Beer Geek Brunch Weasel | Mikkeller ApS

Denmark
mikkeller.dk

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Brewed at Nøgne Ø.

Imperial oatmeal stout brewed with coffee. Ingredients: Water, malts, hops, yeast and Vietnamese ca phe chon coffee.

Added by ClockworkOrange on 01-02-2009

Reviews: 827 | Ratings: 2,802
4.23/5  rDev -1.9%

Thanks to Kenpo23 for this very, very generous extra!

Poured with the father in law between two 16oz snifters.

Black, black and more black. This is one darkest, most viscous beers to date. Dark as night with a mocha head. Head rises with large, slowly decreasing bubbles. The last remnants leave a black trail through the head, giving you the chance to get a bit artistic. I made a smiley face. Seemed fitting. Retention is modest, with faint lacing.

For as being as aged as this one is (at least 6 months) the coffee aroma is so dang dominating. Very sweet, near mocha/fudge like in coffee/chocolate melding. A booze note rises slowly, but is well played, not being overly dominant nor a real nuisance. This bad boy came to play. As it warms, cherry and dark fruit notes come out, though muted. Not as complex as wanted, but I feel this one is more about the Kopi Luwak than anything. A beer that compliments the coffee...interesting.

For a "breakfast" beer, this would be a very hearty breakfast indeed. Coffee notes dominate again, coming off as a nutty, roasted, and surprisingly mild bitter tinge in the fore-palate. Like many Bfast stouts, I was expecting a smooth, non complex drinkable beer that you could slam like a stack of flapjacks. Not this one. You go from the coffee notes, to a very nicely played chocolate mid-body, somewhat like hershey bar, into a very mellowed and drawn out finish. Nutty notes come back into play in the finish, with small bit of earthy and floral hops, though very mellow.

Mouthfeel is super creamy, super sticky and takes a bit to warm up for another go. Carbonation is rather mild, with a very drawn out finish. Boozey finish, but heck, at 10.9%, what do you expect? Keep this to one, and at 500ml (which is a perfect size for a beer of such magnitude) you won't be trashed by the finish.

Excellent, absolutely worth the price tag.

4.12/5  rDev -4.4%

Reviewing after a long stint of not reviewing because I felt obligated to due to the interesting nature of this beer...

Big big thanks to bluemooncanyon for sending to this me, very generous!

A - Black with a deep brown head that leaves behind a touch of lacing. Note - the head appears slowly on this one. I poured aggressively and didn't get much head, and then before I knew it, my beer was overflowing. Be warned!
Great looking beer.

S - Dark fruits, a bit of coffee, lots of toffee. Beautiful!

T - Cherry cherry cherry. Maybe some other dark fruit, but this tastes very strongly of cherries to me. Nice roasted coffee as well. Very tasty. A bit sharp, though.

MF - Smooth and heavy, just like an IS should be. Almost creamy.

O - Tasty beer. I don't pick the coffee up quite as much I'd like, but it is there, mainly in the aftertaste. I think this is quite a delicious beer, worth exploring at least once.

edit: just finished. took my time. quite the hefty experience.

4.18/5  rDev -3%

I was sent this beer from the generous ptykozoon in a recent trade. Trying to get some work done in my office and figured I'd pull this one out to help me along. Poured into the only glass I currently have in here - my Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale snifter. I can't help but sit back and reflect on the fact that I'm about to drink weasel shit - this is great!

The pour reveals a very deep dark brown beer producing an impressive two-finger mahogany (yes, it really is that dark) head. I haven't drunk a beer with a head this dark since my last Hunahpu's. The foam diminishes fairly rapidly leaving an impressive swirled pattern on the top of my beer. Small islands of thicker foam remain throughout the session and small amounts of lace are left on the side of my glass. This is a good looking beer...absolutely zero light can be seen coming through - even at the edges.

I'm surprised to find that coffee is actually not the dominant smell. While it is definitely in there (and very good) it plays second fiddle to the dark chocolate. A very roasty smelling beer that has a bit of nuttiness to it as well. A small amount of alcohol is also present. There is one other smell in there that I can't quite place...I'm really hoping I can come up with it by the end of the brew, as I quite enjoy it!

Well the coffee certainly makes its grand entrance in the flavor profile. This beer has a very potent taste, being led by coffee. The coffee is extremely roasty, with perhaps even a touch of smoke as well. It almost tastes like they just crushed up the coffee beans and dumped them in. Bitter chocolate is still present and is even more recognizable in the aftertaste. There is a slightly noticeable licorice component toward the finish. This beer really lingers well after I have swallowed. The 10%+ alcohol is noticeable, but with such vigorous flavor, it is certainly not obvious. Fortunately, the taste of weasel shit is not evident.

I expected the beer to be a bit thicker than it actually is. Having talked with others who have tried it, I was just a bit underwhelmed by a bit thinner mouthfeel than I anticipated. Carbonation is perfect.

This one took quite a while to finish. Not because there is anything wrong with its drinkability, but the flavor lingers for so long after my last drink, I'm in no hurry to pick it again.

Consumed: 8/8/2010

3.97/5  rDev -7.9%

I have been sitting on this bottle for a while and decided to pop it open today after cleaning out my cellar this past weekend. I poured it into one of my bruery tulip glasses. The beer poured thick and black with nice tan head that settled down to a nice lacing around the edges of the glass.

The smell is heavy roasted malt and dark fruit. The taste is also of dark fruit and roasted malt. Not quite as much coffee taste as I expected, but it is still noticeable on the finish. The roasted malts are just a little too much for me. Even after a year or so in the cellar the roasted malts are a bit on the harsh side, but still very tasty.

And the look on my girlfriends face when I told her it had weasel droppings in it was priceless.

4.35/5  rDev +0.9%

Beer poured into my rochefort chalice. Liquid black in color, it forms a dark chocolate 2 finger head. Some lacing as well. Nose is cocoa, coffee, and some alcohol. Taste is complex with dominant chocolate notes and some toffee. Beer is sooo smooth and the alcohol is superbly masked. Full bodied and a bit sticky in the finish. A great beer to say the least.

4.32/5  rDev +0.2%

Purchased from MassBev in Lawrence, KS during early March...

Appearance: Opaque black pours topped off by a solid finger and a half of mocha head. The head doesn't stick around very long leaving a bit of lacing down the sides of the glass.

Smell: Chocolate, espresso, oatmeal malti-goodness. Some hints of vanilla and wooden smells as well.

Taste: Espresso! Coffee! Espresso! Chocolate! Espresso! Get the picture? There are definitely some earthy and wooden tones present along with some roasted malts to round it all out. This is a very smooth-bodied stout.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth and syrupy. Mild amount of carbonation. This is the picture of what an oatmeal stout should feel like. Albeit a fairly expensive oatmeal stout.

Drinkability: At 10.9% ABV, this oatmeal stout is definitely not a sessionable beer. But, I so badly want it to be one. It's smooth and yummy and it makes me love drinking beer and the sun is shining and the birds are singing and I like chocolate and espresso and...

4.68/5  rDev +8.6%

Bottle Pours a nice black with a good creamy brown head. The head lasts well. Lacing is great. Aroma is great with chocolate, roast, coffee, and a base of oatmeal. Has a light carbonation. A wonderful mouthfeel. The flavor is excellent. A very slight burn from the alcohol but not anywhere near what you might think. The flavors dance on your tongue. Has a full body and a thick texture. The finish is purely awesome with a great lingering aftertaste. Take your time with this and enjoy every last sip. This may truely be beer excellence.

4.2/5  rDev -2.6%

Wow. This beer distinctly tastes different from the beer geek breakfast. I wasn't sure how much flavor the weasel coffee would have on the beer but it does. Mikkeller makes awesome beers and thats all there is to it. Are they expensive yes but they are also damn good.

4.3/5  rDev -0.2%

I don't know where Mikkeller's nomenclature comes from here, but the upgrade from breakfast to brunch makes loads of difference. In the same way that the menu more than doubles from breakfast to brunch, the number of tastes just explodes when you compare the standard beer geek breakfast to the brunch weasel.

Appearance is very similar to the beer geek breakfast. Pours thick and heavy without much carbonation and a thin layer of dark brown head. Smells are similar, too, roasted malt, coffee, chocolate, and some great oatiness. What separates this beer from the regular beer geek is the balance of the tastes. Both beers are very rich, but the brunch is just a little bit fuller with a much stronger balance in the tastes. You can really access all of the different notes, and their shared subtlety is immediately palpable. Mikkeller's beer geek brunch weasel is easily one of their best. Don't miss it. My new mission - get a few to age.

4.63/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pouring in my snifter, I see a rich viscous obsidian black fluid hugging the glass and producing an evanescent tan head.
As I marvel at it, there it comes, the luring aroma of coffee. Mixed with the layers of roasty dark chocolate with sweet nutty notes in it. Maybe some dark fruit and even vanilla.
I have to clarify that she's not the best smelling coffee stout I have had.
Sipping it, roasty malts and intense coffee. Lots of dark dark chocolate. Coffee delivers in terms of not being bitter or burnt yet intense, which is hallmark of civet coffee. I taste dried prunes and almost a boozy liquor like (rum or sherry truffles) in the backend.
It has a very very smooth slick feel thanks to the oats. And the taste lingers and lingers like a sloth climbing a sequoia.
It is truly heavenly delight and absolutely worth it. I don't think I will buy this in big volumes (too many good and slightly more affordable stouts to try still) but certainly an occasional treat.
Cheers!

4.4/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

In a snifter

Pours dark brown with ruby hues. One finger of chocolatey head falls quickly under 10% ABV. Briefly stains the glass with strong, long-lived, sheeting lacing. Espresso, cream, and a bit of dark extremely high cocoa chocolate aromas. I wanted to drive right in. A bit of alcohol comes through as well, whiich is understandable. Taste has tons of coffee and chocolate. Wonderful mocha bitter finish leads to a pleasant lingering chocolate aftertaste. Roasted malts permeate. Alcohol is a bit obvious. It has a strong body and is impeccibly carbonated. High bitter and ABV make this a bit less than drinkable, but make no mistake this is absolutely entrancing beer.

Overall: A bit pricey, but worth every penny. My first Mikkeller, and I'll be buying more. Look no further if you're looking for a coffee-heavy Stout.

4.5/5  rDev +4.4%

Pour: Thick , oily black liquid with a frothy and well carbonated dark tan head (2 fingers) that settled down but stayed prevalent throughout it's life.

Nose: Intense roasted coffee, burnt dark malts, chocolate (bitter), slight vanilla, oatmeal and some wood. Really wonderful Kopi Luwak smell.

Taste: A battle between intensely roasted coffee and oatmeal. The chocolate and vanilla come in after the coffee taste mellows out.

Mouthfeel: Perfect carbonation that reminded me of Speedway Stout. Thick from the oats but velvet like and very smooth.

Overall: Really amazing stout. It is the gold standard for me as a coffee stout, better than yeti. I'm curious to see if my BCBCS will be better. Highly recommended.

4.58/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Look: Black, no visibility through this beer, the head was very small and dissipated within minutes. 4
Smell: Lots of oats, hints of chocolate, a ton of coffee, some malts, no alcohol. 4.25
Taste: Lots of coffee, but it is not overpowering like a victory, the coffee leads into a thick chocolate flavor, and lots of oats, then finishes with a nice subtle coffee after taste, with hints of burnt malt. 4.75
Feel: damn this is a thick one, I couldn't believe how thick, creamy and awesome this was, one of the best feels no doubt. 5
Overall: outstanding, a must try, and one I will definitely be getting again. 4.75

3.83/5  rDev -11.1%

A - Classic stout coloration with a large dark tan head with retention and lacing

S - Roasted coffee

T - Not much on the forefront, but strong/odd coffee flavor aftertaste

M - Slightly thin on the mouthfeel for my tastes, but carbonation was adequate

D - I could drink a lot of this, but this was more of an impulse/shock value beer that I probably wouldn't buy again. It was good, just not good enough to justify the price tag.

4.25/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Clearly a strong, roasted coffee aroma, but also a strange earthy, radish aroma as well. Not necessarily off-putting, just odd. Some additional fruity notes that are reminiscent of chocolate covered cherries - the kind with liqueur inside. Nice ristretto flavor and dark, bitter chocolate. Solid body with only a slight touch of sweetness on the end. Excited to try the BA version.

4.2/5  rDev -2.6%

HUGE thanks to glazeman for sharing this one - a beer I thought I would never have the opportunity to try. The highlight of our tasting.

A - Beautiful, one finger head with excellent retention and lacing. Black as night - a truly wonderful looking beer.

S - A strangely wonderful smell - aged meat, bacon, chocolate, coffee, vanilla, and cream.

T - Taste is rich and very complex. Layers of figs, chocolate, and coffee. The finish is slightly sour with a touch of alcohol.

M - Thick and chewy - just what I was hoping for, with great carbonation.

D - High drinkability, but it is limited by the heat of the alcohol and the sour finish. Overall, an excellent beer.

4.21/5  rDev -2.3%

A: A dark and deep black when poured. With a little hue of rich brown. The head was dark tan while it lasted.

S: I get a lot of brown sugar, coffee, and mild chocolate.

T: Great cocoa chocolate with coffee. The roasted malt is great. Nice long finish of the syrup/molasses with hints of coffee.

M/D: Full-body silky smooth. Any qualms one might say about trying this beer fades quickly as soon as it touches your lips.

3.63/5  rDev -15.8%

Poured into a Founders snifter

A: Pours a dark espresso color, with a rich reddish-brown tan head.

S: Coffee, malts, hints of carmel and chocolate.

T: Day-old drip coffee(the coffee is there, but it just really isn't all that good) roasted malts, chocolate. \

M/D: Full-bodied, thick and creamy. I thought it seemed a little too hot for my liking.

Overall: A pretty good beer, but it isn't anything to cream yourself over. I'll probably try one again in a few months to see if things settled down.

4.42/5  rDev +2.6%

Pours oily black with a creamy caramel brown head that only slowly fades - once I start to sip some weblike lacing clings around the tulip. The smells are big and bold hinting in with black licorice, bitter dark chocolate with a belgian/bitter/almost sour twang to it, vanilla, burnt marshmallows and sugars. The taste is extremely pungent and bold - a real kick to the palate. There is an eruption of bitter coffee and cocoa and a campfire s'more chocolate smokiness to it, but it's as if it is almost a bit sour from how pungent the flavors are (assuming from the digested coffee beans from the weasel critters - thanks little dudes). Milky smooth with a very little amount of carbonation fill this beer out nicely. I could drink this with a civet cat, in a hat, warm or cold, it's deliciously bold....I do I do I do love this brew.

Cheers!

4.45/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I split this bottle with a buddy of mine. It is listed as an imperial stout but it reminded me a lot of peche mortel-coffee stout all the way. Lactose and fine coffee on the nose with a hint of poo? kidding about the poo! No alcohol to mention and extremely velvety with lots of coffee upfront, in the middle, and at the end. The coffee flavors just changed from tannic upfront to dark roasted to a lively tart bite at the end. I must seek for any BA. Glad I dropped the coin on it

3.49/5  rDev -19%

Ah...the infamous weasel beer!

This beer poured with a rocky, volatile, big-bubbled head and a nice, dark body. The head then dissipated fairly quickly leaving a lasting slight ring. I wasn't sure what to expect from the aroma, but it was surprisingly reserved in the coffee department. There was a bit of dark-malt character and maybe even a hint of tartness, but otherwise it was kind of dull. I expected a strong dose of coffee, but it didn't find it. The flavor was better, though. The taste has a rush of dry-ish/dark malts up front, some English yeast characteristics, dark sweet-ish fruit later on, and a touch of coffee. Again, the coffee character is milder than I expected. In fact, the coffee almost gets lost within what would normally be just a coffee-style character from various roasted malts. If nothing else, this was a fun beer to try, and I liked it more than the regular Beer Geek Breakfast.

3.89/5  rDev -9.7%

500 ml bottled that's been cellared about 6 months. Pour is jet black with a nice inch head. Lots of stickiness with this beer.

The nose is absolutely awesome. First you're punched in the face by the coffee, which is definitely a dark and bitter brew, then you're thrown dark chocolate, roasted malts, and a nutty aroma.

The taste is pretty one sided in my opinion. All I could really pull out of this brew was coffee, chocolate, and alcohol. The heat is quite apparent.

The mouthfeel is interesting as well: medium amount of carbonation and the beer is THICK. Nice combination.

The drinkability on this guy is low. Splitting a bottle between some friends is probably the best way to go.

4.25/5  rDev -1.4%

After hearing about this beer time and time again, I finally broke and bought a bottle, even though the story behind the coffee used grossed me out.

A: Motor Oil. Pours really thick. Copper brown head 1 finger thick. Really good lacing.

S: Smoky, coffee. Booze.

T: Toms of smoky espresso. Dried fruitiness. Light vanilla characteristic add an odd character to the finish.

M: On the thick side with mild carbonation.

O: Good, but really over hyped.

4.8/5  rDev +11.4%

Pitch black Pour with thich deep mahagony head that had a beautiful look to it.
Aroma of bitter chocolate..cinnamon like in french toast and coffee...And then I tasted...Holy coffee and deep roasted flavors. Wonderful!!massive lacing and it just coated my dogfish head snifter..
Creamy and lucious mouthfeel...could drink this one everyday.

4.46/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 1 pt 0.9 fl oz bottle into a Westmalle chalice. No freshness date.

Appearance: Pours an oily, pitch black with only a touch of light getting through around the edges, a few bubbles sticking to the glass. A dense, light brown colored head appears and grows to about a fingers worth, then slowly fades to a thin layer.

Smell: Lots of bold, black licorice in the nose to start things off. Alcohol is ever present, but subtle. Definite coffee, with some cocoa. Roasted malts and brown sugar round things out.

Taste: Coffee hits first and dominates. A dark, smooth, roasted coffee flavor mixed with some unsweetened cocoa. Slight bitterness, and then a powerful, condensed sweet flavor hits at the end. Simply amazing, all the flavors, and the strength of the flavors are absolutely perfect.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied with light carbonation. This beer is very heavy, thick, chewy, and quite filling. The carbonation is almost non-existant, making it a very smooth, easy drinking beer, but the flavors force this one to be a sipper.

Overall: Like I have mentioned, the coffee flavors in here force you to slow down and make this one last. But, the bold flavors in this one are great, and I had no problem finishing this bottle off (even though it took me a very long time), and I'm sorry to see it go. The high alcohol level certainly is not present.

Beer Geek Brunch Weasel from Mikkeller ApS