I Beat YoU | Mikkeller ApS

Mikkeller ApS
Denmark
mikkeller.dk

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Heavily hopped with Herkules, Centennial, Warrior, Amarillo, Simcoe and Columbus.

Brewed at BrewDog, Scotland.

Added by bark on 11-18-2009

3.97/5  rDev +2.1%

Blind beer #4, 12 oz. bottle. Pours a very dark, golden brown, translucent, with a large off-white head that leaves lacing down my new half acre tulip. - 3.5

The smell is a bready, biscuity and even slightly caramel malt flavor atop a slightly juicy, floral hop nose. There may even be a touch of wheat. It's either a DIPA, an American barleywine or, possibly a hoppy wheat wine. - 4.0

Bright, slightly juicy hops blend with a slightly bready malt profile. Quite hoppy, and yet there is some balance. Its nice. - 4.0

The mouthfeel is pretty heavy with a medium-high amount of carbonation. Its gotta be an American barleywine. - 4.0

This is an interesting beer. The almost citric, flowery, juicy element of the hops is the thing that elevates it. Drinkable in spite of an assumed fairly high ABV. The flavors come together nicely. - 4.0

Ok, so I am going to go with American Barleywine, but as far as guesses go, the 12oz bottle is throwing me off. My best guess would be doggie claws...

...reveal: Mikkeller I beat you American IPA, 9.75%, and also, a sneaky 11.2 oz bottle. This instantly rocketed up to one of my favorite Mikkeller beers. Very nice one to open as a blind beer. Thanks!

3.85/5  rDev -1%

Pours a hazy orange-ish color with a light tan head. In the aroma, orange citrus. In the taste, alcohol, boozy hops, and a bit sweet, with a light citrus to pine. An alcohol and hop bite and a medium bodied mouthfeel, with a dry alcohol and small hop in the aftertaste. Quite boozy, but some nice hops.

3.52/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Dark caramel amber with good clarity and depth. Nice two finger, creamy tan head that fades slowly and leaves creamy rings of lace.

The aroma is an amazingly rich bouquet of tropical fruit. Pineapple, grapefruit, orange marmalde, cocunut and hints of vanill and rich caramels. Strong malt bottom with toffee hints.

The flavor is more aggressive with a bitter bite. Still citrusy, orange peel, grapefruit pith, aspirin hints. A little overboard and stinging. Rich toffee, sweet bottom a bit cloying. Big alcohol burn on the finish. Pallate stripper. Interesting and intense.

The burn in the finish on this bitter beer is a lot to handle. Medium body and quite solid.

Not balanced. Aggressive, hard to finish.

4.5/5  rDev +15.7%

3.5/5  rDev -10%

Appearance: dark, almost red. Wispy off white head.
Smell: earthy citrus hops in your face. Tamed by a strong malt.
Taste: conflicting hops and malt. Strong malt backbone but cut through with a bitter streak.
Overall: glad to try. Not a stand out IMO.

4.42/5  rDev +13.6%

A - very hazy orange brown hue, respectable off white head left plenty of sticky lacing
S - big fruity hops of citrus, tropicals, some perfume and healthy toasty and toffee aromas
T - big hop flavours of tropical fruit juice, some earthy and spicy notes, toasty malt, and the high ABV is non existent
M - medium body with lighter carbonation, medium bitter and dry with alcohol non existant
O - this is a tasty hop bomb ass kicker of a DIPA, i'm typically not sold on many of the Mikkeller experiments, but this is a winner

4.5/5  rDev +15.7%

3.8/5  rDev -2.3%

Pours great, nice marmalade-orange body with khaki foam that settles to sudsy big-bubbled patches and stringy lace. Smells of juicy citrus, deep caramelly malts and resinous pine. A hint of cotton candy and earthy mustiness. Taste is of considerable malt, caramel and honey covered biscuits with big juicy grapefruit and mandarin oranges. Deep and round, with prominent hop resinous mouthcoating. Sharp, yet dull, round and raspy at the same time. Full and smooth with well balanced carbonation struggling to get through.

Resin quality stands out and clings to tongue, malt is rich with some flavor of age on it, rounding and deepening. overall not quite as bitter as I'd expected, but still a huge and intense malty IPA, notably well balanced, but without much to make it stand out as unique against so many others.

4.24/5  rDev +9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

330ml bottle poured into a 16oz tulip. Here goes my first DIPA.

A - Just under a finger of bubbly orange-tan head. Hazy, burnt-orange hue. Head quickly dissipates to a thin ring. A little disappointed at the head & lacing here, especially after my last brew by Mikkeller (Mikkeller 10) which left gobs of lacing everywhere. The body is much darker and more cloudy than I expected, a definite departure from the standard IPA style; at least the IPA style I know.

S - Massive aroma of juicy, tropical-fruit hops. Some light caramel malt floats around in the background, but this ale is all hop upfront. Lots of citrus, namely pineapple and grapefruit. Very inviting. As it warms, I detect a solid orange presence as well.

T - The first thing that hits me is juicy, fruity hops. Tons of them. The hop character here doesn't wait until the finish to make an appearance, which is what I'm used to. This ale packs a wallop right off the bat that is just delicious. With no freshness date on the bottle, and this bottle being the last one on the shelf, I was slightly worried that this ale might be past it's prime. Although I'm not familiar with the style, I think I can put those worries to rest. Huge citrusy hop character, but the bitterness doesn't totally destroy my palate (something I expected to happen with my first DIPA). Light caramel malt pops up in the finish and aftertaste, and helps balance the overall flavor without getting in the way of the well-crafted hop profile. The alcohol content is masked well, especially for a brew at nearly 10% ABV.

M - Medium body with some weight to it for sure. Carbonation is kept quite low. The bittering hop character lingers for a while in the finish, but doesn't become too much. Slight alcohol warmth is felt, but kept at bay very well. The body feels a little syrupy, and I'm not sure if this is typical of the style of not. I don't particularly care for this, but it doesn't detract away from the brew too much.

D - I came into the review expecting this beer to blow my socks off the brutal bitterness and at the very least some detectable alcohol content. But what I got was a whole nother beast. Both fruity and piney hop presence dominated upfront, giving this ale a flavor profile unlike any other I've ever experienced before. I'm happy that I can say I enjoyed my introduction to the world of DIPAs, something I can't say about IPAs. All in all, I would say this ale was worth the ridiculous one-off price, and if it wasn't so damn pricey I would happily revisit it down the road.

4.79/5  rDev +23.1%

This dipa is like a fertile and enchanted forest. Alas, it is quite expensive for just a single 12 oz bottle so I probably will not be buying this except for special occasions, though I do intend to revisit this one someday.

Poured a nice rocky head into a pint glass. It dwindled quickly, but it kept a film over the beer the whole time with fresh bubbles from the lively carbonation. The color in my lighting was a murky burnt orange. This beer has one of the most complex smells I've ever gotten from a double IPA. It starts with a malty undertone from which bursts of mountainous fauna scents emerge. The blend of the hops they use does wonderful things, I can't really believe it, but there it is.

Tastes go from incredibly bitter on the tip of the tongue, to citrus and malt in the back and man do they play nicely together. The malt and hop assault don't seem to wane even after the beer has been drank, which has happened faster than I have anticipated...that 9.75% hid well.

This beer is fan-****ing-tastic.

4.25/5  rDev +9.3%

4.2/5  rDev +8%

Dark amber pour with medium sized head. Really nice lacing on my glass. Pine, citrus, and flower aroma. Flavor is orange and grapefruit; smooth and creamy. An incredible Double IPA; would love to try this great brew on tap somewhere. A great beer to enjoy!

I Beat YoU from Mikkeller ApS