Beer Geek Brunch Weasel | Mikkeller ApS

Denmark
mikkeller.dk

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Brewed at Nøgne Ø.

Imperial oatmeal stout brewed with coffee. Ingredients: Water, malts, hops, yeast and Vietnamese ca phe chon coffee.

Added by ClockworkOrange on 01-02-2009

Reviews: 828 | Ratings: 2,803
4.51/5  rDev +4.6%

Picked up from John at Granite Liquors in Weymouth. (dbexpert). Pours a coffee black with a bright white head that turns brown as it dissipates. Smells vaguely of coffee infused with mocha flavors. Doesn't just taste like coffee, it tastes like great coffee. Sweet raspberry in the aftertaste. You could do the entire bottle in a sitting, but it's a great beer to share, as I think many people should get to enjoy this one.

3.53/5  rDev -18.1%

I don't buy too many imported beers and tend to favor American micro brews, but I love coffee beers way too much to ever pass this up!

A - Black! very dark! thin roasted head that evenly floats on top. Lacing wants to cling tightly to the glass. Gorgeous!

S - cold press coffee with a little spice and some chocolate. Just enough sweetness that it's not too roasted/dry smelling and it's in no way hidden. A bit boozy.

T - Little bit like a milk stout. Big time Imperial Stout. Still boozy. Not as much coffee as I'd hope.

M - creamy, medium-heavy mouthfeel. bit of alcohol blows off on your breath. Heat sits on your tongue.

o -It's a bit more alcohol hot than I'd prefer, but I bet it would become awesome with some age. I still feel like I missed out on some coffee characteristics. drink this one warmer than colder. Not bad at all, but where's the rest of the coffee?

did I get the same beer everyone else here reviewed? I feel ripped off.

4.28/5  rDev -0.7%

A- Very similar pour to the others I've had in this series. Tar black body, rich thick super dark brown head. Retention is a little better in this one and perhaps the lacing as well, which is impressive given the abv is higher. No cap here though.

S- I wish I could of did this one side by side with it's smaller sister because it sure reminds me of it. Maybe even more chocolate on the nose, definitely picking up some alcohol. Perhaps the coffee notes are more astringent, same underlying sweetness.

T- Oh yeah, that's good! Much bigger flavors in the weasel. More pronounced coffee taste right from the hop, rich malt, dark bitter chocolate, molasses and some dark fruit. The coffee hangs around in the mouth forever.

M - Body feels much fuller with that same creamy velvety feel. This dries the mouth, partially from the alcohol and I think the coffee bitterness has a role in this as well or gives of that impression at least.

O- Alcohol is masked very well, drink this one slowly to really get everything it has to offer. As I poured the last eighth of the bottle some jelly like sludge starts plopping in my glass, given the nature of the coffee beans this was a little more than off putting. I couldn't finish the last little bit. Oh well, the majority of this was killer!!

4.53/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Mikkeller is not easy to come by in the States, but the Danish seem to know what they are doing. I tried this beer in the summer of 2015 along with BOMB! Although not the most fitting for a hot summer day in Chicago, Beer Geek Brunch Weasel is an animal of its own. Extremely dark, rich, and overpowering. Keep a watch for this beer

3.29/5  rDev -23.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Tulip glass from bottle, purchased early 2014

A: Pitch black, thin tan head, lacing on glass

S: Unsweetened chocolate, faint coffee and vanilla, some dark fruit

T: Flavors of bitter chocolate, coffee, and raisins; gets sweeter on the finish.

M: Fairly thin, smooth but not creamy.

O: A very tasty stout, complex, more bitter than sweet. I prefer a little sweeter and creamier but definitely worth drinking.

4.63/5  rDev +7.4%

WOW! Picked up in Cincinnati at my favorite beer store this beer has had me wondering for quite some time. After reading the back of the bottle I'm not sure I'm ready for a beer this extreme, "...made from the droppings of weasel-like civet cats." I'm legitimately scared right now.

Poured into a snifter the jet black liquid quickly frothes to a dark tan head that fades back into the beer. So far so good.

The aroma of this beer does not immediately make me think civet cat dung so that's a good thing. The aroma is of very ripe tropical fruit, iced coffe with heavy cream and caramelized brown sugar, and a touch of coconut.

The first taste is explosive with espresso bitterness, light alcohol burn, nice aciditiy, and a twang that is difficult to place.

Mouthfeel is very round, full, and perfect for a coffee stout. Many times you try a coffee stout only to find you have a very thin beer (re: FBS). This stout has the perfect amount of coffee, alcohol bite/warmth, along with mouthfeel.

Drinkability is difficult to nail down. Personally I would never drink more than 1 of these nor could I. I will say that this 1 bottle will go down smoothly. I would say that coffee stouts in general are not to be sessioned therefore I will call this particular coffee stout highly drinkable.

4.3/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Consumed at Armsby Abbey in Worcester, MA yesterday. Didn't have the Breakfast Stout anymore so I got this.

A- Pours a solid black body with a good 2-finger chocolate colored head that lasted for a long time. Though it looked pretty carbonated, the head did not fizz away.

S- Burnt chocolate, roasted malts, and a brewing coffee aroma. A little sharp acidicness to it, but not enough to turn me off.

T- The acidic flavor returns, but just enough for a quick bite at the palate, then it's gone. The dark chocolate and burnt coffee/ espresso flavors really stand out.

MF- Not quite full bodied, but as close as you can come without actually being full bodied. I think the carbonation just keeps it lighter on the palate.

4.62/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 500ml bottle into a Dogfish Head signature glass.

Appearance: From edge to edge, this is an extremely dark, light-absorbing brew. It is immensely murky, and there is a noticeable absence of highlights throughout the glass. The beer is crowned by a relatively thin and bubbly head which more less dies down quickly to form a thin coating atop the brew.

Smell: There is a lot to enjoy in the smell. The coffee really doesn't kick you in the face, but you know it's there. Otherwise, there is a strong scent of chocolate, followed by a struggle between the lighter, more vanilla-ish malts and the darker, thicker malts. I can't say which wins, but overall the nose is very, very good.

Taste: Right off the bat, I'll say that the taste is not as complex as I had hoped it would be. That being said, this is still a good beer. There is a solid presence of coffee but, as in the nose, it is not overpowering. Again, the malts play a big role, and they are quite welcome in this beer. I get a lot of vanilla tastes out of this beer.

Mouthfeel: The thickness of this beer is very adequate, though it certainly isn't a chewy beer. The only think which irks me about the mouthfeel is a slight soapy aftertaste which lingers just a touch too long on the palate for my liking.

Overall, this is a very good beer, but I have to feel a little disappointed. It doesn't have the complexity that I expected out of a beer with this reputation, although it certainly does have an interesting origin. I don't think the price tag is really worth so I'm not sure if I'll try this one again, but I'm glad I finally did get to try it.

4.35/5  rDev +0.9%

A - Black as a moonless night. Head is pretty dark too. A nice manilla color.

S - Coffee. But that's to be expected. I can't really get too much else though.

T - Weird sweetness on the first taste, but weird good. Just unexpected. I've never had this type of coffee before, so I don't know if these flavors are coming from it or the grains. Chocolate, vanilla, coffee, all of that is in here. Very nice balance of all the flavors.

M - "Smoother than Keystone" -beerengineer89
A little thinner than expected, but still a nice medium body with very little carbonation, which helps thicken it up a bit more. Finish is slightly wet and sweet with a very nice chocolate/coffee aftertaste.

O - You can't count how many times "poop" was said during the tasting of this beer on all the fingers and toes combined on everyone tasting.
This was a very good beer overall. Body wasn't quite what I wanted but everything else was fantastic. All the other sections speak for themselves.

4.58/5  rDev +6.3%

From a 22 ounce bottle with no freshness date. Poured into a Duvel tulip glass.

A: Pitch black thick body with a thin brown thick creamy head which dissipates quickly, but a thick ring remains with some coating on the top.

S: Great smell of roasted coffee and slight dark chocolate hints and a real earthy overall smell to it. This would be perfect if it were just a tad stronger.

T: This tastes really good. slight dark chocolate hints throughout with a bitter dark chocolate syrup finish. The coffee flavor comes up with a very distinct roasty bitterness that I've never tasted before, this definitely isn't your average store bought coffee. There's this earthy taste throughout that matches the smell, definitely from the coffee used and it's very distinct, but pleasing. This is definitely very mellow though throughout.

M: Not as thick as I was expecting but definitely full-bodied, light carbonation.

O: This is a very drinkable beer with a distinct flavor and scent. I like this a lot and recommend it to any stout drinker. I'm giving this high marks for a reason.

4.42/5  rDev +2.6%

Stouts for summer. Why not? While lots of folks are reaching for a pilsner or pale ale, I figured I'd go the opposite direction, drinking some stouts, which I usually prefer to have in the dead of winter.

Reading the label makes me nervous. I'm drinking a beer made with weasel poo. Okay then. Let's try it out. 16.9 ounce bottle oured into a snifter glass. Pour reminds me of chocolate syrup, with a quarter inch dark tan head. Nice dark brown to black color. Smell is incendiary, with burnt chocolate, a little coffee, and tons of roasted notes. Some alcohol is there as well. The first taste is quite warming, with notes of wood and raspberry/cherry cascading down with coffee and roasted chocolate flavors. It's a thick beer, the sipping kind. Feels like I should be snowed in someplace drinking this for warmth. As the beer warms the flavors expand, running the gamet from somewhat fruity and sweet to somewhat bitter and roasted. Really complex stuff. Gets better the longer you drink it. Nicely done.

4.8/5  rDev +11.4%

as a dark chocolate nose with hints of anise and surprisingly less coffee than I expected. There are definitely notes of fresh coffee beans though. The taste is another story all together. It screams coffee. Strong, dark roasted, black coffee. There are some slight notes of chocolate and maybe some raisins with just the tiniest touch of anise. Although the coffee is extremely dominant and strong, it is good coffee and it tastes fantastic. The mouthfeel is thick and chewy and it is just like breakfast in a bottle.

4.21/5  rDev -2.3%

I've been sitting on this beer for about a month and just had to crack it finally, I know I should wait longer but I wanted to try this beer.

A- Poured a pitch black, darkest beer since BT for me and the 2 fingers of dark brown head with light lacing and clumps of foamy lacing. Really nice start to this beer.

S- Roasted malt and super dark bitter chocolate dominate the scent followed by a roasted strong coffee scent with some decent caramel/toffee scents and marzipan.

T- Huge amounts of roasted dark coffee in this beer followed by the dark bitter chocolate and roasted/smoky malt flavor, the finish on this beer is quite bitter from the weasel poop or the hops or maybe even the type of coffee not quite sure but it hangs around for a good 30 seconds after each sip, just great.

M- Quite average mouthfeel, much thinner than I would have thought but it does have a shit-ton, haha, of flavor and ample carbonation.

D- Got my first glass done and have a litte more than half the bottle to go, this finish is making it interesting to say the least. I really feel like I'm still drinking this beer 30 seconds after swallowing.

4.18/5  rDev -3%

A: Wonderful, deep dark brownish/black. Reddish 2 finger head. Nice lacing.

S: Overwhelming roasted coffee.

T: Acidic, fresh roasted, black coffee.

M: Medium body. Light carbonation. A little creamy.

O: Great coffee stout. Expensive. I wish it was cheaper, but I know Kopi Luwak doesn't come cheap.

4.1/5  rDev -4.9%

Pours a non transparent black with a huge tan head with nice lacing. Rich roastiness
along with big coffee comes thru as well with some chocolate. Same flavors come thru in the taste with coffee seems to cover the palate. Nice body that is a little thicker and syrupy. Easy going down with no alcohol bite on it as well, seems that I drank it pretty quickly.

4.2/5  rDev -2.6%

Beer Geek Brunch Weasel

Served in DFH signature glass

A: Pours black with dark brown head. Poor retention as head falls quickly to an oily skim.  The beer appears clear along edges.

S: Intense roasted malts and rich ground coffee beans, as well as molasses, make up most of smell. Additional aromas include dark, dried fruits, caramel and alcohol. Maybe a touch of acetone.

T: Fairly sweet at onset, a combination of caramel, chocolate and molasses. On their heels enter roast, bitter chocolate and intense coffee and amplify into finish, which is on the right side of charred. Very bitter. Alcohol is subdued. Additional flavors include earth and smoke.

M: Big body and medium-light carbonation. Fairly viscous and sticky. A touch warming.

O: I think I enjoyed the last release of Beer Geek Brunch Weasel more, but this is damned good. As far as coffee-infused imperial stouts go, this definitely contends for the top spot.

4.48/5  rDev +3.9%

Poured from a 1pt 19oz bottle...Very dark brown in color with a creamy light brown head with exceptional lacing. Nice sweet malty scent with a little roasty scent as well. A very smooth first sip that went down pretty easy for an imperial stout. The coffee flavor is pretty overpowering, but I love coffee., so it works for me. And I wasn't even turned off when learning that the coffee beans come from weasel droppings. Overall a very tasty imperial oatmeal stout that I can find myself drinking over and over again

4.07/5  rDev -5.6%

Black pour with a huge, frothy, tan head. Very rich espresso/cappuccino like aroma. There's also quite a bit of high quality dark chocolate aroma in there, with a hint of dark fruit and cream. The flavor is loaded with delicious dark roasted espresso and milk chocolate. The bitterness of the coffee beans really lingers on the tongue along with some dark chocolate. The body is an oily medium-full feel. It's not nearly as full and as intense as I expected it to be. Just really well balanced and it lets the quality of the coffee beans used shine.

look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Nice, but only bought one bottle for the novelty of the coffee content which is hardly noticed until I get their "regular" stout to compare.

Pours with a nice "used oil" color and 1 inch of fine foam head---maybe a slightly darker body and head than Guinness stout.

Definitely has a roasted malt and currant/raisin aroma of a typical Imperial as it warms and with some baker's chocolate note. At first pour from fridge, it barely registers on the nose.

Slight oily mouthfeel and not quite as bitter as Guinness, in my opinion. Slight coffee finish and fruitiness of prunes--maybe? Slight chocolate taste as it warms in the mouth.

Finish is slight and pleasant. Very smooth considering the 10% ABV. Pricey and for the novelty only.

4.34/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured into a ccb snifter. Jet black with no head and a thin ring around the glass. Aroma of coffee and chocolate, rich chocolate. Taste follows the nose, chocolate cake or chocolate fudge. Very chewy. Great beer, there is a lot going on, very different from other coffee stouts and I like it.

4.35/5  rDev +0.9%

Thanks to Black13 for this tasty extra...

A---Dark black, good lacing and retention.

S---I smell expresso in this nose big time. I know it is not, but it has lots of burnt malt and coffee.

T---Tasty. Coffee notes really come out in this guy, dark roasted malt...ummm, cat poop.

M---Smooth, silky mouthfeel.

D---Well, high Abv but a great beer worth the reputation. Glad I have a bottle to age...

4.55/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

a- pours a jet black body with a thin fading mocha head. settles with a nice mocha/khaki edge.

s- chocolate and coffee...after the initial barrage, i'm able to pick up some chocolate covered cherries, chocolate syrup, and some roastiness.

t- so smooth, mellow, and deep. incredible dark chocolate with bitter coffee grinds. as smooth as a milkshake. faint aftertastes of weasel droppings on the back of the palate (not actually).

m- hardly any taste of alcohol and incredible drinkable. aftertaste is as delicious as the attack.

would buy over and over if not for the price point.

4.42/5  rDev +2.6%

Poured from a 17.9 ounce bottle to an imperial pint. No dating.

A: Pours pitch black with what appears to be coffee grounds settled on the bottom of the glass. A foamy, burnt siena head leaves very nice lacing. Intriguing that a pitch black beer can still offer some surprises in the appearance category.

S: Coffee, soy sauce, chocolate, alcohol, chianti, and brown sugar. Complex and wonderful.

T: Tastes strongly of dark roasted, bitter coffee beans. Brown sugar, caramel, chocolate, rolled oats, and a bitter hops finish.

M: Medium-plus body, rich and smooth. A bit oily in a good way. A dry finish with a warming effect from the alcohol.

O: A very good imperial stout. A strong and bitter coffee presence is great for coffee lovers. The story of the Vietnamese weasel coffee is pretty cool, too. Not world-class, but close.

4.72/5  rDev +9.5%

What a great beer. I've had this one at least a year and a half--beyond that, I don't know when it was bottled.

Appearance: Pours not quite pitch black, but the color of extremely dark chocolate, with a little less than a finger of head that turns into a small ring of extremely crisp, fine, tiny bubbles around the edge of the glass. Little lacing, but the glass looks very sticky.

Smell: Amazing--almost smells like a barrel-aged beer. Some roasted malts, thick chocolate and molasses notes stand out.

Taste: Heavy on molasses, brown sugar, and chocolate notes, with the coffee notes more understated. Very little bitterness--which is why the coffee is so hard to taste at first.

Mouthfeel: Perfect--numerous fine, crisp bubbles. I have nothing to complain about--and that's hard to do in the mouthfeel category.

Drinkability: a heavy brew, but the quality and lack of alcohol heat make it highly drinkable. nicely done.

4.52/5  rDev +4.9%

Poured from a 16.9oz bottle to a Cigar City Snifter.

Color: Black with a dark brown head.

Smell: Coffee, chocolate and hops.

Taste: Coffee, chocolate, hops and a slight alcohol presence.

Mouthfeel: Creamy, smooth and low carbonation.

Overall: Great drinkability! The nice smooth creaminess makes you want to keep drinking. Cheers!

Beer Geek Brunch Weasel from Mikkeller ApS