Black Hole (Peat Whiskey Edition)
Mikkeller ApS

Black Hole (Peat Whiskey Edition)Black Hole (Peat Whiskey Edition)
Beer Geek Stats: | Print Shelf Talker
From:
Mikkeller ApS

Denmark
Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Okay
Black Hole (Peat Whiskey Edition)Black Hole (Peat Whiskey Edition)
Notes: Brewed at De Proefbrouwerij.
View: Beers
Reviews: 98 | Ratings: 171 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by milliCAN:
1.25/5  rDev -56.3%

4.35/5  rDev +52.1%

I am a HUGE Islay malt fan so here goes nothing...

Pop the cork and immediately am met with a great peat smoke smell. Pours an inky black with minimal light brown head. Smells of overwhelmingly peat moss, smoke, ashtrays, slight iodine and band aids, with a background that is very sweet smelling. Smells like a damp unexplored cave on a rocky cliff in Scotland.

Taste is more ashtray licking flavors. Huge peat moss, smoke, some iodine, roastiness, a big amount of sweet dark fruits (figs/raisins) and currants keep trying to poke their way through but get beat back down by the smoky peat that grips the palate and stays with it...for a WHILE. It's a bit much but a Islay Scotch lover, it is damn tasty.

Mouthfeel is a bit thinner than I had expected it to be. Not much carbonation and dry finish. This is BY FAR a slllooow sipper. Not just based on the ABV% but because of the tremendously overbearing flavors that stick with you long after the sip is finished. This would perfectly compliment some good BBQ and even a good bold cigar.

WARNING: This beer is NOT for anyone who does not enjoy Islay region Scotch Whiskies like Lagavulin, Laphroiag, Ardbeg, or even Talisker 10.

Chilled bottle into a glass. I had a conundrum here: I really wanted to drink this beer so I could review it (I knew the Black Hole series was an abysmal failure after tasting the Rum version), but I didn't want to pay for it and financially encourage Mikkeller. My friend resolved the problem by buying it and sharing with me.

A: Pours a black body with tan head. No retention or lace.

S: On the merits of the aroma alone, I'm tempted to propose a new rating strategy. Instead of awarding stars for excellence, award black holes for suck. They are, after all, a singularity with massive gravitation. It would make a nice pun, it would be physically consistent, and it would provide a way to explain just what the f*** is going on here. This is solventy, like sniffing a dry-erase marker, Testor model paint, and burnt rubber. You know the aroma you get when your vacuum cleaner gets stuck and the belt burns? That's Mikkeller Black Hole Whiskey. I award this five black holes of suck.

T: Ashy, chemically, putrid, burning, painful. This is so bad I can't even give it real flavor characteristics; I just have to describe emotions. Fear. Anxiety. Sadness. Disgust. Contempt. Anger. Disappointment. Suffering. Shame. Neglect.

M: Boozy, chemically, thin, harsh. Seems infected and over-barrelly at the same time. Just covering all the bases of failure.

D: It was just plain insulting to a) release this, b) charge money for this, c) charge a LOT of money for this. One of the most superlative beer failures I've ever drank. WHY ARE PEOPLE GIVING THIS As AND Bs?!?

2.91/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

3.41/5  rDev +19.2%

poured into a snifter.

Pours black as night, absolutely no light gets through. Tan head rises up quickly, then dissipates slowly.

Aromas of peaty scotch whiskey. Everything else is kinda lost in the peat. Not that I mind the peat, but not much balance in the aromas.

Roasty and peaty. But mostly peaty.

Mouthfeel is prickly carbonation. Medium bodied. Filling, this is a sipping beer for sure.

Drinkability is good. this is something to enjoy slowly, but only a bottle at a time, maybe to share. I could not drink more than one at a sitting. But it would be a nice late night beer on the patio with a cigar.

1.25/5  rDev -56.3%

1.55/5  rDev -45.8%

375ml fake corked and caged bottle poured into tulip 10/7/11

A dark body with a little cola hue at the edges, hard pour gets only a thin film of dark tan foam leaving a few specks of lace

S rotting sea water beside a road just after being paved with a big blast of grandpa's cabin with a bit of a tar and burnt rubber and overpowering booze, burning my nostrils, it literary hurts me to smell this beer

T there's a little coffee and bakers chocolate on top of what I smell with a heavy blast of pipe tobacco, not as much rotting sea shore so that's a plus, some whiskey soaked ashtray however is an improvement over the smell

M a little silky and enough carbonation to give it some life but the booze burn is brutal and the aftertaste, oh dear and it's measured in days not seconds

O its a drain pour for sure but I found myself smelling and sipping out of morbid curiosity, before I knew it the booze hit me and I mistook it for only terrible

I like the peated Black version big time and I liked Black Hole but this is up there with Bud Light Lime in terms of awful, props for trying

2.32/5  rDev -18.9%

Pours a dark brown color with some ruby clarity through the body. Lighter brown is noted along the edges. A thin khaki head appears care of a violent pour that produces a scant amount of large bubbles. Very minor spotty lace sticks to the glass.

The aroma of this brew is like moss. A little smokey like cured meat mixed with burnt rubber and plastic. Completely appalling aroma when mixed with the solvent touch of alcohol. This brew smells like the worst attributes of scotch but exaggerated.

The taste is moss, mildew, smoke, dirt and earthy. Stale coffee and burning char-like alcohol. Lightly fusel, dry roasted bitter chocolate and more coffee. This beer turned my stomach which is sad because I enjoy both scotch and smoked beer. This was not a good combination.

It is medium bodied with a light feel of low carbonation. Very solvent and just not that good. I would not drink this again. The burnt rubber and plastic-like mildew and smoke formed a very unpleasant experience. Hands down one of the worst barrel aged beers I have sampled. The group of us who sat down to enjoy all of the barrel aged black hole offerings threw in the towel and couldn't finish our pours of this.

4.2/5  rDev +46.9%

Poured from a 375ml/12.7oz bottle into a small sampling glass at a bar (not the best glass, but it wasn't my choice).

A: Color is dark black with a tan, almost brown head. Heavy lacing.

S: Wow, this is intense. Strong earthy, smokey musty, leathery, peaty smells jump out of the glass. Some faint dark fruit, coffee, tobacco, vanilla, caramel, and other woody flavors are all present as the smell develops as the beer warms. But the intensity stays throughout.

T: The taste really follows the smell, although the alcohol really starts to show in the taste. This is 13%+ and there's no hiding it. The smokey, peaty flavors hit hard up front. Some coffee and chocolate malts show up more promimently in mid-taste. The finish is warm and long. And my long, I'm talking several minutes. This beer was split four ways and each three ounce pour lasted at least 45 minutes.

M: Mouthfeel is big, smooth, and a little on the oily side. Alcohol is a little on the harsh side, but what did you expect.

D: This is good, very interesting, but not something I would drink all the time. I'm not generally a big fan of the smokey, peaty whiskeys and I found the flavors a little too strong. During the same session, we also tasted KBS and I found the bourbon flavors more enjoyable. Just a personal taste thing.

3.75/5  rDev +31.1%

Disclaimer: Before you read this review, I feel I should mention that I am a big whiskey fan. I love bourbon and scotch and that definitely affects my review.

A - This beer pours a very dark brown color that does not let any light pass through. There is a 2-figner dark tan head resting on top. The head has pretty good retention, and there is some scattered lace left behind on the glass.

S - The nose has a good amount of roasted malt and a large peat whiskey presence. There are some other aromas of coffee, chocolate, wood, caramel, and vanilla. I read a lot of peoples reviews where they slammed the nose of this. I however, found it to be quite nice.

T - The taste pretty much follows the nose. It starts off with some roasted malt and burnt smokiness. There is quite a bit of whiskey flavor as well. Also I am getting some flavors of coffee, dark chocolate, caramel, vanilla, wood, and a little bit of soy sauce. The finish leaves some lingering roasted malt, smoke, and whiskey behind on the palate.

M - This has a pretty full body and the carbonation is on the lower side. It goes down nicely and has a pretty smooth feel to it. There is some roasted bitterness and there is a little bit of graininess. There is a good amount of alcohol warmth on the back end.

O - I think this has pretty good drinkability. It is a sipper, but I enjoyed it. Like I said above, I am a whiskey fan and I really liked the barrel aging presence in this one. This is another nice addition to the Black Hole line-up, and I am glad I got the chance to try it. I recommend this one, unless you don't like whiskey. Again, If you top not like whiskey don't waste your money.

1.5/5  rDev -47.6%

2.43/5  rDev -15%

Poured into a Bruery tulip.

Body is pitch black with a one inch beige head. Dies down to a cap of foam on top. Some lacing left behind. Really good retention for the alcohol and barrel treatment.

Smells strongly of peat, whiskey, chocolate pudding, and some oak. Nice and inviting.

Tastes strongly of peat and whiskey up front. Some weird dark fruits. Lots of smoke and char. Some coffee notes. Char is a little over the top. Some notes of bittersweet chocolate. Lots of oak. The char and peat are over the top and distracting.

Mouthfeel is a tad thin for the style. It's pretty hot. Carbonation is a bit high.

Honestly, don't know if this is gonna be a drain pour, but it looks like that's where it is headed.

2.39/5  rDev -16.4%

Served in a Buffalo Bills shaker pint glass.

I figured I'd break this one out while we brewed yesterday. It pours a sleek obsidian topped by a minor bit of tan foam. The nose is a blast of scotch and fusels, with some mild roasted malts complacently languishing in the background. Even a small whiff burns with the o'erwhelming whiskey. The taste holds notes of roasted malts, molasses, old oak, lots o' scotch, dark chocolate, iron, and char. Things don't seem quite right here, but it's a major step-up from the smell. The body is a hefty-ish medium, with a light carbonation, a slightly watery feel, and a dry finish. Overall, this thing is just too thin and too harsh with the scotch. I'm slightly positively ambivalent toward peat malt scotch (meaning I'm on the fence, but generally warm to it), but I don't think the two worlds (scotch and stout) melded very well in this particular brew.

2.53/5  rDev -11.5%

12.7oz bottle thanks to finewinemike

Fridge temp into a snifter

A- Just like the regular Black hole it pours a solid jet black motor oil with no head at all just some big off brown bubbles. Leaves some solid spots of lacing but what really shines are the legs left on the side of the glass.

S- Strong smoke, bacon, and burnt coffee are undeniably the most dominate here. Behind those notes are slight chocolate notes and whiskey heat. Other than the smoke there's not to much barrel aromas coming through. Definitely charred this barrel a little bit to much hah

T- Liquid smoke and salty over BBQ'd meat. If you can get beyond that you get a strong whiskey flavor and alcohol. Not to much else unfortunately.

M- Hard to tell when I cringe every sip. Low carbonation and a strong after taste that doesn't go away.

Overall I'm surprised by this, usually Mikkeller is on his game but this shouldn't have been released in my opinion.

SkÅL!

3.73/5  rDev +30.4%

12.7oz into chouffe tulip.

A- Nice roasty dark brown, khaki head, 1cm with significant staying power and moderate lacing. Really impressive for 13+%.

S- Coffee, charred barrels, whisky, caramel/molasses, dark fruit.

T- The ongoing theme as this is my third BA Black Hole- barrel char. Nice whisky notes- smoky peat, some caramel, good flavors. Vanilla/clove spice, smokiness, some residual sweetness but nothing cloying.

M- Richer of the BA Black Holes.. the smoky peat gives this impenetrable depth. Really something noteworthy, I'm double-taking this beer. Wow. Rich, flavorful, layered... splendid.

D- Nose-to-Nose w/ the wine barrel for different reasons. The smoky peat make this one enjoyable.

3.5/5  rDev +22.4%

1.38/5  rDev -51.7%

375ml bottle into a Portsmouth tulip.

A: Jet black with a good looking two finger tan head. A soft pillow of foam hangs with good retention forming a blanket over the beer. It left behind a bunch of sticky lacing as well for good measure.

S: Good god. This is perhaps the worst smelling beer I have ever encountered by epic proportions. Burnt band aids and acrid rubber come to mind. It smells like my grndparents medicine cabinet gone horribly wrong.

T: At this point I am really hesitant to even taste this thing. I manage to coax myself into a sip and it is the closest thing I have ever consumed that could compare to a junk yard bonfire, crazy toxic and charred.

M: Mouth feel is OK I guess, but what does it matter at this point?

O: This is one of worst beers I have ever tasted. Seek this out if your our into complete masochism of the palate.

2.03/5  rDev -29%

12.7oz corked and caged bottle served in an oversized wineglass.

pours an inky black tone with a minimal tan-colored head that soon dissipates, leaving a few sudsy bubbles on the surface, which may be due to a more aggressive than normal pour; not much lacing to speak of.

whisky is clearly the tour de force in the nose. it is big and bold, almost to the extent that other flavors are dwarfed, but i do get some muted coffee and roasted malt, maybe a touch of bitter chocolate. had the whiskey been toned down a bit i think this would be a really intriguing (in a good way) aroma... still, not altogether off-putting; i'm game for a taste.

oh momma, this is disgusting. whisky just overpowers the flavor profile and owns the palate; minimal traces of the coffee and roasted malts - no vanilla - but i do get... soy sauce...? maybe a whisky drinker or chinese food enthusiast would appreciate it; for my money i'd prefer my bbl-aging to be imparted with more subtlety. speaking of my money, there's an hour of work down the drain. literally.

mouthfeel is avera- man, this beer is actually giving me a headache.

Black Hole (Peat Whiskey Edition) from Mikkeller ApS