Porkslap Pale Ale | Butternuts Beer & Ale

Porkslap Pale AlePorkslap Pale Ale

Butternuts Beer & Ale
New York, United States
butternutsbeerandale.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by John on 03-04-2006

F-ing horrible. I wish I could give this a 0. Pours a creepy orange with no head. Looks like the urine of a man whose liver has stopped working. Very metallic. Cloying malts, hop bitterness, but no aroma. Salty. I wish I could go back in time and not drink it.

As you can tell - I hated it.

1.03/5  rDev -67.8%

Terrible beer. The only thing worse than this beer are the other beers made by this brewery. They are simply the worst beers I have ever had. Terrible.

1.16/5  rDev -63.8%

This beer's aroma and taste was awful. Hop character was seriously lacking and off flavors were strong - presumably from either the strain of yeast or style of brewing.
Very disappointing and not recommended to anyone looking for a crisp pale ale - even if looking for a light summer ale.

1.23/5  rDev -61.6%

Purchased one can from a six pack shop. Can says "All Malt" on outside. No freshness date. Grain and spice hit your nose before the first sip. Coriander and spice leave a skunk pumpkin pie flavor. This beer is for sure one to avoid. Sure misses the mark of a pale ale.

1.25/5  rDev -60.9%

1.25/5  rDev -60.9%

1.75/5  rDev -45.3%

1.75/5  rDev -45.3%

1.76/5  rDev -45%

Poured from 12oz can...

A- Pours a pumpkin orange color with hints of brown toward it. One finger off white head shows poor retention. Some light spotty lacing on the sides of the glass.

S- This is a interesting aroma..as in intersting because it is nothing that I figured it wouls be. The aroma opens up with caramel malts which seems to overcome most of the rest of the nose. Hints of bready notes and butterscotch throughout the whole nose. Very faded or just light grassy hops in the ending. This reminds me of Mishawaka Brewing Company's Four Horseman Ale almost perfect (although its been a while since I have had it).

T- Bready caramel malts start this one off. This makes not only the underbody but almost the entire flavor profile for 90% of the beer. Some light butterscotch notes linger here and there. Ending has some light (or just faded) piney flavor. There is something off about this beer besides the balance. I can't put my finger on it though.

M- Medium mouthfeel. Carbonation is low for the style. Caramel malts are left all over the palate coating it in a sweetness. Aftertaste is mostly caramel malts, hints of light alcohol, and faded piney hops. This beer is out of balance with which the caramel malts dominate the beer altogether. There is a strange off flavor to this beer that I can't quite put my finger on...almost a homebrew like off flavor but I don't know for sure. Light alcohol drying on the palate.

O- I thought this beer was a horrible tasting beer. This is the first time I have had a super malty pale ale that was as I have read seems to be what they are going for. Light ABV means you could drink this one all night long but I don't know why you would. A horrible offering in my opinion. Glad I did get to try this one though.

1.84/5  rDev -42.5%

12oz can into a pint glass after work. My 1st from Butternuts.(LOL)

Into the glass, Porkslap pale is darker than normal with a brown, pumpking orange with somewhat of a build that dies super quick. The foam is burnt sugar white and has a ring around the collar.

Smell is mainly malt and butterscotch, melted caramel and faded hops. Nothing else though.

Taste is a caramel lovers dream, very sweet with malts up front, the can does say "all malt" on it, so perhaps I shoulda known better. A bit of a grassy tone with old pine needles. Very upsetting.

Feel is real thick, especially for 4.3% of beer. It looks thicker than average for a pale ale. Kinda syrupy, a small sweet aftertaste. No bitterness. From the largeness here, this was probably never a contender to begin with.

I really am going to go out of my way to avoid this stuff in the future. Not to my liking. Bleeh.

1.89/5  rDev -40.9%

Pours a lightly brownish-plum with a fuzzy head that leaves a soapy lacing ring.

Smells strangely of celery, a bit of grassy hops. A bit of a weird nose.

Taste is just as strange. There are some hops there, but it's dominated by an unsettling soapy, chlorine flavor. Not very enjoyable. Not sure how they pulled off this taste but it's regularly rank. Tastes exactly like the water that my Brita filter puts out when I neglect to change it for a year or something.

The mouth feel is decent, medium bodied, but I can't get around the taste. I can't recommend this one. Stay far, far away. This is not a good brew, almost a drain pour.

1.93/5  rDev -39.7%

Kind of tastes and feels the way the logo looks.

1.95/5  rDev -39.1%

Two pigs on a can....that doesn't usually end well. I had a had a hard time getting over what I would call the "menthol" flavors/nose. I think it is some strange combination of different types of hops that amounts to some weird gross minty flavor. I wouldn't bother with this one unless you have some sort of swine fetish.

1.96/5  rDev -38.8%

Reviewed from notes. Poured from a can.

Pours a moderate amber color with a tiny off white head that recedes quickly. Nose brings forward some old, stale bread and mashed up crackers. The faintest hint of hops. The taste is along the same lines, with a bit of bread crust and residual bitterness. Light body. Nothing good about this beer.

Porkslap Pale Ale from Butternuts Beer & Ale