Black Hole (Red Wine Edition) | Mikkeller ApS

Black Hole (Red Wine Edition)Black Hole (Red Wine Edition)

Mikkeller ApS
Denmark
mikkeller.dk

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Brewed at De Proefbrouwerij.

Added by ShogoKawada on 05-26-2010

4.27/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I thought I would open this beer on its three year anniversary. I have had it twice before 6 months ago and a year ago. Lets see whats new.

A: Pours almost a pitch black with an incredible mocha brown/tan head that has some staying power, awesome lacing! The head slowly fades in around 2-3 mins to a ring around the edges with some clouds in the middle.

S: Wow as always! some oak up front with a musty red wine scent. The coffee has come out a little more as I feel the honey/vanilla has subsided. There is a very nice sweet scent from the honey and vanilla, mostly honey. There is a slight booze scent but not overwhelming

T: F-ing perfect! upfront with honey oak sweetness with an almost tannin bitterness on the finish, from the coffee. It does not leave your mouth dry though. The coffee is not so strong on the palate as on the nose, which I like. The vanilla and honey really shine in your mouth. I cant get enough of this beer as it is very easy drinking for 13.1%. Age has done this one well. I have one more, do I dare wait another year?

M: thick to medium body which makes it easy to drink but coats your mouth well. The carbonation is spot on and not overwhelming.

O: I love this beer as much now as the two times before and it has held up so well especially with the carbonation and flavors. I wish I could have had it fresh to really tell how far it has come. overall, I have never been sure why people dont rave about this beer. An 86? like come on. It cant just be me?

4.3/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

bottle from greens in ATL. pours with no head. I was concerned as I pulled the "cork" out and there was no pop. I am not a fan of uncarbonated beer. I poured and I was let down more... then as I finished... something magical happened... I saw some tiny bubbles protrude. yay.
smells like a big stout with a wee bit of sour on it... I dont get much from the wine aging, except the tiny bit of sour.
taste is interesting. there is a tiny bit of wine on the finish, but it is otherwise lost. but... somehow it makes the black hole thicker and better. The original is thin for my taste... this is much thicker. As I continue to drink it, the wine is lost completely. All that is left is the roasted and smooth lactic taste. better than the regular for sure. if the wine turns you off, dont let it. one if the best mikkellers out there. Unfortunately, I have not had the pleasure of trying the other "aged" series.

4.32/5  rDev +14.9%

12.7oz bottle poured into a Duvel tulip.

This is my second foray into this series. The first was the Scotch Barrel Aged abomination - quite possibly my most disappointing brew of 2010. I'll try not to let that mishap influence this review.

Pours a luscious pitch black with a tighty packed half inch foam head. Looks great.

Aromas of chocolate, roast, strong red wine, and a very slight hint of funk. Complex and inviting.

Taste is equally complex. Big bitter chocolate and dark roast flavors in the front, a light sweetness and heavy red wine notes in the finish. The flavors mesh beautifully into one of the most unique barrell aged stouts I've had to date.

The mouth is silky smooth and coats the palate well. Finishes pretty dry for an Imperial Stout.

This beer drinks very well. I'd love to stock up if it weren't so expensive, but I am glad I picked this one up. I'm puzzled as to how the Scotch Barrell version could be such a mess and this one could be so elegant. Oh well, this is one to try!

4.32/5  rDev +14.9%

Picked this up at an awesome beer store outside Ghent, Dranken Geers. Pitch black pour with a one finger caramel colored head that fades pretty quickly with great lacing. Tons of dark roasty chocolate in the nose along with hints of oak, red wine, espresso and alcohol. The smell really draws you in as it gets way more intense as it warms. The taste was much the same with bitter cocoa and dark chocolate at the forefront. As it warms, this beer really comes alive with flavor. The roasty chocolate is soon challenged by a tart, dry red wine component as well as hints of burnt coffee, oak, and vanilla. Solid, sweet roasted malt backbone balances it out nicely. The mouthfeel is smooth as silk, especially considering this is 13%. Really nice dry bitter finish and only a slight warming from the alcohol make this a really scary drinkable big beer. I'm not understanding where the B rating for this beer is coming from. This is one awesome, drinkable beer with a lot of character. The only thing that might make me not get more is the steep price tag. Other than that, another gem from Mikkeller!

4.32/5  rDev +14.9%

It's hard to even know what to expect with something like this, as I've never had a coffee stout aged in red wine barrels. Well, I will certainly find out. Poured into a small snifter. Minor, soft carbonation but it's there. Like the regular Black Hole, looks like, well, a black hole.

Oh, that is a nice aroma. I don't get a ton of red wine aromas, but I do get big chocolate, coffee, and wood.

I'd had regular Black Hole, and it was quite sweet. With that in mind, is this really the same base beer? Because this is actually on the dry side. Much, much drier than I would expect of a 13.1% stout. Small honey sweetness up front, but the wood dries it out quickly. Unsweetened bakers' chocolate and a lot of wood. I get the vinous character in the finish, aftertaste and feel, it comes off as a dry, woodsy Merlot.

It does feel like exactly the big beer that it is. Creamy, rich, heavy on the palate. A definite sipper, but not a difficult sipper. Tasty stuff.

4.33/5  rDev +15.2%

Blinded review alongside the rest of the barrel aged Black Hole lineup.

A – Black with dark brown highlights. Creamy, dark mocha head with great retention and lace.

S – Sharp alcohol with a dry fruitiness. Bitter cocoa, raisins, almond extract and white chocolate.

T – Sweet caramel, raisins and tanniny grape skins open the profile along side a bright, but sweet vanilla booze. The center drops off a cliff of dryness leaving arid ghosts of wood, alcohol and grapes through the finish.

M – Super creamy with a dry, woody backend. Full body. Low carbonation.

O – Complex and refined, the best of the barrel aged lot in my opinion. [blinded guess was red wine]

4.35/5  rDev +15.7%

Poured in to Duvel tulip.

A - Poured dark brown, settled black with one finger of foamy light brown head.

S -Roasted malts, coffee, chocolate, some cherry and oak in the background.

T - Bitter dark roasted chocolate up front giving way to oak, vanilla and dark fruit. I don't specifically get the red wine but there are some subtle dark fruit notes present that add a nice complexity to this palate.

M - Medium body, light carbonation. A nice chew. A touch viscous at times. A nice mouth feel.

4.35/5  rDev +15.7%

Date: 06/01/2010
Type: Expensive 12.7oz. Bottle
Vintage: 2010
Glassware: Portsmouth Tulip

Poured a dark black in color w/ a bubbly one finger head that left heavy lacing on the glass. Appearance was awesome! Nose was of roasted malts, dark fruits, and wine in your face. Taste was of chocolate roasted notes, a touch of coffee and vanilla, with a finish of bitter hop bite and vinous cabernet/merlot wine. Mouthfeel was medium bodied w/ nice amounts of carbonation. Flavors really hung on the palate, especially the wine characteristic. I poished off a 12.7oz. bottle w/ ease. Overall, I really enjoyed this brew and am looking forward to tasting the other Black Hole variations. Great job by Mikkeller!

4.42/5  rDev +17.6%

Shared with friends at an afternoon Saturday tasting! Sampled alongside the bourbon and rum versions. This was the best in terms of complexity and most likely in terms of overall score.

The appearance, however, was not the best of the bunch, probably the worst. Black opaque beer with some red highlights but absolutely no head retention. It's gone daddy gone.

Smell is the first indication we're in for a treat. There's a ton of red wine mixed in with the roasted malt and coffee and chocolate notes. There's a great amount of red grapes, currants, and even some tannins. This is really layered and deep.

That continues into the taste. There's a ton of wine, of course, with red grapes and spiciness. Also, the vanilla and honey make an appearance. Finally, the roast contributes some chocolate and coffee. This is complex and wonderful.

The mouthfeel is a touch thin, but it's amazing nonetheless. Good carbonation and, although the alcohol is noticeable, the flavors go a long way to covering it up. Overall, this rocked and was the one of the series I wish I had more of - I could drink tons more of this, one of the best wine barrel treatments I've ever had.

4.5/5  rDev +19.7%

I blind tasted this one during a PINT tasting session in 'de Mug' (A Dutch pub in Middelburg).

A - A brown foam on top of a pitch black beer.

S - A nice coffee and chocolate scent.

T - A delightful coffee, chocolate, oak and peat mixture. The beer is a little too sweet upfront.

M - A creamy and thick syrup with a nice bitter finish. The carbonation was low to medium.

O - Terrific! Worth buying, having, trading, etc. A solid beer.

4.5/5  rDev +19.7%

Served from the bottle into a De Molen stemgoblet at Olbutikken in Copenhagen. Best before date is 09/05/2015 (i.e. May 9th 2015). Reviewed from extensive notes. Expectations were high because this is me favourite brewery.

A: Pours a 2.5 finger head of beautiful tan colour, amazing cream, and brilliant thickness. Colour is a solid black. Nontransparent. Appealing.

Sm: Vinegar, cream, toffee, chocolate, and some indistinct sweetness. A mild strength aroma. Some middle-of-the-road raspberry fruit ester hops are present.

T: Amazing, with the notes from the nose accompanying red wine hints. Wonderful subtle grape overtones are complemented by the cream undertones. Nothing short of incredible. The hops are layered, not meshed together. Very complex. The mastery is in the exquisite balance of grape esters with the stout notes (cream, toffee, and so forth). Very well built. How did they achieve such balance?

Mf: Smooth and wet, with thickness replacing coarseness to coax out the flavours, a necessity at this high an ABV. Usually stouts rely on coarseness to slow the flavour for optimal enjoyment, but this one has so much flavour that it doesn't need to. Not syrupy, but strong. Very complementary of the flavours.

Dr: Amazingly drinkable for the style and ABV. No alcohol comes through, and she tastes amazing. I'd have another for sure. The price (94 DKK at Olbutikken) makes her best suited for a special occasion, but lads - she's a keeper.

A (4.50)

4.53/5  rDev +20.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Rich, smoky aroma has an overtone of apple brandy and nutty and caramel hints. It pours a dark opaque sable with a fine-bubbled, almost velvety tan head that leaves a fair amount of lacing. Wine and brandy dominate the smoky coffee taste, which has nutty, caramel and unsweet chocolate hints. Lively, full-bodied texture is quite fizzy and leaves behind a strong tingle and a dry red wine finish.

4.55/5  rDev +21%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

In a bit of a hurry and this is fresh out of my cold fridge. Geez, it's really good, so I can't even hardly imagine how good it'd be at proper temp. Poured with a thick, foamy, fine, light brown head that lasts and some lace. Color is an absolutely opaque black brown. Aroma is roasty, wine, ripe fruit, cocoa. Flavor is like nose with some lingering bitterness and tang on the back of the tongue. Alcohol is apparent almost immediately. Sweetness comes and goes. Body is perfect, likewise carbonation. Finish is very long and like flavor. Be a great digestive, perhaps with a cigar.

Black Hole (Red Wine Edition) from Mikkeller ApS