Nelson Sauvin Single Hop IPA | Mikkeller ApS

Mikkeller ApS
Denmark
mikkeller.dk

Style: American IPA

Brewed at De Proef Brouwerij, Lochristi-Hijfte, Belgium.

Ingredients: Water, malts (pilsner, cara-crystal and munich), hops (nelson sauvin) and yeast.

Added by ClockworkOrange on 03-14-2009

3.86/5  rDev -3.7%

This beer pours a barely hazy deep orange color. A light pours still gives me four fingers worth of head that fades in large bursts in a craggy way. The smell is sweet fruits and a malt beneath. The hops smell of mango in a big way. Other fruit smells include grapefruit, peach, and apricot as well.

Glug glug glug

The flavor is a very good combination of bitter and sweet. White wine in the after taste with grapey, peachy hops. There's also a light herbal bitterness to the hops. The taste is overall very drinkable and I feel this hop used correctly and with other hops would be amazing. Pretty drinkable and complex for one hop.

Reviewed from notes.

Poured into a pint. Slightly hazy orange marmalade with bright copper highlights. Huge tan meringue head. Aroma is big fruit, mango, orange. Taste starts sweet, then moves into a nice bitterness. A bit of pine.

Tasted along side the Amarillo single hop. Overall Nelson Sauvin is more big fruits with a cleaner, less edgy bitterness.

4.5/5  rDev +12.2%

4.32/5  rDev +7.7%

I'm not even a big IPA fan but this is a great single hop. The flavor is full, robust, bitter, creamy, wine-esque . . . Very savory. I get notes of white grapes, peaches, citrus, and call me crazy but a red wine smell is lingering around.

Full head. Beautiful orange copper. Excellent beer.

4.12/5  rDev +2.7%

Poured into a nonic pint.

Appearance is a hazy copper almost orange color. Nice foamy beige white head that sticks around.

Smells like grapefuit, tangerines, and sweet fruit. Maybe apricots.

Tastes a little spicy and bitter. Fruity hops dominate with a little malt flavor backing up the taste.

Mouthfeel is medium with a nice tang that lingers. Nicely carbonated.

Overall is a really good beer that I would drink again.

4.12/5  rDev +2.7%

This brew poured with a generous two finger tan head that dissipated very slowly and left lots of lacing on my pint glass. The body was a cloudy, burnt amber color with moderate carbonation. When I got to stick my nose in the glass, I really didn't know what to expect. I don't think I've had a beer that featured this hop before. The nose was very floral with some tropical fruits. Very interesting. The taste was much of the same. It started with a very intense floral hop note, then went to grapefruit and then tropical fruit, which I assume is the "passionfruit" that was mentioned in the trivia. After a few sips, I also picked up a bit of white grapefruit. This hop varietal was very unique and very well suited for a single hop IPA. The body was towards the thicker side with a little less than moderate carbonation. The finish was long and sticky and very floral. This was a very interesting IPA. It's not one that I think I could have a bunch of, but one that I was glad that I tried.

4.32/5  rDev +7.7%

Served from a 12oz bottle into my Darkness snifter. My first from Mikkeller.

Pours a slightly murky copper. Flufy, two finger head has excellent retention as well as lacing; very Belgian looking.

Smell is dank in every sense of the word. Deep hop notes. Some tropical some super earthy. Yet more proof Nelson Sauvin is my new favorite hop. Moderate malt sweetness comes through.

Wonderful hop profile; deep, earthy, some mango, and a touch of spice. The fact that this is the only hop used is a true testament to this variety. Perfectly balanced by a caramel malt sweetness.

Mouthfeel is right on for the style. Medium in body, with a dry, but not too dry, finish.

Overall this is a solid if not excellent IPA. There is none of the typical Belgian yeast funk I expected. I love the complexity of the hop profile with only the Nelson used. A little pricy, but worth a try if you are a fan of the style. Cheers!

4.48/5  rDev +11.7%

Making a run at some of the Mikkeller Single Hop series tonight. On a recent trip I was able to find the Nelson Sauvin, Cascade, Centennial, and Simcoe. As a fan of hops in general and IPAs in particular I'm hoping that this will not only be fun, but educational as well.

11.2 ounce bottle. Starting witht he Nelson Sauvin, as it's the hop that I'm the most unfamiliar with. I expected this beer to be lightly carbonated, but I assure you that's not the case. My relatively aggressive pour overfilled my glass, even with the extra ounce or so to spare. Pours a deep copper orange with very nice carbonation and a booming, billowing head. Lacing on the beer can be described as sticky, and quite impressive at that. I get some aroma of pine before citrus - tangerines? - takes over. There's also this complex fruitiness going on in the background of the aroma. Nice light mouthfeel to the beer, with the high level of carbonation making for a refreshing drinking experience. The taste is sweeter than I expected, with some fruitiness that I wonder is a byproduct of the Belgian yeast. Then again, maybe that's just the malt profile coming through. There's a nice tropical thing going on with this, it's very mango-like. Kind of like drinking a hop infused mango smoothie. There's also this underlying earthiness that you get the more you drink it. The beer finishes with that classic IPA bitterness that you just don't get with anything else. Love the finish. Honestly, just based on my unfamiliarity with the hop I had very low expectations for this one, but it's surprisingly good. I've had IPAs brewed with Citra (the easiest example being Torpedo) and the Nelson Sauvin reminds me a little bit of that. Honestly it's much better than I was expecting. Recommended.

4.52/5  rDev +12.7%

There's something great about making single hop beers.
I know it's got to be expensive with large scale production, but I think all the best American breweries need to make at least one.

In fact, I'd like to advocate that some one starts a brewery using one hop per beer.

No apparent date on the cap. Looks like an IPA, crystal clear with a nice hue of orange-ish brown.
Something made it foam up tall when I started pouring.

Smells like a New Zealand Sav Blanc. Still big foam on the 2nd pour. Good retention, but crazy with the creamy head. Mangoes and *fresh* guava. I guess pink grapefruit too if you don't have fresh fruit experience.

Tastes fruity, bitter, balanced with some malt sweetness.
Pink grapefruit pith, medium bitterness. Good IPA example with nice flavoring. Fruity. Remarkable and distinct.

A bit sticky but that may be to balance it more.

Can't say this is a weekly beverage, but this one I'd like to have with some jasmine rice and coconut chicken curry.

4.5/5  rDev +12.2%

Nelson Sauvin. Never heard of you but I sure like your hops. Like the Simcoe and Warrior before it Mikkellers Nelson Sauvin single hop IPA is a winner. As the name suggests this beer is a showcase of the New Zealand born and bred Nelson Sauvin hop variety. Very herbal in the nose with a fair amount of grapefruit aroma as well. Smells great. Bitterness is agressive and the finish is dry. This hop reminds me of Chinook or Colombus. Dank, grapefruity and resinous. No attempt at balance, why would they? Tastes like it was brewed next door, yesterday. Very nice.

2.74/5  rDev -31.7%

Poured a rather cloudy orange with two finger's of head which dissipated down to a nice thin lacing. Aroma has some strong citrus, but also that apple scent a beer gets when It's past it's prime. Taste has a strong upfront taste of citrus, grapefruit, and apple. After tasting it for a bit the sweet malts come through along with a vinegar flavor in the aftertaste. Bottle cap said 10/03/11, so I take it that's the best by date...meaning this beer is well past it's prime...

4.28/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Had this the other day while brewing. Poured a golden orange color with frothy head that left good lacing. Smelled of floral/citrus hops and caramel malt. Tasted almost exactly the same. Slightly fizzy and bitter. This was gone before I even got to boiling.

A - Hazed ruby amber color with dense ivory head that beautifully coats the glass , hanging almost impossibly for a moment before melting away and leaving spotty chunks hanging about.

S - Citrus (tangerine), sweet grass, sauvignon blanc grapes, some mellow pine, and a whiff of cannabis all laying over a biscuity lightly caramelized canvas.

T - Maltiness comes through up front followed by a burst of juicy fruit (white grape, gooseberry, and citrus), with more tangerine with hints of white grapefruit and lemon, grass and green herbs. There is also a subdued yet pervasive spiciness of mint and pine blended with jalapeño. Quite wine-like in character with all of the fruitiness of the hops.

M - Creamy, medium feel with some stickiness. Finishes dry and lighter than expected, but pleasingly so.

D - A very nice drink for such a singularly focused brew, which just goes to show how well this beer is made. Solid, solid, solid all the way around. A very interesting study of this lesser-known New Zealand hop variety--a great showcase of its unique character. This is a hop variety that I hope other brewers will experiment with more in the future.

3.97/5  rDev -1%

11.2oz bottle poured into a goblet.

A hazy, juicy apricot orange and amber colored liquid with a huge head that fall into a thin bubbly layer.

The nose is a little weak until it warms. There's some carmel, sparkling grape juice. I'm also picking up on some grassy grapefruit. It's quite interesting and lovely.

The first gulp starts a little bitter with some hop spice, caramel, the sparkling grape juice, grapfruit, grass, so it pretty much follows the nose. It is unique and delicious. The finish is sweeter and a little dry.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with strong carbonation at first that bordered on spritzy, but dropped slowly.

I was very curious to try this beer due to the Nelson Sauvin hops and I wasn't let down much. I wish I grabbed this a few months ago because I'm sure it would've been much better, but the price tag is a little much which hurts the drinkability factor a bit. A must try if you can find it. I might have to grab some more.

3.78/5  rDev -5.7%

12oz bottle into my Allagash chalice. Cap marked "10/03/11".

Pours a hazy orange-amber with a luscious, bubbly head.

The nose is all tropical fruits and pineapple. Quite spicy with hints of citrus.

Extremely well balanced taste. Malts along with spicy, citric hops come through. It finishes with a dirty, funky bitterness that fades to leave citric and pine-needle flavors. Slightly resinous and not very astringent. The carbonation is a bit heavier than I'd like.

Overall, a great IPA; however, at $6.49 a bottle, it costs more than it's worth, so it might not be the first IPA I'd reach for.

4.02/5  rDev +0.2%

A: Huge off-white head. Dark wildflower honey colored with maybe a touch more brown. Slightly hazy.

S: bitter hops; wood; tropical fruit -mangoes, some citrus.

T: Hops, more wood; tropical fruits again. Bitter, piney. Pretty nice.

M: Light, smooth, some carbonation -unassuming to the point of being boring and, frankly, not very good.

O: Very interesting, especially since I will now be able to identify Nelson Sauvin hops in the future. Mouthfeel is disappointing. But on the whole I like it.

3.5/5  rDev -12.7%

4.45/5  rDev +11%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Appearance - Hazy amber/golden color with a thick head that leaves a lot of lacing.

Smell - Passionfruit, citrus, tropical fruits and sweet malt.

Taste - Passionfruit, sweet malt, pineapple and a bitter finish.

Mouthfeel - Medium body with quite fitting carbonation.

Poured into Allagash chalice

A - hazy, amber orange color, fingers worth of sandy white head, bit of lacing, head stays on top of beer throughout the drinking

S - surprising white wine maybe Riesling like, crushed green grapes, some dark fruits like blackberry

T - nice caramel back bone that transitions to dry bitter hop flavor that is very much in line with smell, with a little green apple flavor too

M - light bodied but not thin, good carbonation

D - flavor profile from these hops is pretty amazing, definitely something different comparative to other American style IPAs which are pretty redundant with their citrus smell, will be enjoying the other one I had very soon

3.86/5  rDev -3.7%

This was a nice, easy-on-you IPA that can bring some enjoyment to you on a Spring day. Poured a thick amber color. One of the cloudier pours I've seen recently. I didn't get much out of the aroma - certainly the hops were there, but nothing particularly noteworthy. The hops were there in good taste, not overpowering, but enough to linger on your pallet. I'll recommend it down the line for sure.

3.79/5  rDev -5.5%

I am reviewing from the aspect of a homebrewer, rather than a taster. I got this beer hoping that it would help me decide what to do with the Nelson Sauvin hops that I just ordered. I've never had them, so I am looking forward to this.

The beer is ruby orange colored, with a ton of head. It's almost entirely opaque. The nose is very interesting, I wasn't expecting this at all. More molasses, caramel and raisins for me. I even thought I picked up some tomato juice as well. (Not sure how old the bottle is). The taste is sweet, grapey, and has a nice dry finish. With the mild citrus flavor, this is really unlike any hop that I have tasted. This beer doesn't have the bitterness that IPA's generally have. The mouthfeel is slippery and medium bodied. Well-carbonated. I feel that this drinks more like a pale ale than an IPA.

Overall, a great hop with an interesting twist to the American hops that I am used to. Although very good, at 4.99 a bottle, I don't think I would get this again. I would be willing to try other single hop beers from them though.

As far as what I'm going to do with my stash of Nelson hops, I think I'll brew a pale ale.

3.91/5  rDev -2.5%

Pours a beautiful dark golden and cooper with a full one inch billowy head. Head is khaki, carbonation looks light and lacing is fantastic.

Nose points at a heavy malt backbone and reminds me of a DIPA/IIPA. Hops are floral and citrusy but balanced by undertones of sweet.

A nice balanced IPA taste with malts and body up front. Light bitter comes through but the brew finishes easy and smooth. Hops add a little spice and, perhaps, a little rind but citrus doesn't come through from the aroma as one would expect. Taste is simple but not overly impressive.

With a lower price and greater availability this could be a great session beer especially in a can. This is definitely a sit back and relax kind of IPA and lacks any true "in-your-face" characteristics.

Nelson Sauvin Single Hop IPA from Mikkeller ApS