All Others Pale | Mikkeller ApS

All Others PaleAll Others Pale

Mikkeller ApS
Denmark
mikkeller.dk

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Ingredients: Water, malt (maris ottar pale, munich, carapils and caramunich), flaked oats, hops (simcoe, centennial, amarillo and nugget) and ale yeast.

Brewed at De Proefbrouwerij

Added by akorsak on 02-15-2008

Liked:
3.86/5
Alströms:

3.68/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Very clear, copper body with a nice, thick off-white head. Very good rings descend the glass.

Fruit and malt aroma. Melon and pine in the hops. Very light caramel malt scent.

Light malt taste, light biscuit. A pleasant bitterness plays follow-up. A bit acidic.

Light bodied, smooth and clean for mouthfeel. Carbonation is very fine and doesn't impart much character to the feel.

A pleasant enough APA. A little on the 'light' side of things overall, but certainly easy drinking with mild yet intriguing flavor notes.

3.06/5  rDev -20.7%

A - Cloudy orange-copper, carbonation bubbles aplenty, 1 finger off white bubbly head, a good amount of lacing.

S - Sour, mixed berries, pineapple, olive, orange peel, grain, bread.

T - Old fruits, olive, light raison & licorice in the middle, light earthy/fruity hops, finishes with pale malt, grain, wheat. sour/funky olive after taste.

M - Medium body, slightly sticky, moderate carbonation.

O - Interesting, but I am not sure if that is a good thing in this case. Cap states "04 06 09" I think that means this beer is around 3 years old. I could only drink half the bottle, first Mikkeller drain pour, but I am sure it is because this is a really old batch.

3.5/5  rDev -9.3%

2.87/5  rDev -25.6%

1 pint .9 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into an Orval goblet in high altitude Castle Rock, Colorado. Reviewed live. Expectations are pretty high as this is me favourite brewery in the world.

A: Pours a one finger head of decent cream, fair thickness, and okay retention. Colour is a nontransparent dark copper.

Sm: Sweet, likely with lots of sugar, but also featuring some pleasant hop tones. A bit buttery. A mild strength aroma.

T: Simple, actually - in a very disappointing way. The hops lend the climax an unnatural bitterness. The sugar is a bit mishandled, but it does alright. It doesn't really feel like a pale ale; it's schizophrenic. The balance is completely off, but the build is alright. Overall, it's a disappointment.

Mf: Smooth and wet, suiting the flavours in a merely general manner.

Dr: Drinkable but disappointing considering the brewer. I definitely wouldn't get it again, as much as I like the brewer. Once again, Mikkeller fails at light beers. I may be a bit harsh on it because I expect so much more, but overall it isn't bad.

C

***
2nd impressions (09.04.15):

C

3.46/5  rDev -10.4%

A - Nice dark and murky brown/orange color. Quarter finger of head fades quickly. Ring of nice bubbly head around the edges. Decent lacing

S - Subtle smell. Not as hoppy as other pale ales. Not as citrusy. Getting some malts, getting some brown sugar... still not hitting me over the head.

T - Dry. About what I'd have gathered from the smell actually! Pleasant and refreshing but far from wonderful. Beginning and end of drink are where I'm getting the most flavor (and alcohol). It is hoppy with a hint of sweetness and alcohol. I do like the aftertaste--it is definitely smooth and balanced.

M - Nice mouthfeel. Good amount of thickness and carbonation.

O - Not many bad things to say about this beer, just not that many good. A decent beer I'd expect from a 6 pack.

3.25/5  rDev -15.8%

3.04/5  rDev -21.2%

Reviewed from notes at a friends house.

A - Poured into a duvel tulip an amber crystal clear hue. There is a nice one finger head that fades to leave a light halo and nice clouding.

S - Sweet malts and bland hops. Really lackluster.

T - More sweet malts and super light hops. Very dissappointing.

M - Eh, its got nice carbonation. Sits well in the mouth.

O - Not sure if this was an old bottle, but this stuff is pretty weak. Definately wouldn't buy again.

4.22/5  rDev +9.3%

I enjoyed this beer in a tulip glass over a couple pours. Each time I received a pretty decent amount of foam. As the beer settled, there was clumps of foam creating blotches of lacing.

Coloring was a nice, reddish brown. The smell from the top was refreshing with some hop presence, but it wasn't overwhelming.

The flavoring was mellow, but it definitely fits the profile of a pale. There is some hop presence, but it adds as a highlight to the rest of the beer.

My only negative for this beer was the dry mouth. After having this beer I needed to drink a lot of water.

This was a very good pale... not the cheapest, but I enjoyed this experience.

4.02/5  rDev +4.1%

This beer pours a slightly hazy caramel color with a finger of foamy off white head that retains well and leaves a trace of lacing. The aroma is strong with caramel and sweet malty notes. The taste starts very malty sweet and finishes with a slight amount oh hoppy bitterness. The mouthfeel was very very empty... The only reason I gave it a 3 and not lower is because I think the bottle might have been mishandled... However, since I don't have a comparison, that's what I had to go with. Overall a very good beer with plenty of potential.

4.65/5  rDev +20.5%

Good looking beer! I poured it from a half-liter long-neck bottle into an imperial pint glass. It's a cloudy amber color, bubbly white head with great retention and lacing. Attractive brew that makes me want to dive in.

It has a delicious malt aroma with a honey caramel smell... not too bold on the hops but there are a little there. The sweet honey smell is what really grabs you.

The taste is more of the same except that the hops come out a little more. Wow... a potpourri of malt flavors and hop hits and roasted flavors. What really stands out here is the burnt malt flavor on the aftertaste. The honey malt is first, then the bitter hops, then a burnt caramel flavor. Really a nice complexity to it.

I only wish I'd bought a few more of these. Next time I see them I'll grab several.

3.21/5  rDev -16.8%

Appearance: Color is a burnt, cloudy amber-orange that poured a big two-finger head that lowers to a very nice bit of lacing on top. Good looking.

Smell: Buttery sweet with a bit of sour earthy scent at the end. Also, I'm getting a sour milk near the end too.

Taste & Mouthfeel: Very hoppy upfront. Has a spikiness to it. Grassy flavors at the end. Buttery flavor come through midway. Sour and bitter aftertaste. Lighter in body...can see why they claim this is a quencher.

Drinkability: Not my favorite American Pale Ale and probably my least favorite of the Mikkeller beers that I've had so far. Not as interesting as I hoped it would be, but try for yourself and decide. It's still tasty.

2.44/5  rDev -36.8%

A - Crystal clear amber with a bone white head. Fine bubble structure with a light lace.

S - Fresh wart and brown breads.

T - Oh no. Something might be off with this batch - but considering all of the delicious Mikkeller brews I've had, I have to entertain the idea that this might be intentional? It tastes like the beer was bottled before it completed the first stage of fermentation. Lots unfermented wart and hop tea coming through the profile. Has an unfiltered, slightly watery sweetness, some tangy malt, and a very green hop character.

M - Crisp hop and round malt, but a watery mouthfeel. What booze is there plays out somewhat unpleasantly. Slightly sour finish.

D - If it was intentional, the flavor profile just came out over my head. Otherwise I'd chalk this up to a bad bottle. If you've never had a Mikkeller before don't let this review stop you, every other brew I've had from him was great.

4.34/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Another treat for me this season. I think this beer is a year old (cap has '131209' printed on the side of it) but I am hoping it has been stored well. (Total Bev, Westie, about $6)

This is not a very pale ale, rather it is tawny color with a slight head of a deep tan color.

Biscuity malts and a bit of citrus are the nose. Cleaner than the Mikkeller IPAs I have had but with plenty of content to enjoy.

Taste is sweet, tart, tangy, and full and well-balanced. I note the biscuity malts and a healthy hop presence. Very good pale ale in the English tradition, as the American pales I have had have had much less malt. As this beer warms the flavors start to gain significant complexity: butterscotch and more definition to the citrus.

Mouthfeel is moderate with good carbonation and a dry finish.

I could drink many of these, if I could afford and acquire them.

I always enjoy a Mikkeller beer and this is no exception. It is among the most drinkable of Mikkeller beers and gets high marks all-around.

Slainte!

3.68/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - poured a deep cloudy copper orange into an oversized snifter with a nice generous frothy head. lacing clung to the glass. really attractive pale ale
S - a touch syrupy but mostly hoppy and piny. pretty rich smelling
T - candied hops. not overly sweet, a bit minty. a bit syrupy and rich.
M/D - at first i felt that it was surprisingly thin, but then as it swilled around my mouth i noticed something truly unique and different. felt kind of candylike but smooth. interesting and unique for the style, probably not something i'd revisit. pretty full bodied but not all that bold.

3.58/5  rDev -7.3%

The beer pours an orange color with a white head. The aroma is a mix of various hops. I get notes of orange citrus, flowers and perfume. The flavor is oranges and pine with quite a bit of bitterness. The beer is not as bitter as most IPAs, but for an American Pale Ale, it is fairly bitter. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. Decent, but nothing special.

All Others Pale from Mikkeller ApS