Simcoe Single Hop IPA | Mikkeller ApS

Simcoe Single Hop IPASimcoe Single Hop IPA

Mikkeller ApS

Style: American IPA

Brewed at De Proef Brouwerij, Lochristi-Hijfte, Belgium.

Ingredients: Water, malts (pilsner, cara-crystal and munich), hops (simcoe) and yeast.

Added by Goldorak on 03-05-2006

Reviews: 279 | Ratings: 477
3.95/5  rDev -1.3%

A fine ol' beer from Mikkeller that emphasizes the Simcoe hop. Inevitably, I compared it to Weyerbacher's Double Simcoe IPA, which I think is a pretty great staple beer. Now, Mikkeller's Simcoe single-hop is about $3 more/bottle, and I would say that that $$$ comes through in the taste, but not to the degree it should. The Mikkeller is a more subtle, and less biting take on the simcoe hop. But I don't know if it should be. It's smooth and downplays the bitterness of the tastes. But I think that bitterness and the hard bitter caramel malt is what makes the hop come alive. Here we see that hardness giving way to this fruitier, more raisin-y sweetness. It's an interesting approach, but this one's doesn't nail the hop the way, say, the Nelson Sauvin does.

4.38/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a Pint glass. Tall head foamy with a little lacing effect. It pretty much is glued to the glass... It's a delight to stare at.. hahah Golden copper tone in color. A little hazy. Smell was fruity. Lots of fruit on the palate with the hops kickin' in... Smooth IPA! I really enjoyed this one. Full Hop character through out, but with more of a fruit kick and less of the pine... If you like IPAs, you really should give it a try! Real Good!

3.27/5  rDev -18.3%

Light orangey-amber with white head, a little murky. Nice smell, piney and dank, leaning towards the perfumy end. Sharp, biting bitterness, pine with very little malt backbone. Thin, and leaves a lingering harshness on the sides of the tongue. Seems to have a phenolic/high alcohol thing going on too, and I could see more than one leaving me with a headache. I appreciate what they're doing with this series, but for the price ($7!) I'd expect a neater product.

3.35/5  rDev -16.3%

Poured from 11.2 oz bottle

App- Large foamy head, with sticky lacing all over glass. Caramel colored.

SM- Aroma hops, but more mild than I would have expected. Malty sweetness.

Ta- Heavy on the bittering ops. Not balanced with aroma. Overwhelms most everything else, but there are some sweet maltiness lurking in the back.

MF- Large bubbles, but a appropriate (slightly high) amount of carbonation.. The malt have a nice cloying mouth coat.

Dr-OK, but the bittering hops are too much to have very much of this.

This alright, but far from impressive. There are MUCH better IPAs out there and for $7 a bottle this is a big disappointment.

4.12/5  rDev +3%

I am assuming this is the Simcoe Single Hop IPA entry.
Served in a shaker this beer produced a 2 finger off white head that stayed forever. The head remained at 1 finger throughout the sampling. The smells consists of simcoe, pine, and some floral notes. This beer has some phenomenal lacing. The first sip has a very nice bitter taste that lasts for a while but there is a subtle malt background that balances this one out. The palate is medium bodied. This is a great beer if you can find it.

(As noted from other reviews; there is a bit of sediment in this beer but it doesn't distract from the taste)

4.95/5  rDev +23.8%

Wow- sorry, but this is a damn good beer. I have to be up front on this one. I've blown my wad a bit early, I know.
Looks wonderful as it settles in to my pilsner glass. Nice orange-amber color, with a sensuous, cream-colored quarter-inch thick head.
The smell is perhaps the best of any IPA I have ever sampled. Rich, lush pine- pine from the deep, untouched Canada- if there is such a pine. That's what I think of anyway, dammit. Rich, untouched Canadian pines blowing in the crisp, cold wind, with trout hopping in the river and Grizzlies frolicking about on the grassy knoll above. Hints of citrus as well.
Taste: Wow, what can I say. This beer is absolutely delicious, in my opinion. The pine taste matches the smell, and the bitterness is exquisitely balanced. I'm sorry, but Hopslam pales, and I gave that beer an excellent review.
Drinkability is A+. I would love to have a case of this beer, but my wallet won't allow it. In a perfect world, man and woman- or man and man, or woman and woman for that matter- would spend many a lazy Sunday afternoon tipping a few too many of these back.

4.47/5  rDev +11.8%

Poured a light honey/brown topped with a generous, fluffy head that held at least an inch before receding to a thick lace after a few minutes. Immediately my olfactory was assaulted with a waft of spicy citrus aroma when I even got close to the glass! This beer is a tribute to the Simcoe hop... absolutely delicious. Piney and citrusy with just as much flavor as the aroma initially implied. Additionally, I liked that the spicy flavor didn't fade to a sweeter, maltier note as is the case with many other IPAs. Behind the intense flavor I didn't notice the booze (6.9% ABV) at all. Tasty? Yes. Refreshing? Not particularly. Could I drink this all night? Absolutely
... if someone else was buying! ($6.49/11.2oz)

4.16/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Bought at Systembolaget in Malmö, temporarily available there during June.

Hazy dark orange colour topped by a big off-white head. Heavy lacing, at places it must be half a centimetre thick!

Heavy smell of grape fruit and passion fruit. Not bad at all.

Taste is fruity with black currant and floral hops. Surprisingly balanced.

The mouthfeel is perhaps what I like best about this beer. Very dry, leaving the tip of my tongue is almost numb from the bitterness.

3.82/5  rDev -4.5%

Poured from cute little 11.2 Oz bottle into a nonic pint glass.

A rather hefty pour yields rather hefty results. A massive billowing head takes up nearly half the glass with fluffy white foam. Receding quickly to two fingers on top of a cloudy amber liquid. The lacing is evident as I drink the beer down but I will be sure to avoid all of the sediment chunks that I have stupidly poured into my glass.

The hops are immediately present on the first whiff of the brew. There is a touch of citrus with some grapefruit-esque hints but the most prevalent scent is a piney freshness. I get a touch of sweet malts but it is really overwhelmed by the hop odors.

Mouthfeel here is kinda confusing. After the massive head that I got pouring, I assumed there would be significant carb bite. To the contrary, I was presented with a light syrup.

I love the idea of a single hop series because I like to get an idea of what each variety tastes like. While the malt characteristic on the brew is a noticeable backdrop of caramel sweetness, it is the Simcoe that's on display. While there was some idea of citrus when I smelled this beer, the taste is all pine. Pushing the beer to the sides of my tongue gives a hint of just how bitter this beer can be as the pine quicly enter pine-sol territory.

The light body of this beer makes for a trusty drinking companion but the hop oils are sticky and may become annoying in a session and at $4.99 a bottle I think one will do.

4.59/5  rDev +14.8%

Extremely large creamy head, copper colour. Aroma is just fantastic, with lots of passion fruit, citrus grass and sweet malts. Flavour is equally impressing with yet again lots of passion fruit and it is fruity like no other beer I've tried, with passion fruit and grapefruit being the most dominant ones. Mouthfeel is crisp with small bubblesThis was my first beer from Mikkeller and boy did it leave me wanting for more!

4.52/5  rDev +13%

Bottle dated 22/10/10
Another great beer from Mikkeller. Still haven't had anything from them that was not at least interesting. This is packaged brilliantly, as are the rest of their beers, in a simple modern, minimalist font with black on red type making up the basis for the label.

The idea here so smart. Everyone wants hops and more hops, how can you do that but put your own spin on it? Single hop variety designations. So simple and yet so few have done it at this point.

This beers pours a hazy orange/bronze color with a stark white, dense head. The beer is surely bottled unfiltered, mine had more than a bit of yeast floating around in it. Very pleasing to the eye.

The nose is great, fresh pink grapefruit with aspects of juniper and something like tarragon. I could keep trying to pick this apart all night, but the nose is so inviting it is hard not to want to throw this back college style.

I love the balance here, and being that I am a balance above all else guy I'll look over the lack of a palate crushing hops presence. Without being a brewer it seems that Simcoe would be more of an "aromatic" than a "bittering" hop strain. With great life and surprizing sweetneet this gives plenty of green fresh hops character, pine needle, bitter root and drying steeliness.

The mouthfeel is plush and creamy, while holding its carbonation to a nice crusing speed. I like the blonde-style sweetnees that comes on the mid-palate, only to be swept fully away by the bitter, but never harsh finish.

Honestly I'm not a huge fan of IPA, they have to be truely great to win me over, but this one does. I still couldn't have more than one of these a night, but the one I did have would be enjoyed greatly.

4.35/5  rDev +8.7%

Amber color, same as the warrior & columbus that I also tried. Thin off white head.

Smell isn't as much as columbus, but its hoppy, resinous pine

The taste is very strong piney hops. This was the most overpowering taste of the ones I tried. Like drinking a pine tree haha. I really enjoyed this.

Overall its really good, the piney bitterness lingers for quite a while. I want to try the whole collection for sure but I could see myself coming back to this

3.5/5  rDev -12.5%

Kevin and I sampled this beer after collecting all ten (simcoe, cascade, warrior, nelson, nugget, amarillo, tomahawk, chinook and centennial). We sampled them, one after the other, to compare the hop varietals. These notes are primarily focused on the hop flavors of each beer and should be used in comparison to one another. This review is one in a series of 10... and then there is "10".

Top of bottle: 16-12-11
Date of tasting: 10-16-10

Hop notes:
Kevin: smokey, biscuit, balanced bitter-sweet
Brandon: earthy, faint rotting lemon, big caramel

Conversation: Bruce and Bill tag team

4.1/5  rDev +2.5%

Consumed on 3/9/09

Poured a beautiful rich copper color into a RR pint glass. Aroma is a complex hop-malt combination with a heavy focus on the hops. Taste is almost unbelievable and hoppy at first but unfortunately dies very quickly. Mouthfeel is pretty light for an IPA but drinkability is pretty easy. Overall, this is an awesome interpretation of an American IPA but the taste is the lone negative factor since it dies off so quickly.

3.28/5  rDev -18%

Pours a hazy and chunky copper amber/brown in a pint glass with a decent 1 finger off-white head. Looks like I should have poured more carefully, this one is chunky.

Nose is hoppy with pine and grapefruit. There seems to be a bit of sulfer/rotten eggs and some mild oxidation/wet cardboard coming through. These notes are very subtle and as the beer warms and the chunky yeast settles to the bottom they are replaced with caramel.

Mouth is medium bodied and silky with some hop oils with a dry, bitter finish. Medium carbonation.

Taste is solid American IPA. Bitter throughout with pine and grapefruit and some earthiness. Not a whole lot of malt to balance it, though there is some mild sugary sweetness as it warms.

Drinkability is decent, though I'm finding the bitter linger perhaps a tad too strong and there is a solid metallic taste that builds on your tongue as you drink more.

Overall this is a decent beer. Nothing outstanding, but solidly drinkable and enjoyable. It seems to have its heart in the right place but has some flaws that keep it from being great.

4.38/5  rDev +9.5%

Poured from an 11.2 oz bottle into my Lazy Magnolia glass.

Pours a semi-hazy orange with a great two-finger head that retreats a bit, leaving very nice lacing on the glass. There was a bunch of sediment in the bottom of the bottle, but a careful pour yielded a great looking beer.

Smell is citrusy, with a strange yeasty quality to it. A little bit of bready malt works in there, too. All scents meld very well.

A resiny and grapefruitish flavor are strong up front, but then give way to a nice malt backbone. The hop character on this beer is pretty great, as it finishes much more cleanly without that familiar hoppy "bite." Don't get me wrong, I love that bite, but this is something to be appreciated.

I picked this up out of curiosity, and I wasn't disappointed. I'm pretty sure I saw a few other single-hop IPA's from Mikkeller, and I look forward to trying them, as well.

4.45/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A: Poured a beautiful deep hazy amber/orange full of sediment. Had a rich two finger white head with orange striations from the floating sediment.
S: There is a lot going on here - pine scented Christmas trees mixed with orange and lemon citrus hops. There is a background note of caramel malt.
T: Wow. The taste follows the nose - lots of pine and citrus hops with an underlying hint of caramel malt. The citrus zest (orange and grapefruit) is really bold. For such a bitter beer I also note a hidden orange blossom sweetness. Dry on the finish.
M: Crisp and clean with good carbonation. Refreshing and dry. This beer cleanses the palate.
D: I really liked this beer. The drinkability is excellent - I could drink several if it weren't a bit pricey.

4.38/5  rDev +9.5%

A: Pours an amber and hazy liquid with an enormous head. The lively CO2 is visible. I guess the oatmeal really is doing its job, creating such a great head. And after a while the glass is covered in lace. It is hard to imagine a better looking beer!

S: First, grapefruit from the hops. But after a couple of seconds the smell almost explodes. It is like smelling a cocktail of tropical fruits.

T: The tropical fruits from the smell are very sweet and present, but it does not overwhelm. The aftertaste has a nice bite that balances the sweetness.

M: A nice thickness with medium CO2.

D: I have to buy this one again!

3.72/5  rDev -7%

11.2oz bottle poured into a chilled Goliath tulip.

I love the idea of the Single Hop Series from Mikkeller. I'm about halfway thru the ten of them, this being the 6th I've had. Loving the idea doesn't mean they are all great beers -- in fact I don't think that's Mikkeller's intent. It's really an academic exercise, more than an effort in making great beer. Some hops just don't perform well on their own (I'm looking at you, Tomahawk, and your fruity brother Nelson Sauvin). But I'm a big Simcoe [insert registered trademark symbol] fan, so I'm hoping this one pulls through.

This one pours nice. Good frothy heady. Quite hazy, but that glowing orange hue is there. I'll forgive the haze because the head is damn near perfect, it even falls just right.

The aroma is exactly what I expected, fantastic bright Simcoe hops. This variety does an awesome job of merging the pine-citrus continuum. It's tangerine-y, even.

Loving the hop flavor, perfect match to the aroma. I'm not completely wild about the yeast flavor I'm getting though. Probably because foreigners made this, and you know how foreigners do. Seriously though, I'm not sure if my tongue is rejecting it because it's a great IPA with a non-traditional yeast strain, or if its legitimately not great.

Mouthfeel is OK, reminiscent of the rest of the series. Body doesn't quite hold up under questioning, mild resiny chew. Not too much there.

It's drinkable, but due to price and weird yeast factor, I wouldn't put more than 1 in a session.

4.02/5  rDev +0.5%

nice pale color, nice hop aroma. i love simcoe hops. not much of any malt, i wouldnt be surprised if the bill was >95% pale malt. hops are very nice its a textbook hoping of an ipa. no malt backbone. its nice but not $6 nice. maybe $8 a sixer. nothing bad, nothing remarkable. not the best mikkeller.

4.08/5  rDev +2%

Normally I'm not too excited about IPA's (they are starting to grow on me :-P )

Balanced all the way around, beautiful golden haze, just enough hop and pungency to make is awsome, but not blow me out of the water. I'm picking up two more today that's for sure.

3.58/5  rDev -10.5%

appearance- a cloudy amber color with a foamy head that leves sip evidence lacing,

smell- just a little amounts of hops with some malt.

taste- bready tasting malt with bittering hops but not much of flavor hops.

mouthfeel- light to medium feel with good carbonation and a neutral ending.

overall- a good beer but not as hoppy tasting that i was expecting. i will try again, maybe me or the beer was having an off night.

3.95/5  rDev -1.3%

Appearance - A cloudy copper color with a one finger white head that left a decent amount of lacing clinging to the wall of the glass. I poured a fair amount of the yeast cake from the bottle into the glass, so there ended up being some particle floating around that for the most part sank to the bottom of the glass.

Smell - Right away I get spicy earthly pine aroma and with a few more sniffs I found some sweet malt in there.

Taste - Initial swig was very hoppy and tangy, that left a lingering bitterness in the back on my throat. The more I drink the less hoppy the beer taste and I get more of the balance of sweet malts with the Simcoe hops.

Mouth Feel - Light and smooth.

Drinkability - I liked it, I don't think I would buy another unless it was a special occasion due to its price.

4.3/5  rDev +7.5%

Pours amber, the head thickly lacry. Nose is sweet and floral like jasmine flowers showering in simple syrup. Double-take flavors...dry and icey in the mouth...hints of young grapefruit come to mind, with a quickly tapering minty exit that vanishes abruptly. There’s a consistent floral background riding along at all times. This is damn classy...seriously, its like champagne..

3.75/5  rDev -6.3%

The beer appeared a burnt-orange/amber when held to light and had a big frothy white head. The scent was floral and citrusy with a strong bitter hoppy undertone. Taste was similar to the smell with little maltiness, but a crisp, refreshing hop flavor that lingered on the back of the tongue long after swallowing. Notes of grapefruit citrus and hop bitterness dominate the palate overall. Mouthfeel is good. The fluid itself is fairly thin, but deceptively so as the generous carbonation foams the beer up in the mouth giving it a complex thicker-feeling texture that goes down smooth. This is not my favorite IPA, but I would definitely drink it again--if it was offered to me; it's a little expensive. I'd compare to the Boulevard Single-Wide IPA that just came out. They both have similar citrus hop aromas, but the Boulevard is easier on the wallet and certainly more drinkable.

Simcoe Single Hop IPA from Mikkeller ApS