Beer Geek Brunch Weasel | Mikkeller ApS

Denmark
mikkeller.dk

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Brewed at Nøgne Ø.

Imperial oatmeal stout brewed with coffee. Ingredients: Water, malts, hops, yeast and Vietnamese ca phe chon coffee.

Added by ClockworkOrange on 01-02-2009

Reviews: 833 | Ratings: 2,833
4.88/5  rDev +13.2%

Tulip

A - Insane sludgy black/brown (shades the whole glass a nice earthy brown), beautiful deep brown one finger head and some serious head and sticky lacing

S - Wow, the coffee in the nose just pops and it is lovely, tons of coca, great booze, a hint of chicory, huge sweet and roasted malts, vanilla, molasses, slight spice, woodsy hop, sugar, belgian yeast or maybe anise?, terrior, green earth and a note I can't put my finger on, very pungent almost funk

T - Starts with an almost piney/citrusy hop note, world class coffee comes rushing in (not to acidic, not to roasted, just perfect. weird that pooped out coffee tastes so good), huge milk chocolate that dissipates into an awesome dark chocolate bitterness, creamy smooth (most likely the oatmeal) tons of sweet and toasted malts, can't put my finger on the yeast note, maybe slightly Belgian?, cinnamon, terrior, slight vanilla bean, earth, foliage, slight booze note (but no distinctive spirit) and wet but super fresh wood

M - Full bodied, awesome balance, medium minus acidity, great complexity and very long sweet to bittersweet to earthy finish

D/O - This is a wonderful beer. I read poop and freak out, but this is my biggest surprise of the year so far. I mean I like Mikkeller, but, wow, this is a wonderful stout. If you aren't a fan of pretty big beers, you may want to stay away. If you are willing and ready to try something awesome, get 'er done!

Final thoughts - I was worried about the $15 price tag, but dang, this almost 11% abv stout has made my list of beers I really, really enjoy more than most

500 mL from the second batch into a Sam Smith tulip pint glass

A: This beer pours like a black hole. A soul-sucking vortex that mercilessly devours all light. Half finger copper/brown head that disappears quickly and leaves a faint ring of its former-self. No lacing.

S: Massive cocoa smells, think 85% dark chocolate bar kind of cocoa. A mountain of roasted ground coffee. Caramel, burnt grains, raisins and vanilla in that order. Warming alcohol tickles my nose. Bitter and acidic with sweet notes and a slight boozy characteristic, exactly how an imperial stout should smell to me.

T: First sip, wow this beats every imperial stout I've had until now. Right away I get the raisins and booze but its not a particularly hot beer, even at almost 11% ABV. Heavy on the chocolate, which I loved about this beer, with some vanilla and caramel pulling through. Then the coffee hits. I hate coffee, I love coffee flavor, but I hate coffee none the less. This beer might just make a coffee drinker out of me. Smooth and even a little creamy, beautifully balanced between bitter and fruity, bold and tasty daring you to have another sip right away. Absolutely incredible. None of the ash/smoke/charcoal mentioned from others that have had this batch, mine was perfect.

M: I knew when it poured thick enough to be mistaken for molasses that this would be great. Thick, viscous, and coating on my tongue. Not overly carbonated either. Not so thick and flat that I need to choke it down, but man this beer is a meal.

D: This beer dares you to have sip after sip, bottle after bottle until the day you no longer can enjoy this wonderful beer. The ABV, price, and availability prevent this though. I wish this were more easily available at least, this may be my new favorite imperial stout. What an incredible beer, I was nervous that it wouldn't live up to the hype and I am so glad that it did.

4.87/5  rDev +13%

I am very glad that I tried this one before I read the description. Apparently, the coffee beans used in this phenomenal stout went through a weasel before they were collected from the jungle floor.

The result is that the bitterness of the coffee bean has been magnificently mellowed before it mingles with the oatmeal.

The mouthfeel on this thick, ebony stout lingers long after you have forgotten the inglorious path that the coffee beans traveled before reaching your lips.

4.87/5  rDev +13%

This is the beer of my dreams.

Although I am a man who loves imperial stouts, i feel this beer can be respected by all beer enthusiasts, even if you do not prefer the dark stuff.

First I poured half of this beer into some sort of wine style glass. Perhaps to cold when i first poured it, still gave off full aromas of dark rich malt, coffee, and vanilla. As i poured it, it filled the glass with a thick motor oil of pure darkness, and left much residue on the side of the glass. As expected there was little to no carbonation, and i had to try to create a head by pouring it rougher than needed. When there was finally a head of around a fingers thickness I ceased pouring and handed the beer off to my beer drinking partner.

As I took the first full drink, i let it sit in my mouth for a full 5 seconds before swallowing (thats what she said). At first I tasted the wonderful malts, then vanilla, then the taste of coffee slowly creeping it way onto my taste buds. As I am engorged in these flavors a strange sweetness starts pushing its way through. Now all of the full flavors and sweetness are virtually attacking my mouth. As the sip is heavily swallowed due to thickness, something sweet is still left in my mouth. It is maybe a sugary coffee flavor.

As the beer gets warmer it get more complex but holds similar characteristics. Nowhere in the drinking process did i taste the hefty 10.9 percent alcohol. Not even the slightest little bight.

This beer virtually ruined my perception of imperial stouts. I still love other imperial stouts by alesmith, stone, dogfish head, greenflash, and so on, but this by far takes the cake. I will have a hard time purchasing anything but these stouts by Mikkeller.

4.85/5  rDev +12.5%

Shared with Cavery. Poured into an oversize wine glass.

A: Deep black with a thin tan head that eventually leaves a small tan ring around the top of the glass. Reminds me very much of the visual of Speedway Stout.

S: Funky. I felt nervous after I read the side of the bottle right before drinking it. I've never had the coffee so I didn't know what to expect. Honestly it smelled enticing, this seems awfully different. High quality coffee, chocolate, spices, and honestly a little bit of shit in the nose (not just from expectation, I believe). Makes me excited for the taste.

T: Hot damn, that is an amazing beer. Punches you with a mysterious funk that blooms out into a delicious coffee, chocolate, coconut flow that rolls out into your mouth then curls back up slow mo back into the original punch of funk, mellowing out with a mix of all of the flavors. The taste is amazing-- my expectations and fears are floored.

M: Wonderfully creamy, fits the taste profile awesomely, especially helps bring up the coconut sense that comes in the mouth.

O: This is maybe the most underrated beer I've ever encountered. The fact that I never see this thrown down in trades or talked about or in the top 100 list all attest to that fact. I applaud mikkeller for the bold experiment and the spectacular result. It's pretty rare that I seek out a beer soon after I have it but I'll be securing more bottles of this when I can.

4.85/5  rDev +12.5%

A: Deep black, with a thick beige crema head. Soda pop effervescence.

S: Wonderful scents of gourmet coffee and roasted malts.

T: World class. This is one of my favorite beers of all time. I have had this beer several times now, and it's blown me away every time. It's slightly sweet, and the coffee is superb (no matter where it came from). The delicious oatmeal gives the beer a crispness that makes it even tastier and more drinkable. This is a desert island beer for me.

M: Perfect carbonation and buttery smooth.

D: Truly fantastic beer. I'd drink this anytime.

4.83/5  rDev +12.1%

A - Pitch black color, even on the hues. Large, incredibly thick, creamy, rocky, sticky, cafe colored head with amazing retention that finally settles into a nice creamy, sticky layer of lace. Looks amazing.

S - Wonderful smelling beer. Rich coffee is obviously strong but there is also a strong dark chocolate and roasted dark malt aroma. Good amount of caramel and molasses sweetness as well. Some nutty and earthy aroma and a touch of alcohol are also vaguely present in the background.

T - Strong roasted espresso starts off the taste. Quickly rich chocolate, caramel, molasses, and cream flavors come in to provide a touch of sweetness along with the coffee taste. A touch of earthy, nuttiness comes out mid sip as well. A good amount of vanilla is also present and just a hint of anise. Roasted oatmeal has a good undertone throughout the sip that doesn't dominate but provides a bit of a backbone to the beer. Delicious, rich coffee is persistent along with a nice chocolate and sweetness to balance out the roasted bitterness.

M - Medium body with a good amount of carbonation. Smooth and creamy. Just a bit of a chewiness, but not as much I was expecting from an oatmeal stout.

D - Very easy to drink beer with a nice balance of coffee and other flavors, especially the sweeter ones.

Notes: Bottled 03/11/08. Very good coffee stout. Strong coffee flavor, but also has a good amount of traditional oatmeal stout flavor, and a nice chocolaty and sweetness (and some creaminess). Went incredibly well with breakfast. Wonderful beer, definitely worth picking up.

Mikkeller Beer Geek Brunch Weasel

Appearance: Black, great lacing, and a small head.

Smell: Coffee, faint oat, and slight hop.

Taste: Slightly-hoppy roasted-malt coffee.

Mouthfeel: Heavy and similar to coffee.

Overall:
This is mighty good. I like my coffee black and this is just like that! I would love to have this with breakfast or brunch. I can't say that for many beers.

4.83/5  rDev +12.1%

This was a wow beer, heavy heavy coffee, turkish black tar like, huge funky banyward flavors and aromas coming from the obvious weasel droppings. was well wirth the wait till I seeked this out finally

4.82/5  rDev +11.8%

Second stout from mikkeller.

This beer pours like olive oil into the glass with a deep red/brown head that barely hits a half inch. Tight carbonation that isn't excessive.

Smell is nutty, little bitter chocolate.

The taste is out of this world. Malt and bitter chocolate fade into a super robust and balanced black coffee booze heaven. The taste is a 6/5 and overcomes the slightly boring smell to make this beer perfect to me.

Just amazing. Glad I have two more!!

4.82/5  rDev +11.8%

Yes! This beer is the shit!! Bottle pours pitch black with tan head. Aromas are simply amazing. Strong coffee, chocolate, and more coffee. Has a medium heavy mouthfeel. Flavor follows the nose. Has a strong coffee characteristic, a creaminess, dark chocolate, and finishes with brown sugar. I could drink this all night. Its such a wonderful brew. I may have to break the bank and pick up another bottle or two. Wow.

4.82/5  rDev +11.8%

Sampled this at a recent tasting at gordons fine wine and liquors (pretty epic tasting)

This beer pours a dark black color with a nice brown head, that lasts throughout the pour.

the smell is the best coffee scent I have ever experienced in a beer, so smooth and rich

the flavor was very similar to the smnell, such a rich coffee flavor yet it was smoth and not at all bitter. they coffee flavor was accompanied by a wonderful roasty malt goodness that made this beer go down very easy.

the beer was very drinkbale with a a medium body to the mouthfeel

4.81/5  rDev +11.6%

I was with some friends at a bar and the bartender saw that we were really into the beer. It didn't take too long for him to realize that he should try pushing some expensive bottles on us. After having consumed a couple beers already, we quickly agreed that it was a good idea to spend $24 on this bottle. Ouch. Good timing for my 100th review anyway.

Pours an opaque, oily black with a spotty covering of moka head, which recedes to pretty much nothing. No lacing. 3.5 only for the nice viscous look of the pour.

This stout smells absolutely delicious, wafting itself out of the glass over to your nose. Milk chocolate, minerals, cotton candy, caramel, cheesecake, a latte from the best coffee place in town. It smells like a dessert. Awesome.

The taste is just as good: dark chocolate, bread, high-quality coffee (though whether you can actually taste the quality gained from passing through a cat's ass is questionable), espresso grinds, vanilla ice cream, bourbon. No alcohol presence, which at 10.9% is crazy. This beer has the best aftertaste I've ever experienced; coffee ice cream lingering on forever. Amazing.

Perfect body. Oily, sticky, creamy, thick and full with almost no carbonation.

I could chug this stuff like chocolate milk on a hot day. I'm only taking off 0.5 for the fact that if you did actually chug this stuff, you wouldn't be conscious for very long. So drinkable.

4.8/5  rDev +11.4%

as a dark chocolate nose with hints of anise and surprisingly less coffee than I expected. There are definitely notes of fresh coffee beans though. The taste is another story all together. It screams coffee. Strong, dark roasted, black coffee. There are some slight notes of chocolate and maybe some raisins with just the tiniest touch of anise. Although the coffee is extremely dominant and strong, it is good coffee and it tastes fantastic. The mouthfeel is thick and chewy and it is just like breakfast in a bottle.

4.8/5  rDev +11.4%

Pitch black Pour with thich deep mahagony head that had a beautiful look to it.
Aroma of bitter chocolate..cinnamon like in french toast and coffee...And then I tasted...Holy coffee and deep roasted flavors. Wonderful!!massive lacing and it just coated my dogfish head snifter..
Creamy and lucious mouthfeel...could drink this one everyday.

4.8/5  rDev +11.4%

Fighting with Shelton is worth it for bottles like this.

Ink black body beneath a large, dense, mocha colored head. I think I can see fine pieces of coffee grounds in the head.

The aroma shows undertones of coffee and roasted malt, but my nose seems to focus on abundant fig notes. Actually reminds me of my mom's bacon wrapped dates. As my glass warmed I realized I may have served this too cold. Earthy coffee notes have replaced figs as the central aroma.

Holy crap, that is intense! The palate is far more balanced than the aroma. Coffee shows much more here. I have never tasted Civet coffee, but if this is what its like, I need to buy some whatever the cost. Rich, intense, slightly earthy coffee flavor but the bitterness is mild to medium. There are some darck chocolate notes and a hint of the fig that seemed so big on the nose. No noticeable hop flavor, though a lingering bitterness adds balance. Insanely good, a major improvement over Beer Geek Breakfast, and I didn't think that beer could be improved.

The body is just as impressive as the flavor. Super velvety feel, creamy smooth goodness with enough carbonation to prevent a syrupy mess.

I wondered how different this would be from BG Breakfast. Would I notice the Civet coffee? Would it really change the beer? The answer is yes on both counts. The Civet coffee is extraordinary and it greatly enhances the beer. That and pitch perfect mouthfeel make this one of the better Stouts I have had and allow me to fell better about the money I dropped on this 16.9oz bottle. If you find it, buy it!

4.8/5  rDev +11.4%

Bottled. Pours black with medium, brown head. Fair lacings Nose of black coffee, roasted malt and vanilla. Sweet flavour with honey, coffee, vanilla and dark chocolate. Full bodied. oily/creamy texture. Flat carbonation. More dry with some bitterness in the finish. It it’s a awesome nice brew and it has developed with few years of storage

4.8/5  rDev +11.4%

500ml bottle served in a snifter glass.

A: Pours a deep black color and forms medium and an incredibly dark beige to brown head. Retention is low but leaves a lot thin lacings and a small layer lasts for long

S: Throws off a bouquet of coffee, dark chocolate and Cognac. Roasted malts, earthy hops and yeasts

T: Follows the nose. Very intense beer. Strong on roasted malt, coffee and dark chocolate. Bit sweet upfront followed by an intense earthy, hoppy bitterness

M: Absolutely creamy, heavy and molasses body. A dirty beer. Medium to low carbonation. Roasty bitter aftertaste is pure pleasure

O: Fantastic beer. Very drinkable. Perfect imperial stout

4.8/5  rDev +11.4%

500 ml bottle poured into a Struise tulip glass. No sharing, this was ALL mine! One needs to indulge sometimes, it's good for the soul. Bad for the wasteline though.

A: I hate to use the word, but as imperial coffee stouts go, this is literally perfection. Pitch black with no light coming through whatsoever, topped by the darkest head I've ever seen. It literally looks like frothed-up candy syrup and espresso.

S: Huge aroma explosion of fresh coffee beans, some hops and roasted malts. Coffee is obviously the star here, followed by dark baker's chocolate, some dried fruits, hops and candy sugar. This is probably one of the most gorgeous things you'll smell in your life.

T: It also delivers on the taste in a huge way. Coffee is the shining star here, but it also cuts through the richness of the coffee, chocolate and brown sugar with some hops. Beautiful little zips and zings that will challenge your palate with every sip.

M: Soft carbonation, creamy and beautiful. I might have actually preferred this beer just a tad flatter, so this is pretty much the only point where it isn't damn near perfect for me. This beer is also infamous for forming glycerol (a jelly-like byproduct) at the bottom of the bottle over aging.

O: Literally the only thing that lets this beer down is the glycerol and slightly overcarbonated mouthfeel, which you could obviously partially remedy by letting it breathe for a while. Other than that, this is as close to Heaven as a non-believing man like me will likely get. Thank you Denmark, for this 500 ml of damn-near perfection.

4.79/5  rDev +11.1%

Poured at Max's Taphouse.

Pours a beautiful dark rich coffee black with brown coffee colored lacing .

Smell is mainly of coffee, alittle roasted malt and a hint of chocolate.

Taste is amazing, its purely coffee with little to no alcohol taste, but mainly coffee with a little chocolate and hint of hops. The after taste once again is around the coffee not the stout, excellent.

I love this beer and the weasel coffee take on it. For the cost its a must have, one of my favorites.

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

A: pours a deep black body with a huge 2 fingers worth of dark brown head formation. the lacing is absolutely phenomenal and there's still about 1 fingers worth of head even after 2 minutes of allowing to settle. (the pour was not aggressive by any means and was pours into a Bruery snifter)

S: beautiful blend of robust coffee grounds, semi-sweet chocolate, and a bug vanilla creamy touch. there is a slight touch of alcohol presence but its invigorating and sits in perfectly with this brew. i'm also picking up a slight tobacco leaf and licorice presence.

T: damn this shit is good! following the nose, I find big coffee grounds as the dominating player with an awesome chocolate backbone and a beautiful creamy finish with a lit touch of hops. honestly, this is one of the smoothest brews i've ever had.

M: on the medium-heavy side, the palate is left with a phenomenal coffee and chocolate sweetness. that urges me to take another sip. this is truly fantastic.

O: one of the best stouts I have ever had, and possibly my favorite non-BA stout. I hate the fact that this one is so damn pricey, but it's truly a fantastic brew. a must try, must have.

4.79/5  rDev +11.1%

So I have to be honest. I think that it's kind of cool that something I've drank came out of a weasel-cat butthole. Ewww, but f-ing awesome.

Poured into a snifter from a bottle. Dark brown/black with a very thick, tan head. No lace.

The smell is pretty goddang wonderful. Very oat and coffee
, with some chocolate and booze. Vanilla in the finish. Very rich smell.

Being that I love coffee stouts, mmm. G
The coffee flavor is Turkish coffee rich, super smooth oatmeal, slight chocolate, earthy hops, slight touch of pine, alcohol spice (also slight), with a cocoa finish. Velvet in the throat.

Damn good. More please.

4.78/5  rDev +10.9%

A - Like a thick black coffee. The head is thick and creamy.

S - Like old oak wooden casks.

T - Chocolate, coffee and in the back some wine like tones. Long lasting bitterness and wood, alcohol is beautifully masked.

M - Thick and creamy, almost no carbonation.

O - Beautiful complex beer to enjoy on a quiet moment. I can understand that this is the best Danish beer.

4.78/5  rDev +10.9%

A few months ago i was affoarded the opportunity to share in a few ounces of this at a tasting and have been waiting patiently ever since for a bottle to call my own.

Pours a rich, creamy and slighlty grainy near black color. Great cap of creamy, dense brown colored head, great retention and lacing. Smell is of bitter cocoa, fresh cream, roasted espresso beans, earth, smoke and wood. What hits you before the taste is the ultra creamy yet still textured mouthfeel... reminicent of chocolate milk made with bitter cocoa powder and whole milk. First taste is of the chocolate, followeed by a much mellower presence of espresso. A unique dark berry like flavor throughout the taste as well as hints of earth. An excellent brew, truly unique in design and taste... one of the rare instances of a "novelty" ingredient and fine craftsmanship combining for one of the best beers around.

4.78/5  rDev +10.9%

Shared with two non-BA friends who frankly were kind of freaked out by the concept, until they tasted it.

A- Deep black with a coffee with cream colored head that was thick and fluffy for a minute or so.

S- Coffee on coffee with beautiful malty tones and woody or nutty hints

T- Bark was worse than it's bite, nice milder coffee flavor, bittersweet chocolate. The brewers did a great job of hiding the higher ABV

M- At first it had a nice mouth feel, viscous and a touch dry but good. At the end it had some texture and left grit in the glass

D- Could drink a bunch more but with only 7K bottles in the US, expense and rarity of the coffee, not likely. Good special occasion sipper

Beer Geek Brunch Weasel from Mikkeller ApS