Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Mikkeller ApS
Denmark | website

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Brewed at Nøgne Ø.

Imperial oatmeal stout brewed with coffee. Ingredients: Water, malts, hops, yeast and Vietnamese ca phe chon coffee.

Added by ClockworkOrange on 01-02-2009

4.3

Reviews: 819 | Ratings: 2,773
4.2/5  rDev -2.3%

Wow. This beer distinctly tastes different from the beer geek breakfast. I wasn't sure how much flavor the weasel coffee would have on the beer but it does. Mikkeller makes awesome beers and thats all there is to it. Are they expensive yes but they are also damn good.

4.3/5  rDev 0%

I don't know where Mikkeller's nomenclature comes from here, but the upgrade from breakfast to brunch makes loads of difference. In the same way that the menu more than doubles from breakfast to brunch, the number of tastes just explodes when you compare the standard beer geek breakfast to the brunch weasel.

Appearance is very similar to the beer geek breakfast. Pours thick and heavy without much carbonation and a thin layer of dark brown head. Smells are similar, too, roasted malt, coffee, chocolate, and some great oatiness. What separates this beer from the regular beer geek is the balance of the tastes. Both beers are very rich, but the brunch is just a little bit fuller with a much stronger balance in the tastes. You can really access all of the different notes, and their shared subtlety is immediately palpable. Mikkeller's beer geek brunch weasel is easily one of their best. Don't miss it. My new mission - get a few to age.

4.4/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

In a snifter

Pours dark brown with ruby hues. One finger of chocolatey head falls quickly under 10% ABV. Briefly stains the glass with strong, long-lived, sheeting lacing. Espresso, cream, and a bit of dark extremely high cocoa chocolate aromas. I wanted to drive right in. A bit of alcohol comes through as well, whiich is understandable. Taste has tons of coffee and chocolate. Wonderful mocha bitter finish leads to a pleasant lingering chocolate aftertaste. Roasted malts permeate. Alcohol is a bit obvious. It has a strong body and is impeccibly carbonated. High bitter and ABV make this a bit less than drinkable, but make no mistake this is absolutely entrancing beer.

Overall: A bit pricey, but worth every penny. My first Mikkeller, and I'll be buying more. Look no further if you're looking for a coffee-heavy Stout.

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

Pour: Thick , oily black liquid with a frothy and well carbonated dark tan head (2 fingers) that settled down but stayed prevalent throughout it's life.

Nose: Intense roasted coffee, burnt dark malts, chocolate (bitter), slight vanilla, oatmeal and some wood. Really wonderful Kopi Luwak smell.

Taste: A battle between intensely roasted coffee and oatmeal. The chocolate and vanilla come in after the coffee taste mellows out.

Mouthfeel: Perfect carbonation that reminded me of Speedway Stout. Thick from the oats but velvet like and very smooth.

Overall: Really amazing stout. It is the gold standard for me as a coffee stout, better than yeti. I'm curious to see if my BCBCS will be better. Highly recommended.

3.83/5  rDev -10.9%

A - Classic stout coloration with a large dark tan head with retention and lacing

S - Roasted coffee

T - Not much on the forefront, but strong/odd coffee flavor aftertaste

M - Slightly thin on the mouthfeel for my tastes, but carbonation was adequate

D - I could drink a lot of this, but this was more of an impulse/shock value beer that I probably wouldn't buy again. It was good, just not good enough to justify the price tag.

4.2/5  rDev -2.3%

HUGE thanks to glazeman for sharing this one - a beer I thought I would never have the opportunity to try. The highlight of our tasting.

A - Beautiful, one finger head with excellent retention and lacing. Black as night - a truly wonderful looking beer.

S - A strangely wonderful smell - aged meat, bacon, chocolate, coffee, vanilla, and cream.

T - Taste is rich and very complex. Layers of figs, chocolate, and coffee. The finish is slightly sour with a touch of alcohol.

M - Thick and chewy - just what I was hoping for, with great carbonation.

D - High drinkability, but it is limited by the heat of the alcohol and the sour finish. Overall, an excellent beer.

4.21/5  rDev -2.1%

A: A dark and deep black when poured. With a little hue of rich brown. The head was dark tan while it lasted.

S: I get a lot of brown sugar, coffee, and mild chocolate.

T: Great cocoa chocolate with coffee. The roasted malt is great. Nice long finish of the syrup/molasses with hints of coffee.

M/D: Full-body silky smooth. Any qualms one might say about trying this beer fades quickly as soon as it touches your lips.

4.58/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Look: Black, no visibility through this beer, the head was very small and dissipated within minutes. 4
Smell: Lots of oats, hints of chocolate, a ton of coffee, some malts, no alcohol. 4.25
Taste: Lots of coffee, but it is not overpowering like a victory, the coffee leads into a thick chocolate flavor, and lots of oats, then finishes with a nice subtle coffee after taste, with hints of burnt malt. 4.75
Feel: damn this is a thick one, I couldn't believe how thick, creamy and awesome this was, one of the best feels no doubt. 5
Overall: outstanding, a must try, and one I will definitely be getting again. 4.75

3.63/5  rDev -15.6%

Poured into a Founders snifter

A: Pours a dark espresso color, with a rich reddish-brown tan head.

S: Coffee, malts, hints of carmel and chocolate.

T: Day-old drip coffee(the coffee is there, but it just really isn't all that good) roasted malts, chocolate. \

M/D: Full-bodied, thick and creamy. I thought it seemed a little too hot for my liking.

Overall: A pretty good beer, but it isn't anything to cream yourself over. I'll probably try one again in a few months to see if things settled down.

4.42/5  rDev +2.8%

Pours oily black with a creamy caramel brown head that only slowly fades - once I start to sip some weblike lacing clings around the tulip. The smells are big and bold hinting in with black licorice, bitter dark chocolate with a belgian/bitter/almost sour twang to it, vanilla, burnt marshmallows and sugars. The taste is extremely pungent and bold - a real kick to the palate. There is an eruption of bitter coffee and cocoa and a campfire s'more chocolate smokiness to it, but it's as if it is almost a bit sour from how pungent the flavors are (assuming from the digested coffee beans from the weasel critters - thanks little dudes). Milky smooth with a very little amount of carbonation fill this beer out nicely. I could drink this with a civet cat, in a hat, warm or cold, it's deliciously bold....I do I do I do love this brew.

Cheers!

4.45/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I split this bottle with a buddy of mine. It is listed as an imperial stout but it reminded me a lot of peche mortel-coffee stout all the way. Lactose and fine coffee on the nose with a hint of poo? kidding about the poo! No alcohol to mention and extremely velvety with lots of coffee upfront, in the middle, and at the end. The coffee flavors just changed from tannic upfront to dark roasted to a lively tart bite at the end. I must seek for any BA. Glad I dropped the coin on it

3.49/5  rDev -18.8%

Ah...the infamous weasel beer!

This beer poured with a rocky, volatile, big-bubbled head and a nice, dark body. The head then dissipated fairly quickly leaving a lasting slight ring. I wasn't sure what to expect from the aroma, but it was surprisingly reserved in the coffee department. There was a bit of dark-malt character and maybe even a hint of tartness, but otherwise it was kind of dull. I expected a strong dose of coffee, but it didn't find it. The flavor was better, though. The taste has a rush of dry-ish/dark malts up front, some English yeast characteristics, dark sweet-ish fruit later on, and a touch of coffee. Again, the coffee character is milder than I expected. In fact, the coffee almost gets lost within what would normally be just a coffee-style character from various roasted malts. If nothing else, this was a fun beer to try, and I liked it more than the regular Beer Geek Breakfast.

3.89/5  rDev -9.5%

500 ml bottled that's been cellared about 6 months. Pour is jet black with a nice inch head. Lots of stickiness with this beer.

The nose is absolutely awesome. First you're punched in the face by the coffee, which is definitely a dark and bitter brew, then you're thrown dark chocolate, roasted malts, and a nutty aroma.

The taste is pretty one sided in my opinion. All I could really pull out of this brew was coffee, chocolate, and alcohol. The heat is quite apparent.

The mouthfeel is interesting as well: medium amount of carbonation and the beer is THICK. Nice combination.

The drinkability on this guy is low. Splitting a bottle between some friends is probably the best way to go.

4.63/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pouring in my snifter, I see a rich viscous obsidian black fluid hugging the glass and producing an evanescent tan head.
As I marvel at it, there it comes, the luring aroma of coffee. Mixed with the layers of roasty dark chocolate with sweet nutty notes in it. Maybe some dark fruit and even vanilla.
I have to clarify that she's not the best smelling coffee stout I have had.
Sipping it, roasty malts and intense coffee. Lots of dark dark chocolate. Coffee delivers in terms of not being bitter or burnt yet intense, which is hallmark of civet coffee. I taste dried prunes and almost a boozy liquor like (rum or sherry truffles) in the backend.
It has a very very smooth slick feel thanks to the oats. And the taste lingers and lingers like a sloth climbing a sequoia.
It is truly heavenly delight and absolutely worth it. I don't think I will buy this in big volumes (too many good and slightly more affordable stouts to try still) but certainly an occasional treat.
Cheers!

4.25/5  rDev -1.2%

After hearing about this beer time and time again, I finally broke and bought a bottle, even though the story behind the coffee used grossed me out.

A: Motor Oil. Pours really thick. Copper brown head 1 finger thick. Really good lacing.

S: Smoky, coffee. Booze.

T: Toms of smoky espresso. Dried fruitiness. Light vanilla characteristic add an odd character to the finish.

M: On the thick side with mild carbonation.

O: Good, but really over hyped.

4.8/5  rDev +11.6%

Pitch black Pour with thich deep mahagony head that had a beautiful look to it.
Aroma of bitter chocolate..cinnamon like in french toast and coffee...And then I tasted...Holy coffee and deep roasted flavors. Wonderful!!massive lacing and it just coated my dogfish head snifter..
Creamy and lucious mouthfeel...could drink this one everyday.

4.46/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 1 pt 0.9 fl oz bottle into a Westmalle chalice. No freshness date.

Appearance: Pours an oily, pitch black with only a touch of light getting through around the edges, a few bubbles sticking to the glass. A dense, light brown colored head appears and grows to about a fingers worth, then slowly fades to a thin layer.

Smell: Lots of bold, black licorice in the nose to start things off. Alcohol is ever present, but subtle. Definite coffee, with some cocoa. Roasted malts and brown sugar round things out.

Taste: Coffee hits first and dominates. A dark, smooth, roasted coffee flavor mixed with some unsweetened cocoa. Slight bitterness, and then a powerful, condensed sweet flavor hits at the end. Simply amazing, all the flavors, and the strength of the flavors are absolutely perfect.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied with light carbonation. This beer is very heavy, thick, chewy, and quite filling. The carbonation is almost non-existant, making it a very smooth, easy drinking beer, but the flavors force this one to be a sipper.

Overall: Like I have mentioned, the coffee flavors in here force you to slow down and make this one last. But, the bold flavors in this one are great, and I had no problem finishing this bottle off (even though it took me a very long time), and I'm sorry to see it go. The high alcohol level certainly is not present.

4.42/5  rDev +2.8%

Appearance: Black with a nice mocha colored head that subsides into a thin covering.

Smell: Bits of vanilla, smooth, rich chocolate, and a deep, but not overpowering, coffee aroma that rides on a wave of chocolately oatmeal smoothness.

Taste/Mouth: Rich, smooth, velvety, slick and delicious. This is definitely the best oatmeal I've had. Tastes like FBS on steroids. The mouthfeel is so luscious it's insane. Sweet and slighty bitter roasted malts mix with coffee, chocoloate, oats, smoke; all in a sublime smoothness. The way all these notes intermingle and pop in and out is awesome. Very robust and complex without being over the top at all. An unbelievably fantastic berry note joins the mix and adds a perfect complimentary sweetness and twang. A marionberry sweetness with a blueberry twang. You have to try to find the alcohol, but it's there, warming the palate ever so slightly.

Drinkability: unreal for a big beer. it's just so smooth and luscious it begs for you to take the next sip and savor. On tap this was the smoothest beer I think I've ever had.

3.05/5  rDev -29.1%

Bottle poured into a pint glass.

A - Pours pitch black with medium brown head. Left lacing on the glass as I drank.
S - Smells of rich coffee and dark chocolate malty goodness.
T - Malty and chocolate upfront and an extremely bitter coffee finish with some heat from the alcohol. The bitterness faded as I drank more, could have been that I got used to it, could have been the alcohol and bitterness numbing my taste buds so I couldn't taste it anymore.
M - Smooth, somewhat creamy. Nothing special, nothing bad about it.
D - Low. The coffee bitterness is too much for me. I would not have another.

Disappointed by the bitterness in this brew. I was excited to try it, but ended up being let down. If you enjoy rich, bitter coffee, I think you would love this beer.

4.32/5  rDev +0.5%

Pour out as dark as any beer I have seen with a really dark brown, one-finger head with little retention and a tiny bit of lacing. Smell is definitely dark fruits, dark/burnt malts, and a nice little bit of coffee but not overpowering. Taste is really nice. There are the dark/burnt malts and everything that was in the nose but the coffee or something is radiating a nice caramel taste that really sticks out and is quite a nice, noticeable surprise. Mouthfeel is medium thick when swished around the mouth. Overall this is the 2nd time I have had this beer and I love it this time just as much as I remember. I'm not sure if the caramel is coming from the weasel coffee but it really gives this beer a nice kick that sticks out and makes it REALLY good.

4.75/5  rDev +10.5%

This exceptional beer is really fantastic. The deep as midnight with a thick light brown head leaving a thin mustache on my lips. A nose full of caramel, chocolate, and cappucino. The thickness and smoothness in the mouth give way to a deep cappuccino taste with a hint of bitterness at the finish.

4.01/5  rDev -6.7%

This imperial stout is a really good choice if you enjoy coffee flavored beers. It is not overpowering like mocha Wednesday by the Bruery but rather subtle coffee taste.

4.37/5  rDev +1.6%

22oz. bottle poured into a standard shaker glass. Appearance is a very dark brown color with less than one finger of head. The smell if very robust. The smell is roasted espresso beans to a whole new level. Almost a burn smell. The taste matches the smell. This beer has the richest roasted coffe flavor of any beer I have consumed. The mouth feel is very thick and enjoyable. I would reach for this agian but I would have to be in the mood for coffee.

4.21/5  rDev -2.1%

Wow loved this. Nice hop nose and the flavor was incredible.Nice easy to drink and smooth roasted malts coming together with a really nice balance. Smooth and creamy. This was my favorite of the evening and I had it beside a BA Speedway.I will be picking more of this up for sure. Thanks Marsiblursi...

4.61/5  rDev +7.2%

A: Beautiful deep brownish black that gives of a cherry black hue when swirled in the glass.

S: Coffee and roast dominate this beer with grassy hops towards the end

T: This beer is seriously a joy to drink. Lovely complementary coffee flavors that gently and subtly enhance the chocolate roast. The roast is almost not apparent but is still there on the back end with light vanilla to go along with it.

M: A slight smooth and chewy stout that has a very well balanced sweet character that warms the tongue.

O: Imperial Stouts are my favorite and this by far one of the better ones I've had the pleasure of tasting. I will be buying more to test their aging abilities.

Beer Geek Brunch Weasel from Mikkeller ApS