Black (黑) | Mikkeller ApS

Mikkeller ApS
Denmark
mikkeller.dk

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Brewed at De Proefbrouwerij.

Ingredients: Water, malt, roasted barley, dark cassonade, ale yeast and champagne yeast.

Added by kkipple on 02-19-2008

4.18/5  rDev +12.4%

Poured into a tulip.

A- pours very dark, with a pleasantly rich creamy looking head

S- strong dark chocolate, cherries with a nice boozy hint.

T- bitter chocolate with some bourbon cherries, surprisingly smooth. It leaves a unique bite at the end, almost reminds me of a delicious iced Irish coffee.

M- thick with a nice silk texture leaving a charred/oak bite that lingers

O- Great, well balanced and a rich warming beer. I was skeptical at first considering it's 17.5% but I felt it was very palatable and can't wait to buy another one to age. You gotta love Mikkeller.

3.5/5  rDev -5.9%

4.75/5  rDev +27.7%

4.25/5  rDev +14.2%

3.5/5  rDev -5.9%

4.5/5  rDev +21%

3.91/5  rDev +5.1%

375ml bottle poured into tulip 1/3/12

A shes pretty dark alright there's a little cola at the edges but not much, massive three finger mocha foam has great retention slowly falling to a thick film leaving thick partial rings of lace deep down the glass

S some over-ripe plum with a little chocolate covered raisin, molasses, and booze, a little faint though a bit of a surprise

T much more dark roast in the mouth with loads of charred wood and some smokey bourbon, I'd believe this was bourbon barrel aged if I was told so, some licorice comes through and the booze is there but very well concealed all things considered

M pretty thick with just enough carbonation, some heat but controlled, and a very strong char aftertaste

O pretty good for a big intense brew but I found the Islay and Cognac versions far superior, this one's almost one sided with big burnt malt notes but I happen to like that to a degree

I might be tasting this next week at this rate, I do like this stuff but I don't think I'm going to drop the $$ to give the Islay and Cognac bottles in my cellar some company

I can't put a rating for this beer. too strong, too spiced, it has destroyed our palates and my stomach. very strong. too bitter

4.09/5  rDev +9.9%

Pours pitch black as night as appropriately named. Upon the pour, only a thin, mocha head appears which instantly dissolves to leave no lacing. This beer was picked up back in 2010, so it does have some age on it.

Robust aromas of roasted malt, dark chocolate, sweet dark fruits, bourbon, and perhaps a hint of licorice float from the glass.

The flavor is equally aggressive as it sweet and boozy featuring sweet chocolate and fruit with an aftertaste that is part port and part smoky roasted malt and hints of earthy peat come through as well.

The body is thick and viscous, yet smooth with a warming boozy finish that coats the palate like a fine port wine.

I am quite impressed with this beer and rank it up their with its peers such as WWS and Mephistopheles. While it seems to differ from some of these other monster Imperial Stouts, it still offers fantastic character that is a treat to the senses.

4.3/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a Southern Tier tulip style glass. No freshness date.

A- Pours an intensely opaque black with two fingers of dark tan fluffy head that slowly recedes leaving brilliant lacing.

S- Dark roasty chocolate in the nose with some medicinal-type booze that's not off-putting.

T- Bang! Definitely a sipper. Comes on strong with heavily roasted malts that linger and linger. The booze is quite powerful as well but lingers on the throat more than the tongue. There's actually a simple yet potent balance of hardcore roast and hardcore alcohol.

M- Dry and sharp. Heavy body and medium-high carbonation.

O- IMO, beats the hell out of Worldwide Stout. It's just as potent and roasty but has more pizazz. Maybe needs a bit more age but, since there's no freshness date (and it's in green glass), it would be tough to tell how long to let it go for unless you bought it straight from the brewery or distributor.

4.92/5  rDev +32.3%

This beer blew my mind. Mikkeller has an outstanding reputation for producing quality beers, but this beer was a monster. An incredible nose profile of the most incredible rich chocolates and warm boozy goodness. Thick mocha head that hung around to admire, and on that note I don't think I've ever seen such a dark head on a beer. The taste is what really blew me away though- upon first sip I knew exactly what I had been searching for in an Imperial Stout and this beer was everything I needed. It sat so well on all parts of the palate and the after-bite was just as good as the initial sip. It is not a drinker, but a sipper for sure. As it warmed to proper temp the nose profile opened up even more and you could smell the malts and grainy wholesome stout notes. While it did get a bit chore-like to finish the whole beer, it was an amazing experience and I am going out to buy another bottle asap before I cant find it again.

A black(!) brew, a brown head, leaving no lacing but very good curtains.

Smelling of dark chocolate, dried dark fruits, sherry and cherry!

Tasting of sweet candid cherries, chocolate and cold coffee and soy sauce.

No carbonation, a soft and oily texture, a light dry finish.

Very nice and well balanced, 2007 vintage.

3.29/5  rDev -11.6%

Vintage 2007 (black foil).

The liquid is clear, the colour black. No head, although there are some brown bubbles on the liquid.

The powerful smell got distinct note of soy sauce. Raw alcohol. Coffee. Nuts.

The taste is dry and strong. Dried fruits. Fiery alcohol. Liqueur fills candy. Dandelions. Sherry. No noticeable bitterness. The aftertaste got thick oily flavours of soy sauce, coffee and cocoa sauce. The finish brings a surprisingly strong bitter flavour as well as hints of figs.

No carbonation. The liquid is thick and smooth.

An interesting and powerful brew. However I can appreciate the craft, I wouldn’t buy another bottle.

4.2/5  rDev +12.9%

On tap at Local Option in Chicago. 8oz pour in a small snifter. Dense black color with speckled lacing and multiples bubbles on the edge. Smell is intense, much like a port. Dark fruit, coffee flavors and a nice boozy aroma. Flavor is complex dark fruit, nutty, coffee. Very intense. Dense and chewy mouthfeel. Glad I had the opportunity to try this. This was the original 2009 which supposedly was dated try before 2020. More like port than a beer. Would love to sample this with more age.

Black (黑) from Mikkeller ApS