Beer Geek Brunch Weasel | Mikkeller ApS

Denmark
mikkeller.dk

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Brewed at Nøgne Ø.

Imperial oatmeal stout brewed with coffee. Ingredients: Water, malts, hops, yeast and Vietnamese ca phe chon coffee.

Added by ClockworkOrange on 01-02-2009

Reviews: 831 | Ratings: 2,821
3.49/5  rDev -19%

Ah...the infamous weasel beer!

This beer poured with a rocky, volatile, big-bubbled head and a nice, dark body. The head then dissipated fairly quickly leaving a lasting slight ring. I wasn't sure what to expect from the aroma, but it was surprisingly reserved in the coffee department. There was a bit of dark-malt character and maybe even a hint of tartness, but otherwise it was kind of dull. I expected a strong dose of coffee, but it didn't find it. The flavor was better, though. The taste has a rush of dry-ish/dark malts up front, some English yeast characteristics, dark sweet-ish fruit later on, and a touch of coffee. Again, the coffee character is milder than I expected. In fact, the coffee almost gets lost within what would normally be just a coffee-style character from various roasted malts. If nothing else, this was a fun beer to try, and I liked it more than the regular Beer Geek Breakfast.

3.89/5  rDev -9.7%

500 ml bottled that's been cellared about 6 months. Pour is jet black with a nice inch head. Lots of stickiness with this beer.

The nose is absolutely awesome. First you're punched in the face by the coffee, which is definitely a dark and bitter brew, then you're thrown dark chocolate, roasted malts, and a nutty aroma.

The taste is pretty one sided in my opinion. All I could really pull out of this brew was coffee, chocolate, and alcohol. The heat is quite apparent.

The mouthfeel is interesting as well: medium amount of carbonation and the beer is THICK. Nice combination.

The drinkability on this guy is low. Splitting a bottle between some friends is probably the best way to go.

4.8/5  rDev +11.4%

Pitch black Pour with thich deep mahagony head that had a beautiful look to it.
Aroma of bitter chocolate..cinnamon like in french toast and coffee...And then I tasted...Holy coffee and deep roasted flavors. Wonderful!!massive lacing and it just coated my dogfish head snifter..
Creamy and lucious mouthfeel...could drink this one everyday.

4.46/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 1 pt 0.9 fl oz bottle into a Westmalle chalice. No freshness date.

Appearance: Pours an oily, pitch black with only a touch of light getting through around the edges, a few bubbles sticking to the glass. A dense, light brown colored head appears and grows to about a fingers worth, then slowly fades to a thin layer.

Smell: Lots of bold, black licorice in the nose to start things off. Alcohol is ever present, but subtle. Definite coffee, with some cocoa. Roasted malts and brown sugar round things out.

Taste: Coffee hits first and dominates. A dark, smooth, roasted coffee flavor mixed with some unsweetened cocoa. Slight bitterness, and then a powerful, condensed sweet flavor hits at the end. Simply amazing, all the flavors, and the strength of the flavors are absolutely perfect.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied with light carbonation. This beer is very heavy, thick, chewy, and quite filling. The carbonation is almost non-existant, making it a very smooth, easy drinking beer, but the flavors force this one to be a sipper.

Overall: Like I have mentioned, the coffee flavors in here force you to slow down and make this one last. But, the bold flavors in this one are great, and I had no problem finishing this bottle off (even though it took me a very long time), and I'm sorry to see it go. The high alcohol level certainly is not present.

4.42/5  rDev +2.6%

Appearance: Black with a nice mocha colored head that subsides into a thin covering.

Smell: Bits of vanilla, smooth, rich chocolate, and a deep, but not overpowering, coffee aroma that rides on a wave of chocolately oatmeal smoothness.

Taste/Mouth: Rich, smooth, velvety, slick and delicious. This is definitely the best oatmeal I've had. Tastes like FBS on steroids. The mouthfeel is so luscious it's insane. Sweet and slighty bitter roasted malts mix with coffee, chocoloate, oats, smoke; all in a sublime smoothness. The way all these notes intermingle and pop in and out is awesome. Very robust and complex without being over the top at all. An unbelievably fantastic berry note joins the mix and adds a perfect complimentary sweetness and twang. A marionberry sweetness with a blueberry twang. You have to try to find the alcohol, but it's there, warming the palate ever so slightly.

Drinkability: unreal for a big beer. it's just so smooth and luscious it begs for you to take the next sip and savor. On tap this was the smoothest beer I think I've ever had.

3.05/5  rDev -29.2%

Bottle poured into a pint glass.

A - Pours pitch black with medium brown head. Left lacing on the glass as I drank.
S - Smells of rich coffee and dark chocolate malty goodness.
T - Malty and chocolate upfront and an extremely bitter coffee finish with some heat from the alcohol. The bitterness faded as I drank more, could have been that I got used to it, could have been the alcohol and bitterness numbing my taste buds so I couldn't taste it anymore.
M - Smooth, somewhat creamy. Nothing special, nothing bad about it.
D - Low. The coffee bitterness is too much for me. I would not have another.

Disappointed by the bitterness in this brew. I was excited to try it, but ended up being let down. If you enjoy rich, bitter coffee, I think you would love this beer.

4.32/5  rDev +0.2%

Pour out as dark as any beer I have seen with a really dark brown, one-finger head with little retention and a tiny bit of lacing. Smell is definitely dark fruits, dark/burnt malts, and a nice little bit of coffee but not overpowering. Taste is really nice. There are the dark/burnt malts and everything that was in the nose but the coffee or something is radiating a nice caramel taste that really sticks out and is quite a nice, noticeable surprise. Mouthfeel is medium thick when swished around the mouth. Overall this is the 2nd time I have had this beer and I love it this time just as much as I remember. I'm not sure if the caramel is coming from the weasel coffee but it really gives this beer a nice kick that sticks out and makes it REALLY good.

4.75/5  rDev +10.2%

This exceptional beer is really fantastic. The deep as midnight with a thick light brown head leaving a thin mustache on my lips. A nose full of caramel, chocolate, and cappucino. The thickness and smoothness in the mouth give way to a deep cappuccino taste with a hint of bitterness at the finish.

4.01/5  rDev -7%

This imperial stout is a really good choice if you enjoy coffee flavored beers. It is not overpowering like mocha Wednesday by the Bruery but rather subtle coffee taste.

4.37/5  rDev +1.4%

22oz. bottle poured into a standard shaker glass. Appearance is a very dark brown color with less than one finger of head. The smell if very robust. The smell is roasted espresso beans to a whole new level. Almost a burn smell. The taste matches the smell. This beer has the richest roasted coffe flavor of any beer I have consumed. The mouth feel is very thick and enjoyable. I would reach for this agian but I would have to be in the mood for coffee.

4.21/5  rDev -2.3%

Wow loved this. Nice hop nose and the flavor was incredible.Nice easy to drink and smooth roasted malts coming together with a really nice balance. Smooth and creamy. This was my favorite of the evening and I had it beside a BA Speedway.I will be picking more of this up for sure. Thanks Marsiblursi...

4.61/5  rDev +7%

A: Beautiful deep brownish black that gives of a cherry black hue when swirled in the glass.

S: Coffee and roast dominate this beer with grassy hops towards the end

T: This beer is seriously a joy to drink. Lovely complementary coffee flavors that gently and subtly enhance the chocolate roast. The roast is almost not apparent but is still there on the back end with light vanilla to go along with it.

M: A slight smooth and chewy stout that has a very well balanced sweet character that warms the tongue.

O: Imperial Stouts are my favorite and this by far one of the better ones I've had the pleasure of tasting. I will be buying more to test their aging abilities.

3.98/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

L- Black, starts with a decent tan head but fades.

S- Dark chocolate and coffee.

T- Chocolate, bitter coffee, some sweetness on the finish.

F- Good thickness, but not heavy. Bitterness lingers a bit.

O- Solid, though I'm not a huge coffee fan so this isn't my favorite.

4.5/5  rDev +4.4%

Pours a black color with a caramel colored head. Has an aroma of roast, vanilla, chocolate, and soy. Has a sweet roasty taste with some coffee bitters on the back end and a nice velvety chocolate finish. A little coffee spice that lingers. Creamy and smooth. Very good.

4.28/5  rDev -0.7%

I have no idea on the vintage, but I saw a few bottles that looked like they survived an explosion (splattered with dried beer) and snatched one up.

Pours a thick molasses with some red and brown tinges, very little head at first but then billowing up and looking like a chocolate malted shake. The aroma has a distinct european sweetness, dark roasted malt, and bitter coffee through and through.

The first taste... wow. That's coffee. I mean, I feel like I just ordered an espresso in Sicily and they gave me a shot of beer on the side. The bitterness of the coffee regulates this to a sipper and forces me to really focus on tracking down the other flavors, which are subtle and in the background - belgian yeast, pumpernickel bread, tobacco, and a bit of burnt chocolate.

The mouthfeel is a bit syrupy, but not overly-so... just a bit heightened by the bitterness that coats the back of my mouth without much sweetness to balance it out. Overall it is delicious and unique, but not something I would want regularly - still, very glad I got a chance to try it!

4.5/5  rDev +4.4%

So I had to drink one of these and give it a review. I just reviewed the Beer Hop Breakfast and I realized it had been far too long since I have had one.

So pouring this thing out you know your in for something special. This think is pure darkness. The head looks like chocolate foam. After a while it subsides leaving a creamy layer with big bubbles. The smell is really nice. The coffee really comes though with a little bit of hop character. I think the Beer Hop Breakfast has a stronger bouquet. What the Hop Breakfast doesn't have is the nice dark flavor of the Coffee. From the smell you would expect more of a hoppy flavor but it's all but missing. Instead all you get is a nice coffee flavor with a subtle bitter ending that lingers very nicely. The overall mouthfeel is nice and heavy. This one really coats the throat and the carbonation is very subtle.

This is such a good beer. I really enjoy taking my time sipping through a bottle. I could easily drink way to much of this one. If you're not afraid of Coffee that has been reclaimed from Weasel poop then you should try this beer. It is really good.

4.13/5  rDev -4.2%

Decided to try this when we heard about the origin. Something this different has to be put to the hype test.

A- completely black with a sticky, lacey, carbonated head of dark brown. The head floats almost above the beer with a oily separation from the body. This grabs onto to sides of the glass and refuses to let go.

S- Cocoa, and coffee. A musty smell and a little bit of gym sock.

T- Stong coffee backbone and a warming alcohol feel but not enough to effect the taste. A solid aftertaste of licorice.

M- Slight creamy feel but very gritty. Feels good on the toungue but the oilyness sticks to the roof of my mouth.

D- Strong flavors give this a good pupose and would be great to test your palet but one time is enough. Glad to try it but probably a one time deal.

4.52/5  rDev +4.9%

Thanks again for the Bier Stein for having this in stock.

A: Black as the night, pours like motor oil. A light khaki colored head is present but disappears rather quickly. Nice lacing throughout the glass.

S: Coffee, chocolate, and vanilla are very present. Light hops are present in the aroma, but it is also quite malty. I love the smell of coffee in my beer.

T: Chocolate and vanilla are the main characteristics that I tasted. I let it sit for about 20 mins. and could then pick up some very pungent coffee notes.

M: It goes down quite well, very chewy almost.

D: So I was recommended this beer by a friend, and when he described it to me about the weasel poop, I was interested, confused, and sort of shocked to hear something like that. When I described it to others, they thought I was nuts for drinking something like this. I would like to try this one again, as well as the other beer geek brunch beers.

4.02/5  rDev -6.7%

Hmmm...a stout brewed from weasle shit? This HAS to be a winner! 1 pt. 9 fl oz. bottle, slightly chilled, no freshness date, presented in a SN pint glass.

The pour produces a huge chocolate brown five finger head. Huge bubbles, lots of foam, and much sticky lacing. Dark brown, let's face it, BLACK body body. Seemingly opaque with some ruby highlights.

There's alot going on in the nose of this stout. Smoked wood, bitter chocolate, BACON, tobacco, leather, pit fruit, and a hint of freshly brewed coffee beans can all be smelled.

Loads of burnt BURNT burnt chocolates. This is an ultra bitter coffee beer if there ever was one. Smoke can be noticed mid pallette with some strong coffee flavors. You can actually taste the bacon here...

Thick and oily mouthfeel...all the qualifications of an impy stout in my book!

The burnt and bitter coffee can be a bit overbearing at times, which hurts it's drinkability. 1 in a sitting should get you your coffee fix.

Another great geek beer brew from Mikkeller. Not as good as the Breakfast in my opinion, but still a solid impy stout. I think they accomplished what they set out for with this one. Those weasel turds are strong!

4.73/5  rDev +9.7%

Black body, tan head. Big frothy tan head with excellent retention and lacing. Probably the best head I've ever seen on an imperial stout.

Quite a sharp smell. Definite coffee, a hint of dark chocolate, lots of burnt grain. A touch of carob? Theres a hit of alcohol in the smell too but it doesnt dilute the richness of everything else.

A nice burnt malty sweetness hits first. Only slightly sweet though. All kind of burnt bready and cakey textures mingle at the back of the tongue and strong coffee flavours throughout. Definite chocolate tastes make an appearance at the end too. An acerbic bitterness lingers. Burnt grain and espresso coffee. The aftertaste is like one has had a few shots of espresso and a rich dark fruit cake for breakfast. Except not really fruity.

Full bodied, smooth and the alcohol is well hidden. Carbonation is spot on. Just enough to give a silkiness, not enough to tingle.

Very drinkable for the syle. A slow drinking beer of course, but you'll be taking your time just to savour it for longer.

2.4/5  rDev -44.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

My review is not going to be popular as I am not impressed by this beer. It has an oaky chocalately thin medicinal feel that is not very appealing. This beer is one dimension and seems to taste of Band-Aids. This beer barely held a head even in a Duvel glass that has an etching in the bottom to help maintain a head. Glad to have tried this respected brew but don't see myself returning to it anytime soon. Didn't finish my pint before submitting this review to top it off a pile of sludge at the end of this beer...sorry just wrong.

3.93/5  rDev -8.8%

Picked this up at Monument Wine and Spirits for $15. Split with a friend in regular pint glasses at about 45°F.

Pours opaque black, producing a huge, chunky head that varies in color from light to dark tan. Lacing and the (initially resilient) head disappear with the beer.

I didn't get as much coffee on the nose as I was expecting. It was definitely there, just not as pronounced as with many other coffee-based Imperial stouts. Milk chocolate, cola, cherries, and a bit of oak were all present.

Taste is initially dominated by milk/dark chocolate and bitter coffee. As it warms, sweet dark fruit, roasted malt, caramel, and a strong hop presence are revealed. Strong bitter coffee hits on the sides of the tongue and lasts long after the swallow.

There's a review on here stating this beer has minimal carbonation and a full body. I found just the opposite: TONS of carbonation... almost soft drink like. The body was medium for the style, and a tad oily. Alcohol was well-hidden.

A sipper, but one completely worth seeking out if you enjoy coffee-infused imperial stouts.

4.5/5  rDev +4.4%

Served on tap at Smiths Billiards in Springfield, MA on St. Patricks Day...thanks Jim!

A - Served in a smaller wine glass. Completely opaque and dark with about a half inch of tan head. Modest lacing covering the glass.

S - Roasted coffee and some chocolate dominate.

T - Again, roasted coffee and chocolate...this beer is so full of flavor! Tastes thick like a stout, but smokey like a porter.

M - Very thick and vicous brew, but dangerously drinkable and smooth. Full-bodied heavier beer. The smokey flavors linger and they cover up the alcohol almost completely...hard to do at 10.9%.

O - Overall a great beer. I feel like I could drink a ton of this stuff, but that is probably the 10.9% already taking affect and speaking. Perfect beer to drink at a bonfire, but pretty pricey.

4.4/5  rDev +2.1%

Nearly black colored body with a creamy rich looking brown head. Head went away shortly after being poured. The beer looks great sitting in the glass and swirling it around brings back a nice cap of head.

Big roasted notes that smell like burnt wood/campfire smoke. Not a rauchbier smoke aroma though. Black coffee, leather, tobacco, espresso, and dark chocolate.

Bitter dark chocolate starts out with the roasted malts and a bit of cocoa powder kicking in fairly quick as well. The palate is left with a BIG amount of dry roasted coffee and espresso bean flavor. The star of the show here. The coffee flavor is incredible. Smooth, creamy, not to heavy, and very drinkable. Carbonation keeps everything moving along. A touch of hops are coming through also right at the middle of each sip.

A great example of what coffee can do in a beer. Tastes like a fresh pot of black coffee and a shot of espresso were poured into this stout. If you're looking for a beer to drink in the morning or one to wake up to knowing that you're going to drink it sometime during the day, this is it!

[97/100]

4.48/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a tulip.

A - Nearly jet-black, thick-looking beer that coats the glass. Lots of mocha-brown head. Tiny bubbles form along the ridge and over the top of the head. Good retention, great lacing.

S - A lot of the roasty smells you'd associated with a standard imperial stout, but with more cocoa and coffee (unsurprisingly). Also some oak, vanilla, and tobacco in the nose. Intense, but not as much coffee as I was expecting.

T - Big bitter coffee and chocolate up front, that fades with the sweetness of the tremendous malt bill. Not as much alcohol present as you'd expect, but it's definitely there... even after sitting this bottle down for a couple of years it's still running hot. Finishes with a nice bitter espresso finish that lingers.

M - This beer is more like a milkshake than a light lager. This is a massive, chewy brew that definitely lets you know it's there. Sweet finish.

O - Excellent Imperial Coffee Stout. I'd recommend getting a few bottles and seeing how they change over a few years. It's big, it's bitter, it's heavy, and it is absolutely delicious.

Beer Geek Brunch Weasel from Mikkeller ApS