Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

It's Alright! | Mikkeller ApS

Mikkeller ApS
Denmark
mikkeller.dk

Style: Belgian Pale Ale

Brewed at De Proef Brouwerij, Lochristi-Hijfte, Belgium.

Ingredients: Water, malt (pale and caramunich), light rock sugar, hops (hallertauer og styrian goldings), ale yeast and brettanomyces.

Added by hopdog on 01-28-2009

3.05/5  rDev -0.3%

Pours a pale yellow colour with weird sponge-like cloud just sitting spirally in the body. Head is white and modest - unimpressive is probably a better word - and sinks quickly, leaving some nice sticky lace around, but not much head left. Looks a little bit boring, but I think the lace saves it.

Nose is a big funky affair, with a large number of quite "off" flavours vying for attention. Big smell of sweaty feet, with hints of lemon, grapefruit and cheese providing some backup that kind of saves it from smelling literally "off". There is a slight maltiness lurking as well, but hidden behind the funky front. Pretty sure I dislike this, but it's unique enough that I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt.

Tastes insanely funky. Big hit of strong, pongy brie hits you at the start and continues onto the mid. Very wild, with hints of rotting wood, leather, sweat and a big mushroom/umami kind of flavour as well. There is a slight sweetness but it's rendered quite tangy, and is present only on the front, before being throttled quite mercilessly by that huge funk. Finish is savoury and takes you right into the heart of funkytown. This is unlike anything I've ever had. It's offensive, but has lots of character and uniqueness one wants to like it.

Nice amount of texture on the feel with a perfectly fine body, it's certainly passable as far as mouthfeel goes.

Overall this beer is basically like having a child that has a triple whammy of Asperger's, Tourette's and Downe's syndromes, so it comes across as downright offensive and unlikeable, but it's so 'different' you kind of feel like it was put here to test your limits and is therefore a blessing in disguise. But I still can't really love it like I love my elder son, Bear Republic Hop Rod Rye.

1.93/5  rDev -36.9%

Pours a very light, slightly cloudy lemon yellow colour, with a fine but thin head of white foam. Lacing is pretty good. Looks very light in the body, but that's to be expected, and it goes with the other visual traits of the beer. Not bad looking at all.

Quite pungently sour on the nose. Big notes of green apple, and citrus, with huge funky barnyard characters. Aromatic, but not necessarily all that pleasant, in any case. Really unapologetically funky. About as raw and ragged as you get with brett. I have to respect that at least.

The taste is where it just catastrophically falls apart. It's so thin and devoid of character that I started to wonder if I'd imagined the funkiness on the nose. There's perhaps a slight bitterness on the front, but it disappears so completely I'm inclined to think the flavour is an apparition. A light unpleasant yeast funk appears out of nowhere sometime after the beer seems to be gone, but that's it. It's so bereft of flavour otherwise, that I find myself brutally offended. Mouthfeel is weak and limp - water has more character than this.

What a beer of contrasts. This is a beer that drew me in with a hint of tantalising mystery, then left me tied up on a bed with my wallet and passport stolen and no memory of how I had ever got into this sorry state. I have to say I'm bitterly offended by it in the end, and I really hope I can help someone else avoid it in the future. Beware.

3.55/5  rDev +16%

The beer pours a hazy pale gold color with a thick frothy white head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is good. It has a light pilsner malt scent. There appears to be limited hops and a very nice sour aroma. The taste is decent. It has a very light, almost watery, feel that goes down damn easy and finishes with a mild sourness. It's your most basic recipe with Brett added for sour character. It's a nice warm weather brew, but not too complex or interesting beyond that. The mouthfeel is decent as well. It is a low bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is a quaffable sour ale. I'm overly impressed, but it drinks damn well; a fine starter brew for people looking to try sours.

3.08/5  rDev +0.7%

11.2 oz bottle poured into a tulip glass.

Pours a bright hazy blonde color topped by an equally bright fluffy white head which is retained very well for a wild ale and leaves some stringy lacing as it goes.

Aroma...this is a doozy. Dirty socks, wet cardboard and soft cheesy pungency. No I'm not kidding. Behind that ridiculousness there's a hint of some hops but this beer is really about the wild elements.

As is the case in many of the wilder beers out there it's not as wacky on the palate as it is on the nose. There are dry and earthy brett notes and a leafy herbal hop profile on the entry followed by a buggy and slightly phenolic aftertaste.

Even for a lover of brett and funk this isn't a highly drinkable beer. The somewhat bizarre aroma and the slight imbalance on the flavor profile make it a slow drinker.

I'm really not sure if this came out the way Mikkeller intended or not. If the goal was just to see how far they could crank up the volume on the brett funk then they succeeded but if they were looking to brew something that tasted great I'll have to say they fell a little short. Overall an interesting experience but unlikely to be a repeat purchase.

2.14/5  rDev -30.1%

A: Poured a hazy, dull brass-gold with a one finger, off white head that quickly dissipated. Small micro sized yeasty matter lied suspended in the drink creating a medium turbid nature that was just enough to distort visual text, but not objects on the far side. Visible carbonation started out rampant, with a violent burst of exploding bubbles like a underwater volcanic explosion. Things settled down a bit after a few minutes to a light offering of micro bubbles rising at a moderate pace.

S: For the nose let me start by saying I appreciate wild ales just as much, even more so, then the next guy, I love the funk, but this was by far the most overpowering state of funk I ever encountered. To say this beer had more funk then George Clinton playing in the middle of the Kentucky Derby stalls would be an understatement. There was an overpowering stench of freshly warm, fertilized farm fields with a barnyard funk of musky hay, wet horse and a phenolic helping of fresh plastic diapers (seriously). This would be the illustration and standard definition of the famous and most overly used "horse-blanket" term. Damp cellar notes of stale citrus and wet straw also linger about. I am aware of the wild nature of funk and its attributes, but never tasted on so on this particular level and made me hesitant and resistant to the first sip. I could of gone lower here rating rise but understand that funk is a part of the show, but was one I was totally unprepared for.

T: Somehow the impression of a wet horse wearing a plastic diaper standing in its stall best describes the flavor. The flavor thankfully lacked the powerful punch and aromatic translation of the nose. Sour musky lemons and a slight dryness of hay funk first come to mind. A dominant yeastiness reaches the tongue, with a sour fermented dough essence. Wet over-sparged grains come to mind as well with a palate that faired better then the aroma but was not saying much. Perhaps the most hindering part was when I had to lift the glass to my nose for every sip being reminded of that musky damm wet horse wearing that diaper.

M: The mouthful had a tight bubbly sensation, turning creamy on the hold. A sour musky barnyard twang mixed with moldy damp citrus laces the tongue upon the swallow.

D: Drinkability was mixed leaning towards the spectrum of undesirable. Being a fan of the funk I found myself confused and startled like a nun in a whore-house. I was overwhelmed by the extreme musky barnyard funk that assaulted my tongue with fearless and reckless abandonment. If not for the fierce and overpowering stench this drink might have been bearable, but as is was not an easy one to conquer. This left me squinty eyed after every sip and find it damn hard and impossible to imagine downing more then one of these in a lifetime let along back to back. If you're a big fan of the funk and standing aimlessly in barn stalls for no reason I would recommend this to you as a challenge otherwise leave it as a curiosity. In the end its allright is not allright unless you have a fetish for barns.

3.85/5  rDev +25.8%

Mikkeller It's Alright!

12oz bottle to flute

A: hazy yellow with a tiny head and quite a few carbonation bubbles.

S: sweet musty barnyard funk

T: musty and funky, described as dirty feetish by the group. Certainly Brett character. Tastes a little vinous.

A: active and bubbly, really enjoyable in my mouth. Med bodied.

D: I found it highly enjoyable and drinkable. Others did not. I could have a couple, though for true Brett and lower cost I may go with Orval

4.15/5  rDev +35.6%

10/22/2012 date on cap, poured into chalice.

After reading the other reviews on here I was thinking this beer would be a funk-lovers dream, but really it wasn't anything special, and certainly no more funky, barnyardy, cat-piss, wet sock flavored than other sour or bretty beers. True to the title of the beer, "it's alright!", but nothing great.

Pours a nice hazy gold with a finger of foam. Nice and bubbly with a nose of brett and bright citrus.

Tastes bright with some nice funkiness, but finishes a little too bitter and could use a bit more malt sweetness. Not a real complex flavor profile, but I still liked it.

I think this would be better categorized as a saison, which would match the flavor, yeast and abv of this beer.

1.12/5  rDev -63.4%

I like most of what Mikkeller has to offer, but in the words of my Best Man, who split the bottle with me, this tastes like drinking a barnyard.

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a standard white wine glass. Pours golden and maybe a little cloudy with a quarter inch of head. I don't mind a tad bit of funk, but this smells like a bath towel that's gone for a few weeks without being laundered.

I found nothing redeeming on the taste. The beer is so dry it actually made me thirstier, and I would have guzzled anything to get the funk out of my mouth. It was like I was drinking a dirty sock. Despite the beer's dryness, it left an oily feeling on my tongue that made me feel like I needed a shower, in addition to a good teeth-brushing.

I strongly recommend Mikkeller's Simcoe Single Hop IPA, the Beer Geek Breakfast Stout, and the three or four other beers of theirs that I've tried. But I can't in good conscience recommend the It's Alright. Because it decidedly is not.

1.4/5  rDev -54.2%

Now I like funky beers.. but there is a limit, and this one surely crosses it.

When you say Horse Blanket to an lay person as a characteristic that can actually be a good thing, their recoil in horror is expressed by this beer.

It pours out cloudy, with a dense foam forming on top. Smell is that of cat pee and big time horseblanket. I did not write this beer off before my first sip, even though those aromas did seem overpowering.

But once tasting, I could really go no further. It is very crisp and dry, but leaves an aftertaste as though I just licked my feet after running a marathon in wet socks.

Sorry, but this one is a fail for me.

4.1/5  rDev +34%

Another Mikkeller for the books. I've grown fond of them, like the EU's answer to Dogfish Head. Bottle lists it as a Belgian Wild Ale. 12oz into pint (curse you, broken snifter!)

A- A remarkably clear, tawny/orange and vibrant beer is topped with a fizzy, fleeting head. Considering the massive yeast in this one, I poured it slooowly, so can't fault the lack of head.

S- Funky. Smells like brett, almost medicinal, like the inside of a tylenol bottle. Still, strangely appealing.

T- Funky, dry, crisp... I like it! This beer is less of a Belgian Pale and more of a Farmhouse/wild ale. Very horse-blanket, mild pear sweetness, incredibly crisp/carbonated, and a bit peachy at the end. While it's funky, it's not too sour or tart to really get out of hand. Very good.

M- Crisp, drying, carbonation is *perfect*, erring on the side of a lot for good measure. Very impressive.

D- For what it is, I liked it. Funky, a bit strange, and not for everyone. One of the more unique beers I've had in a while. I'd be glad to buy this one again and sit on it to see how much further the funk can go. A good brew that, in my book, is worthy of a purchase.

Cheers!

3.66/5  rDev +19.6%

11.2 oz. bottle,

A: Pours a hazy dark yellow, very fizzy head.

S: Very Orvalian smell, pale bread malt, more Brett than Orval. Barnyard, fermented oranges.

T: Interesting nutty note right off the bat. Heavy barnyard, funky Brett notes, cider vinegar, with tart lemon and orange. Light acid. Nice fruity character throughout. Intriguing finish of cheese and bitter hops.

M: Abrupt finish, very light-bodied overall, very dry, mild acidity.

D: Kind of like a wild ale light; the flavours are still very good. I enjoyed it. Not as complex as or full-flavoured as Orval, but certainly in that style.

3.42/5  rDev +11.8%

Appearance: clear golden color with a 1/4" head that breaks apart quickly.

Smell: pretty strong barnyard aromas with this beer.

Taste: this beer has plenty of funk, earthiness, and grass tones. Some green grapes and lemon citrus is lurking in the background. Bitterness is mild.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied beer. Lightly crisp from start to finish with a very long aftertaste as the funkiness lingers in the mouth for a long time.

Drinkability: this is a one glass per session beer. Slow sipping but worthy of a try.

1.65/5  rDev -46.1%

Serving type: Bottle

Appearance: nice looking beer. Like the cloudiness.
After that, it all goes south.

Smell starts barnyard funk (like any wild beer) and devolves from there.

Tastes like a urinal smells. The yellow appearance does not help with this image. Yikes. I didn't drainpour it out of principle, but damn was I close.

Mouthfeel? Who knows. I didn't want this to touch my tongue long enough to gauge it.

In short, avoid.

1.46/5  rDev -52.3%

Appearance = Slightly cloudy with very small ring of lacing, as expected.

Smell = Yes, I smell some funk and the usual horse blanket and moldy baseball mitt, but there is an overriding smell of freshly cut PVC pipe which is not appealing.

Taste = Absolutely horrendous! I'm a huge fan of wild beers and all other De Proef's at that. So it's not the style that's objectionable. This one is either infected or is defining a brand new style of wild beer; perhaps it's feral beer. If this is the way it's supposed to taste, it is terribly unbalanced.

Mouthfeel = Light spritzy carbonation

Drinkability= I rarely pull the rip cord on a beer, but I bailed a few sips into this one. Unless others are finding some good samples on their shelves, I would never repeat this wild experience.

3.25/5  rDev +6.2%

Mikkeller
It's Alright
Belgian Wild Ale
4.5% Abv.
11.2 oz bottle in a ghetto beer mug @ My grandma's house
$5.49

Appearance= Zero head retention. Ring of lace around outer edge. Has the appearance of piss. Darker opaque piss like when your sick or pissing out vitamins. Yea...that color... Yellowish orange with a slight haze from the yeast.

Smell= Funk, horse blanket, sourness

Taste= Back end is a little funky. I've had better wilds. Alright taste. Flavors don't really stand out.

Mouthfeel= Carbonation is medium-high. Good for style

Drinkability= A sipper 4 sho. I was not a fan of this beer. I had some good expectations but this did not meet them. Average Wild.

2.26/5  rDev -26.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Got this bottle a few months ago at Sam's in Chi. Poured with a nice white head that quickly subsided and no lace. Aroma according to my friend Euel reminds him of not taking out the garbage for a few days after having had chicken. Does have a funky tart quality. Color is a clear pale yellow. Flavor is tart and almost apple or pear. No hop at all and very little malt. Body is ok and highly spritzed. A slight sweet finish at the very end. Not a session.

3.69/5  rDev +20.6%

Reviewed 9/25/09

Poured from a 11.2oz bottle into a 16oz Harp glass. Firm pour is greeted with a short lived pure white head consisting of very fine bubbles. Very fine spotty lace. Color is a perfectly clear pale straw yellow.

Nose- Interesting. Smells extremely sour. Lots of band aid. Like a extreme lemon scented band aid.

Pallate- Hmm. Bright yet sour. Extremely bitter. Rubbery, band aid taste. Peppery, and floral. Nice bitters in the finish. Finishes slightly dry.

Mouthfeel- bright and extremely active.

Drinkability- Interesting Sours and wilds aren't quite my thing yet. They are starting to grow on me.

1.78/5  rDev -41.8%

"No, it's not!"

Cap says it's good until 2012. That's pretty damn bold for a beer that's under five percent.

Still, nice pour. Dark honey orange with a big white champagne head.

Smells woody and sour. Not very intense, but not bad. Like fruit nodes, a little bit of funk.

Tastes surprisingly bland. A little sour up front, but not nearly as much as I was hoping. This disolves into a soapy and woody middle that tastes kind of like a petting zoo smells and dissolves again, thankfully, into a 7upish finish of sparkly lemon. Man, that middle really kills it.

Eh... not a drainpour, but certainly not worth your money.

Edit: Check that, this is a drainpour.

3.78/5  rDev +23.5%

Bottle pours a clear, very effervescent, straw yellow body with a large and billowy vanilla head. Lots of splotchy and clumpy lace on the glass.

Aroma is rather subdued. Lemony notes dominate, with a background consisting of a vague outdoorsy funkiness.

Mouthfeel has a spritzy carbonation and a light body that is almost watery.

Taste has a dirty, earthy, dryness and a pronounced lemon tartness. A note of moldy blue cheese becomes more apparent as it warms. Some of that odd, "chewing on wet gravel" funk adds a decent complexity. Finishes clean and even.

Not bad. Easily drinkable at the low alcohol content.

3.44/5  rDev +12.4%

Poured into tulip glass:

Pours hazed golden yellow with a thin white head that soon becomes a vanishing patch. The patch slowly vanishes. Dotted vanishing lace slides down the glass.

The smell is of lemon sweettart with bread and funk.

The taste is tart with a hint of grainy sweetness. Lemons with some orange mix with grassy notes. It has a funky dry finish. Finishes dry without leaving much of an aftertaste.

It is bubbly/effervescent, but also swishy with something thin/watery about it. It has a light body.

There is an odd astringency about this one that slows it down. I don't know if this is Alright! More like alright. Lost interest in this pretty quickly. Astringincy and odd feel didn't help.

2.73/5  rDev -10.8%

11.2oz bottle purchased as a single at Julio's, Westboro, MA. Cap date is 22/10/12, best by date?

Poured into a Chimay chalice, formed a 1/2" white head over the slightly cloudy golden brew. Head falls slowly, bubbling helps the cause, with slow-falling lace. Aroma is tart and earthy. Taste is tart to start, goes earthy in the middle, and then the close goes beyond funky with bandaid and I don't know what else. Mouthfeel and drinkability are limited by the funk as well. I like wild ales and sour as much as the next guy, but this funk just is not fun.

2.51/5  rDev -18%

11.2oz bottle

Pours a golden yellow color with a small fizzy head that dissipates very quickly. Funky nose, gym socks, band aid, BO, earthy citrus fruit skin, not extremely pleasant overall. Crisp, bright, herbal, bitter, with initial notes of melon, slightly acidic lemon skin and a a mild tartness amongst the funky waves. Its rough on the back of the throat and slimy in texture with medium carbonation. I dont think this beer is nearly as bad as a couple of the previous review lead on but it is by no mean a great beer...its alright.

3.58/5  rDev +17%

glass bottle with expiration date 22/10/12, poured into la fin tulip

A - pale golden straw body with a decent sized 1.5 finger bright white head; retention is decent.

S - a bit like a beaten down tripel. there are some apple like notes and yeast in the front, but the entire background of the nose is the brettanomyces, which give off a very distinctive sour smell, almost a bit like kombucha tea.

T - the taste is interesting, not particularly desireable, but interesting nonetheless. it is a very bubbly malt and sour taste overall. the initial taste is distinctively sour and bitter, the sour is the brettanomyces but the bitterness is more hoppy. the initial is quite a simple taste, but a strong one at that. the finish looses a lot of flavour, leading the malts to make their biggest presence yet, though the sour does persist for the most part. the aftertaste has the sour taste toned down quite a bit; the blend of bitter, malts, and sour comes out a bit more evenly than in the other stages.

MF&D - the feel is quite refreshing: light and bubbly, the beer goes down quite easily. the problem with the drinkability is how the damn thing tastes: if it is supposed to be a belgian pale ale, which I do not think was the intention, then it is a real funky rendition. if it is supposed to be a flemish sour ale or something like that, well, its not the best but it sure as hell makes a lot more sense.

2.68/5  rDev -12.4%

Pours a slightly hazy gold color with a nice frothy white head. Aroma is lemons, sweet grain, and a lot of phenolic funk that tends toward plastic/bandaid but not too bad. Flavor is pretty much all brett funk. Lots of odd chemical notes including chlorine and phenols. Lacks depth and complexity. This is a wild ale without the ale part. No fruitiness, no tartness, no real flavors other than brett funk. Overcarbonated and astringent mouthfeel. While this isn't as offensive to me as it was some of the other reviewers, it totally misses the mark.

1.72/5  rDev -43.8%

Pours a nice orange amber with a pure white head.

Nose of honey, stone fruit with undertones of bretanomyces. A very pleasant nose for one who likes bret.

Thin mouthfeel with virtually no body. Offensive "bad sour" character. A bitter sour with nothing pleasant about it. Good thing-flavors are short, as is the finish.

This beer is really not drinkable.

It's Alright! from Mikkeller ApS