Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Black Hole | Mikkeller ApS

Mikkeller ApS
Denmark
mikkeller.dk

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Brewed at De Proefbrouwerij.

Black Hole is what Mikkeller is all about. Daring, vulgar and extreme. From the very beginning Mikkellers goal has been to push the limit and with this warming, intense imperial stout, a new chapter in the Danish beer history has been written. The high bitterness from the hops and the sweetness from the malt and alcohol, creates a good balance which makes Black Hole an explosion of nuances, but also leaves a feeling of a perfect and complex beer – in the heavyweight category.

Ingredients: Water, malt, roasted barley, flaked oats, dark cassanade, honey, hops, coffee, vanilla and ale yeast.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-24-2006

2.25/5  rDev -41.1%

Blech Hole. I hope this was just a bad bottle. It was below average on all counts.

from a 375 ml bottle it poured black and murky like dirty motor oil. Chunks of tan sediment slid to the bottom of the glass. There was no head.

The nose gave no promise of coffee. There was a yeasty smell that mingled with dark roasted malt aromas and alcohol fumes.

The only saving grace was a hint of bitter chocolate on the palate. I could detect a faint trace of where coffee may have once been, but wtf? This was one of the weakest attempts at a coffee stout that I have ever tasted. It tasted more like a highly-alcoholic Porter.

It was barely carbonated and finished dry and bitter in contrast to the soft mouthfeel.

It left me wanting a coffee stout.

2.59/5  rDev -32.2%

Poured from a 375ml bottle into my Pumking chalice. It poured pretty close to black in color in the glass. Unfortunately it had no head whatsoever and just a few bubbles that disappeared quickly after the pour. It was so still it looked like a dark wine. Not a good appearance at all for a stout, I expect at least a little head to it to score average.

The aroma shows a lot of dark chocolate to it. Some roasted malt and coffee bitterness comes through next. The alcohol shows through pretty well in it though unfortunately. There are some good flavors but overall nothing special, and a bit too much alcohol coming through.

The taste is similar to the nose in that it shows a lot of dark chocolate and roasted coffee to it. A decent amount of dark fruits are present as well. The bitterness starts to come through in the finish along with a bit of a boozy alcohol. Having no carbonation doesn't do it any favors here either.

The mouthfeel is barely on the thicker side of the spectrum. The lack of carbonation makes it feel lighter than it is though. When I say lack of carbonation I really mean it in this one, none whatsoever. It's a lot like a full bodied wine. I like low carbonation but this is just nothing. Not appealing in this aspect whatsoever.

The drinkability was severely hurt by the lack of carbonation. It didn't drink like a beer at all. The flavors seemed pretty decent, it's unfortunate the mouthfeel and appearance pretty much ruin this beer for me. The alcohol also a little too apparent. Not enjoyable at all for me and won't buy again. I hope all the barrel aged versions I have are better.

3.57/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

sheer silliness is what we get for the black hole horizontal of barrels. and what is the horizontal without the base beer?

the hissing of the synthetic cork augers something either impotent or ominous. at 13%+, I'm going with ominous. Black, yes. Thick? oh, very. Carbonation minimal, not flat, we'll call it a generous A cup.
Alcohol, sweet malt, honey, and a little bit of vanilla off the bat. The alcohol begins to fade but the sweetness lingers, playing with the vanilla some sort of carnal cat and mouse. It's aggressive but sloppy, like an Old Mike Tyson. Do not tell Iron Mike I said that. He follows me on the Twitter.
Tough to drink but an enjoyable experience for me and a few others at the tasting. However, I will say, many people did not care for this, nor any of the other Black Holes.

3.1/5  rDev -18.8%

Pours black into my tulip with a bubbly mocha head that sits about two fingers tall that shrinks down to thin layer of foam. The smell is rich with caramel and chocolate up front with hints of coffee lingering. The aroma is also slightly boozy. Smells like rum cake or maybe sherry or something to that nature. Vanilla is also noticeable on the finish as well as dark fruits. Probably cherries. The taste is almost reverse for me than what I would want. Mostly alcohol up front with hints of cocoa, dark fruit a bit of vanilla and sherry but mostly, this is a booze bomb. When I popped the cork on this I didn't hear anything. It's not entirely flat but it is really lacking carbonation. With that and the body seems a bit light for the style I'm a bit under impressed. Honestly, I don't know if I'll finish this bottle. It's not terrible but certainly an aggressive brew.

3.49/5  rDev -8.6%

Appearance? Jesus, it looks intimidating. It pours a viscous and intense dark into my porter glass. Like treacle or tar, no: crude oil...that is what it looks like: crude oil. No head.

The nose is truly impressive. Coffee, chocolate, vintage dark rum or cognac: christmas cake. A friend I tasted it with said it smelt like Pierre Marcolini...and I know what he means.

It is incredibly sweet on the palate. Intensely so. Like drinking melted dark chocolate mixed with coffee, with a shot of brandy added to it (you can certainly taste the alcohol). Cardamon and dates.

As for mouthfeel, the complete lack of carbonation is just odd. Why not just drink a dark, thick mug of chocolate with a shot of espresso and a shot of brandy?

Drinkability? Would be tough to finish a bottle on your own. It is interesting to try for sure but not for me. Perhaps, it is just too complex for me but I don't get this beer. Sure it has intense flavours but it is not pleasant to drink.

3.38/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

A- pours jet black with no head whatsoever. None? Really? After how vigorously I poured, you can't give me ANYTHING? That is so weak. Disappointing

S- lots of coffee, chocolate, and dark fruits...smells great. Makes up for the lack of a head a little bit

T- sweet chocolate with hints of dark, bitter coffee and some sweet plums...almost a little too sweet. Not bitter enough...I'd like more balance

M- no carbonation whatsoever, which ties in perfectly with that lack of head. Hugely disappointing, but the body I get is nice with a good thickness

D- I'm torn on this. The fact that my bottle was uncarbonated really ruined a lot, and I'd like to try a better bottle...but the fact that the bottle is green, and the fact that the cork is a hybrid material (no idea if it has any impact or not, but its not made out of cork) puts me off on buying it again...the huge price point is a turnoff as well

4.7/5  rDev +23%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at The Blue Nile for Stoutfest 2010.

Jet black in color, quite viscous looking with a brown head of creamy foam that has outstanding retention. A little bit of lacing.

Sweet malty goodness with a bit of smoke, vanilla and milk chocolate. Solid hop scent coming through as well.

Oooo. Much like the nose is the taste. Rich and decadent flavors of milk chocolate, cocoa powder, vanilla bean and caramelized sugar. Mild smoke presence with a touch of coffee. The hops are very noticeable and offer a grassy/citrus profile. Awesomely delicious.

Viscous, slick and smooth. Full bodied for sure.

One of the best RIS's I've ever had. Simply wonderful and for a 13 percent beer, drinks quite well. I definitely want this one again!

3.54/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 3

Thanks to Dany (glouglouburp on Ratebeer) for this one! 375mL green glass fake cork and caged. This is a Euro/Canadian bottle with just the black hole on the front label. "Holdbar til 14/08/11" on back label.

Pours a thick gloopy black with no head at all (wha wha).

Nose is full of honey and black coffee which is somewhat strange, to be honest. A little waxy and floral besides. Odd smelling, really.

Palate is fat and wide with the honey right up-front. As it settles in, the black coffee/roasted notes come out and things become a little more delicious. Not much bitterness to speak of here.

Not a big fan of the whole "zero carbonation" thing that I've experienced with this series. Part of mouthfeel for me is having texture and texture is provided by bubbles. Good taste, weak mouthfeel.

3.44/5  rDev -9.9%

Poured from a 12.7oz bottle into a BJ's Brewery Fathers Day special pint glass...

A - Pours black with a one finger tan head that disipates really quick. Not much lacing to be had here...

S - Lots of coffee notes come through. Also pick up chocolate and various dark fruits...

T - Dark roasted malts, chocolate, black coffee, and dark fruits. Ends with a fairly strong brown sugar/caramel sweetness. Abv is very well hidden; however, this one is a little sweet for my liking. Would rather taste a little more alcohol in adverse to an almost overwhelming assault of sweetness...

M - Full bodied with next to no carbonation...

D - I consider myself a fan most of Mikkeller's brews (especially their Beer Geek Series). Unfortunately, I can't say the same about this one. A little to much of a sugary taste for me. Maybe a little age would mellow it out a little...

Cheers...

4.05/5  rDev +6%

poured from bottle into a St Bernardus goblet.

dark black with a slight hint of brownish head. small amount of lacing left behind on glass.

thick mocha aromas followed with hints of alcohol.
oat and coffee flavors stand out with some decent hop bitterness on the back end keeping the alcohol from overpowering.

very creamy, thick feel. much thicker than some other coffee stouts.

much preferred over the barrel aged series of Black Hole.

1.48/5  rDev -61.3%

Green bottle, with a champaign cork covered by a silver foil in a 12.7oz bottle, into a delirium tremens glass. Odd

Pours either the darkest brown or lightest black, your call. Pours without much of any carbonation and virtually no carbonation. Looks really really thin in body. Nothing special left on the glass when swirled. I'm going in thinking pretty poorly of this beer.

Watered down coffee, burnt malt, alcohol, some hazel type sweet smelling notes. Think of a cold hazel coffee that's not overly good. You're about there. With some air (this was 50-60 degrees when served so the temp isn't a factor) on it there's a lot of fruity smells coming out. Hard to place so I won't bother trying.

Opens really sweet like a brown sugar and well sweet coffee sweetness to start. Finishes with a bitter coffee flavor but it's really far back there, and then it almost leaves that coffee breath feel in your mouth. Wow it just hit me. This is like a flat Coke with some coffee burnt flavors in the back ground.

This beer is thicker to drink than to look at. Still not much going on. No carbonation.

I see why they sell this in roughly a 13 oz bottle. There's no way you can choke down more than that.

OK, I get what they're going for I think. A sweet and wet example of a stout with some coffee flavors to balance things a hair. The problem is this is awful. Yeah it's a fruity (and more complex than I described) aroma. The beer is way to freaking sweet and unlike so a great English barely wine that does this in a way that makes you savor it. This beer doesn't even get close. The "sale" price I got this beer at of 8.49 makes it all the more awful . At nearly 50 bucks for a 6 pack (and I understand the high cost of distribution and taxes) it's just unacceptable for this to be a bad beer. It is.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A: Little to no head, what little head existed was a light tan. Poured thick. Name describes the color: black.

A: Earthy funk from yeast, slightly roasted with hint of vanilla and brandy.

T: Quite roasty which was surprising since roastiness was muted in the aroma. Nutty, vanilla, reminds me of smores with coffee.

M: Noticeable alcohol presence at first sip, but the rest went down smooth. Subtle carbonation.

D: A delicious treat with bold roasted flavor. More than one would take away from the enjoyment... plus, ABV would ruin my palate for the rest of the night. A good beer, but not great.

3.92/5  rDev +2.6%

Pours opaque black with a massive overflowing head of light brown.
The spongy, rocky foam settled to a good quarter inch for the duration of the glass.
Aromatics are hugely laden with coffee grounds, roasted barley, and bitter chocolate.
Almost a bitter promise for whats to come.
Mouthfeel is dry and thick, with carbonation adding a perception of increased body.
The pallet is unapologetically filled with coffee. The coffee is center stage, and is somewhat bitter in nature, akin to spent grounds.
After the coffee, plenty of dry and roasty chocolate steps up, as does some acrid black malt.
Alcohol is noticeable, but no heat and does not detract.
Finishes with lingering bitter coffee and more acrid black patent.

A big beer for sure, but the coffee is a bit harsh, and leaves the beer tasting like a coffee stout rather than an Imperial with coffee.

The combination of the bitter coffee, and charred bitterness detract from the drinkability, and I LOVE black coffee!

that being said I liked it more than previous reviewers led me to believe I would.
I may get another one to lay down for a few years.

3.96/5  rDev +3.7%

A- Pours dark black, possibly "black hole" color, No head, litterely like pouring motor oil, might be the same viscosity to.

S- Sweet Chocolates, Brandy, hits of bourbon or at least something alcoholic, vanilla and coffee.

T- Very sweet vanilla taste, Coffee, Mild burn of alcohol but it is a good burn, it adds to the bitter dark chocolate flavor that overwhelms the tongue after. I can taste the chocky, puckery of the coco powder in this.

M- There is no carbonation, like none, Whats up with that? come on I understand that this is a sippin' beer but I still want some beer qualities in it! I think the carbonation would really bring alive some more flavors and reduce the alcohol burn

D- This, Lack of carbonation is really a downer, Although this beer has some great qualities I'm pretty disappointed that a glass cost 13 bucks! This beer is a must try still if not for the inspiration of flavors and sweetness.

3.23/5  rDev -15.4%

Poured into a pint glass.

A: A milky, viscous pour. Espresso black and totally opaque. A thin ring of fine, stout-like tan head.

S: A bit alcoholic smelling; chocolate notes are as strong as coffee ones. Very sweet scent. I don't get any hops or spicy notes.

T: Too sweet, much like overly sugared coffee. The lingering taste has a good malt and bitter coffee finish, but not enough to counter the up-front saccharine punch. The booze, however, is well-hidden.

M: Lovely, thick, smooth feel that coats the whole mouth. No carbonated sensation whatsoever.

D: Middle of the road. Lots of alcohol means I'll be feeling it at the bottom of this glass. It's also just too sweet for me. I generally enjoy coffee stouts, but this one isn't tops in my book. Tastes more like chocolate milk than coffee...perhaps because I like my coffee black.

3.99/5  rDev +4.5%

A - Poured out an opaque, jet black color with a small, brown, bubbly head of foam. It left little to no lacing.

S - It smelled of chocolate and rich, dark chocolate. There was a slight floral aroma, too.

T - It tasted of bitter, dark chocolate with a espresso-like flavor. It tasted a little like a mocha. Unfortunately the flavor faded the longer it was open.

M - It was fairly crisp and sharp. A medium bodied ale with a dry finish.

D - This is a good coffee imperial stout. However, the flavor did not match the great aroma.

3.17/5  rDev -17%

375mL bottle with a best-before date of 1/07/12. Pours black with very little head. Aroma has chocolate, coffee, alcohol, bitter hops, and dark fruits. The taste is strong and very boozy with burnt coffee, chocolate, brown sugar, and soy sauce. Medium bodied with almost no carbonation. Drinkability isn't great, this was difficult to finish. This beer was a bit of a let-down after trying Beer Geek Breakfast. It's a bit too hot right now.. I'll cellar my other bottle for a while before drinking it.

3.65/5  rDev -4.5%

A: Caged and corked, but I could not get that fake cork out of the bottle with just my hands. Finally used a pair of pliers -- I am not exaggerating. Poured from the 12.7 oz bottle into a Piraat tulip/snifter-type glass. First impression is of the thickness of the beer, or, rather, the lack thereof. Expected a heavier body but it pours relatively "light."

That describes the heft, but not the color. This puppy is a black hole. Light is neither penetrating nor escaping. Small beigish film of a head is there but disappears quickly. No lace.

S: Licorice, booze -- bourbon -- and coffee. Not terribly strong in the nose. Considered giving this a 3.5 in smell. . . .

T: Kind of follows the nose: think slightly watery day-old coffee with a splash of bourbon added. Some licorice at times reminds me of sambuca. Also molasses, reminds me of rum.

Notice that I'm reminded of booze? Well, that 13% ABV will do that to you. Alcohol is noted in both the taste and the heat down the gulley and in the belly. Finishes with a drying alcohol warmth and lingering bitterness. At times there's a touch of dark chocolate, but more often it reminds me of bitter roasted coffee beans. That's the taste that lingers (at times it seems oaky).

I started out by giving this a 4 in taste, but I'm knocking it down a peg.

M: No qualms about knocking the mouthfeel score down to 3.5. Body is too thin and as a result feels lighter in heft than you want (expect) from this style. Slightly slick feel to it.

D: OK. Despite some of the knocks, all-in-all this beer is OK. Booze and bitterness will slow you down, but any 13% beer is bound to be a sipper.

Overall impression: needs more malt. Roasty, chocolatey goodness and the heft more malt would provide would make this a better beer, IMHO. It's a decent beer as is, but certainly not other-worldly.

3.83/5  rDev +0.3%

The beer is extremely dark brown in color with a brown head that is almost non-existent but this is fairly typically of a Russian Imperial Stout. It has a very light scent of chocolate but that is it. The flavor profile is complex with strong coffee and vanilla flavors and some definite pitted fruit aftertaste. The heat is not well hidden, this definitely screams high alcohol but not enough to affect the nose. The body is thin but smooth with the right amount of carbonation for this style. Overall it is a decent imperial stout but nothing to write home about.

1.12/5  rDev -70.7%

Had this a little less than a month ago. Into a snifter, pours virtually no head. The body is as thin as prune juice, and I knew from the first pour that this was not going to be pleasant.

Ugh, aromas of prunes-gone-bad and stale graham crackers. Mr. alexd3891 says it smells decent, but all I smell are prunes-gone-bad and stale graham crackers. And maybe, MAYBE some coffee.

Flavors include the aforementioned prunes-gone-bad and stale graham crackers, with some coffee and a whole lot of booziness. Perhaps if I hold my nose there might be some semblance of balance here, but, God's honest truth, it tastes awful.

Don't even get me started on the mouthfeel. Would anyone like some prune-juice gone bad with what is supposedly a Russian Imperial Stout?

Overall, I have barely ever to be this disappointed with a beer, but this is crap as a really crappy thing. All this talk of prunes and crap is probably the best kind of pairing I can think of for Black Hole, and shame on Mikkeller for allowing such a devious fall from the pinnacle of grace that is Beer Geek Breakfast to be unleashed on all of us. It was such hell I poured it out halfway through.

3.15/5  rDev -17.5%

Review #200 375 ML poured into a GD Globe Best before 1/7/12

A-- Poured a dark brown, settled all sorts of BLACK. No head to speak of at all. Thick layer of mocha colored film. No carbonation. Some life in a few swirls of the glass. Looks darned near like ink.

S-- Thick, rich chocolate, heavy roasted malts and espresso. Traces of Vanilla and a good dose of molasses and alcohol in the nose.

T-- Vanilla, molasses chocolate, burnt coffee, and espresso. Very thick and syrupy first sip. ABV is obvious as get a big tingle in the mouth and a lot of warming in the front.

M-- Is there any carbonation?? Stating the obvious but very full bodied. Very syrupy but after the initial attack it mellows out some. The coffee could be a bit bigger and bolder and offset the sweetness of this.

D-- My issue is that it is really sweet and to me under carbonated. Still, it is unforgiving and beats you down pretty big. One is all you can do and a 375 still may be too much. More due to sweetness than the ABV. ABV is well hidden but gets to you after a while. More like a liqueur than anything else. Good idea to let this cellar for 6 months before drinking. Not the best RIS I have had and my Black Damnations are far more complex than this is.

3.53/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a rich velvety dark brown with a creamy tan head that leaves slight lacing.

Aroma is Big and boozy. Charred dark grain and generous hop bitterness meets sweet dark fruit. Alcohol has a strong presence.

Taste is sweet dark malt, with hints of cocoa and espresso up front. Charred smokey bitterness steps in momentarily, before the strong hop presence washes over everything with a very 'green' aspect. Finishes quite bitter, but tempered somewhat by sweet dark fruit and astringent alcohol.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied.

This is a very big stout. Flavor is rich and intense. Not for the uninitiated.

3.72/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured a deep dark brown with a thin dark tan head with just a bit of soap ring of bubbles.

The smell is very green, like fresh picked hops mixing in with nice dark chocolate.

Lots of chocolate going on in the flavor along with some mild black malts and smokey bitterness before the fresh green hops start to take over in the finish. A bit of alcohol pokes through as well along with some fresh juniper and anise.

The extreme amount of hops makes this for an oily and resiny sticky mouthfeel that coats for a long time.

Its ok, but nothing spectacular, I don't mind a hoppy stout, but find this a bit lacking in complexity compared to your more traditional Imperial Stouts.

Big beer with little carbonation that to my mind marries the mouthfeel and sweetness of a young barleywine with lots of coffee and chocolate found in an Imperial Stout. This is a well made beer that uses some sweetness to balance the huge hoppy coffee notes in the midbody. Could do with some aging but it contrasts nicely with the more lively Beer Geeks Breakfest

3.87/5  rDev +1.3%

There were a few of these at From the Vine at Polaris. I dont know how but Jaimie does it again. Another beer thats not supposed to be in Ohio dude to the ABV cap...SHHHH!! You didnt hear that from me though...

A- Little half bottle, foiled and corked with a synthetic cork. I got a ncie head out of this beer but the alcohol put an end to it quickly. Lacing is really the only trace left behind.

S- Smell is super nice. Big on strong coffee with cream. Roasted malts and a little bit of alcohol.

T- Not as great as the nose. Acidic coffee, its kinda oily. Roasty and vinous characters that many big ass stouts like this have seem out of place with the coffee in this one.

M- Low carbonation with a full body. Slightly warming from alcohol but no where near what I expected.

D- While the alcohol is hidden quite well in the flavor its effects are felt suddenly.

Black Hole from Mikkeller ApS