I did enjoy the roasted coffee flavor from it. But it ended up with quite the bitter twang to it. Something was off. Its definitely trending more toward a porter, to me, than an ale. Its a good one that I imagine I'll try again just to give it another shot, but not one that I believe I'll have more than that.

4.03/5  rDev +3.6%

Yay, a dark roasted brew with no coffee! Appearance is lovely, with a pile of beige foam. Color is deep red-brown in the tall Blanche de Chambly glass. Sudsy mouthfeel. Sweep malt greets the lips. Pleasant and deeply malty with yes, a vast assortment of roasted flavors. Cocoa flavors with the burnt barley notes.

Hops don't play much part in this, but there's a scratchy bitter twang in the finish. So nicely made and so frothy yet substantial in the mouth. Overall this is the best Rogue beer I've had in a couple of years, so I hope it's a good trend. An admirable Brown Ale with more going for it than so many in this category. From the 22 oz bottle purchased at Community Co-op in Bellingham.

3.49/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

4.17/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

3.14/5  rDev -19.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Rogue Farms Fresh Roast from Rogue Ales