Beer Geek Brunch Weasel | Mikkeller ApS

Mikkeller ApS
Denmark | website

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Brewed at Nøgne Ø.

Imperial oatmeal stout brewed with coffee. Ingredients: Water, malts, hops, yeast and Vietnamese ca phe chon coffee.

Added by ClockworkOrange on 01-02-2009

Reviews: 823 | Ratings: 2,779
4.55/5  rDev +5.6%

Appearance - pours pure black with quite the voluminous head, 4 fingers and more. I had to take a premature swig o' suds to prevent a mess. Tasty! But more on that later. As the huge mocha head begins to settle into the 23-ounce Stella glass, I can't help but notice how huge the bubbles are and how quickly the head is fading. Large pocks and divots are on the surface and a haphazard network of medium banded lace adorn the glass. The last ounce contains the beginning of the sediment, what I can only guess is coffee bean remnant, or technically, weasel poo.

Aroma - dark rich roast. Delicious wafts of espresso, and none of the poo.

Taste - as foretold, the malts are rich, roasty, and delicious. The coffee imprint is of an earthy dark chocolate. It's dry, almost chalky, reminding me of cocoa powder. The dark roast and dark chocolate have an almost charring effect. The finish is more cocoa than coffee at first, but once it warms a bit a very rich coffee ending is remarkable.

Mouthfeel - a touch heavier than average, well carbonated but not out of control. Not crazy smooth but smooth enough to make a good impression.

Drinkability - awesome stuff, I owe a huge nod of thanks to bhalter6 and slater1313 for bringing me this gem to DLD09. This tastes like a sure winner now and will likely be a dandy with a few years on it.

4.55/5  rDev +5.6%

Presentation: Poured from the bottle into a Smuttynose tulip. Served at room temperature.

Appearance: Pitch black in color with a dark brown, one finger head. Decent retention. Also appears to be a little sediment in my glass. Leaves almost a coffee ground consistency around the glass.

Aroma: The civet coffee really provides a lot here. Fresh coffee beans and espresso notes are both notciable, but there is also an earthy tone to the coffee. The bitterness of the coffee is balanced well with sweetness from the oatmeal.

Taste: The civet coffee really brings this to a new level. Earthy tones of coffee bean paired with vanilla and caramel. Not too much char either. The sweetness from the oatmeal and char/earthy flavors of the coffee are brillant together.

Mouthfeel: Low carbonation, but very creamy. The sediment gets in the way a little.

Drinkability: The ABV is hidden great, but the coffee notes are really strong and should be sipped slowly. Took me a while to finish the bottle, but I enjoyed it a lot.

Overall, this is probably the best coffee stout I've ever had. The civet beans take it to a new level and add a depth I wasn't expecting. Definitely wirth trying.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

This beer pours pitch black and forms a large thick dark brown head with great retention and good lacing. It smells very much like a double shot mocha, lots of coffee and chocolate in this one! Some molasses, caramel and hint of charcoal as well. All I can say after my first sip is wow. This is a fantastic beer! Silky smooth mouth feel leaving your mouth slightly oily. Dark chocolate, roasted nuts, Smooth rich coffee, this beer has so much going on in the flavor. Slight bitterness at the end and finishes smooth with some lingering chocolate flavors. Without it being printed on the label I would have never guessed this beer is 10.9 ABV there is not even a hint of alcohol in the nose or flavor.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at Bavarian Lodge.

A- Thick darkness. 1 finger foam with light lacing. mocha head

S- heavy coffee, bitter chocolate, sweet dark malts

T- sweeter than I expected with perfect coffee taste. Get a decent amount of mint in the middle. Nice bitter chocolate and pine hops at the finish.

M- silky smooth and chewy. goes down very easily.

O- One of the better stouts I have ever had. Will seek this out at Binny's if I can find it. Hoping this stays on tap for a few days.

4.55/5  rDev +5.6%

A: thin dark tan head that dissipates rapidly on a jet black body with no light passing through.

S: rich, dark roast coffee, dark chocolate. The coffee has a very nice tangy character to it. aroma is nicely strong.

T: the coffee flavors are unlike others I have had. These are dry and espresso like but with a smokey, tangy and sweet note as well. Very unique.

M: medium body and moderate carbonation, smooth with a semi dry finish and coffee lingering deep into the aftertaste.

Overall: This is a very unique beer. For coffee lovers this is a must try beer. Very memorable

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Pours a solid black with a medium coffee and roast nose. Smooth coffee body with light roastiness and it hides the ABV really well compared to Vanilla Shake.

4.56/5  rDev +5.8%

Stout for lunch on a 60 degree day? Okay!

Appearance:
Pours an oily, slick black with 2 fingers of brown head. Held up to a sunny window, no light makes it all the way through the beer. This stuff is BLACK.

Smell:
Sweetness, like chocolate, booze, and subtle coffee. No strong guess as to which flavor will dominate the taste.

Taste:
Sweetness and oats hit me first, and then I get a blast of booze and chocolate. The chocolate is actually fairly dry feeling. Another flavor is in there too, which starts small and gradually takes over your entire mouth. What is it exactly? At first I didn't know, and then it hit me: This is ultra-rich coffee! Wow!

Mouthfeel:
Oily and thick, and mouth-coating. You could chew on this stuff like gum.

Overall:
I'm pretty sure I would drink this with breakfast. It would be delicious. The only thing stopping me is the 10.9% ABV. I'm a little concerned about having it for lunch, in fact. glad I'm not driving today. Other than that, this stout is fantastic. A coffee-lover's stout, and a stout-lover's breakfast.

4.56/5  rDev +5.8%

Ah, the brunch weasel. 1/2 of me wanted to make up some midnight breakfast to go with this, but I'll settle for just the beer. 22oz into pint glass. 10.9% ABV.

A- Awesome coloration, almost black but the light shows its just a really really dark brown. Head is 5-fingered and darker than most any head I've seen on a stout. Thick, slowly settling and some thick goopy lacing. A 1-finger pancake is just chillin' on top of my glass.

S- Coffee.. a fine roast. Robust, bold,lots of chocolate (sweet) and some vanilla.

T- Coffee! Deep and intense but smoother than I would have thought given the nose. No acidity, very rich. Chocolate, a bit of ash/smoke. I really like oatmeal stouts... they're potent and powerful but stay on track. There's a fruitiness and nuttiness that comes out in the finish as I'm on my 2nd glass. Hmm... hold the poop jokes please.

M- Moderate.. perhaps even a bit thin, but goes well with the velvet smoothness of the beer (flavor and body). A joy to drink. No sign of the ABV... except for my head's feeling a little warm as I continue to drink this. Thumbs-up.

D- High as it can be for the $$$. I *love* this beer. I'm not the biggest stout fan, but know a good one when I see one. This is awesome sauce, plain and simple. Blows the beer geek breakfast out of the water.

4.57/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Very fortunate to get this as an extra in a trade from Pisano! Thanks so much man!

A- Pours pitch black with a dark brown, 3-finger head of tight bubbles that retains well but leaves only a bit of lacing.

S- The aroma is full of dark chocolate, brown sugar, dark roast coffee, vanilla, oak. Oatmeal, and roasted grains are also prevalent. Very alluring aroma!

T- A sweet, malt-forward flavor initially. Chocolate, caramel, brown sugar, molasses, and vanilla are all prevalent. This gives way to bitter roasted malts, and some vinous/earthy hop character in the middle. It finishes smooth, oakey, and a little bit hot/boozy.

M- The mouthfeel is thick, creamy, and smooth. An excellent mouthfeel other than being a bit boozy.

O- Overall this is a kick-ass oatmeal stout! I can't believe this isn't a barrel aged beer! The only drawbacks are it is a little too boozy and left very little lacing, but an amazing beer none the less!

4.57/5  rDev +6%

Bottle shared thanks to TomDecapolis.

Poured a dark black color, with brown edges, and an averaged sized tan head. The head quickly disappeared. Aromas of coffee, roast, and some chocolate. Nice coffee. Tastes of coffee, roast, vanilla, chocolate, and some dark fruits. I love coffee beers and expect coffee in them, and this one had it. Alcohol content well hidden.

4.57/5  rDev +6%

500ml bottle. This is an amped up version of the original it appears.

It pours a pitch black, not quite motor oil thickness looking on the pour but pretty close. The head is big, crystalline and tan. It looks awesome. This beer has a simple but electrifying look to it, mainly thanks to the alluring head.

The smell is a bit of a curve ball, there are a lot more hops here than I would have expected. The coffee is there too, but a bit more subdued than I expected. It smells extremely fruity, I haven't personally had the weasel poop coffee on its own so maybe the fruitiness is coming form that along with the hops, but I;m not sure. There is also some chocolate and toffee scents.

The flavor is super rich and the mouthfeel is THICK. It is sweet but not quite overpoweringly so. The coffee flavor is a lot more prevalent in the taste, it also has a lot of hops. There is a certain spiciness to this brew that is also intriguing. It is very cinnamony. This is a very bitter one for a stout, both the roasted notes and the hops bring the bitterness in full force. it mellows out eventually and the sweetness dies down after a few sips and it becomes a roasty chocolatey beast. edit, maybe it was too cold when i first started (20 min in the freezer) but it jsut keeps getting better, the fruitiness is really starting to open up.

It is an interesting beer, this is one solid American-inspired Imperial stout.

4.57/5  rDev +6%

What a great find at Higgins in Portland! Very reasonably priced too.

A - Poured black as night with about 1 finger of head, which dissipated down to about a quarter of a ring. Carbonation was very low. Looks very viscous.

S/T - Where do I start? Lots of coffee up front with sort of a chocolatey flavor followed by cherry and raspberry flavor. I can tell Mikeller spared no expense to deliver some great coffee flavor, but I don't need to tell Mikeller how good it is, cause they know it is good coffee. And when the lady buys it, it's shit.

Getting back to the beer itself, ample amounts of chocolate with the slightest hint of bittering hops.

The only disappointing aspect of this beer is that the label states it is an oatmeal stout, which makes me question the amount used and the label. The head was minimal and there was little to no residual sweetness, which is fairly common for this ingredient. Otherwise very excellent.

M - Perhaps the richest beer I've had in bodiness, which is possibly from the cold pressed infusion of civet coffee. Definitely malt dominated and hides the alcohol well. However, as the beer warms up and as it finishes toward the end, there is more of a noticeable alcohol feel.

D - Definitely unique in its own right partially due to the civet coffee added to the beer. Very excellent, wish I could have more. Never thought I'd recommend a beer that came from an animal's rectum, but I'll gladly make an exception here.

4.57/5  rDev +6%

A: Poured from the 16.9 oz bottle into a Piraat tulip/snifter-type glass. Dark black body glug-glugs into the glass leaving a 1/2-inch chocolatey-brown head on top. Settles to leave good lace.

S: First impression - as I'm pouring it, actually - is the nose (it reminds me of Old Rasputin, though it's been awhile since I've had one of those): molasses, raisiny port, and licorice up front. Plenty of roasted - even slightly charred - barley malt and then coffee. Surprisingly the coffee is a bit muted in the nose, though it could be because I'm serving this a tad bit too cold.

T: First impression is of burnt, charred barley malt. Reminds me of strong coffee. But underneath is a bit of dark chocolate, molasses and even tobacco. Dark fruits and too. Noticeable alcohol heat down the gulley - no surprise for a 10.9% ABV beer. Finishes roasty with lingering char bitterness. At times the lingering bitterness tastes of dark chocolate.

M: Body is full in heft. Medium carbonation, but bubbles are subdued, creating a fairly smooth mouthfeel.

D: Thoroughly enjoying this. I'm having no problems drinking it pretty quickly, though the alcohol at the finish reminds you to take it easy. Given the price (I paid a hefty tag a Nejaime's in MA, I think around $16), I'm actually glad I can't get this one more easily, because if I could, I could see myself "treating" myself to bottles of this regularly.

4.57/5  rDev +6%

Loved Beer Geek Breakfast Batch 1, did not like Beer Geek Breakfast Batch 2. Could not wait to find out which way this would go.

A-Pours a root beer brown to black with no real head to speak of.

S-Rich, delicious aroma. Rich roasted coffee or espresso, sweet maltiness, caramel and dark chocolate.

T-Roasty and sweet. Again, dark coffee or espresso alternating with dark chocolate and caramel.

M-Rich, moderately heavy bodied, lightly viscous.

D-Excellent. I would drink these all night at home, with pleasure.

HV

From notes.

Thanks to drseamus for sharing quite a while ago now.

A: Nice dark beer. Almost jet black. Coffee colored head. The beer poured like motor oil from the bottle.

S: Out of this world. One of the best smelling stouts ever. MASSIVE coffee nose. Not just coffee but the best smelling coffee ever and I am not even a coffee drinker. Quite a bit of chocolate in there as well. A touch of roast. But this is all about the coffee.

T: Wow. Massive coffee in the flavor as well. More chocolate that in the nose. As balanced as a beer can be with the super intense flavors here.

M: Super smooth. A little bit creamy but not as thick as you would think it would be. Which is a good thing and a bad thing. If anything a little bit more richness in the body would not hurt. That being said it was velvetty in my mouth.

D: Wow. Beer geek breakfast was a great beer and this took it to the next level. The price is high but it is a really nice treat every once in a while.

4.58/5  rDev +6.3%

Poured into a Stone IRS Tulip.

A: Pitch black with a very persistent dark brown head. Lots of lacing on the tulip. No light comes through this one at all. Beautiful.

S: Wonderful dark chocolate and coffee aromas. It carries a sweetness and a touch of alcohol in the nose.

T: The coffee is front and center. The bitterness rolls across my tongue and lingers in the aftertaste. The 10% is very noticeable, but it fits in with the dark flavors very well.

M: As thick as one would expect. Very heavy and viscous. Excellent.

D: This beer is a homerun. Highly recommended.

4.58/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

10 oz pour on tap at Bodega Bar in LAX

A: Jet black with little to no head, decent little carbonation though

S: Roasted malt, coffee, coco, with a nice alcohol on the end

T: similar to smell, with tons of coffee super rich with roasted malts.

F: smooth and thick with a long finish

O: very good beer and Im not a coffee drinker but this stuff could convert me.

4.58/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Look: Black, no visibility through this beer, the head was very small and dissipated within minutes. 4
Smell: Lots of oats, hints of chocolate, a ton of coffee, some malts, no alcohol. 4.25
Taste: Lots of coffee, but it is not overpowering like a victory, the coffee leads into a thick chocolate flavor, and lots of oats, then finishes with a nice subtle coffee after taste, with hints of burnt malt. 4.75
Feel: damn this is a thick one, I couldn't believe how thick, creamy and awesome this was, one of the best feels no doubt. 5
Overall: outstanding, a must try, and one I will definitely be getting again. 4.75

4.58/5  rDev +6.3%

The beer was lightly chilled and served in a snifter.

Appearance: The beers body pours a straight black. No ruby opaqueness noted to this inky black beer. The head is the color of lightly creamed coffee. The head starts out about 2 fingers high and resolves to a light pillow on the top of my glass. Thick lacing remains behind on my glass marking the beers passage from my glass.

Smell: I really dig the smokeyness of the beers intial smell. Roasted and toasted grain breadyness greats my nose. The coffee aroma is very smooth and doesnt seem to be overly roasted. Brown sugar, molasses, vanilla and chocolate suport the coffee aromas. No char aromas noted in the aroma. A suporting fruityness of berries, raisins, a pleasing citrus jolt of grapefruit raises its head up. A very nice smelling beer.

Taste: Holy smokes! The beer leads with and ends with smoked flavor. The beers roasted coffee flavors are well incorporated in the beer. Its not a coffee gob smack but man is it well done. In addition to coffee the beer delivers the flavors of caramel, vanilla, molasses, bitter sweat cocoa, anise, mixed berries. Very nice!

Mouthfeel / Drinkability: The mouthfeel of the beer is super smooth. The beers body is medium low carbonation. The flavors are long lasting. This beer is a fabulous drinker. I could have easily finished two bottles. The alcohol wasnt present in flavor or in the mouthfeel. Well played!

4.58/5  rDev +6.3%

Poured from pint bottle into my Deschutes tulip glass...

A - This one pours pretty much black, with a 1 finger dark chocolate head that quickly disipates.

S - Smells of rich chocolate and coffee. Very coffee forward, with hints of oatmeal in the background.

T/M - Wow, I thought the coffee was forward in the smell! It's more prevolent in the taste. Stick to your tongue coffee, with hints of tabacco and oatmeal. Great sticky mouthfeel, with low but good carbonation.

O - One of the best coffee stouts I've ever had. No alcohol heat at all, pretty viscous, and great aftertaste. Chalk this one up as another winner from Mikkeller!

4.58/5  rDev +6.3%

A - Pours oily and black into my snifter with about half a finger of tan head after an aggressive pour, retention is really excellent and has sticky lacing.

S - Deep roasted malts and sweet chocolate notes, even though it's not barrel aged I get rum and vanilla and raisin notes on a big level. Lots of bittersweet espresso/coffee notes and just a touch of earthy hops as well.

T - This absolutely tastes amazing. Deep roasted malts, bittersweet chocolate and coffee on a big level, sweet vanilla and caramel, earthy hops, molasses, dark fruit - raisins and plums.

M - Perfectly balanced carbonation and full body, smooth, creamy and just slightly dry.

O - Overall this beer is worth every cent! It is an exceptional imperial stout that I will most certainly purchase and share with others in the very near future.

4.58/5  rDev +6.3%

500 ml bottle poured into a snifter.

A: Pours black as night with a thick tan head that holds its own nicely. Lacing is sticky and coats the sides of the glass.

S: A little off when first poured. All alcohol at first, but as the beer warms, the coffee really stands out. Other aromas include chocolate, a hint of vanilla, and toasted bread.

T: Coffee is dominant, with caramel, chocolate, and just a touch of vanilla. Dark fruits and a touch of walnut thrive in the middle, and the beer finishes with a dry, slightly bitter tone.

Notes: Full-bodied, viscous, and extremely complex, Mikkeller may have reached their apex with this brew. At 10.5% ABV, it's very easy to drink, and tasty as all Hell. This stuff is awesome, and if I happen to come across more I will definitely be stocking up. Perhaps my new favorite stout brewed with coffee.

4.58/5  rDev +6.3%

From a 22 ounce bottle with no freshness date. Poured into a Duvel tulip glass.

A: Pitch black thick body with a thin brown thick creamy head which dissipates quickly, but a thick ring remains with some coating on the top.

S: Great smell of roasted coffee and slight dark chocolate hints and a real earthy overall smell to it. This would be perfect if it were just a tad stronger.

T: This tastes really good. slight dark chocolate hints throughout with a bitter dark chocolate syrup finish. The coffee flavor comes up with a very distinct roasty bitterness that I've never tasted before, this definitely isn't your average store bought coffee. There's this earthy taste throughout that matches the smell, definitely from the coffee used and it's very distinct, but pleasing. This is definitely very mellow though throughout.

M: Not as thick as I was expecting but definitely full-bodied, light carbonation.

O: This is a very drinkable beer with a distinct flavor and scent. I like this a lot and recommend it to any stout drinker. I'm giving this high marks for a reason.

4.58/5  rDev +6.3%

Poured from a 16.9 oz. bottle into my Duvel tulip. Received from SpeedwayJim, thanks Jim!

a - Pours a dark brown with one finger of brown head. Light carbonation evident and light lacing. Looks great.

s - Smells of roasted malts, sweet coffee and chocolate, and a decent amount of vanilla. Very enjoyable.

t - Taste is rich chocolate up front, followed by a light coffee taste. Also some roasted and caramel malts.

m - Medium body and low carbonation, very smooth and creamy. Can't believe this is 10.9%, as I don't taste the alcohol at all.

d - I thought this was an amazing stout. It looked amazing, felt amazing, and had a great coffee and chocolate taste. I actually got more chocolate than coffee in the taste, but liked it that way. Very easy to drink for over 10% ABV. Would love to have again.

4.58/5  rDev +6.3%

Saw this on the menu at Brasserie V and had to get one. Slightly expensive at $13 a glass, but civet coffee is expensive. Black body. Huge chocolate coffee aroma. Big roasted coffee taste. Lots of chocolate flavor. The coffee taste is really good but different. It’s a very earthy coffee.

Beer Geek Brunch Weasel from Mikkeller ApS