1000 IBU | Mikkeller ApS

Mikkeller ApS
Denmark
mikkeller.dk

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Brewed at De Proefbrouwerij.

Added by Nickls on 03-16-2010

3.5/5  rDev -9.6%

4.5/5  rDev +16.3%

4.5/5  rDev +16.3%

4.24/5  rDev +9.6%

No bottle date. Picked this up from a store that said they had just gotten it.... So possibly fresh. Pours a light brown color. Much darker than most DIPAs I've had. The smell is amazing. Piney, floral, and loaded full of bitter aroma. The taste is actually a bit too much; I can def tell why this is named 1000 Ibu. Over all this is a pretty good beer. The malt tends to even the brew out a bit more than what I feel most "American" IPAs have going for them. Good brew!

2.5/5  rDev -35.4%

3.32/5  rDev -14.2%

Poured a dark non-translucent brown that had a good amount of sediment. It poured very little head, almost nothing. It definitely smells of hops but is also very malty as well as piney with a hint of green tea. It is very bitter. It is also quite syruppy and slightly boozy. The taste leaves a dry, bitter taste, reminiscint of chewing on an unused tea bag. I was reeled in by the name and although it's a decent beer, I probably will not be revisiting this one.

2.25/5  rDev -41.9%

4.17/5  rDev +7.8%

The green 12.7 bottle was corked, caged, and wrapped in paper. thus preventing any possibility of skunking in this hop monster. Of course the first thing that grabbed my attention was the 1000 IBU name and claim to fame. When poured first, the beer looked murky brown with haze due to small particles. As I poured in the final few ounces, out came chucks of yeast, that stayed in suspension. The head atop looked very creamy and craggy. While the look didn't scream DIPA, the smell from the moment of uncorking, up to the first sip certainly did. The aroma was very spicy and piney. The first taste as bitter as they come, with my teeth feeling the hop acids eating into them. Very tongue tingling and somewhat minty in flavor as well. The malt was simple and unobtrusive. The finish was herbal and bitter. The beer felt a bit thinner than a typical DIPA to me, and lacked that certain stickiness I see in some of the best ones. I liked the idea, and there were no obvious flaws here, but I would have liked to see some more interesting malt bill.

4.05/5  rDev +4.7%

I remember when I heard they were getting a keg of this at my bar and I couldn't wait for them to finally put it on. As a huge hop head I couldn't wait for the experience that was to come. I know that the mouth can't actually perceive 1000 ibus, but this gets you pretty close to what that experience would be like. Makes your head want to explode with hoppy bitterness.

The beer pours a hazy beige with a nice creamy head. Some lacing, but not overly impressive.

The nose is of course hoppy. Alot of pine resin and hop oil coming through. I can't really smell the malts on this, but I may have inhaled too deeply and burned my olfactory sensors out on all the hops. lol.

The taste was definitly hoppy. Pine hops,a ton of hop oils and some alcohol solvency, but not much. The beer finishes with some citrusy notes. The hops overpower everything in this beer. You couldn't start your night off with this, or you wouldn't be able to taste anything else the rest of the night. There isn't enough water to cleanse the palate from being hop fried... but what do you expect from a beer called 1000 IBU's?

3.45/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Pours a brown amber colour with beige floaties. Head is uneventful with light cloud and nice sticky but thin lace. Not sure about the floaties but otherwise good.

Mega-hoppy nose, with lots of citrus notes; big lemony aroma with grapefruit, rosewater and sherbet. Not much else to it apart from hops, but decent. Not quite as pungent as I'd have though, which after drinking the 1000IBU Light I'm quite happy about, actually.

Taste starts tangy with hops that develop quickly and surely to produce massive hop-bomb palate. Bit of malt underlying provides welcome balance without being really noticeable on the flavour profile. Massively bitter beginning midway with decent floral notes, lots of citrus - lemon and grapefruit, sherbet, rosewater and slight ashy pull with deep bitterness. Too many hops still so I don't really love it, it's a bit overblown, but it's surprisingly drinkable for its big, aggressive bitterness.

Full body at the front but lots of dry pull on the back from the alpha acids. OK.

An experiment, more than anything, but having had the 1000 IBU light first I can safely say don't bother with that unbalanced mess and go with this, this is quite enjoyable for its extremeness.

1000 IBU from Mikkeller ApS