Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

10 | Mikkeller ApS

3.85/5
Very Good

Mikkeller ApS
Denmark
mikkeller.dk

Style: American IPA

Brewed at De Proefbrouwerij.

Added by TMoney2591 on 05-21-2010

2.43/5  rDev -36.9%

Poured from bottle into pint glass

A: slightly cloudy golden orange

S: Not much there, some piny citrus but unless I'm stuffed up, not picking up much

T: kind of a let down. Was picking up a dry bread like malt, sharper, bitter finish that just kind of leaves you. Not impressed at all. As I continue to drink it, it's almost like I;m drinking a Bud.

M: Dry, not much too it.

D: not that great. I'm halfway through and already looking forward to my next beer. Not a drain pour, but man am I disappointed, especially for the price!

2.64/5  rDev -31.4%

33cl brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a generic hefeweissbier glass in Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live.

A: Pours a four finger head of decent cream, pretty good thickness, and good retention. Colour is a semitransparent gold.

Sm: Slight floral bittering hops is all me broken nose picks up. All apologies, lads. The aroma is mild in strength.

T: Floral bittering hops are deep and flavourful, if simple. The balance disregards the final 20% of the body, but what is there is pleasant. It's nicely built, but lacks significant quality.

Mf: Smooth and wet, suiting the flavour slightly.

Dr: Very drinkable, but limited in quality. A high price for a mediocre beer.

2.8/5  rDev -27.3%

A: Somewhat murky orange color, over carbonated, slightly cloudy. I would have like the head to be a little more tightly packed as well. Decent lacing though

S: Very earthy smelling with notes of fresh cut grass to start. Some soapiness as well rhat is a bit flowery

T: Again very grassy tasting with some bitter pine notes at the end. It is also quite soapy as well. Its not bad but just a bit too flowery

M: Pretty accurate for the style, not to heavy, but not too light. there is a bit of a watery quality however there is a nice lingering bitter note.

D: I was quite disappointed this one. its not hard to drink but its also not exactly what i look for in an IPA. this was way to perfumy and soapy tasting.

2.86/5  rDev -25.7%

Pours slightly hazed, copper/amber body with orangeish tint, topped by compact off-white head that clings to the walls and slowly recedes to form a stable veil over the entire surface.
Aroma is very fruity (either from esters or hops), with heavy, sugary sweet caramel and toast malts dominating over the subdued hops with prevalent citrusy character and some woodsy, spicy notes. Sweet malty body that is milder than the aroma suggested embraces woodsy and somewhat muted citrusy hop flavor with accompanying bitterness. Medium bodied with moderate carbonation and medium dry finish with lingering bitterness. A sugary-fruity-malty mess with none of the 10 advertised hops standing out from the crowd. Besides, considering the 10 various hops input there's not much flavor-variety in here. Numerous participants at the party do not necessarily provide good entertainment. (330 ml, freshness date 24. March 2012, into tulip).

2.89/5  rDev -24.9%

Strange taste it's a bit bitter

2.93/5  rDev -23.9%

I didn't hate this beer but I won't seek it out in the future. It has a light amber color and is a little cloudy. Appearance never bothers me, nor do I get excited for the most part.

My biggest problem with this beer is the high carbonation. I really don't care for that.

It tastes fine but reminds me a lot of a Homebrew we just made. I get a little turned off by that since it's not something special so I really don't want to pay for it again.

3.08/5  rDev -20%

Had this on tap at House of 1000 Beers in New Kensington, PA. I'll preface this by saying that it was listed as a Belgian IPA on their draft list, so some of my comments reflect that premise, but I stand by the scores I gave it.

Poured into a Leffe stem: Cloudy, orange-pink with just a ring of head & a thin dusting across the surface.

Very little aroma, but I get a small amount of grapefruit, passion fruit, melon - sort of dull, low acidity fruits.

Fruity characteristics carry through into the taste, with more grapefruit & something like Juicy Fruit. A bracing, pithy bitterness finishes up & lasts into the aftertaste. Again, sort of dull flavors, & then bitter. Pretty unremarkable.

Medium-full-bodied, firms with a good swish, a little heat.

Eh, nothing especially good or bad about it, just seems like everything was blunted. This may not have been the freshest by the time I got it. Given my preface, I think I was probably giving it the benefit of the doubt by reviewing it as a Belgian IPA - if I'd thought I was getting an American IPA & received this, I probably would've been a bit harsher.

3.09/5  rDev -19.7%

Thanks to freud for this one! 12oz brown glass pry-top bottle. Cap dated 24/03012.

Appearance is hazy amber brown with some creamy off-white head. Nose is somewhat muted and bready, maybe a little biscuit malt and some faint earthy hops. Palate is a bit of a mess. Lots of aggressive hops all fighting over center stage. Malt gets bashed around by the astringent bitterness.

Not my favorite Mikk IPA. Worth a go though to see what 10 hops battling it out would taste like.

3.3/5  rDev -14.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a hazy copper brown with a beige quarter inch head that leaves a rim of foam.

Grapefruit, resin, pine, and caramel malt comprise the aroma, which is fairly bready.

Toasted, bready caramel malt forms the backbone of the flavor, with notes of citrus pith, skunk, and a hint of grapefruit, and a slightly bitter finish. Hop character seems a bit muddled and dirty, on the earthy side.

Body is on the heavy side of moderate, with moderate carbonation. There's a bit of warmth at the finish.

Overall, a disappointing example of the style. Malt almost tastes burnt, likely due to the addition of brown malt. Hops are not as clean and bright as I hoped.

10 from Mikkeller ApS