Doppelbock | Butternuts Beer & Ale

Availability: Fall

Added by ElijahRivera on 08-09-2013

Reviews by ElijahRivera:
3.88/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a growler acquired from the Butternuts Brewery four days previous.

A- Brilliant, uniformly fluffy light tan head. Deep mahogany in color with dark amber highlights. Good retention, and some lacing.

S- Deep nutty malts and a bit of boozy ethanol. Not too complex, but pleasing. I can't wait to taste it.

T- Wow! The flavor does not disappoint. It definitely shows up the aroma and only gets better than what the nose would have you believe. Very rich earthy notes, accompanied by caramel and roasted chocolate malts. A good boozy flavor throughout with a good amount of rich sweetness that ends crisp and dry. The hops are not prominently featured, but are used well to balance the overall experience. There is even a little oak or wood chips is in there too.

M- Mid mouthfeel and not a ton of carbonation, but that may be due to it sitting around in a growler for 4 days. The right amount of astringency or acidity and alcohol to give you that nice warm kick at the end.

O- I'm glad I got my hands on this scrump, rotating release from a local brewery that I consider to be a bit of hometown pride. From where I stand, it is definitely worth trying if you ever have the opportunity. Also, I just want to mention how cool their casual, little tasting room is. It is literally in the same barn that they use to brew and package their beer, and you can see all the action through a door while you taste and hang out with their super chill barkeeps.

Doppelbock from Butternuts Beer & Ale