Brutus Imperial IPA | Butternuts Beer & Ale

butternutsbeerandale.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by t0rin0 on 05-03-2011

3.57/5  rDev +3.5%

This is a tough one to review because I am somewhat convinced that I was served a different beer than I asked for. None the less, the bartender said that it was indeed the beer I ordered and she seemed to know her stuff.

A dark brown almost reddish pour with a thin white head.
Honestly, this thing was very interesting and I enjoyed it, but it certainly was no dipa. The hop presence was mild and for the most part it tasted like a very mildly tart wild ale! Maybe my palate was off, I don't know, but it was tart in the nose and tasted of green apples and some piney notes.

Whatever the hell it was, I enjoyed it, but it certainly is not what I was expecting.

3.5/5  rDev +1.4%

3.42/5  rDev -0.9%

Big IBU delivery. Not a great dipa. Average mouthfeel. On tap yet feels like came out of can, even a little metallic in the finish. Hop aromas. A little orange colour with a little white head. Carbonation right there. WOuld like something more interesting in flavour. OK.

2.44/5  rDev -29.3%

Sampled 5/2/2011 from one of the handfilled 22oz bottle growlers done by Bierkraft in Brooklyn.

Pours mostly clear, dark orange, fluffy white head, glows in the light, decent lacing and retention, pretty looking.

Aroma is earthy, spicy, green apple, caramel, and booze. Interesting but not appealing.

Flavor is grass, booze, caramel, herbal, peppery, some pine, all around intense and not enjoyable.

Body is light/medium, amply carbonated, and not drinkable.

Ƭίcƙ.