Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Black (黑) | Mikkeller ApS

Mikkeller ApS
Denmark
mikkeller.dk

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Brewed at De Proefbrouwerij.

Ingredients: Water, malt, roasted barley, dark cassonade, ale yeast and champagne yeast.

Added by kkipple on 02-19-2008

3.65/5  rDev -3.9%

I had this on-tap at the Mikkeller Bar in Copenhagen. Poured into a tulip glass. 2012 edition.

Appearance: Pours pitch black with a layer of tan head that leaves a thin layer on the edge of the glass as it fades.

Smell: Smoke and some roast with a malt sweetness. I'm also getting some dark chocolate, dark fruit, and some alcohol.

Taste: This is a very roasty, heavy stout. Somewhat bitter with a lot of malt sweetness. The roasted malt flavor along with the sweetness is giving me some dark chocolate. There is an alcohol burn and some bitterness in the finish.

Mouthfeel: The body is thick with smooth carbonation and some heat from the alcohol. The finish is rather slick.

Overall: This is an intense beer in all aspects. Very bitter and boozy in the finish. Some time might smooth that out. I'd still have another.

3.89/5  rDev +2.4%

A: Deep black and still with no head and minimal lacing but expected for a beer this big

S: Rich roasty malts; lots of booze--bourbon especially; lots of dark fruits, raisins; so boozy and sweet and rich...mmm

T: So boozy and sweet and boozy and sweet: alcohol, bourbon, coffee with faint chocolate and raisins

F: Almost no carbonation and creamy and a bit viscous but surprisingly thin too

O: Wow, this is big; almost too big; it's delicious but man, this is boozy

3.78/5  rDev -0.5%

Bottle picked up locally a while back. Dated 30/06/20 on the cap. Enjoyed from a mikkeller wine glass.

a - brew poured a deep sludgy black with a full 2 fingers of creamy tan grey head that sat there forever.

s - I could smell the booze as soon as the cap came off the bottle, although my bottle says 16%. Closer inspection is chocolate roasted malts smothered in rubbing alcohol. Some spiciness gives it a nice glaze.

t - Although the heat is on, my first sip was actually quite good. The nose lead me to believe that I had embarked on a chore by opening this bres, but the favors are pretty creamy and milk chocolatey. Make no mistake though this beer is a booze BOMB. if you can get passed the intense alcohol, there is a nice almost milk stout in there.

m - BOOZY my mouth is tingling. Like drinking moonshine, but the backbone is a nice sweet milk stout.

o - overall, mikkeller beers are SO hit or miss for me. This one kind of tows the line between both. The beer is actually nice, but the novelty of the intense alc burn takes away from the flavor quite a bit. That being said, once you get over the booze this is a great one and done beer.

4.25/5  rDev +11.8%

4.18/5  rDev +10%

Poured into a tulip.

A- pours very dark, with a pleasantly rich creamy looking head

S- strong dark chocolate, cherries with a nice boozy hint.

T- bitter chocolate with some bourbon cherries, surprisingly smooth. It leaves a unique bite at the end, almost reminds me of a delicious iced Irish coffee.

M- thick with a nice silk texture leaving a charred/oak bite that lingers

O- Great, well balanced and a rich warming beer. I was skeptical at first considering it's 17.5% but I felt it was very palatable and can't wait to buy another one to age. You gotta love Mikkeller.

3.5/5  rDev -7.9%

4.75/5  rDev +25%

4.25/5  rDev +11.8%

3.5/5  rDev -7.9%

4.5/5  rDev +18.4%

3.91/5  rDev +2.9%

375ml bottle poured into tulip 1/3/12

A shes pretty dark alright there's a little cola at the edges but not much, massive three finger mocha foam has great retention slowly falling to a thick film leaving thick partial rings of lace deep down the glass

S some over-ripe plum with a little chocolate covered raisin, molasses, and booze, a little faint though a bit of a surprise

T much more dark roast in the mouth with loads of charred wood and some smokey bourbon, I'd believe this was bourbon barrel aged if I was told so, some licorice comes through and the booze is there but very well concealed all things considered

M pretty thick with just enough carbonation, some heat but controlled, and a very strong char aftertaste

O pretty good for a big intense brew but I found the Islay and Cognac versions far superior, this one's almost one sided with big burnt malt notes but I happen to like that to a degree

I might be tasting this next week at this rate, I do like this stuff but I don't think I'm going to drop the $$ to give the Islay and Cognac bottles in my cellar some company

I can't put a rating for this beer. too strong, too spiced, it has destroyed our palates and my stomach. very strong. too bitter

4.09/5  rDev +7.6%

Pours pitch black as night as appropriately named. Upon the pour, only a thin, mocha head appears which instantly dissolves to leave no lacing. This beer was picked up back in 2010, so it does have some age on it.

Robust aromas of roasted malt, dark chocolate, sweet dark fruits, bourbon, and perhaps a hint of licorice float from the glass.

The flavor is equally aggressive as it sweet and boozy featuring sweet chocolate and fruit with an aftertaste that is part port and part smoky roasted malt and hints of earthy peat come through as well.

The body is thick and viscous, yet smooth with a warming boozy finish that coats the palate like a fine port wine.

I am quite impressed with this beer and rank it up their with its peers such as WWS and Mephistopheles. While it seems to differ from some of these other monster Imperial Stouts, it still offers fantastic character that is a treat to the senses.

4.3/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a Southern Tier tulip style glass. No freshness date.

A- Pours an intensely opaque black with two fingers of dark tan fluffy head that slowly recedes leaving brilliant lacing.

S- Dark roasty chocolate in the nose with some medicinal-type booze that's not off-putting.

T- Bang! Definitely a sipper. Comes on strong with heavily roasted malts that linger and linger. The booze is quite powerful as well but lingers on the throat more than the tongue. There's actually a simple yet potent balance of hardcore roast and hardcore alcohol.

M- Dry and sharp. Heavy body and medium-high carbonation.

O- IMO, beats the hell out of Worldwide Stout. It's just as potent and roasty but has more pizazz. Maybe needs a bit more age but, since there's no freshness date (and it's in green glass), it would be tough to tell how long to let it go for unless you bought it straight from the brewery or distributor.

4.92/5  rDev +29.5%

This beer blew my mind. Mikkeller has an outstanding reputation for producing quality beers, but this beer was a monster. An incredible nose profile of the most incredible rich chocolates and warm boozy goodness. Thick mocha head that hung around to admire, and on that note I don't think I've ever seen such a dark head on a beer. The taste is what really blew me away though- upon first sip I knew exactly what I had been searching for in an Imperial Stout and this beer was everything I needed. It sat so well on all parts of the palate and the after-bite was just as good as the initial sip. It is not a drinker, but a sipper for sure. As it warmed to proper temp the nose profile opened up even more and you could smell the malts and grainy wholesome stout notes. While it did get a bit chore-like to finish the whole beer, it was an amazing experience and I am going out to buy another bottle asap before I cant find it again.

A black(!) brew, a brown head, leaving no lacing but very good curtains.

Smelling of dark chocolate, dried dark fruits, sherry and cherry!

Tasting of sweet candid cherries, chocolate and cold coffee and soy sauce.

No carbonation, a soft and oily texture, a light dry finish.

Very nice and well balanced, 2007 vintage.

Black (黑) from Mikkeller ApS