Beard Beer | Rogue Ales

Style: American Wild Ale

Added by TheSixthRing on 07-05-2013

1.25/5  rDev -64.7%

1.5/5  rDev -57.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Monotone jock strap in all aspects. But may have just been my bottle, taste at your judgement.

1.81/5  rDev -48.9%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

Poured into a standard pint glass.

A - 2.25 - Poured a clear gold with lot of murky haze. For the ABV being so low, this beer has absolutely pathetic head potential and retention, pretty much nonexistent.
S - 1.75 - Smells like a domestic beer. There MIGHT be the absolute most faint trace of a grapefruit hoppy smell far far in the background, but aromas of beers such as Bud Light, Keystone and Coors take center stage.
T - 1.25 - There is a decently pleasant sweetness upfront with a nice bite of carbonation, but suddenly a foul farmhouse-esque funk sets in, ending with a sharp metallic bite. Not pleasant in the least. After taste is quite pleasant though.
F - 3.5 - Decently crispy, medium thin body. Slight bit of oiliness to it.
O - 1.5 - The upfront flavors and after taste are decent, but the main bulk of the experience is a harsh and metallic one. I'm glad I purchased for the novel concept of the beer and to keep the bottle, but the experience of it was pretty bad.

2.16/5  rDev -39%

2.19/5  rDev -38.1%

650 ML bottle
Served in a pint glass

L - It is golden in color with a slight haze. It is topped with three inches of off-white head.

S - It smells skunked. I get a little funk, but the Corona/ass smell overpowers my nose.

T - It tastes like a Corona was left out in the Mexican desert for a week in the summer. Then it was exposed to wild yeast.

M - Moderate

O - That is six dollars that I wish I still had in my pocket.

2.25/5  rDev -36.4%

2.32/5  rDev -34.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.45/5  rDev -30.8%

Pours two fingers of head on a cloudy medium straw colored body.
The aroma is a little smoke, green olives in brine, aged creek water and old vegetables. Not awesome.
The taste is younger creek water, mild lemon bitterness and a watery finish.
The texture is softer with moderate carbonation.
I would never drink this again. An idea worth enjoying as a homebrew experiment.

2.55/5  rDev -28%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

I'm not sure what this beer is. It says it's a wild ale but it tastes very plain.

2.6/5  rDev -26.6%

2.7/5  rDev -23.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

2.7/5  rDev -23.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

From Baird Beer we go to Beard Beer [There. See. Did. I. What?]. Yes, I hear your collective groans at yet another review of another Rogue brew... What?! That groan was about my terrible Baird/Beard pun? I thought it was rather clever and dashing, like James Bond’s underpants - the Sean Connery James Bond of course... anyway I’ve got this and another Rogue beer to review as they were the only examples of styles I’ve never tried that I could get my hands on - in Beard Beers case ‘American Wild Ale’ - though I have [spoiler alert] read reviews saying it was a lacklustre example of the style, I don’t care - I want to review one of every style *evil chanting* “one of every style, one of every style”.

Poured from a ye olde weird American-sized 650ml tallie into a Duvel tulip.

A: Oh yeah, before you drink this beer do yourself a favour and DO NOT READ where it gets its name. This fine brew presents itself with a hazy orange body and an immense 1 and a half inch white head that soon whittles down to a less-immense 1 cm, because I love throwing metric and imperial in the same sentence. 7/10.

S: Stewed vegetable alert: This brew smells like stewed vegetables. That is all. I hope this isn’t going to be a Delirium Tremens [I’m talking about my review of DT not actual DT which would also suck] introduction to the American Wild Ale style. Hints of sweet caramel malt and some spiciness struggle to overcome the stewed veggies but they have a real fight on their hands with this funk. 2/10.

T: Flavour is a huge step up (though I still suspect this is an infected bottle) with a Belgian Tripel-esque profile: Sweet candi sugar/honey base, coriander spice, cider apple and cloves. The stew vegetables still comes through if you breath in whilst sipping - it’s a bizarre and distracting note that kind of ruins this beer a little. It has a hint of tartness and is dry in the finish. 7/10.

M: Mid to light bodied with a prickly but light carbonation. 7/10.

D: The story behind the beer didn’t get me retching - yeast is yeast no matter where/how it was raised so really there’s little difference between beard yeast and the cellar yeast where Lambics are brewed. What did make me retch, and really struggle to finish this brew, was the stewed veggie aroma that I’ve only encountered before in Delirium Tremens - I did a re-review of that brew and found that it must have been an infected bottle - I don’t have that luxury with this being a one-off limited release, however it served its box-ticking purpose, NEXT! 5/10.

Food match: Vegetable stew anyone???

2.75/5  rDev -22.3%