Beer Geek Brunch Weasel | Mikkeller ApS

Denmark
mikkeller.dk

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Brewed at Nøgne Ø.

Imperial oatmeal stout brewed with coffee. Ingredients: Water, malts, hops, yeast and Vietnamese ca phe chon coffee.

Added by ClockworkOrange on 01-02-2009

Ratings: 2,878 |  Reviews: 841

3.5/5  rDev -18.8%

Too roasty for my tastes

3.53/5  rDev -18.1%

I don't buy too many imported beers and tend to favor American micro brews, but I love coffee beers way too much to ever pass this up!

A - Black! very dark! thin roasted head that evenly floats on top. Lacing wants to cling tightly to the glass. Gorgeous!

S - cold press coffee with a little spice and some chocolate. Just enough sweetness that it's not too roasted/dry smelling and it's in no way hidden. A bit boozy.

T - Little bit like a milk stout. Big time Imperial Stout. Still boozy. Not as much coffee as I'd hope.

M - creamy, medium-heavy mouthfeel. bit of alcohol blows off on your breath. Heat sits on your tongue.

o -It's a bit more alcohol hot than I'd prefer, but I bet it would become awesome with some age. I still feel like I missed out on some coffee characteristics. drink this one warmer than colder. Not bad at all, but where's the rest of the coffee?

did I get the same beer everyone else here reviewed? I feel ripped off.

3.53/5  rDev -18.1%

A- Black, flat, dark copper head, quickly dissipates leaving no trace

S- Coffee. Not very complex. I can smell a bit of the maltiness and some booze, but predominantly coffee

T- Coffee. Different than most coffee forward stouts. This is not a sweet coffee, and it is not coffee+dark chocolate, it is just coffee with roasted malts up front. The coffee flavor did not work for me on this one. It left a bit of a metallic taste in the mouth, and there was no real complexity to it.

M- Dark, chewy, viscous, little carbonation, alcohol feel- exactly what you would expect and want from the style

O- I always take value into account when rating overall- and this beer is just not a good buy for the price. It is OK, definitely not a bad beer, but not one that I will be revisiting. I like Mikkeller a lot, but this is not one of their best offerings

3.55/5  rDev -17.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Great mouth feeling, silk-like palate, excels in this aspect. But excessive and monotonous coffee flavoring kills it, it is repetitive. Overrated but one of Mikkeller's best.

3.55/5  rDev -17.6%

Thanks to chefmikeanderson for the brew.

A - This looks absolutely perfect. Inky black, with a slow-forming head that rises as a creeping crimson froth but emerges as a taupe head about two fingers high. As the glass drains, there remains a series of alternate stripes on the glass that mimics a racoon tail. Probably the best looking Stout I've ever seen.

S - The nose is shockingly vacant; I wonder, is it me? I pass it to my girl and my best friend, but they too find a nose of scarteen, zilch, nada. As it airs out and warms up, a vague roastiness appears and an impression perhaps most akin to pencil shavings. I am taken aback at how plain and flavorless the nose is.

T - The taste is quite a bit nicer than the aroma, but it still falls quite short of world-class. There is some coffee in the flavor, but it is not tremendously prominent, nor tremendously tremendous. I also pick up on some sharp lumber-wood flavors, and some bitter-herbal hop. I am less and less impressed by the minute.

M - It is not the picture of viscosity, but it is tremendously creamy and has a very enhancing feel.

D - This is a nice beer, lacking in some aspects, outstanding in others.

3.55/5  rDev -17.6%

Pours jet black with a very small brown head that diminishes quickly. Great looking beer. Aroma is a lot of tasty coffee and some dark chocolate. The taste is definitely a coffee bomb. Lots of coffee and TONS of dark chocolate. I love some dark chocolate taste in my beer (even though I hate eating dark chocolate)...but this chocolate is a little too dark for me. This is kinda disappointing to me that the dark chocolate overwhelms the tasty coffee flavors. Mouthfeel is velvety and pleasant. Drinkability is not very high due to my personal dislike for extremely dark chocolate.

3.58/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

A: [4.50] The beer looks jet black in the glass. It pours out with 1/2 finger of dense mocha head. The head has lots of staying power. The bottle lists the ABV (10.9%). The cap has something like a date code - but it means nothing to me.

S: [3.25] Slightly boozy, dates, plums, cocoa and hints of coffee.

T: [3.50] Much sweeter than I expected. I get Sugary sweetness, hints of dark fruits, almost totally hidden chocolate and coffee notes. It is a bit boozy at the start.

M: [4.25] It is slightly dry, with low carbonation. The beer has a heavy body that coats the tongue.

O: [3.50] I expected this to be more coffee forward. Coffee was about 4th or 5th in line. I got predominately dark fruits on the nose and in the taste. The alcohol is present but not distracting. The mouthfeel is quite slick and nice. Overall I feel that this one doesn't deliver on what I expect from a stout with coffee.

3.59/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A - Thick, almost black brew. Zero head when poured straight from the bottle. Lots of alcohol legs.

S - Alcohol right up front followed by chocolate, charred malts, and then a hint of coffee.

T - Lots of coffee. No alcohol burn, which was surprising for the aroma. Tastes of rich, black coffee. Finishes with sweet chocolate on the back of the tongue.

M - Very heavy, no carbonation, and lots of coffee after taste.

O - Love the idea behind this beer. Very drinkable for %10, but a very heavy price at $10 for a 12 oz. bottle.

3.59/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.6/5  rDev -16.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.6/5  rDev -16.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Chilled bottle into a glass. Shared by mfielden, I believe. Thanks Mark!

A: Pours a pitch black body with a wonderfully dense beige head. Retention is very short, as I'd expect from a 10+% beer. Some trails of bubbles on top of the brew and a little lacing during a swig.

S: Really bitter, roasted coffee in the smell. So this is what that famous cat poop java smells like. Mmm! Molasses and chocolate give it a sweeter note to balance out that very sharp bitterness.

T: If you don't like coffee or poop, this may not be the beer for you. It's very sharp and stinging with a roasted coffee note. I have to say, it's very distinct and unlike any other coffee or coffee stout I've ever had. Molasses, dark chocolate, and a grainy component in the mid-taste that provide some complexity (though not as much as I'd expect from something this big) and balance to the beer. Quite tasty.

M: Smooth as silk; very velvety. I guessed this was an oatmeal stout from the mouthfeel alone: there's always something very smooth and creamy about them. This one is no exception.

D: I'm informed this runs $10, which is a little high, but tolerable for a 500mL bottle (especially taking into account the cost of the coffee). I admit I enjoyed it. I'd pay it again.

3.61/5  rDev -16.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

3.61/5  rDev -16.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.62/5  rDev -16%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.62/5  rDev -16%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Beer Geek Brunch Weasel from Mikkeller ApS