It's Alright! | Mikkeller ApS

Mikkeller ApS
Denmark
mikkeller.dk

Style: Belgian Pale Ale

Brewed at De Proef Brouwerij, Lochristi-Hijfte, Belgium.

Ingredients: Water, malt (pale and caramunich), light rock sugar, hops (hallertauer og styrian goldings), ale yeast and brettanomyces.

Added by hopdog on 01-28-2009

Reviews: 132 | Ratings: 206
4.16/5  rDev +37.3%

A - Clear golden-orange with a finger of frothy white. Fades normal.

S - Sweet pale and caramel malts, lots of funky and tart brett, lemon zest, grapefruit and grassy hops.

T - Sweet pale and caramel malts, lots of funky and tart Brett, grapefruit and grassy hops, some bitterness, lemon zest, a touch of vanilla.

M - Medium-minus bodied with moderate carbonation. Smooth with a dry, tart, and funky finish.

D - Great tart and funky Brett character. Nicely balanced.

2.97/5  rDev -2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Golden amber colour that has orange tinges and is topped with a very foamy looking, white head that is about two centimetres tall and holds very well.

Strong yeast to start with some good fruity aromas following this with a slightly sour smell coming through and a little lemon. Not a whole lot going on with this one in the smell department but it's not particularly bad either.

Again yeast upfront with a fruity taste of mainly apples and pears following this, there is also a semi-sour flavouring in there towards the end. Not a taste that I enjoyed and definitely not one of the better Mikkeller beers out there.

Very lively carbonation, definitely high and with a citrus tang hitting you straight away. The beer is quite a dry one, too dry in fact and the body is light medium.

This one looked really good when I poured it and the smell, although not the best wasn't a particularly bad one but upon trying the beer I quickly discovered it was the worst Mikkeller beer I've tried to date, it just didn't really have anything going for it in the way of depth or good taste.

3.11/5  rDev +2.6%

12oz bottle purchased in VT on sale for $4. Poured into Lawson's snifter.

A- Pours a lightly brownish golden with about 2 fingers of very foamy head that has nice retention and slowly fades to a quarter of a finger. Tons of fast small rising carbonation bubbles, probably one of the most carbonated beers I've seen. Head leaves spotty foam lacing.

S- Some light berries and lemon, very very light tartness that is almost not even present, a little bit of plastic hiding in the background. Slightly below average aroma strength, not bad smelling but definitely not the most pleasant smell.

T- Lemons, light hops, some light berries, finishes with a very light lemony tartness, following with a light lemony plasticy aftertaste. Not much brett going on. Asides from the aftertaste which isn't terrible but definitely not the best, the beer actually doesn't taste that bad and the lemon presence is fairly decent. I expect much more in wild ales though.

M- Fairly light, tons of carbonation, carbonation definitely leaves a very tingly presence on your tongue which plays well but in my opinion should have definitely been dulled down a little bit.

O- This beer wasn't absolutely terrible- I was able to finish my glass without a problem. That being said it also wasn't very good, especially for a wild ale. There are a lot of things that could have been improved, I'm not even going to bother listing them. I would maybe try drinking this again if someone gave me a glass, but there is absolutely no way I would pay for it again. Although it is better then most reviews, I would still probably recommend passing on this. I feel like this beer lives up to it's name- it's not bad, but It's Alright (maybe without the enthusiastic exclamation point).

2.11/5  rDev -30.4%

A - pours a golden wheat color with a one finger head that sticks around no longer a popsickle on a 100 degree day.

S - very bready with a some funk and tartness to it. As it warms slightly it smells exactly like the livestock barns at the fair - and I took dairy cows and hogs(amongst other things) to the fair for 11-12 years.

T - wow - talk about a mess. It wants to be tart and funky but it has this huge overwhelming presense of what I can only describe as a wheaty- maltiness and barnyard mess. White grapes.

M - fairly light - please dont make me drink another glass to be more specific!!

D - low...it tastes terrible.

What a mess and Mikkeller should be embarrassed. Chalk it up as only the 2nd beer I've ever drain poured - just hope it doesnt stank up my pipes!! I did manage tomforce my way through about half e bottle before it warmed and became just too much.

2.95/5  rDev -2.6%

This poured out as a clear golden color with a rapidly dissolving white head on top. The smell of the beer was a little funky but nothing like I was expecting. The taste of the beer was a little tart and again I expected this to be much more intense knowing what Mikkeller can do. The mouthfeel of the beer was gently carbonated and light bodied. Overall it's a pretty easy beer to drink, I can see why people don't care for it though, this beer kind of lets the drinker down especially if they're looking for something with a big boost of sourness or funk. All in all I wouldn't purchase this one again I don't think.

4.12/5  rDev +36%

A- Golden yellow, one finger bone white head, decent lacing.

S- Lemon, pinesol, hints of white grape and papaya, light Brett, pleasant.

T- Grains, lemon, light brett, candi sugar.

M- Bone dry, med-high carb, medium-light body.

O- A subtle and pleasant ale with a great aroma.

3.59/5  rDev +18.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

people are way too harsh on this one in my opinion. pours a bit hazy, blonde color with a one inch white bubbly head. smells a little like brett, a little like vinegar, and like a complex range of malts. flavor isnt like amonia or anything as some say, its mildly tart, hollow in the center, with a round malt finish, very light. some notes of last year's hay and barn funk, but not unpleasant. feel is crazy, really really bubbly, with a light body and a weird airy feel. sessionable in feel, but the taste is too weird to drink a lot of. overpriced but not a repulsive brew. come on people!

edit: this has been made again and obviously refined pretty well. more of a controlled wild yeast profile now, and still very low acidity. I think when it first came out, it was ahead of its time, people had not had anything like it, and therefore had no context with which to place it, but now I reckon the palates of the masses have attenuated to this type of beer, and it doesn't seem quite so revolutionary or out there than it originally did. I also think my first bottle had some years on it and had dried out and livened up to a degree beyond what was intended. the bottle in the advent calendar box this year was far more mild than the beer I originally reviewed here. delicious and well made.

3.82/5  rDev +26.1%

Poured into a Sam Adams 12oz tulip style pint. No date, cap says '5101111', though.

A: Woah, ferociously carbonated, began to foam over as soon as I opened the bottle. Head is white and fluffy, good retention (this glass has an etch on the bottom, so the bubbles are going wild. Body is pale straw color.

S: Smells heavily of Belgian yeast, very herbal, floral; some noble hops as well...very nice.

T: Taste is less than whelming, especially after smelling the beer. Front of this beer is fairly bland. There is a noble hop finish along with a mild sweetness. Nothing off putting, but needs more flavor. I'm not catching much brett character.

M: High carbonation works fine here.

D: Overall this would be acceptable as a cheap summer beer, but it's not priced that way.

3.45/5  rDev +13.9%

11.2 ounce bottle into tulip glass, best by 10/22/2012. Pours murky golden straw color with a good 1-2 finger foamy white head with nice retention, that reduces to a thin cap that lingers. Some decent spotty lacing on the glass, with a good amount of carbonation streaming up. Aromas of huge tart lemon, sour apple, orange zest, grass, pepper, funk, floral, and herbal spiciness. Very nice aromas with good complexity, balance, and strength. Taste of earth, floral, pepper, herbal spiciness, bready grain, and light funk; with some slight tart lemon zest and apple near the finish. Extremely dry on the finish; with a small bit of pepper, earth, floral, and citrus notes lingering for a short bit. Taste was completely different than what I expected from the nice aromas. Medium carbonation and body; with a very smooth and slightly crisp mouthfeel. Very easy to drink as expected for 4.5%. No alcohol presence noticed at all. Overall this is actually pretty nice stuff. Not really offensive while drinking; quite enjoyable. Would have liked a lot less of a earthy and bready taste; with more balance of tart fruitiness.

3.58/5  rDev +18.2%

It seems that while I didn’t love this beer, I liked it a fair amount more than the BA community at large. It looks nice in the glass; lightly hazy; pale but vibrant gold; a fluffy white head that sinks slowly. Slippery lacing.

The aroma has a clearly musty, funky barn note; vague sweetness, lemon; very bretty. The taste is actually a bit more subdued and lacks the complexity of the nose but I still enjoyed it. Out front there is a sharp, lemony citrus twang, with funky barnyard notes emerging as you swallow. Also some floral and spice flavors pop out as it opens up a bit.

The carbonation is crisp and the body is medium-light; very refreshing, quenching type of beer. I enjoyed this one overall but found the taste a little bland and unexciting after the heady aroma. Six dollar price tag is steep, as per usual with Mikkeller.

2.7/5  rDev -10.9%

Pours a clear golden color...medium white head. Scent is not impressive. When I see "Wild Ale" on the label...I'm expecting some sort of funk or wild yeast aroma. Nothing much here. Kinda smells like a hoppy American pilsner with just a dash of funk. Taste is lemony with some orange peel zest. Hints of grass and the slightest farmhouse taste. A little bit of clove... Mouthfeel is very light, fizzy, and falls short. Drinkability is okay...but I would assume this costs more at a bar than a Harp...and I'd probably rather have a Harp. Drinkability is fair. Overall, not a Wild Ale. If it is a Wild Ale...not a good Wild Ale.

3.44/5  rDev +13.5%

Poured from a 33cL bottle into a brandy snifter. Stamped 5101111.

A: Scattered head. The beer is clear, with some bubbles, and the colour of apple juice.

S: Funky yeast and scrumptious fruit. Lightly sour, but honestly the smell isn't very full. Some Brett?

T/M: Heavily carbonated and fairly watery. The maintaste is brief, but -- I think -- pleasant. Wild Belgian yeast makes a fleeting impression of being somehow 'off' but still fruity. This beer is something between a soft drink and a domestic lager with a very strange yeast strain. Fun to drink, but not much oomph.

O: On the old drinkability scale, this would rate highly. Overall, I still think it's an interesting effort. And interesting beers are why I drink Mikkeller. I would recommend trying one, just don't expect to be blown away. A plain, but solid effort. Will not have again.

2.3/5  rDev -24.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

11.2 oz bottle. Weird stamp on the cap, which I assume is some sort of esoteric bottling date.

Body is a very pale golden, with a murkiness to it. Fizzy and thin, off-white head that leaves a very patchy cover.

Very funky smelling, a little skunky at first. Some lemon sourness. A sweet, candy-like aroma develops. Earthy grassiness as well.

Lots of carbonation up front, with grassy tones. Slight funk mid-palate, with a hint of citric sourness. Cracker malts with some pepper and some bitterness on the finish. Very dry due to the carbonation. Leaves a weird, metallic taste in the mouth.

This is an aptly named beer. It does have some off flavors, but doesn't taste horrible. My main complaint is that on the majority of sips, it didn't really taste like anything at all. I'd pass on this in a heartbeat next time.

1.15/5  rDev -62%

I am gonna be short with this one:

Three words sum it up:
Sweaty Cowboy Grundle.

Yes, I could have thought of various descriptors for nose, palate and mouth fell, but I could not stop thinking about those three words. Sorry.

Perhaps forget about this for 10 years and see what happens. Maybe that was the point, but it is flat, dry and devoid of character, so something magical would need to happen in that there bottle with age. It is possible though....

But not now....stay away liquid cowboy grundle...stay away.

I could braek it

1.87/5  rDev -38.3%

11.2oz bottle to tulip. Best by 22/10/12, sampled 8/26/11. $8 for the experience.

A: Pours with an average sized head, frothy and off-white, and mediocre retention. The body is medium straw yellow, hazy and there are loads of furiously paced bubbles arising within. Yeast in suspension.

S: Light straw, white wine vinegar & funky/dirty socks. Very musty. Faint scents of white grape and berry, more than likely derived from the Brett strain.

T: Absolutely void of flavor from the beginning of the palate through the finish. Thankfully the flavor began to improve (albeit marginally) after 10 minutes of warming.

M: The body is light and thin with an extremely empty, chalky finish that is basically flavorless and "just dry" with absolutely nothing else.

O: From the first sip, I knew I wasn't going to finish this one. No way this beer should have ever passed QC and made it to the market. You've gotten me once again Mikkeller.

2.97/5  rDev -2%

A: Pours a hazy gold with a compact white head. Looks like a pretty standard ale. There's nothing unique about this beer's appearance.

S: Aromas of resinous hops, citrus, and oaky, lactic yeast are present on the nose.

T: Notes of lemon, pine, cedar, grass, oak, and lactic, sour yeast are present, but subtle. The finish is hoppy with pine and citrus notes.

M: Light bodied and relatively dry. Carbonation is subtle.

O: I don't really see the point of this beer. The aromas and flavors are too muted to leave much of an impression. In the end, this is drinkable, but it's not worth going out of one's way to acquire.

2.16/5  rDev -28.7%

I poured this 11.2 oz. beer into an large wine glass. 22/10/12 printed on cap - I assume this is a best by date.

A: cloudy golden color, the initial pour produces a fizzy off-white head that quickly dies into... nothing, non-existent cap and pathetic lacing.

S: mild to moderate levels of Belgian funk, horse blanket, sour grape, over-ripe fruit, clove, pepper, cider. This is as good as it gets, folks.

T: my first impression is that I have imbibed a glass of sweat: this is what horse blanket must taste like! The grain is bone-dry and feels like it has been hijacked by evil brett. In fact, I believe it has. Other than that I pick up vaguely sour notes, and perhaps some paper flavor. Yes, it tastes like paper. The only reason I am not giving this a 1 for taste is that it is not gag-inducing, but rather merely awful. This isn't alright; this is going down the drain.

M: light-bodied, watery to lightly silky, moderate to plentiful carbonation.

O: if you like the taste of sweaty horse blanket, rush out and buy this beer immediately!

3.23/5  rDev +6.6%

867th Review on BA
Bottle to Piraat Tulip
12oz

No bottle date

Purchased from Craft in Reno, NV

App- A standard pale ale color. Very golden yellow with a good two finger head and fades to a couple dots of cling.

Smell- Hmmm. I think it was too much brett if that could happen. It was a bit lactic, stringy, citrus and yeasty.

Taste- Opened with a lot of flavors that taste like soap. Followed by some citrus, yeast and spice.

Mouth- Lighter bodied with a high carbonation. Citrusy and pepper.

Drink- This was a bit of a let down. I expected more but just fell off in areas.

3.32/5  rDev +9.6%

Aroma is strong, crisp and malty with a fruity undertone. It pours a clear yellow with an average white head. Flavor is mainly malty and has some fruit flavor, mainly apple and banana, as well as a hint of hoppy bitterness. Texture is a bit on the thin side but still fizzy and lively. Not Mikkeller’s best, but, well, it’s alright. ;)

2.55/5  rDev -15.8%

First beer from Mikkeller, a 11.2 oz bottle from Superstar Beverage, poured into a tulip.

Off the pour, this is a hazy light yellow with sparse floating sediment and some serious carbonation bubbles throughout. Head is decent, leaving tad bits of lacing and lingering around as a soapy foam cap.

Nose is subtle, but relatively complex: hints of sour apple and lemon rind, plus some floral elements and grain support.

Wow, this isn't even "alright", it's just plain bad. The sourness that I was anticipating is mostly absent, replaced by a wretched phenolic taste of band-aids, hand soap and baby powder. As it warms, the lemon becomes a bit more apparent, but not enough to save it; they couldn't be further away from a pleasing funk if they tried. Immature and plain are probably the most appropriate words I can employ to describe this.

This drinks easily enough, but that's only because I'm trying to get through it as quick as possible so I can crack something else. My mouth literally feels like it did when I was five when my mom washed my mouth out with soap for using unsavory language. Light bodied, watery, dry and unmemorable.

Overall, a piss-poor Belgian Wild, especially for the $6 I dropped on it. I hope the other Mikkellers I have laid down make up for this train wreck. Avoid!

2.77/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Served from a 33cl brown glass bottle with a standard pressure cap into a generic hefeweissbier glass in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live.

A: Pours a four finger head of lackluster cream, poor thickness, and good retention. Colour is a cloudy yellow.

Sm: Smells of bacteria, yeast, flowers, and light citrus. Very pleasant and floral without going into the sourness of lambic aromas. Strength is moderate.

T: Taste is floral but slightly sour - especially on the finish. This doesn't suit it at all. It's almost a bit watery and is certainly bland. There's no boldness of flavour. Built simply and poorly for the style. Balanced in its blandness.

Mf: Smooth and wet; too much on both counts. Doesn't suit the beer, but it's appropriate for the style.

Dr: Easy to drink, low ABV, and low quality. I think the title is rather apt. I'm becoming increasingly convinced that Mikkeller's dark beers are gold and their light beers are mundande.

1.5/5  rDev -50.5%

Looks very hazy straw colored with a very soap bubble head appearance. Like many others have mentioned before me, this beer does indeed have the nose of a lower-than-mediocre gueze (very light tones of funk, belgian yeast, sourness yet nothing else more complex) but also has the terrible taste of a badly infected brew: Watered down metallic blood-like off flavor coating rotting lemons and sweaty gym socks. :( Yikes. There is also a terrible soapy and greasy mouthfeel that makes it seem as though that soap bubble head was actually made with real soap. Drainpoured, and I wish I could get my money back.
This one has an unusually high disappointment to money spent ratio.

AVOID AT ALL COST. IT'S ALL-WRONG!

2.5/5  rDev -17.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

11.2oz bottle poured into a Cantillon wine glass.

To begin with, this was a completely blind buy. My phone was dead while in Manhattan, so I couldn't look up any reviews for it, and I've never heard of it. I figured I'd take the plunge though just because I've never seen it around me.

A - Pours a straw yellow with a few streams of carbonation bubbling up the center. There's a slight haze to the body, but for the most part it's relatively clear. The head is an active, 2-fingered affair with decent retention, but even when it leaves it isn't shy about remaining as a large, foamy cap. Lacing is clumpy and sticky, and covers a good portion of the siding.

S - I'm honestly surprised on the nose on this beer. I was expecting something more mild, but what I get is an almost gueuze-like aroma immediately after uncapping this beer and from a few feet away. Very impressive and full of barnyard funk, horse blanket, wet grass and aged cheese. Think of hay and fields after a Spring rain. Supportive grain malt backbone. The Brett really took a hold of this beer for the better.

T - Wait... what? The nose and taste of this beer couldn't be farther apart. I was expecting a delicious tartness, bold and vibrant with a great Belgian influence. What I am getting instead is uninspired, boring, and for a lack of a better word, bland. Seriously, the first few sips I barely got any flavors at all, but rather a carbonated, somewhat metallic water. I honestly can't see how this big of a disjoint is even possible, but here it is in my glass. In fact, this continues throughout the whole glass, only here and there bringing semblances of taste. Mikkeller must be a great magician, because he took both the flavor and my $6 out of the amazing aroma. I guess I could say it's relatively malty, but for the most part it's watery, metallic, somewhat bitter, and devoid of flavor. What happened?

M - Mouthfeel is light-bodied with low carbonation. Utterly lifeless. No mouth-puckering tartness, no enamel-rotting sourness, no nothing.

D - Drinkability is low. After the appearance and aroma on this beer, I was setting myself up for a respectable wild, but I guess that was expecting too much as it is just downhill from there. My advice? Pour the bottle into the glass and just admire it from afar. Don't dare to approach it with your mouth. Or better yet? Just steer clear; your tastebuds, wallet, and expectations will thank you.

1.62/5  rDev -46.5%

Sampled this for the first time with some friends last night. I apologize for the short review, but I could only bear a few sips of this one.

Poured into a snifter.

Appearance: Hazy, pale yellow body with a moderate-sized, white head.

Smell: This may be the foulest smelling beer I've ever encountered. Dirty diapers came to mind first, but as soon as somebody said "vomit", that's all I could think about. From the little bit of reading I've done, it seems like vomit-like odors result from problems with the yeast. Only one person from our group finished his ~2oz. sample, and he had to pinch his nose to do it.

Taste: Vomit doesn't seem to appear in the taste, but disassociating taste and smell is a difficult thing to do. Without inhaling, I tasted a pretty clean, grainy base with some light funk and lemon zest.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied, generously carbonated, and sharp (tart). Seemed about right for the style, though I was only able to choke down two sips of this one.

Overall: I couldn't put down more than two sips of this. The smell was just too repulsive. Avoid at all costs!

3.43/5  rDev +13.2%

A: The beer is slightly hazy golden yellow in color and has a light to moderate amount of carbonation. It poured with a two finger high off white head that died down but consistently left a thin head covering the surface.
S: There are light to moderate aromas of spicy hops and funkiness from the brettanomyces yeast in the nose.
T: Like the smell, spiciness from the hops stands out in the overall taste, although these aren’t too strong. There is a mild amount of associated hop bitterness and some notes of sourness in the finish.
M: It feels light-bodied and crisp on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation. There is a moderate amount of dryness from start to finish.
O: The sourness might seem to be a bit out of this style, but it definitely adds some uniqueness to the smell and taste. It’s definitely a lot easier to drink this beer compared to a gueuze or wild ale.

It's Alright! from Mikkeller ApS