Funky E Star | Mikkeller ApS

Denmark
mikkeller.dk

Style: Belgian Strong Pale Ale

Availability: Spring

Water, malts, light candy, hops, yeast and brettanomyces.

Added by koopa on 06-15-2009

Appearance: Carmine/rosewood body with a beige/isabelline head.

Aroma: Earthy, sweet, spicy - notes of blackcurrants, cherries, raspberries, and hint of caramel.

Taste: Much like the aroma, only with the inclusion of raisins, apples, and cinnamon.

Mouthfeel: Tart with a fair amount of carbonation.

Overall: I've not had many wild ales, but this one - for want of a better phrase - is awesome, particularly for spring/summer.

4.59/5  rDev +24.7%

Pours a hazy golden brown with a white head that settles quickly to about a half finger. Nose is tropical with mango, papaya, some yeasty bready notes, a little musty with that Brettanomyces funk, a hint of banana, some citrus and grapefruit. The taste is orange, papaya, grapefruit, tropical notes, a bit of pine bitterness, some definite funky Brett notes but not in that typical musty kind of way. Its more bright and fruity. The mouthfeel is kind of light with a good amount of carbonation. This is definitely a delicious wild ale. I'm loving these sours and wild ales, I wish AZ got more of that style. Mikkeller is awesome, I don't think I have had anything bad from him.

4.59/5  rDev +24.7%

XicanoBeerRun came through with another goodie. Psychedelic label and clever name aside, I have no idea what I’m getting into here. But sometimes it’s good to come in with no expectations.
This beer pours with virtually no foam. It’s cloudy, hazy, yeasty. Split a 12 ounce bottle with XicanoBeerRun and we both commented how the same beer looked so different in our separate glasses. Who poured first? Who got the last of the bottle? Here it makes a big difference.

There’s such a vibrant, yeasty, estery aroma on the nose. Really, it gives meaning to the term ‘bouquet’. And what a wonderful bouquet it is! Really, really appealing.

The flavors carry though to the palate. It’s a complex beer, but in a good way. Great body, wonderful mouthfeel, and I don’t get a hint of the 9.30% abv in the least. A light summer fruitiness comes through on the palate, but not sweet. More on the savory side.

This beer tastes terrific. Great finish, almost oaky or barrel aged in its smoothness with a bit of funk to keep it exciting. Well-balanced. It’s complex but rewarding.

4.5/5  rDev +22.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I can't quite believe this gets only 82 at the moment.
Pours with a nice creamy head that stayed all the way to the last sip.
Beautiful, fruity aroma and the taste is rich and complex.
ABV not dominant ... In fact is well disguised
I loved it and will definitely have again.

4.45/5  rDev +20.9%

Yowch! This is quick becoming one of my favourite beers. I think I'm extra partial to the flavours of Special B malt, so this funky little monster gets extra love from me.

Pours a slightly boggy amber-brown with a thin well-off-white head leaving lacing. Big caramel notes in the nose. Big caramel flavours up front give way to a strong prune/dried fruit presence and ending with a soft brett/Orval note that I imagine will grow if cellared. Carbonation is soft and pleasant, and I had no problem whatsoever finishing a whole 750 by myself in a short time.

A very, very nice Belgian-style strong ale that I'll be drinking regularly if it continues to be available.

4.4/5  rDev +19.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Tastes like a sour apple crumble. Can't go wrong with that.

4.35/5  rDev +18.2%

Saw this on the shelves locally in 12oz bottles today and HAD to nab this long time want. Perhaps slightly different than the larger bottle, this one says 9.4% ABV and Belgian Wild Ale.

a - popped the bottle and filled my captain lawrence tasting tulip. The beer had a really nice amber color to it, pretty murky but somewhat transparent with a nice frothy yeasty head. Lacing clung to the glass nicely.

s - very nice citric candy and banana clove notes. A bit of funky bubblegum and nice to style. Tartness starts coming out as I swirl the glass and it opens up, but nicely balanced with the other flavors.

t - peppery bubblegum. very faint sweet tart. sublte sweet tart start with subtle bittery finish. I quite enjoy this beer...it is different, but the flavors really work for me...mostly because of the softness and sutbleness.

m - very soft with good carbonation (as I started drinking it, I even started to see the carbonation). I really like the way this beer sits and feels. It is smooth, even, and subtle.

o - I didn't really know what to expect with this beer being called a BSPA or a Belgian Wild Ale and it sort of fits somewhere between a cross of a wild ale and a belgian pale. I think the best way to describe this would be bubblegum beer (I can already see the collaboration with Short's and this recipe). Mikkeller has always been a hit or miss brewer to me and this is a beer I get...this is a beer that is a hit for me. Love it (going to try to stock up on a few of these while they are still on shelves).

4.34/5  rDev +17.9%

Another Mikkeller.. this one is listed as a BSPA and it is.. with a healthy dose of Brett. I had one bottle the other night but didn't review. I enjoyed it, though.

A- Big fluffy head, slightly off-white (eggshell) and a nice orangey base beer with good ruby and tangerine highlights. A bit hazy.

S- Fruity- very much so. Very ripe strawberries and a bit of peach. Also.. brett is here. For such a young bottle I'm surprised at it's strong presence. Not complaining, though... One of the best aromas I've ever encountered.

T- Alcohol is here, but in a bit of a boozy (good) way in the background. Vinous fruitiness (hmm) and a bit of what tastes like champagne yeast. The brett is , not as powerful as it was in the nose. Hop bitterness comes through and is a bit disarming at first.. kind of surprised me. I usually like hops.. and I like them here.. but I think some time to smooth them out would do this a favor.

M- Crisp... great carbonation, full body, nice complexity.

D- High. ABV is not really evident, even though a trace of the alcohol is noted in the flavors it works well. Easy drinkin'. I suggest letting this one go for a while though, I think it has really good potential.

Not as good as It's Alive! or USAlive! but this one is still

4.33/5  rDev +17.7%

A really nice beer we have today.

Clear amber colour with a big, creamy light tan head. Great lacing and good head retention.

Wonderful funky aroma with a nice balance in there and some spicy clove notes showing that the base beer is lovely too.

Wonderful balance of malt and funk here with the sweetish malt being offset by earthy Brettanomyces character. A hefty dose of hop bitterness cleans out the palate. Great.

Medium body with moderate carbonation. Nice.

A delightful beer. Full of flavour and well developed Brett character.

4.32/5  rDev +17.4%

12oz bottle into a tulip glass

$5.99 at Dicicco's in Brewster

A- Pours a nice dark orange brown with no head at all just some big off white bubbles clinging to the side of the glass. Not much retention and small alcohol legs that don't stick around to long.

S- Wow that smells absolutely awesome! Big Belgian notes up front with yeasty bread, banana, and clove spice that's quickly followed by a nice hint of funk or barnyard. Definitely some alcohol in the background but no to overpowering, also has some hints of floral hops or grass.

T- Nothing like the taste but in a good way. Up front I get lots of candied sugars with hints of dark fruits like raisins and plums. As it start to go down the throat the bitter grassy hops come out and totally change the overall flavor. Finishes off with a slightly tart funk from the brett but nothing to crazy. Very strange considering the aroma was a lot more typical belgian like but the taste is more dark fruity and bitter.

M- Medium bodied with moderate carbonation and a decently bitter and slightly tart finish.

SkÅL!

4.28/5  rDev +16.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.25/5  rDev +15.5%

Pours a translucent golden orange with great head/lacing.

Smell is big, big Brett. Also some spices behind that. Caraway, fennel. Pineapple, dates, leather. Also has lots of malt, verging on a barleywine.

Taste brings Bretty notes, booze, some sweet notes, more pineapple, Christmas cake.

Mouthfeel is big, Bretty bitter and sweet.

Massively, massively complex beer. Inspired combination of spices, malt and Brett. Halfway between a spiced barleywine and a sour ale, love to see a BA version of this.

Funky E Star from Mikkeller ApS