Monk's Elixir (Monk's Brew) | Mikkeller ApS

Monk's Elixir (Monk's Brew)Monk's Elixir (Monk's Brew)

Mikkeller ApS
Denmark
mikkeller.dk

Style: Quadrupel (Quad)

Brewed at De Proef Brouwerij, Lochristi-Hijfte, Belgium.

Ingredients: Water, malt (pilsner and pale), candy syrup, cassonade sugar, hops (northern brewer, hallertauer and styrian goldings), ale yeast

Added by BeerAdvocate on 03-22-2008

3.9

4.23/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Chilled 750 ml bottle into a shaker pint. No visible bottling date.

Look- Near opaque brown, three fingers of beige head that fall to a cap that looks suspiciously like a mini-buttermilk biscuit. Generous amount of lace, even the glass between the rings is coated with suds.

Smell- Raisin, baker's chocolate, anise, cola, raspberry-esque sour tinge.

Taste- Molasses, dark amber honey, black cherry, chocolate-dipped almonds, toasted raisins. Floury aftertaste. Very light feel, no hint of the... what? 10%? Did a double-take there, I was expecting 8 or so. In any case, you wouldn't know it. Just the right level of sweetness. As it warms, it takes on a bit of woody brandy-like character. Flavor profile is very similar to a weakly-peated Scotch Ale, but remains true to the style with touches of Belgian yeast and dark candied fruits.

Mouthfeel- Light-medium body, very, very clean for a strong dark. A bit of stick, but it's neither cloying nor boozy. Slight warming. Exceptional drinkability.

Overall- A very light, refreshing dark ale. I don't believe that's something I've thought about the style before. Simple, nothing unexpected going on, but what it does, it does with style and depth. It also goes down too easily, if anything. I'd definitely spring on the barrel-aged version if I ever see it. Highly recommended.

3.75/5  rDev -3.8%

4.25/5  rDev +9%

4.5/5  rDev +15.4%

4.24/5  rDev +8.7%

Tiny offwhite head, deep brown body.

Nose contains dates, some plum and dark fruit.

The dates and dark fruit are present in the taste as well, along with a hint of orange on the aftertaste with a trace of booziness. Quite sweet and malty, similar to Gouden Carolus Classic. Very much a Belgian strong dark ale at heart, and i feel like it reminds me of something else, but I can't put my finger on what.

Feel is pretty nice and smooth.

Great quad, dark and full of bold dark fruit. I'd give it 6 months to tame the booziness though.

4.5/5  rDev +15.4%

4.75/5  rDev +21.8%

4.75/5  rDev +21.8%

3.75/5  rDev -3.8%

3.35/5  rDev -14.1%

This is the hardest cork I've ever tried to get out of a bottle. Say no to synthetic corks!

A - Pours a murky brown with a tan one finger head. It's not pretty to look at.

S - The smell comes off sweet. I'm getting some raisins, prunes and caramel.

T - A bit sweet and syrupy. Once that subsides, then you're left with figs/raisins/dates. The finish does last a while and so does the alcohol presence.

M - Somewhat thin and watery. Could use more substance.

O - Nothing to rave about here. Just a good mid-road quad that offers nothing new or something you can't live without.

3.97/5  rDev +1.8%

Bottle from Beer Deluxe simply labelled Monk's Elixir. From notes.

A - Poured a very dark brown, almost black. Good carbonation, one finger of light brown head left a film of retention and spotty lace.

S - Sugar with sugar fruits. Yeast and creamy chocolate. Prune perhaps and alot more lighter dark fruits. Very neat.

T - Lot's of dark fruit, sugar, light chocolate, caramel apples, and raisins.

M - Decent carbonation, full body and a sweet finish.

O/D - A really nice Quad. Maybe too sweet but tasty all the way through and had nothing to complain about.

3.7/5  rDev -5.1%

1 pint 9.4 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into me Guinness goblet at me gaff in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Mikkeller is me favourite brewery in the world and I love quads so I'm really excited for this and I have very high expectations. Labelled a "Dark Ale" on the bottle; I'll review this as a quad per the site but I'm always suspicious of Beeradvocate's categorization.

Served refrigerator cold and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured in a standard manner; no carbonation issues are anticipated.

I enjoyed the Mikkel-as-monk artwork on the label.

A: Pours a one finger head of nice cream, good thickness, and good retention - especially considering the high ABV and the serving vessel. Retains for at least three minutes, but I can't wait that long to try it. Colour is an extremely dark ruby-black. Nontransparent but not opaque. Floating yeast particles are visible and abundant. I'm surprised at how dark its colour is given the style.

Sm: Cherry and berry fruit esters, cream, plums, biscuity malts, clean light malts, rich cream, and complex yeast aromas. A marvellous aroma. Really gets me excited to drink it. Subtle. A mild strength aroma. I'd like it stronger; it's quite pleasant, alive, and inviting.

T: Plums, heavy raisin, dark berry esters, very restrained dark cherry (not tart at all), some light caramelization tones, clean dark malts, complex biscuity yeasts, cream, biscuit malt, a bready note (but not in a thick sense), and hints of grape. Quite complex, with some layering but not as much as I'd like. Subtle but still understated. Nicely balanced but perhaps not as full bodied a flavour profile as would be ideal. It comes off feeling a bit empty near the climax because not that much additional flavour comes through. No alcohol is detectable.

Pleasant and enjoyable. It isn't unique, but it's certainly special. A well built quadrupel, but not incredible. This might be great with some red wine aging.

I noticed towards the bottom third of the bottle that a chocolate flavour crept in. I don't know how a chocolate flavour could be connected to yeast content, but I observed and verified this phenomenon.

Mf: Delightfully creamy throughout. Very smooth and wet, rolling across the palate nicely and staying out of the way of the flavour profile. The cream in particularly is subtly complementary of the flavours without intruding on them. A bit thin.

The raisin seems to dry out the climax somewhat, a nice touch but an awkwardly executed one.

Dr/Ov: Very drinkable, especially for the ABV - which is incredibly well hidden. I would certainly have this again, preferably aged or on-draught (the former more than the latter). As noted above, red wine aging might make this great.

This drank just fine out of me Guinness goblet, but if I had it again I might go for a goblet with a wider mouth. I wouldn't recommend a snifter for this one; the aroma is nice but it isn't integral and doesn't need trapping.

B