Black Hole (Bourbon Edition) | Mikkeller ApS

good
Black Hole (Bourbon Edition)Black Hole (Bourbon Edition)

Mikkeller ApS
Denmark
mikkeller.dk

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Brewed at De Proefbrouwerij.

Added by gford217 on 05-27-2010

1.2/5  rDev -68%

Chilled bottle into a glass. Thanks to Nanoslug for bringing this.

I don't have anything constructive to say about this beer, other than "at least it's not the Black Hole Scotch Whiskey." This has a similar electrical fire / burning rubber smell, but instead of being peaty, it's obviously bourbon-dominated. It's quite hot, with a charred, slick mouthfeel that simultaneously reminds me of fires, burnt rubber, and oil spills.

Again, the equivalent of an $18 bomber for this is a complete ripoff for a beer that shouldn't even have been released in the first place.

1.5/5  rDev -60%

1.5/5  rDev -60%

Pours the deadest and flattest looking beer I've ever seen. Very watery. IT does however produce a decent 1 finger head when poured very aggressively.

A very sweet and somewhat bad nose. There's a lot of coffee, bourbon, and vanilla, but the malt just doesn't smell great.

Very interesting tasting stuff. Almost has a spicy note to it. Tastes like vanilla and cold coffee with bourbon and then an odd after taste. Oddly enough this is an improvement on the normal black hole.

This beer isn't something I want to drink. It is hot from the alcohol, the body and mouth are just terrible.

I wanted to give the black hole beers one more chance. Well sorry guys but another HUGE failure. Maybe I'm alone but simply avoid these beers like the plague.

1.78/5  rDev -52.5%

Epic tasting, many edition of Black Hole opened.

Pours black as a dead dog under a tree in the late hours of night. Nose is kinda nice, roasty smoke and fire, a bit of booze there and a nice anise hint.

Taste though, its grotesque. Fire, booze, acetone, solvents and acrid roast. It was, to say the least, saddening.

Mikkeller, I expect better.

1.96/5  rDev -47.7%

Quartet shared by chswimmer. Thanks.

Opaque chocolate brown, it has a solid mocha colored head with decent retention. Bourbon, vanilla, caramel and burnt bread consume the senses. Alcohol is sharp and stinging, incredibly harsh compared to other imperial stouts of similar strength. Dark fruit, burnt malt, bourbon and vanilla flavors open this one up. It's plenty complex, but cloying and harsh. Medium-full in body with a burnt, tarry, ashy finish, this is slightly better than the two before it, but it's far from good.

2.02/5  rDev -46.1%

Looks thin and flat. Dark brown.

Dammit. It's thin and flat. The coffee is all but gone and now reminds me of stale coffee from a pot that was on the burner for 4 hours and got a little scalded.
No carbonation.

The nose is boring-- where's the vanilla? Where's the bourbon? This is unimpressive. Wow, what a disappointment.

2.07/5  rDev -44.8%

A: The cork comes out with out a pop and the beer is black, somewhat thick, and flat.

S: Jeesh, I don't think there is enough alcohol in this. Black Hole is already boozy as it is and the bourbon barrel seems to have just added to it unnecessarily. Bourbon, booze, vanilla, chocolate, booze, and raisins.

T: The amount of alcohol flavor in this beer is staggering. My tongue was immediately hot as I took a sip of this one. The bourbon and alcohol from the base beer just attack you, and the other flavors are not very good either: soy sauce, chemical solvent, and only a hint of chocolate.

M: The body is medium with no carbonation and searing heat.

D: Avoid this one. It's rather sad to say, this was actually better than the Scotch version.

2.14/5  rDev -42.9%

First off: worst cork ever.

No head from a turbulent pour - just the barest rim of dark brown bubbles around the edge. A bad sign. Brew is jet black.

Big bourbon notes, as well as an aspirin smell, chocolate malts and cacao, and roasted barley. Bourbon is overwhelmingly strong.

Bourbon, chocolate malt, and sour oak. Not good. Not good at all. I'm sure it's infected or died somewhere along the way.

Flat and lifeless. Reinforces the infected/dead indications.

What a shame - one beer, high expectations, and right down the drain. If I get a good bottle later on, then I'll revise my review appropriately. Right now, all I can go off of is a dead, flat, probably infected bottle.

2.16/5  rDev -42.4%

Pours black with substantial tan head.

Smells of bourbon, milk chocolate, and the scent of a bourbon barrel stout that is too old - not sure exactly how to describe it, but slightly sour without being infected. Oxidation? Not sure, as I only really get this from old beer that was aged in bourbon barrels. It's the same smell I get with a lot of bourbon barrel-aged stouts I've cellared for 2-3 years, except I just bought this bottle last week. So quite disappointing.

Taste is unexceptional. Again, bourbon, milk chocolate, hints of vanilla. And that over-aged bourbon barrel stout sour quality I strongly dislike. Very uncomplex, single-dimensional flavors here for a bourbon barrel stout.

Body is relatively thin for the style, with high carbonation.

Overall, this is a disappointment. I opened a cognac version of Black Hole last Friday and really enjoyed it (had I reviewed it, I'd have given it about a 4.2). But the bourbon version falls far short of that. It's unlikely I'll finish the bottle. For such a high price, I would never buy this again. A reminder of why I rarely buy Mikkeller beers - the high ratio of cost to variance in quality.

2.25/5  rDev -40%

2.5/5  rDev -33.3%

2.53/5  rDev -32.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Drank A/B with the Black (sampled all but the Rum same night).

A - dark with more of a head than the rest of the series

S - very big bourbon big vanilla, very much of a fresh oak flavor

T - super fresh oak taste, a lot of vanilla, boubon is there but not in a good way

M - like the rest of the series, more carbonation than the black

O - not a great boubon stout, NOT subtle, too much in your face freash oak

2.81/5  rDev -25.1%

A: Pours a dark, almost opaque black color. A dense two finger tan head forms the gently recedes after a few minutes. Light lace.
S: Charred wood, tobacco, ash. Vanilla, chocolate, toast.
T: Follows the nose and fairly simple. Charred wood and ash. Vanilla and chocolate. Fairly standard, with the barrel kind of taking over.
M/D: A medium to full body. Low carbonation, chalky, asky. Lots of alcohol, which makes this a very slow sipper. One and done.

Probably the best of the Black Hole beers that I have had so far. Though that is saying very little. Still not the horrid abomination the base beer is. It has obviously been toned down from the monsterours 17% ABV it once was. Though I have had enough of these overpriced, over barring, over alcoholic stouts.

2.86/5  rDev -23.7%

7 barrel varieties with the base beer.

Pours a dark dark brown, almost black.

Minimal head.

Smells sweet, and chocolate heavy.
Very cloying on the nose and tongue.
Tastes sweet and cloying. Overall way way to sweet.
Mouthfeel is thick and boozy. Overall pretty mediocre

Better than the scotch

2.88/5  rDev -23.2%

poured into a tulip

A.

pours a very dark brown, to the point of black. A frothy tan head, about 1 fingers worth.

S.

I'm getting some light bourbon notes, soy sauce, dark roasted malts, a little sweet honey and some booze. Perhaps a little woody smell in there as well. A lot of aromas that I'm not sure they compliment each other well.

T.

Getting some wood taste and roasted/burnt malts. Then a little warming bourbon and a dry burnt taste in the finish. Just a weird tasting beer.

M.

A little watery and carbonation is a little non existent after while. Pretty disappointing for an imperial stout.

D.

Not a fan of the flavors and it's way too high ABV for me. I won't even finish my half glass of this. it was an extra so so big deal of me wasting this. Kinda had high hopes as this was my first mikkeller beer.

2.98/5  rDev -20.5%

The color is black with only sand specks of foam after the pour. Looks somewhat oily.

The aroma is creammy coffee, with some honey sweetness and lots of alcohol. Also a strong roasted malt noye. Very warm smell is not incorporated well.

The taste starts with roasted, all the way to burnt malt and burnt coffee beans. The middle has the warm palate and booze flavor take hold. There is some sweeteness from the honey and vanilla. The roasted to burnt malts and coffee add depth. But the booze still dominates. Not a bad sipper, just hard to mellow out with this strong alcoholic warmth. Almost like I'm sipping bourbon instead of beer.

3.06/5  rDev -18.4%

Corked and caged bottle that I picked up last winter sometime. No date found on the bottle. Poured into a snifter.

A: There was little to no pop when I removed the cork, but there was a good amount of carbonation when I poured yielding a thick one and a half finger head. It is dark as night and completely opaque. The head displayed good retention and left behind a fair amount of sticky lacing.

S: The nose presents a heavy dose of bourbon laced dark malts. There are notes of booze, vanilla, oak, chocolate, anise, and tobacco. There is something a bit acrid going on that I find a little off putting.

T: Bourbon, bourbon, bourbon in my face. The barrel is so intense that it actually masks all the interesting flavors I detected from the nose. It doesn't particularly bother me as I really enjoy bourbon, but something to balance that flavor would make this beer much better. It finishes with a big dose of bitter dark chocolate with some residual sweetness.

M: The mouthfeel is way too thin for this big of a stout. I would prefer something much thicker with a touch more carbonation

O: Not terrible, I will finish my glass without a drain pour, but certainly not worth the price tag.

Black Hole (Bourbon Edition) from Mikkeller ApS