Warrior Single Hop IPA | Mikkeller ApS

Mikkeller ApS
Denmark
mikkeller.dk

Style: American IPA

Brewed at De Proef Brouwerij, Lochristi-Hijfte, Belgium.

Ingredients: Water, malts (pilsner, cara-crystal and munich), hops (warrior) and yeast.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-13-2009

2.29/5  rDev -39.1%

11.2oz bottle poured into a tulip. Thanks to cjacobsen for sharing!

(A)- Pours a cloudy orange amber color. Produced a good foamy off-white head dissipating to bubbles. Some lace.

(S)- A little funky & earthy. Some bitter hop and pine notes.

(T)- Same as the smell. A bit funky but has some malty aspects. Poor hop flavors.

(M)- A good carbonation level. A bit off-centered and funky with maltiness, but poor hop presence.

(D)- A bit of a letdown compared to the others. Decent, but plain compared to the rest.

2.36/5  rDev -37.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

It looks like pure muddy water. A nice foamy head dissipates to a thin layer interrupted by only a handful of small- to medium-size bubbles. It's certainly uniform throughout, with no evidence of floating sediment in this inaugural pour. I actually consider that a deduction. It looks enjoyable with its sticky head, but doesn't look like anything extraordinary.

It smells bitter. Warrior must be a bitter hop. I mean it smells like bitters--you know the things in some ol' school cocktail formulas. It almost smells like it could bite my head off. The aroma reminds me of a barium swallow...I don't imagine that conjures too many positive associations in people's minds. Though it's not really appealing, I give it some credit because the smell alone seems to activate my bitter taste buds. This may leave me with a face like I see on those ridiculous macrobeer commercials.

The taste is basically as bitter as its smell. Not quite so much, but I think if you'd have videotaped me on the initial sip, I made that aformentioned face just long enough before I brought that memory back into consciousness. The chalky, barium feel exists in the taste. It's certainly not a crossover-type beer; nor is it one to recommend to the ladies. I speculate that it lacks the enamel pull because its whole and complete bitter force sucks your tongue dry before you have a chance to really get a mouthfeel. This is like the Cabernet of beers. Do hops have tannins? I actually think it tastes better than it smells, but it's not enough to make increase the rating. Though it's bitter as a mo fro, it's not as tasty as your average beer.

I want to credit this one for what is obviously meant to be a bitter-tasting beer, but I can't comfortably call this a pleasant beverage. If it tastes like the Cabernet of beers, it feels like the barium swallow of brews...that's not a good thing. Slight credit for among the starkest contrasts to senses of sweetness, but this one is overboard.

Drinkability? How many barium swallows do patients typically want? Not only will I likely avoid the Mikkeller Warrior Single Hop, I am much more apt to think twice about any beer with warrior hops whatsoever.

2.5/5  rDev -33.5%

2.5/5  rDev -33.5%

2.62/5  rDev -30.3%

Got this from ölbutikken in Copenhagen.

A: Big bubbles in a big foam head, foam leftovers stays at then glas. Unclear liquid, red-orange colored.

S: Hop aromatik, fruity smell with a little pit of peach and citrus.

T: Quite bitter, toasted flavor, taste almost like bitterness from the white on an citrus peal, and a little grassy.

M: Fells good in the mouth, perfect amount of CO2.

Not the best from the Mikkeller single hop family.

2.8/5  rDev -25.5%

Before having this beer, I was intrigued to try a single hop IPA. I'm not too aware of the flavor or aroma profile of the warrior hop as I've typically used it in my homebrewing as a bittering only hop. Time to see how it stacks up in flavor/aroma.

A: The beer pours very carbonated. I poured about half of the bottle in my glass very carefully and had to quickly stop. The head rose about 5 inches initially. It died down finally, but plentiful carbonation was abound. A outstanding lace sticks to the sides. The crisp white head never ends. The beer is a yeasty-cloudy orangish amber color.

S: Floral, grassy, and faintly citrus hop aromas come out. I didn't get even a hint of malt in the aroma. The hop is definitely king in the nose of this beer. Really more of a clean hop aroma. Very pleasant and inviting.

T: A solid, clean hoppy bitterness assaults the tongue initally. This mellows out into a grassy, citrusy bitterness. The bitterness is strong but not harsh. There is a slight citrus component, but I mostly get grassiness. This bitterness sticks around for quite a while after the drink. The dissapointing thing about this beer is the lack of malts. I get a very faint sweet fruitiness. It is gone in a nanosecond as the hops take the driver's seat.

M: Really on the light end for an IPA. It is clean and crisp, but a little too watery.

D: I was really let down by this beer. It wasn't terrible, but it definitely wasn't a beer I'm going to long for. They did a good job of displaying the warrior hops aroma and bitterness, but I wasn't pleased with the malts. For the price ($5.69 a bottle) this beer really wasn't worth it for me. I will try their other single hop beers however. I just hope my experience is better.

2.8/5  rDev -25.5%

A big thanks to rtepiak for these two bottles. Reviewed side by side, Chinook and Warrior.

11.2oz brown glass pry-top bottle. No date. Concerning.

Pours a murky tawny brown with thin off-white head. Nose is a little more lively than the Chinook, with candied pineapple and sugary sweet caramel or maple candies.

Palate is bland and mellow. There's some hops there, but nowhere near as much bitterness as I would expect from Warrior. Caramel and woody malt character, but the finish is clean, so I guess that's something.

Notes: Both bottles are showing bad signs of age. Will re-rate if fresher bottles present themselves.

2.82/5  rDev -25%

Amber, orange color, thin off white head

Smell - slight pine smell, not much aroma really. I did a tasting of this , columbus, & simcoe. This was by far the least aromatic.

Taste - Its mid - bitter, but not very flavorful. Quite thin actually.

Overall - Pretty thin , out of the columbus, simcoe, warrior trifecta this was my least favorite. Needs more hop flavor & bitterness

2.83/5  rDev -24.7%

Appearence is a clear burnt orange color with a slight misty head on top. Very slight lacing marks the edges. The nose is bitter earthy hops all the way. Taste is slightly funky with almost a sour sweetness. Not really sour but just kinda of odd. Thats really about all there is to it. Maybe a tad bit of malt. Mouthfeel is medium carbonation. Overall interesting but not too great. There are better single hop beers out there from Mikkeller than this one.

2.88/5  rDev -23.4%

I'm always wary of European IPAs due to the inherent freshness issues they present but this one says 20/12/11 (I can only assume it's a best-by date) on the cap so maybe it's fresh. Pours a nice hazy copper color with a fluffy, well-formed head of khaki hue. Aroma is crystal malty with appley and orangey hop notes. A very slight lemon meringue thing going on as well. Flavor is malt-forward, and clearly the result of hops faded from age. Crystal malts, a little breadiness, some English-like earthiness, and a medium bitterness. Usually I wouldn't really want to dock a beer for how it was stored, but this is different. The brewer stamped December 2011 on the cap. I appreciate dating bottles, but playing up your IPA as a beer than can be aged for years? It's arrogant, disingenuous, and now I'm drinking an unhoppy IPA because of it. Lame.

2.93/5  rDev -22.1%

(Served in a tulip glass)

A- This beer pours a deep dark orange body with a hazy glowing body and a thick light tan head supported by a strong racing carbonation.

S- The aroma of hops was light and had a tomato quality to it.

T- The buttery caramel malt tasted like sweet unhopped wort with a light bitter hop finish that lingered a bit after each sip.

M- This beer has a medium mouthfeel with a full fizz and a soft alcohol heat in the finish.

O- The sweet wort flavor was nice but it had no hop aroma or flavor just bitterness that was only made more bitter by the big fizz. It was a letdown.

2.93/5  rDev -22.1%

Cap is printed "8401203", no idea what that means.
Thanks to Julie & Ryan for this one!

Dark brownish amber with a rocky, dense head of white foam. Sticky and long lasting. Surface is full of irregular crags and peaks. When backlit it's a dark copper color.

Aroma is floral, spicy, and kind of faded.

Some vague citric notes, floral, caramel malt, earthy. Mellow bitterness, floral aftertaste. Medium body, ample carbonation. Dry finish, hollow empty taste.

The epitome of an old and faded IPA. Bummer. Sure would be cool if these were dated. I've avoided the majority of this series for that very reason.

2.96/5  rDev -21.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

(Side-by tasting with the mikkeller simcoe)
Appearance - pours the same dirty orange as the simcoe but with less sediment. I attempted to decant this one but it was not necessary really. Only a two-finger head as a result. Nice head retention, it slowly falls back, leaving a thick ring of lace at the high water mark and making a cake-like island in the center of the glass.

Aroma - this has a more citrusy, spicy smell to me that the simcoe beer. A brighter, less pungent aroma. Not as intense though.

Taste - light biscuit/caramel base, the hops are spicy with pine and grapefruit rind. It starts more like a pale ale than the simcoe. The swallow keeps the intensity building to the point where it gets a little medicinal. The aftertaste goes dry and slightly unpleasant with the harsh flavor.

Mouthfeel - crisp, medium bodied, in step with the style.

Drinkability - good for a comparison of hop styles but not something I'd seek out.

2.99/5  rDev -20.5%

Got this bottle from the Cracked kettle in Amsterdam. The beer poured in a Dutch beerglass gives a very nice white head with a dark coppercouloured fluid. The smeel is average, can't really say what smells reach out my nose but it's not spectacular.

Taste is average, nothing special here. I was not impressed by the mouthfeel. The beer, like many other ipa's gives a kind of strange aftertaste. The longer i drank it the more the taste became worse.

Warrior Single Hop IPA from Mikkeller ApS