Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Texas Ranger (Chipotle Porter) | Mikkeller ApS

Texas Ranger (Chipotle Porter)Texas Ranger (Chipotle Porter)
4.04/5
Exceptional
Texas Ranger (Chipotle Porter)Texas Ranger (Chipotle Porter)

Mikkeller ApS
Denmark
mikkeller.dk

Style: American Porter

Brewed with Chipotle Chilli Peppers at De Proef, Belgium.

Added by TMoney2591 on 06-16-2010

2.65/5  rDev -34.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

Firstly, I enjoy Mikkeller beers a great deal for the most part but...This is a smoked up novelty beer. This beer has the usual and increasingly extreme Mikkeller body. Getting through just one was difficult. It was too rich and had a savoury character, presumably from the Chipotle that overwhelmed.
I love you guys but just stop for a second and reflect.

4.5/5  rDev +11.4%

A- Guzzles nicely into a pint glass. Short-lived cream-colored head that sticks to the sides a bit. Good, black body.

S- Musty and rich, with a bit of warmth hitting the nose.

T- Beautifully done. Sappy and robust but not overly-alcoholic. Finishes very clean. But the best comes later, a rich heat build on your palate from the Chipotle Chiles.

MF- Thick and syrupy, but not too heavy. Minimal foam/carbonation.

O- I've tasted a lot of collab. beers that Mikkeller has done with Jester King, but this is a brilliant intro to their independent stuff. This is the way experimental beers should be approached. This beer stays within the noble limits of what a truly impressive porter yields, but dances into a new realm of experimentation. Top Notch.

4.6/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I bought this bottle after speaking with the sales rep at my local beer shop. I was told it wouldn't be as spicy as some of the other chipotle porters so my expectations ended up in line with what I experienced. This beer finished beyond my expectations and one I would definitely recommend for those that enjoy a mildly spicy porter.

I poured this from the bottle into a 12 oz mug.

A - Thick and lasting pour. Head that chills out for quite a while afterward.

S - If the Johnny Depp movies "Chocolat" and "Once Upon a Time in Mexico" had a baby... this is what it would smell like.

T - Unlike the smell, the chocolate was very subdued. The chocolate hits you first and the spice hits you about halfway through your sip and lingers very nicely as the coffee / pepper / cherry adds a fantastic finish.

M - The weakest aspect of this beer in my opinion. The beer begins highly carbonated and almost crisp for a creamy porter and by the time I got to the end of my mug became relatively flat.

O - This beer has a great balance between the chipotle peppers and the porter's natural flavors. I thoroughly enjoyed the complex taste of this brew and would recommend it to anyone that enjoys the twinge of spice to their beer.

4.75/5  rDev +17.6%

Poured from 750ml to an English Pub glass.

A - Extremely black color with a very dark head. This head isn't just off-white, this is literally a beige-colored head. LOTS of foam. Seems to be very carbonated.

S - Smokey chocolate. No hint of chipotle peppers yet - but as of now it is pure chocolate, toffee, and butterscotch.

T - The smoke is there, slightly spicy, but I personally don't taste the chili peppers. The chocolate aroma was very intimidating - as there is not a single hint of chocolate taste in this beer (very interesting). I feel a slight heat sensation in the back of my throat (assuming it's the chipotle). Spicy for a porter.

M - Thick, syrupy, slightly chewy. Goes down easily until that chipotle kicks you in the ass towards the end. This beer has got some heat/spice to it - Mikkeller doesn't disappoint.

Overall: This is by far one of the most complex, interesting beers I've had (that I can remember). I've had a few chipotle porters prior to this, but this one blows all of them out of the water. It literally seems like I just ate a bunch of peppers - this beer will sneak up on you and unleash its spice content. It's not exactly 'spicy', but the smokey flavors and aromas leave my taste buds feeling like I had just swallowed a whole habanero.

Out of the all the beers I have reviewed, this was honestly one of the most difficult ones to review, since there is SO much going on. I highly recommend this; not because it's a good beer, but because it is an incredibly fascinating one. This beer is definitely worth the buy, and I hope to drink it again one day. Cheers

3.91/5  rDev -3.2%

First had: on tap at Iron Abbey, Horsham, PA

Strange how so many Euro beer producers are adapting US idiosyncrasies, and trying to mimic US styles. Is the world finally taking note? slowing realizing that American beer is superior? ;)

Served in a tulip glass, this beer was gloriously presented to me, an impenetrable black color, dark brown around the edges, with a doming cap of super-creamy dark brown head that resembled a thick chocolate mousse. This retained well for the majority of the session, and rejuvenated a bit with a few swirls. I've had several "dark" chili beers now, and they all--including this one--seem to give me a strangely muted aroma, like the peppers and the malts are fighting for dominance, but neither really comes to the foreground; instead I get some kind of distant phenolic / dark malt essence, and not much more. Maybe it's just me, maybe it's just the style, I'm not sure. On the palate things are different. Lots of flavor here, dark roasty malts up front, dark chocolate and hints of coffee; mid-palate brings a nice infusion of earthiness and peppery spice, with a tingling burn from the peppers that comes out most in the finish and aftertaste. It's a nice effect, and I like it a lot when it's done right, as it was in this beer. Medium to full body, smooth and warming, nicely balanced, very good overall.

2.5/5  rDev -38.1%

4.38/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

One of my favorite Mikkeller offerings. I have had it in tap previously at NewAlbanian pizzeria. Been hoping to run into it again.
Found it in Covington Louisiana. Very pleased about that.

A - nice black pour with terrific chocolate color head dissipated slowly
S - coffee,, charcoal, smoked peppers, and chocolate
T - roasted coffee with chocolate to start, a hint of pepper with dark and mild chocolate hits mid way. Then the chilling pepper heat gives that tingle that stays on your pallet until you get another sip in. Truely awesome
M - medium mouthfeel that starts creamy smooth. Chipolte chilli stays with you for a while
O - love this beer. One bottle left on the shelf, and I'm on the hunt form more! Great beer

3.5/5  rDev -13.4%

4.1/5  rDev +1.5%

On-tap at Armsby Abbey.

A- Intense black pour into a generic stemmed tulip, looks inviting. Dark mocha tan head forms to cap the beer and complete a nice appearance. Decent head retention and lots of lace coating the glass.

S- Resembles a dessert consisting of fudge and a dark cherry like fruit. The roast malts lend cocoa but chipotle is only a background hint here. Still good and rich.

T- Things start here like the nose. A rich cocoa filled palate with notes of dark dried cherries, vanilla, cereal grain and caramel. Peppers are there in the first sip but really make their presence known as you sip on. You can taste the vegetable pepper flesh, smoke and a great spicy burn as you sip on.

MF- Moderately thick body with a fairly creamy feel. Spicy pepper level starts low but builds enough to leave the palate satisfied.

Porter and chipotle combine to form a good overall brew. Spicy enough to satisfy a chili lover but doesn't ruin the beers balance.

4.5/5  rDev +11.4%

4.15/5  rDev +2.7%

A thick medium brown in color, this brew certainly looks the part. A nice, creamy light tan head between one and two fingers tall hoilds itself well and leaves patchy lacing in good quantity on the glass.
Chocolate notes with some roast are found in the nose with a touch of coffee, the heat of the peppers just rising up a bit underneath. As I'd hope with any good beer brewed with peppers, the pepper flesh is detectable, even slightly vegetal wihout being overly so.
It all comes out in the flavor as well with a nice, almost but not quite peaty flavor coming out. A bit of smoke is the result, and it works. The pepper isn't just to blow the drinker away with heat: it builds up, keeping the flavor all the way while the heat radiates at the back of the throat. Otherwise, it's almost sweet in the malty aspect of it.
This beer is actually surprisingly dry at times, a medium-bodied brew with just a touch of crispness and a decent smoothness as well. People seem enemaored with the thickness of it, but nobody mentions that it actually tends to go a little thin here and there.
While I'd take a Stone Smoked w/ chipotle, this is a very good beer. If I could, this beer's flavor would be a 4.3 while Stone's would be a 4.7, but I an't do that. Oh well. Guess I'll just have a tasty porter with chipotle peppers.

2.91/5  rDev -28%

Had this a few times. Decent looking pour, good lace and head. Lots of peppers in the nose, overwhelming everything else that might be preset.

Almost fruity initially followed by roast, then briefly chocolatey before the chiles take over. Far too much pepper at the end and in the aftertaste. Similar to barrel aging, they should accentuate the base, not overwhelm it.

Not balanced, not good, and not my thing.

Texas Ranger (Chipotle Porter) from Mikkeller ApS