Beer Geek Brunch Weasel | Mikkeller ApS

Denmark
mikkeller.dk

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Brewed at Nøgne Ø.

Imperial oatmeal stout brewed with coffee. Ingredients: Water, malts, hops, yeast and Vietnamese ca phe chon coffee.

Added by ClockworkOrange on 01-02-2009

Reviews: 832 | Ratings: 2,822
4.68/5  rDev +8.6%

This was a very, very big beer indeed. I was very excited to try this one from the first moment I heard it was coming out. Served at cellar temp and poured into a pint glass, this one was consumed on 03/05/2009.

The pour was damn near perfect. Rich, dark black in color with a huge tan head that came up over the top and settled down slowly and even at its lowest it was still a good half inch above the black gold beneath it. Rich roasted coffee and chocolate dominated the aroma. Very big with lots of sweet hints rolled in to it. This one meant business. Rich, feull bodied feel with a perfect mix up thickness and carbonation. Huge flavor, nice roasted coffee and sweet chocolate notes layered on top of rich bourbon like alcohol. A huge and very delicous beer that I am thrilled to be enjoying..

4.7/5  rDev +9%

I picked this up at Al's of Hampden -shared with carlos and tenderbranson69. Enjoyed from a tulip chilled.

The color is the deepest black, like used motor oil, opaque clarity and thick creamy tan head. The lace sticks well and retention is good with very fine bead. The aroma is unique to me it has all the things you expect and more. There is a sweet odor which I would compare to floral attributes of vanilla and earthy notes of roasted coffee with some slight cocoa elements and caramel from the malt. The malt is mild with a more pronounced coffee odor than most imperial stouts let alone stouts with coffee in general. I love the oatmeal which gives a sweet nutty odor to the roasted elements and slight cocoa aroma. This is a luxurious feeling roasted yet well integrated coffee feel, supple and smooth yet there is a moderate amount of spice and sweetness is not overdone.

The taste is delicious in that it carries a full on coffee and mocha taste without punishing you with coffee acidity or too much hops to clutter up the oatmeal stouts silky flavors. There is a mild roasted and caramel malt sweetness in the background but I love how fresh the coffee gives a very fresh and almost spiced flavor with some stone fruit tinges for good measure. I will say I loved this as much if not more than the original Beer Geek Breakfast which is saying a lot considering it is one of my favorite of this style. I appreciate the subtleties that Mikkeller is able to bring out in this beer, not many come close to the complexity and richness. If I had to describe it I would say a coffee stout is like eating a hershey bar, but Brunch Weasel is like eating the finest chocolate truffles. I recommend this to anyone. The only downside was the import price which you can't really avoid unless they start brewing in the United States.

4.29/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours like well used motor oil, thick & black with a pinky of caramel colored head. Alright lacing & head retention, nice viscious look to this...

S: Coffee & a bit of vanilla, a bit of raw boozeyness once warm

T: Coffee, roastyness, dark chocolate & caramel up front. More caramel, & roastyness once warm, coffee fades a bit & a faint booze bite presents itself. Finishes dry, roasty, with dark chocolate & caramel

MF: Thick, chewy, smooth, some warming notes

Drinks easy, very well put together, the only drawback on this: Price. I can do almost as good for the money & end up with way more beer in most coffee beers of this ilk. Glad I got to try it though

4.35/5  rDev +0.9%

Review from notes 2/5/11. Thanks to THECPJ for sharing.

A: Pours a very deep, dark black. A nice two finger tan head forms, very thick. Great retention and very nice lacing.

S: A lot going on, some dark chocolate, mocha, some dark fruit (raisins and figs), and a touch of coffee.

T: A nice rich dark chocolate flavor, the mocha hits you near the end. The dark fruits are present, but are very light.

T: chocolate, coffee, there was a strange bacon flavor perhaps that can be attributed to the smokiness, mocha flavors really come through at the backend. There is some vanilla mixed in and a little bit of maple.

M/D: Medium bodied with a silky mouthfeel. Has a very nice sweet dry finish. There is a nice smokiness as well. Not a lot of coffee, which is fine with me.

4.6/5  rDev +6.7%

Bottle poured into my Stone RIS glass. Pours black with nice tan head. Nice head retention and moderate lacing for 10% stout.

Aroma is sweet roasty malts with some coffee and chocolate. Taste is roasted malts with coffee and dark chocolate. A nice amount of bitterness as well. The fact that it is 10% is very well hidden and drinks pretty easily.

I enjoyed this beer a lot. Excellent Imperial stout. The addition of the oatmeal and coffee was very good. I would gladly purchase this again.

4.23/5  rDev -1.9%

This one comes courtesy of imperialking who is the man when it comes to knocking beers off of my wants list.

A: The pour is black with a thin tan head on top which has some very nice retention and lacing.

S: The nose is definitely heavy on the coffee with plenty of roasted malt as well.

T: I was surprised that the flavor had the level of depth that it did. Certainly lots of coffee and roasted malt, but a nice amount of chocolate with a touch of smokiness.

M: The body is medium with a slightly tingly carbonation which I wasn't expecting.

D: Probably the best Mikkeller beer I've had to date. Great coffee flavor and aroma and a solid all around beer.

4.08/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Impressive thick and dense dark tan head. Lots of ring lace. Near black in color. No light passes through.

Coffee and cream aroma.

Very dark flavors of black patent, almost like espresso. Lighter body than I expected. Lots of chewy burnt malts--subtle dark molasses sweetness in the background. The aftertaste is quite bitter.

4.02/5  rDev -6.7%

Decided to pull this one out of the cellar after two years to see how it is holding up.

A - Pours jet black with a small film of tan head, dissipating down to a light film, leaving no lace at all down the glass.

S - Smells of rich coffee, chocolate, dark roasted malt, charred wood and some warm alcohol.

T - Starts off with a ton of slightly bitter dark roasted coffee slowly giving way to hints of chocolate, molasses, dark roasted malt and some charred wood. The booze only grows as it sits in the glass. Finish is a mix of light sweetness and warm booze, lingering on the pallet for some time.

M - Heavy body and flavor with moderate carbonation. Thick, slightly boozy feel. Kinda tastes like chocolate pudding.

O - I rather enjoyed this one, minus all the sludge at the bottom of the bottle. It had quite a bit of flavor and was fairly easy to drink, it did get a little boozy as it warmed up.

4.23/5  rDev -1.9%

Served in a Dogfish Head snifter.

Thanks to brundo4 for this beast!
I'm not entirely sure why, but those damn Scandinavians can brew some of the darkest beers I have ever seen. This creature stands nicely among them, no light able to either penetrate its seemingly endless tracts or reflect from its B-2 surface. You ever look at the back of your eyelids in the dark and see nothing but an ever-expanding wasteland of nothingness? I know I have, and the experience is eerily similar to gazing into this brew's hypnotizing (and clearly damned) soul. The luscious inch-plus of foamy burnt siena (I miss using crayons...) on top just makes me feel even closer to this glass. I wanna make my move, but I don't want to come on too strong. (You only get one shot at a looker like this.) Speaking of not coming on too strong, the coffee smells emanate greatly from the surface, combining with some minor amount of chocolate, but don't o'erwhelm. I've gotta move in and sip on this beauty right now! Ahh, it's good to know that my nose doesn't lie to me as much as I have suspected in the past: The coffee and chocolate (though it's closer to cocoa now) make a triumphant parade down the tongue, thickly, stickily, and tastily. Not much else is there, though I think a small pine sapling is trying its best to find some sunlight in the surrounding pitch. It doesn't matter, though, as the flavors' simplicity weave into the double-helix of greatness DNA. Something like that. Bottom line: very tasty. Everything comes together to create a dangerously drinkable demon, sitting atop our doorways' busts of Athena, mocking us with its stoic consistency until we finally give way and lose our minds, succumbing to our darkest, innermost madnesses. Enjoy!

4.58/5  rDev +6.3%

Poured from a 16.9 oz. bottle into my Duvel tulip. Received from SpeedwayJim, thanks Jim!

a - Pours a dark brown with one finger of brown head. Light carbonation evident and light lacing. Looks great.

s - Smells of roasted malts, sweet coffee and chocolate, and a decent amount of vanilla. Very enjoyable.

t - Taste is rich chocolate up front, followed by a light coffee taste. Also some roasted and caramel malts.

m - Medium body and low carbonation, very smooth and creamy. Can't believe this is 10.9%, as I don't taste the alcohol at all.

d - I thought this was an amazing stout. It looked amazing, felt amazing, and had a great coffee and chocolate taste. I actually got more chocolate than coffee in the taste, but liked it that way. Very easy to drink for over 10% ABV. Would love to have again.

4.85/5  rDev +12.5%

A: Deep black, with a thick beige crema head. Soda pop effervescence.

S: Wonderful scents of gourmet coffee and roasted malts.

T: World class. This is one of my favorite beers of all time. I have had this beer several times now, and it's blown me away every time. It's slightly sweet, and the coffee is superb (no matter where it came from). The delicious oatmeal gives the beer a crispness that makes it even tastier and more drinkable. This is a desert island beer for me.

M: Perfect carbonation and buttery smooth.

D: Truly fantastic beer. I'd drink this anytime.

I have heard tales of the civet coffee, I looked up pricing and it can go for as high as 100 dollars a cup or 1,000 dollars a pound. God knows what Mikeller spent to produce this beer. Pours a beautiful pitch black color with rising toffee tan head, fine lacing left behind beautiful beer to look and salivate about. Aroma has deep alluring espresso creamed coffee, dark chocolate, and a blast of dark roasted malts. Flavors encompass the palate, it takes off with nearly burnt dark roasted malts, expressive rich coffee, acid from the coffee beans livens up the palate beautifully, most exotic beer I've ever tasted nearly 9 bucks for 11 odd ounces of this stuff definitely worth the price tag. The dark roasted malts and the creamy richness in each sip with a strong dark coffee flavor is marvelous. Mouthfeel is rich inviting, and at times a bit abrasive but all in all the dark chocolate coffee aspects meld into beauty into a full bodied creamy stout that must be experienced no alcohol burn on the palate for me this legendary beer now I know why their beers carry the hype that they have. Overall a hell of an experience when it comes to beer the type of beer that makes you stop and realize everything that you have been passionate about is coming to a pinnacle. Some folks say that beer is beer, how short sighted is that one there are creations like this.

4.03/5  rDev -6.5%

500 mL bottle split into two glasses.

Appearance - Pours a deep brown, almost black, with a one-finger brown head. Looks rich and viscous.

Smell - Aroma of roasted malts and rich chocolate. Not so much coffee, really, which surprised me.

Taste - The taste is very chocolatey as well, but with a prevalent coffee taste. The coffee isn't overwhelming at all. It allows the stout flavors to come through. There is a lingering bitterness that prevents the sweetness from becoming cloying.

Mouthfeel - Great consistency. Medium carbonation. Par for the style. The mouthfeel is thick enough to feel like an imperial stout, but not so much that I couldn't put it away like nothing.

Overall - Great imperial stout. I don't think many people would notice what kind of coffee it is, so I must admit that it's gimmicky. But I'm drinking beer, not coffee, and the beer was good so I'm happy.

4.4/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Review from notes taken on 6/18/10. I shared this bottle along with the normal beer geek breakfast at a small sampling at my place. The two other participants were explained the difference between the beers and they eagerly partook. Both of them sipped this brew and absolutely hated it. I enjoyed it enough that I was both surprised and excited to drink their share. Onward with my review.

Pours a super dark brown to black color that for the most part is, well...black. The head receeds fast but initially appeared as a very dark brown color. All that remains is a ring around the inside perimeter of the glass.

The nose of this brew has an aroma that is very earthy and just different. The scent of hops, burnt grains and coffee are the usual and expected players here but something quite strange seems different...weird...and uninvited to the party coming across well just different and earthy with a bit of a mineral-like almost metallic character.

The taste of this brew is bitter upfront like a dark roasted espresso blended with hops. There is a lasting flavor of burnt grains and alcohol with a citrus pop of hops a little piney tasting. The big alcohol presence brings all of the flavor together.

Medium to heavy bodied brew with a moderate amount of carbonation. Quite smooth in the feel despite the bold bitterness and alcohol punch. It was an enjoyable time to share some with 2 other people, to drink an entire bottle by myself might not be done easily.

A second serving produces a creamy head with retension better than the initially cold pour. As it warms up beyond ideal temperatures more chocolate character comes out. Also, the nose reminds me of the taste you get in your mouth if you put metal in it...literally I mean it. It sounds stupid but you know you have done it. The citrus zing of the hops caught me off guard compared to all the other flavors going on in this brew. This is a big bold, in your face beer. All in all I feel this is a good, worthwhile brew to try and the most scatter-brained I have ever thought/wrote in a review. This might be a good one to hold on to for awhile till the alcohol mellows out but at the same time you need to try one ASAP before the unique coffee flavor trails off.

4.09/5  rDev -5.1%

Bottle from Ebenezer's
Thick black liquid with a rich creamy mocha head that lasts forever. Huge chocolate and coffee aroma with plenty of brown sugary sweetness to pull this desert beer together. Very rich, nice brew!

4.05/5  rDev -6%

Pours a deep, dark brownish black. There's a 1/4" of head with great retention. Licorice and deep, dark, coffee, roasted malts that dominate the nose. Taste is thick, malty, roasted, and licorice. Viscous, oily, deep; all around dark, deep, rich.

This beer is rich and smooth but a little thick and warm. Overall, a decent beer. Thick, viscous, potent, complex...AWESOME!

4.7/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

A - Pitch black body with a milk-chocolate head.

S - Sweet milk, light coffee. Touch of cedar.

T - Beveled edges of milk, booze, porridge, coffee, cream. Cedar hop character plays in and out of the background. Coffee bitters in the finish.

M - Stupidly smooth. The flavors are remarkably well integrated. Creamy body.

D - Wonderfully complex. It's a slow drinking beer but you'll drink it as long as it's around. Hides the 11% ABV incredibly well.

4.37/5  rDev +1.4%

22 oz. bottle, poured into a tulip glass:

Pours very dark brown - almost black - with a rich brown head that thins and stays for quite some time before becoming a wispy patch, with trailing lace sliding down the glass.

The smell is of rich aromatic coffee, chocolate, caramel/toffee, roasty notes and a light splash of aloohol.

The smell is of rich coffee with rich dark chocolate - reminscent of having a coffee with chocolate cake. Dark and slightly sourish fruity and some earthy notes balance out the rich dark notes. Roasty notes balance out the sweetness in the finish.

It has a creamy/velvety full body.

As rich and boozy as it is, it is certainly easy to drink, as it has a nice malty smoothness, and a great dark character that stops before becoming too sweet. A lovely treat!

4.43/5  rDev +2.8%

Poured from the bottle into a snifter.

Pours a light brown cocoa colored head, very foamy looking. Sits on a dark dark brown body with perhaps some nice red hues. Really nice looking, head is all uniform with lots of big lacing.

Bouquet is an earthy dry roasted coffee. Very nice slight hint of soil. Dry roasted bean coffee is very predominant. Hint of carbonation possibly cola sweetness smelling too. No sense of chocolate for me.

Taste is pure roasted coffee goodness. Sour coffee finishing like a good solid espresso giving way to lime. The thing that gets me the most is the body on this thing. Just perfect mouthfeel wonderful body and hints of malt milkshake texture. That thickness which isn't syrupy at all comes off as creamy, and with coffee tastes like this it's a match made in heaven. Unfortunately I don't get much chocolate "taste" off this as some people might, but I don't care.

Overall I'd have this again no problem, it's great and really feels like an excellent espresso beer.

Beer Geek Brunch...Weasel. 10.9% abv.

This Imperial Oatmeal Stout is brewed with one of the world's most expensive coffees, made from the droppings of weasel-like civet cats. The fussy Southeast Asian animals only eat the best and ripest coffee berries. Enzymes in their digestive system help to break down the bean. Workers collect the bean-containing droppings for Civet or Weasel Coffee. The exceedingly rare Civet Coffee has a strong taste and an even stronger aroma.

Brewed and bottled by Mikkeller at Nogne-O, Grimstad, Norway.

Let's forego trepidation and reservation and crack that crown...

Thoroughly black, sizable head, rich and toasty brown. Nice looking stout.

Aroma: right on the money. Lovely, lovely stuff. Soft, but roasty and toasty, a trifle burnt, but overall smooth. Every inch and every way, what a good, bold oatmeal stout should be...wait, "bold" oatmeal stout?

Taste: huh. Interesting. Not too sweet, not bitter in any inordinate degree, just balanced enough. There's rich malt, but not too thick, there's some bitterness, some sweet malt, but ....dang, balanced is the word I keep coming back to...weird. Tasty cocoa flavors come through, yummy coffee notes...very strong and undeniable flavor, long finish, full flavor. But there is absolutely nothing unusual, or to be true, interesting about this one. We can't taste the civet cat, nor his droppings. It's only disgusting if we dwell on it. You could have gotten a good imperial oatmeal stout, without scooping the pooping. Sorry. I'm just saying. Really, no one wanted this to taste like poo. But, on the other hand, it doesn't deliver anything extra. There's a grit, there's a grab, there's something, ....

I did it, and I won't spend the extra coin to do it again. Mark this in the "did it" slot, and I will grab another oatmeal stout, imperial or not, that did arise out of a weasel's back slot.

4.43/5  rDev +2.8%

Picked up one of these from West Lakeview Liquors. Served in my Surly pint glass.

A - Wow! This is the most impressive-looking stout I've tried since Homewood Reserve. Four fingers of mocha foam with incredible retention and lacing. Black, with the slightest hint of brown at the edges of the glass.

S - Hazelnut, bitter coffee, burnt malts, smoke, dark fruits, molasses, leather. Huge smell - I can smell this from a foot away from the glass. Really terrific and interesting combination.

T - Bitter roast coffee with cream, smokiness, nuts, dark fruits, baker's chocolate. This has substantially greater depth than most coffee infused beers that I've tried. The aftertaste is surprisingly mild and not palate destroying.

M - Full-bodied, creamy, good moderate carbonation, leaves a a sticky feeling afterward. It's what I'd expect from a good imperial stout.

D - High ABV, coffee flavor, and intensity make this beer a one and out. 500ml was the perfect amount for two people, although I could easily have had this by myself.

I've generally been disappointed with Mikkeller - particularly Beer Geek Breakfast and Black Hole - but this is a real winner. Highly recommended for all lovers of coffee stouts.

4.49/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a bottle into a snifter, the beer is jet black and pours thick, with a clingy, creamy, dark tan head that slowly settles out across the top of the beer. Aromas of fresh ground roasted coffee, with a pretty solid smack of smoke, tobacco, charred wood, licorice, and a hint of booze. Flavors are heavy dark roast coffee forward, with a solid backbone of rich bittersweet chocolate. Highlights of campfire smoke and cigar tobacco are prominent, with lesser accents of licorice, cream, and booze heat darting in and out. Insanely smooth and velvety in mouth, with a coating effect throughout your mouth. Impressive. The aftertaste has a more subtle blend, compared to the palate, of coffee and chocolate, with the highlights slowly fading away. Smooth, thick, velvety finish, with a subtle coffee linger. Very tasty, very well crafted beer. Bravo!

4.3/5  rDev -0.2%

05/28/09- Generously shared with BA member Talisker.

Presentation- 16.9oz bottle poured into a Duvel tulip. No dating info on the bottle.

Appearance- Very black in color. Looks like new motor oil as it is poured from the bottle. About a 1/2 inch dirty head with some light watery spots (sometimes chunky) left in the glass. Almost look like tiny coagulated protien chunks.

Smell- Nice malty aroma with a good amount of espesso and a tiny hoppy note. Could be a bit more outgoing.

Taste- Damn that last beer (extreme hop bomb)..ruined my pallete. Anyway, this one has a nice chocolate mid range malty flavor as the base with very nice roasted coffee notes. Not sure if it's hops I taste in this beer or still remaining from the last. At any rate...it's quite nice.

Mouthfeel- Carbonation is middle of the pack, maybe a slight lower. Not really viscous, but thick enough to hold it together. Kinda slick and dry at times. All I get is hops in the aftertaste, but I think that is from the last beer.

Drinkability- I would like to try this beer again sometime in the future, just so I can see if it's even better than actually was. But, at a $17.99 price tag...not so sure. Just like my friend Ethan said...and I quote "They do a fantastic job of making American craft beers, but when we have handfulls of actually great American craft brewers right in our own backyard, what's the point of dropping $20 when you can spend $4 on a bottle of Hop Stupid?"

3.93/5  rDev -8.8%

The secret ingredient is poop. This is a coffee / imperial stout that is made with coffee that has passed through the digestive system of a small mammal (its why its called weasel).

Beer is dark black and forms a thick brown head that falls away quickly and leaves some lacing on the glass. Carbonation is moderate to low. Looks like a stout.

Aroma is slightly boozy, lots of coffee. Some sour notes. Its not that appealing a smell sorry to say. Its really strong, the coffee is most forward so I'll forgive it some of subtle flavors.

High roast, lots of coffee, medium body, lots of backend bitterness from the coffee. This beer is really really strong. Drinkability suffers from strength. Overall a good coffee stout, definitely get the coffee flavors coming through for sure. Wow, second taste is just as strong, bitterness builds. If you love coffee and dark beers, this is for you, otherwise avoid. Nice.

4.57/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Very fortunate to get this as an extra in a trade from Pisano! Thanks so much man!

A- Pours pitch black with a dark brown, 3-finger head of tight bubbles that retains well but leaves only a bit of lacing.

S- The aroma is full of dark chocolate, brown sugar, dark roast coffee, vanilla, oak. Oatmeal, and roasted grains are also prevalent. Very alluring aroma!

T- A sweet, malt-forward flavor initially. Chocolate, caramel, brown sugar, molasses, and vanilla are all prevalent. This gives way to bitter roasted malts, and some vinous/earthy hop character in the middle. It finishes smooth, oakey, and a little bit hot/boozy.

M- The mouthfeel is thick, creamy, and smooth. An excellent mouthfeel other than being a bit boozy.

O- Overall this is a kick-ass oatmeal stout! I can't believe this isn't a barrel aged beer! The only drawbacks are it is a little too boozy and left very little lacing, but an amazing beer none the less!

Beer Geek Brunch Weasel from Mikkeller ApS