Riesling People | Mikkeller ApS

4.34/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

4.23/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Don’t mind a Riesling. If you’re into trying a white wine and you haven’t tried a Riesling it’s an underrated varietal IMO. It’s a grape that produces some beer-like characters: crisp apple, lime, stone-fruit – all flavours one might find in a Lager or an Ale. Of course Mikkeller has brewed a beer with Meierer Riesling juice, Mikkeller has brewed a beer with everything, why are you even surprised? Brilliant idea though, Riesling wine has more crossover potential with beer than almost any other grape I can think of. Yes, there’s been plenty of Shiraz-related dark beers here in Australia, we make a lot of Shiraz here. Riesling though… Mikkeller you magnificent bastard – you read my mind once again. I hate you. I love you. It’s complicated.

Poured from a 330ml bottle into a Duvel tulip (all my wine glasses are upstairs).

A: One of the lightest straw shades I’ve seen in a while – it’s like the stuff that goes in a lemon curd tart… [lemon curd, that stuff] Opaque lemon curd body with a thin white head that dissipates leaving a lace ring. Interesting stuff right here. 8/10.

S: Oomph! Some real acidic notes from that Riesling juice. Again though, like I said, that Riesling character is going to pair well with the NEIPA flavours, just give it a chance me (and you too). Acidic lemon/lime lead a biting citric attack, hints of floral and light herbal/grassy character (possibly the hops). If this is astringent as the aroma would suggest I’m in for a challenging brew (I’m admittedly not great with sour flavours – my weak spot). 7/10.

T: Annnnd it comes in with a long dry finish. That was unexpected. Riesling People is wholly fruity and well balanced with hints of sour, a bit of sweet, and a slight bitter note. Flavours include: lemon/lime, floral/herbal hops, vinous white notes throughout, touch of green apple, and an earthy peach note towards the back. This is far from a NEIPA, but better for it IMO (I’ve been drinking a few NEIPAs lately and this has a tasty-dry break). If you like white wine: get on this. Now. 9/10.

M: Medium bodied with a super-dense, light carbonation. I don’t think I’ve seen bubbles this tiny before. Extra point for being unique here. 9/10.

D: Beer and wine together in unholy matrimony, and it works! Yes beer lovers who hate wine and vice-versa will dislike this, but if you’re like me and sitting in the purple middle bit of the Venn diagram between beer/wine you’ll appreciate how this beer nails both aspects so well. It’s the white version of a Flanders Red FFS [I’m of course thinking of Rodenbach Grand Cru thank you]. 9/10.

Food match: White fish or pork are the go-tos of Riesling – same applies here.

3.5/5  rDev -18.6%

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

Excellente NEIPA, très fraîche, avec des arômes fruités et épicés, une magnifique robe jaune, une mousse fine, bref une parfaite réussite, très équilibrée.

4.91/5  rDev +14.2%