Beer Geek Breakfast | Mikkeller ApS

Denmark
mikkeller.dk

Style: Oatmeal Stout

Brewed at Nøgne Ø.

Ingredients : Water, malt (pils, oat, smoked, caramunich, brown, pale chocolate and chocolate), roasted barley, flaked oats, hops (centennial and cascade), ale yeast and gourmet coffee.

Added by Goldorak on 03-10-2006

Ratings: 2,553 |  Reviews: 1,002

4.25/5  rDev +3.4%

3.46/5  rDev -15.8%

Coffee Stouts are one of my 3 favorite styles. Been looking forward to trying this one. Purchased in April 2011 and drank on 11/12/11.

A: Poured into a tulip glass. Very dark brown, bordering on black. Not quite as dark or rich appearing as some others I have had (and loved) from the style (i.e. FBS, Wake n Bake, and Bell's Java to name a few). Well carbonated, 1.5 finger rich tan head that dissipates slowly.

S: A little underwhelming (and disappointing) to be honest. I don't get much coffee at all. Aroma has more chocolate and oaky qualities than I expected. I was hoping for a strong coffee presence and I'm not getting it.

T: A lot like the aroma, I'm just not getting much coffee here at all. I mean, there's a little bit...just not what I was expecting. Maybe I waited too long to open this one(?) I can't tell when it was bottled on...don't see a date on the bottle. What I get mostly from the taste are chocolate and an oaky/woodsy aftertaste. It is very reminiscent of Oak Aged Yeti to me for some reason (which I do like a lot). I expected more coffee in this one though...not the overriding chocolate and oak. And since I am reviewing this as a "coffee stout" and not just as a regular imperial stout, I have to deduct a little bit for my perceived absence of coffee. Let me reiterate, though, that as a "stout" this is still a very tasty beer.

M: Pretty easy to drink. The alcohol is not overpowering at all and it is definitely not as thick and viscous as some others I have had from the style. I wish it had just a little bit more body. Still, not bad.

Overall, I do like this beer as a stout but it's not really doing it for me from the coffee standpoint. As I said at the beginning, maybe I have been spoiled by things like FBS, Wake N Bake, and Bell's Java which bring the coffee in force. Or maybe I should have opened this earlier. I would drink this again but I can't say that I would necessarily actively seek it out over others from the style.

4.19/5  rDev +1.9%

Appearance – Poured into my medium sized brandy snifter. The head on this one is 2 fingers high, light tan in color, and pretty foamy. The beer itself is essentially pitch black, with highlights of black, and some hints of black in the background there…get the point?

Smell – Immediately after I open the bottle I can smell the coffee coming from this. The smell is actually much more pleasing than I expected it to be. Dark roast coffee bean and espresso right up front, roasted malts, light notes of dark chocolate/cocoa nibs, oats/oatmeal, hints of vanilla, and hints of dark fruit (mostly cherry) in the background. This aroma reminds me a little bit of Deschutes Black Butte XXI with a really amped up coffee profile (and a lack of the barrel aging). Very nice!

Taste – Not quite as much coffee as the smell makes me think there will be, but still plenty of coffee bean taste to go around, a bit bitter coffee (but not bad). Roasted malts and oats after that (like a mix with the kind of lighter stout qualities you get from true oatmeal stouts), some dark chocolate, dark cherry notes, hints of vanilla, a bit of smoke and burnt notes but they really work well with all the coffee and chocolate. Leaves me with a coffee, roasted malt, and light cocoa nib aftertaste.

Mouthfeel – Consistency is silky or velvety, carbonation is light/creamy, body is light medium, and the finish is actually closer to long that average (but that flavors that stick around are very nice and not a bad aftertaste).

Overall – Overall this is a really good beer that actually surprised me quite a bit. Maybe because I just wasn’t expecting very much from this beer since it’s not a limited release barrel aged beer. Then again, I find myself thinking throughout the course of this beer that I could probably be fooled into thinking this was a partially barrel aged stout with coffee added in a blind taste test. In any case, this is a superb beer, in my opinion. Really going to have to try to the bourbon barrel aged version to see what that does to this beer. Seek this one out!

4.42/5  rDev +7.5%

Poured from a bottle into two Duvel tulips to share with my buddy.

Poured a dark black with about 4 fingers of tan foam. I was shocked by how carbonated this was, overly so in my opinion. The foam dissipated very slowly and left lots of lacing.

I smelled a lot of roasted malts and of course coffee.

The taste is absolutely phenomenal. The coffee really comes through, followed by the and roasted malt and maybe a hint of alcohol heat. I'm a huge coffee fan, so this was incredible. I was really impressed by the flavor of this beer.

The carbonation comes through in the mouthfeel, but the beer is also a bit thick and sticky.

Overall I really enjoyed this beer. I'll be looking forward to picking up another bottle or two next week if I can.

3.68/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 16.9oz bottle into a tulip glass.

A: The beer is a deep dark brown color with a large brown head that fades very slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains a lot of coffee along with roasted malts, oats, some chocolate and a faint touch of hops.

T: The taste starts out with a dull and bitter-sweet flavor of black coffee and dark chocolate, followed by a hearty roasted oat and malt character. The hops presence is very mild but complementary and brings a decent balance. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: Crisp but not very smooth, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

O: A little tasty, goes down ok, not too filling, good kick, good representation of style, I expected a more pronounced coffee flavor but I don’t feel that what led me to not really like this beer quite as much as most people. There just seemed to be a lack of harmoniousness and balance compared to what you would normally look for in this type of beer.

3.98/5  rDev -3.2%

Poured from a 16.9oz bottle with no freshness date into a Bruery tulip.

A: A vigorous pour yields 3 fingers of creamy tan head.  Opaque black with no light shining through. Minimal lacing.

S: Nice roasty notes. A touch of vanilla. Very pleasant.

T: Nice and roasty up front. Then comes the vanilla sweetness but not too sweet at all. A touch of chocolate. Then finishes with a bitter coffee flavor. Alcohol is well hidden

M: Mouthfeel is a little thin overall. Light body and carbonation.

Overall this a nice oatmeal stout. Nothing mind blowing here and I think most of the coffee flavor has dissapated.

4.2/5  rDev +2.2%

Almost a year of age on this brew. Wondering how it will turn out!

A- pours jet black with a deep tan two fingers of head. Retention is pretty good.

S- aromas of oily coffee bean, espresso, bakers chocolate and cocoa nib hit the nose. Roasted malt and an oatmeal grain flesh out in the middle. Finish is a touch of licorice with a note of fruity dark cherry.

T- Really nice roasted malt flavors give off dark chocolate and cocoa nib flavors. Oily coating coffee bean and espresso notes blend in with a really tasty even bitterness. Finish is a hint of licorice with a lingering iced coffee flavor.

MF- oily coating mouthfeel with a medium body and slightly higher than average carbonation.

D- very drinkable and savory!

Overall an excellent coffee stout. Sign me up for a pour of this with my pancakes! Delicious.

4.13/5  rDev +0.5%

Pours pitch black with a caramel huge head. Almost too big.

Smells of coffee. Roasted malts, maybe a touch of dark chocolate and alot of coffee.

For a non-barrel bourbon barrel aged beer, this thing is fantastic. Lots of coffee, but not too bitter. More of a coffee bean flavor than the coffee drink (and that is a good thing). The malt is more smokey than roasty which is fantastic. Medium to heavy body that sits nicely on the tongue. The coffee fights to stick around, but is ultimately overpowered by the smoke.

When you compare this thing to other breakfast stouts, its up there. I like the smoke and coffee bean flavor, but the body just doesnt hold up like KBS or FBS does. Still high on the list though.

4.2/5  rDev +2.2%

One of my favorite Mikkeller beers.

Pours dark black with a rich brown head. Very beautiful looking beer.

Aroma is very much of roasted coffee malts. There was a sweetness also, some baker's chocolate and very subtle candy sugar.

Taste is also dominated by the roasted coffee, but not in an offensive way. To the contrary, I absolutely love it. The chocolate is subtle, but comes through on the back end. Very nice. Smooth and easy to drink for a stout. Not too heavy.

The gypsy brewer has done well with this one. That is a fact.

Beer Geek Breakfast from Mikkeller ApS