Beard Beer

Rotating
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Good
Beard BeerBeard Beer
Notes:
Reviews: 78 | Ratings: 480 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by Hopyard57:
2.75/5  rDev -22.8%

4.68/5  rDev +31.5%

Look: medium brown/ dark honey color, smell: lemon, grass, hops., feel: light and not overly carbonated., taste: not overly sweet or bitter, has a sort of Belgian beer taste. Overall, in my opinion, a very drinkable beer for those warm summer days!

2.75/5  rDev -22.8%

3.8/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.65/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I wasn't sure where to catergorize this beer so I'll keep it where it is here on BA.Poured into an impy nonic a clear lighter golden colot with a nice tightly formed half finger white head atop.Yeasty phenols in the nose that gives off a little chalkiness and herbal notes.Flavors of chalk and herb with mild citric notes,the yeast is dominant.Not bad but it's par for the course in my opinion.

3.83/5  rDev +7.6%

22 oz. bottle, with no apparent bottled on date present. Surprisingly saw this sitting on the shelf at the local beer store, so intrigue forced me to pick one up. Going in as unbiased as possible; I haven't got much idea what to expect.

Poured into an over-sized wine glass.

A - Pours a bright burnt orange colored body with some bubbles streaming topside. Just under two fingers of soapy off-white foam. Some spotty lacing, but none of it really sticks. Looks pretty nice for what it is.

S - Smell is more witbier than it is American wild ale, but this was to be expected based on the reviews of others. Baked banana bread, brown sugar, honey, hint of yeast, and some cloves.

T - Taste follows the nose: banana breadiness, clove spice, white pepper, faint citrus, and just a hint of yeast funk. Definitely more of a witbier than it is American wild ale.

M - Feel ends pretty clean with just a bit of stickiness lingering. Crisp and clean. Light bodied with good carbonation.

Overall, an easy drinking beer, although clearly more of a witbier than it is an American wild ale, despite the 'wild yeast' involved. Not entirely sure I would want this again, but it was well worth the try. A unique beer.

Rogue Beard Beer ---4/5.

3.62/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

So, I have to admit that I was apprehensive about this beer. Something about beer, made from beard yeast, seemed offsetting. However, it's not half bad. Mostly clear gold in color, with a two finger white head, the beer is attractive. The smell is fruity, like apple and citrus peel, and the taste is moderately tart. Some sweetness, that really comes out in the mid-taste through the finish. Medium-full in body. Earthy. Not bad.

4.25/5  rDev +19.4%

3.26/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Purchased at Liquor Shed with some apprehension.

A hazy medium gold/yellow colour, the foam does it's thing with a good head and good lacing.

The nose, to me, has a lot of citrus and clove, maybe not so much citrus, more of a coriander smell. I get some sweet that reminds me of candi sugar, a hint of something directing me towards the tart but maybe not.

Okay, the taste doesn't live up to the smell. Clove, some coriander, a hint or 2 of pepper, some sweetness that, how do I put this, comes from a low grade candi sugar, if that even exists. The smell was lively and vibrant, tasting leaves a bit to desired for my palate.

This beer does pretty much nothing for my palate. Yeah, I glad I tried it and got this review in but this is definitely a one off.

3.86/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Mildly translucent golden color with little head to speak of initially, though the dregs of the bomber produced more when poured. Color is quite pleasing though, for what it's worth.

Smell has notes of fresh wet laundry from the washer, corn husks, and white bread.

Taste is mild and pleasant, with bready, grainy undertones sprawling all around and a surprisingly snappy, mild peppery finish.

Mouthfeel is quite lively. The body is fairly thick but there's a good, interesting carbonation that makes this a pleasure to drink.

I always enjoy a good wild ale. While this one is pretty tame compared to many, the idea is novel and also hilarious, and comedy earns points in my book. The product is certainly enjoyable enough too.

2.25/5  rDev -36.8%

3.97/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

A high school classmate and contemporary drinking buddy, Mike, came over last night and we laid waste to a bunch of bombers. Bombers are a real sticking point in my backlog as I do not like to drink them by myself. I could, but I like when others help me to do so. This one came from Monde Market in Philly when I could not resist my own curiosity. For those that may not have seen me IRL, either in pictures or in person, I have a ten-plus year growth of beard as the result of my distaste for shaving. I retired from the U.S. Navy almost sixteen years ago and vowed not to shave unless told to do so for employment. I encourage everyone, men and women alike, to put down the razor! Who knows what kind of wild yeast we are losing out on because of shaving ...

From the bottle: "Dedicated to Beards"; "Beard Beer is brewed with a yeast created from Brewmaster John Maier's beard. No need to freak out, brewers have used wild yeasts in beer making for centuries. John has had the same old growth beard since 1978 and for over 15,000 brews, so it is no great surprise that a natural yeast ideal for brewing was discovered in his beard."; "What does Beard Beer taste like? Try it, we think you'll be surprised ..."; For more information on Beard beer, follow the beard @ www.johnsbeard.com".

I popped of the "Oxygen Fixing Cap" and proceeded with a generous aggro pour for each of us, resulting in a finger of foamy, bone-white head with limited retention. Nose smelled like Snak Pack Vanilla Pudding, taking both of us back to our childhood. Oh, the memories! Color was golden-yellow (SRM = 4 - 5, but they measured Lovibond = 6) with NE-quality clarity. Mouthfeel was full and kind of viscous. If the whole idea makes you queasy, this may not help. The taste had a definite yeast-driven spiciness, akin to a Belgian Golden Ale, along with a lemony zestiness. Another very dry beer with a peppery, spicy finish that lingered well past the swallow. If I had not been told anything about it, I might have guessed it to be an unfiltered German Pilsner.

3.6/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Brewed with yeast cultivated from the brewer's beard, that's probably enough to put some people off. But I'm game for anything. 22oz bomber purchased from Platinum Liquor in Bellevue Hill.

Pours a slightly hazy orange colour, strange because it looked quite clear in the bottle, so had maybe been disturbed. Head is a pancake-pocked film of pure white that leaves some streaky lace. Powdery carbonation. It looks decent enough.

Nose is slightly Belgian in character, with some hint of funky Brett-like aromas. Slight vegetative overtones, some green olive and a bit of spice. In any case, most of the aroma comes from the yeast, and it's fairly neutral otherwise. I guess that's the point.

Taste is bright, light, and fairly clean. Slight bready yeastiness on the back, along with a hint of astringency and a touch of spice. Finish is smooth bur rather empty: perhaps just a touch of salt or acid. Feel is light, but relatively smooth.

It's pretty drinkable, and honestly, pretty dull. Apart from the gimmick of its genesis, there's not a whole heap here that makes this stand apart. Unless you care, and know, what it is, it's a perfectly decent, perfectly forgettable brew.

Beard Beer from Rogue Ales