Beer Geek Breakfast | Mikkeller ApS

Denmark
mikkeller.dk

Style: Oatmeal Stout

Brewed at Nøgne Ø.

Ingredients : Water, malt (pils, oat, smoked, caramunich, brown, pale chocolate and chocolate), roasted barley, flaked oats, hops (centennial and cascade), ale yeast and gourmet coffee.

Added by Goldorak on 03-10-2006

Ratings: 2,553 |  Reviews: 1,002

4.77/5  rDev +16.1%

Poured from a bottle into a Snifter.

A: Pours a DARK black with caramel 1 finger head. Great head retention and lacing on the glass.

S: Incredible. Got a great smokey smell with some toasted marshmallow and strong chocolate aroma.

T: Smooth, creamy, and chewy. Chocolate milk almost. Oh man this is good.

M: Nice thick and chewy. Lingers on the palate.

O: Fantastic beer that lives up to the hype.

4.45/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

L- Black with a thin tan head. The head settles to a cap that coats the sides of the glass with a thick tan colored lace.

S- Semisweet chocolate, coffee, black-strap molasses, roasted malt, hint of alcohol, and some wood char.

T- Chocolate and coffee are most dominate, but there are hints of vanilla, wood char, roasted malt, and molasses mixed in throughout. Finish has a bitter pinch of hops, chocolate, and a final lingering note of wood char. Dry, dry finish, almost makes me thirsty for more.

M- Full bodied and low in carbonation, feels creamy and smooth in the mouth somewhat silky. Finish is clean but has a drying effect on the palate, glad I have a glass of water handy.

O- Outstanding beer, a sipper to be sure not for the 7.5% ABV, but for the strong complex flavors and the drying finish. This is one everyone should try at some point.

4.48/5  rDev +9%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.95/5  rDev -3.9%

23oz bottle into a Snifter.

Pours a black color with a rocky brown head with large bubbles. Medium retention and lacing. Aroma is a nice blend of strong coffee, toffee, chocolate and piney hop. Real coffee comes first in the taste (title is not a lie!). Fresh character from malt and hoppy notes. Palate is smooth but unfortunately the body is on the light side. Some astringency from the roasted character and a dry finish that lingers well along a medium bitterness. Really good beer but it frankly didn't impress me more than that. Perhaps a bit too straightforward...

4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

A: Nearly opaque black with just a little garnet showing around the edge of the glass. The persistant medium brown head is composed of fine creamy bubble forming a thin cap on the beer.

S: Moderate coffee and roastiness with citrusy hops aroma. Some chocolate aroma is here in there with a light oat aroma. There is a bit of that herbaceous like it was dry hopped. Some soft alcohol aroma round out the nose.

T: The taste is like coffee and cream followed by a bite of rich milk chocolate. There is a moderately bitterness mostly from the hops but the dark malt is contributing as well. Light citrus hops flavor. The balance is about even between the bitterness and the malt sweetness. The finish is off dry with a lingering bitterness along with a chocolate and coffee after taste. A bit of flowery alcohol on the end as well.

M: medium-full bodied with a lot of creaminess and an good amount of slickness that is just short of being oily. The carbonation is at a medium level and there is a modest amount of warmth from the alcohol.

O: One of better coffee beers I've tasted, a real treat. I'd definitely buy this again.

4.01/5  rDev -2.4%

I am stoked for this one. I have been seeing this at Total Wine for ages, but the $10 price tag always scared me. But now that we are reviewing the beer, I am excited to try it. And my good friend Jake said it’s good… and Jake knows good beer. Oh, and it’s early Saturday morning. We are going to pop this before lunch, so in theory… this IS our breakfast. We are both beer geeks, so a beer called Beer Geek Breakfast makes sense! I am not sure I have had many, or any beers from Denmark. But you throw coffee into anything and all of a sudden you have a tasty treat. Can’t wait to try this one! (I wonder if we should make some eggs and bacon to go along with it…)

In the Glass: This beer is dark as night, and has a nice, thick tan head. The lace is also pretty nice, and just hangs on to the side of the glass for dear life every time I swirl. This is what a nice, full-bodied stout is supposed to look like in the glass. Oh, and there is a bunch of stuff floating in the bottom of the glass. Not sure what that is!

Nose: Not as an impressive nose as I had hoped. I wanted more coffee and less stout notes. It smells like an oatmeal stout, really. I am seriously not getting any coffee on the aroma. A second sniff didn’t provide any coffee notes, either. It says right on the bottle, “OATMEAL STOUT BREWED WITH COFFEE”. I hope I can taste the coffee!

Flavor: Whoa, the flavor is intense! There is a lot of stuff going on here. I will revisit the coffee flavors in the aftertaste. The beer starts out a little boring, then the bubbles explode across the palate and leave a thick, creamy mouthfeel. I will talk about that in a second, too. The first flavor is what you expect from a nice oatmeal stout, you start to taste those malts. Then it balances itself out nicely and leaves you with a hint – never overwhelming – of coffee flavors. You seriously taste about ten different things here, all the while reminding you that this is a beefy stout. The burp is nice, too.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel on this is incredible! It’s boring at first, but then the thickness and the creaminess really sets in as you swallow. Your mouth is just covered with flavor as you drink. I actually don’t want to swallow because the mouthfeel is so nice. You can tell a lot of attention has been paid to this beer, and again, while the coffee isn’t as obvious as I wanted, I can see past that for the enjoyment I am getting out of this nice, well-balanced stout.

Aftertaste: The aftertaste is nice. That’s about all I can say about it. The flavors aren’t overwhelming, but the creaminess that you experience in the mouthfeel is still there. It just leaves your mouth happy. Every time I swallow for a good three minutes after each drink, the same taste profile is there.

Bravo to the guys over at Mikkeller on making a great bottle of beer. Their Black is on our list, too. I wonder how that one will compare to this. For anyone that likes a good coffee stout, ignore this one. The coffee isn’t really there for me. But for someone that likes a good, drinkable and well-balanced oatmeal stout… bottoms up!!!

Mikkeller Beer Geek Breakfast – The bottle says: “Breakfast is the most important meal of the day and to beer geeks, like Mikkeller, a hearty, complex stout is the tastiest way to begin the day. This unique mix of an oat and coffee stout creates an intense, full-bodied beer, which is surprisingly balanced and full of new taste adventures with every sip.”

4.03/5  rDev -1.9%

Poured from a 16.9oz bottle into a standard pint glass

A - pours a deep brown that turns opaque black in the glass. A deep mocha brown head 2.5 fingers tall builds. Fluffy. Creamy. Medium amount of lacing. Foam sticks around in a small puddle for the entire drink.

S - first thing I pick up is molasses and cappuccino. Lots of chocolate. Licorace. Bakers chocolate chips. Slightly roasty.

T - lots going on. Large amounts of smoky tobacco. The tobacco notes remind me slighly of Rivertown's War. The coffee takes a slight backseat to the roast and tobacco flavors. Dark chocolate. Very slight amount of sweetness.

M - medium-full bodied. A drying effect is present. I think from reviewing two beers in two nights with oatmeal, I'm not getting the creamy mouthfeel I was expecting. Doesn't mean it's bad, just not as expected.

D - a nice sipper for me. I'm trying to see if it opens up as it warms.

Overall, a very nice stout with lots if different tastes ranging from tobacco smoke to chocolate to malt to coffee. I thought the coffee was a little more muted than what I would have liked to see. The only downfall in my eyes is that there is nothing that stood out as being "oh my" on this one. Very solid all around but lacking that "geez x is damn good" aspect.

3.91/5  rDev -4.9%

Hard pour into a Duvel tulip yielded a lovely, cascading big dark tan head that eventually faded to a foamy cap that leaves massive sheets of lacing and legs throughout the glass. Beautiful nearly pitch-black color with aromas of coffee, bitter chocolate, molasses, tobacco, some oak. Viscous and oily mouthfeel with just the right amount of carbonation delivers big roasted malts, bitter chocolate, and black coffee.

Overall, a solid stout that's worth a try. Some people compare this to FBS, but in my opinion FBS outshines this one.

3.75/5  rDev -8.8%

3.7/5  rDev -10%

500 mL bottle poured into a CBS snifter.

Appearance - Not-quite-black with an ample mocha head. Settles to some wisps and a thin collar. Looks a little thin as it's pretty transparent at the edges, but an impressive showing nonetheless.

Smell - Coffee, deep roasted dry malts, and some hops lingering. The coffee is nice without being one-dimensional.

Taste - The coffee is integrated well as it's tough to tell when coffee stops and malt begins, but the flavor is less potent. Coffee from the coffee, coffee from the malt. It blends into a dark chocolate, but bitter.

Mouthfeel - I really wish it were chewier, but I guess that's what separates this from Brunch Weasel. Lowish carbonation and a light body. Drinkable for its lightness, but I always want more flavor and for it to last longer.

Overall - Tasty if muted in many ways. I like it but would take other coffee stouts over this and definitely prefer Brunch Weasel.

4.1/5  rDev -0.2%

Appearance: Poured pitch black in color with a good two fingers of light brown head. There's definitely some brownish hues coming through if you hold your glass to the light. Plenty of lacing on the glass throughout the beer.

Aroma: Coffee, Roasted Malts, Dark Chocolate, Raisins, and I also started to get a bit of charred campfire logs as it warmed up.

Taste: There's a really nice creamy oatmeal stout-like body and flavor up front. The full-on coffee flavor isn't far behind, providing some nice subtle bitterness towards the middle. There's also a touch of dark chocolate near the back-end. The finish is pretty smooth and rounded for a coffee stout.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied and creamy with low carbonation.

Morey's Bottom Line: In my opinion, this beer is every bit as good as Founders Breakfast Stout (FBS)...dare I say a touch better? Get some if you have the chance.

4.75/5  rDev +15.6%