Beer Geek Bacon | Mikkeller ApS

Beer Geek BaconBeer Geek Bacon

Mikkeller ApS

Style: Oatmeal Stout

A smoked version of the Beer Geek Breakfast.

Brewed at Nøgne Ø.

Added by bark on 07-02-2010

Reviews: 269 | Ratings: 602
3.48/5  rDev -9.8%

(16.9oz bottle from Holiday Wine in SD). Pours dark brown with khaki head. Aroma is smoke, dark chocolate, and some light dark fruit. Taste follows suit with bitterness and a touch of malt sweetness. Medium bodied with oily texture. Bitter finish. Ok beer, but could use some sweetness.

3.48/5  rDev -9.8%

A- jet black two finger crema espresso colored head with medium lacing

S- coffee toffee smokey typical stout base smell of soy sauce

T- smokey coffee pretty drinkable. a little disappointed with how much is going on. a little abitious in my opinion. would have enjoyed more without the coffee i think.

M- oily, really too thick for me. was hoping for creamy but it's kind of just straight motor oil. thankfully, not syrupy.

O- a nice beer. it was hard to drink 16 oz of it though.

3.47/5  rDev -10.1%

500 mL bottle poured into a snifter.

Appearance - Dark brown, not quite completely opaque body with a HUGE overflowing brown head. Not quite Hunahpu looking, but close. A little thinner in appearance and the head is not quite a dark. Maybe like Old Rasputin.

Smell - Wow, smoke. Smells like a very smokey Scotch. Through it all I get a hint of roasted malt, but it's tough behind that smoke.

Taste - Roasted malts with a hint of coffee at first. Immediate smoke and some dry bitter flavors. It all tastes like a derivative of the smoke. Not enough of the base beer comes through. Very bitter finish.

Mouthfeel - Not as thick as the Weasel, which was my first of this series. The bitterness and smokiness lingers longer than any other stout flavor. Not difficult to drink, but the flavors after swallowing are very intense.

Overall - Smoke-dominated. I long for the stout inside. And where's the coffee? Less smoke would give this a hint of bacon, but it's so smokey I don't even think of bacon.

3.46/5  rDev -10.4%

Very dark burgundy with a short mocha head and many flakes of yeast that give it an appearance that resembles fake vomit. Scent of maple, smoke, ash, oats and light coffeel. Taste of sweet maple, smoke, ash, oak and bitter coffee.

3.45/5  rDev -10.6%

Poured into a Maredsous glass, black dense liquid with a dark tall mocha head, a bit fizzier head then i would have liked for this style. Smell is all bacon and smoked meat, smoldering bbq wood planks, a tiny malt presence. Taste follows smell, very smokey, toasted malt, typical rauchbier flavors, bacon, and a hint of coffee. Mouth feel is medium bodied with a low carbonation, slightly coating. The smokey flavors are too strong and overpowering in this brew to make me want more then a small pour.

3.43/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours like some bubbly crude - pitch black and slippery. When jostled produces a half-finger tan head that dissipates at a moderate pace. Big nose. Obvious smoke, but less campfire and more industrial. Underneath you can smell some coffee, roasted malt, a touch of chocolate and a hint of black licorice. Drinks thick, but the high carbonation keeps it afloat. Interesting. Doesn't coddle you like other stouts but rather declares its presence with an almost stale, indifferent smokiness. Feels like an art studio replete with overflowing ashtrays. What's quite interesting is the hoppiness that is present early and constant throughout. It ends on a twisted tart note that's very clean. Unique, but not something I'd purchase twice. I will say, though, it's not lacking in character.

Like It? Sure

3.41/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a bottle into my Zatec Fluted glass. About a finger and a half of dark brown head with not much retention. No lacing to speak of. Smells of smoke and coffee. Not much else. Tastes like smoke. Thought I got a hint of coffee, but then, oh wait, smoke. Very foamy, nice mouthfeel. Finishes very dry. Interesting beer. Not my favorite, but interesting.

3.41/5  rDev -11.7%

Glad I finally got a chance to try this one. Thanks to my brother David for bringing this out...

Poured from 500ml into an Old Raspy pint glass...

A - Pours black with a three finger dark brown head. Lots of lacing sticks to the glass. Nice...

S - Chocolate, coffee, and lots of smokiness come through. Also pick up hints of a sweeter fruit scent (Apricot or maybe peach). Either way, i'm a bit surprised...

T - Dark roasted malts, chocolate, and bacon. Bacon adds a saltiness to the taste. Very smokey...

M - Medium bodied with a moderate amount of carbonation...

D - Glad I tried this, as the bacon adds an interesting touch. Something I would definitely recommend to somebody who has not tried it before, but I think I prefer the Beer Geek Brunch over this one. Overall, a little smokey for my tastes, but still a pretty solid brew...

3.38/5  rDev -12.4%

On Tap at Stone.

Aroma of licorice. Smokey flavor start to finish. Ends with and alcohol, licorice flavor. Some coffee notes but they seemed subdued to me.

There is a lot of Smokey flavor going on with this beer. It's important to know that going in. Not as much of a thick body as it looks and sounds like it'd have, making it relatively easy to drink.

3.36/5  rDev -13%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a tulip glass from a 1 pt. 9 fl oz. bottle.

A - Pours a very viscous pitch black liquid with a nice dark tan head that is about 1.5 inch tall. The head is very sticky and quite dense. It almost seems like the top of some creme brule.

S - Smoke comes up quick with some nice delicious roasted malt darkness. Some burnt coffee notes as well as some slight bitter chocolate and sweetness. The espresso notes are pretty nice as well.

T & M - Starts off with some very smokey notes that translate into some slightly overcooked bacon. Dark roasted malt offer some burnt flavors as well as some nice coffee notes. The smoke is very intense. I feel like I'm eating a campfire. Slightly one dimensional brew as Mikkeller usually exhibits. Not my favorite.

O - Very one dimensional.

3.35/5  rDev -13.2%

Dark black with a dark brown two finger head. Has decent retention, and a little lacing. The aroma has chocolate, coffee, smoked malt, but no bacon. The smoke is not as strong as I had hoped.

The first thing I tasted was the smoked malt, followed by coffee and chocolate. The smoke is not as strong in this beer, as it is in other smoked beers. There is nothing in the flavor which suggests bacon, or any other smoked meat. Still a nice beer, but a little disappointing.

Medium to full bodied with a bitter aftertaste and mild carbonation. This beer does not have as much of the smoky, or bacon flavor as I had hoped, which is disappointing. I am still glad I had a chance to try this.

3.33/5  rDev -13.7%

Doesn't a smoked breakfast stout sound good? It did to me. On to the beer:

Lookin good. It's pitch black with tan colored foam. The head forms thick with solid retention and leaves several healthy rings of lacing sticking to the glass. The nose is coffeeish, also imparting a light bacon aroma, which fits the theme. As far as overall intensity, the overall nose is less intense as its other two siblings.

The first few ounces are fine. There's a presence of mocha and a squirt of hops. Also present is a subtle note of cured meats. But for the price of the cured meats are a major component of cigarette ash. (I know this because I once mistaken a beer bottle at a get together that was being used as an ashtray, if you will, and put that bottle to my lips instead of the one I was drinking from!) The other criticsm is the mocha flavor numbing. It's still decent tasting, but far from a world class beer. The ash aftertaste doesn't help a whole lot. If there's one thing to be proud of, it's the thickish mouthfeel reminiscent of a milkshake.

I love the idea of a smoked oatmeal stout. However, I don't enjoy the smoked flavor so overdone that it's basically ash. It's decent overall and doesn't force you to choke it down; I simply expected a better beer from Mikkeller.

3.33/5  rDev -13.7%

This brew pours out like old motor oil, it looks super thick going into the glass. The smell is smokey but not overwhelmingly. You can pick up on other aromas too like medicine and a little bit of burnt coffee. The taste is surprisingly a much lighter smoked flavor than I expected. Some smoked beers are just way too much and it makes it gross. This one wasn't too bad, but not great though. The mouthfeel is also surprisingly lighter than the look it has. This beer is a little deceptive with the eyes. It's ok but nothing fantastic.

3.3/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

On tap at Churchill's in a snifter.

A: Black and thick with a fast fading small creamy light brown cap.

S: Big beachwood and applewood bacon smoke profile, it's all consuming. There's some chocolate and coffee beneath, but they're really overshadowed. Smells good, but sort of one note. A little char in there.

T: The beachwood smoke is a little less powerful, but it's still the strongest characteristic. Coffee is evident, accompanying bitter dark chocolate and a moderate roasted malt profile. I get a dash of molasses. Pretty dry, no real sweetness. Booze is pretty well hidden.

M: Full in body with moderate carbonation. Mouthfeel is dry, astringent, and sticky. Some warming is noticeable.

Overall: I wouldn't care to drink it again, but not bad.

3.28/5  rDev -15%

Big thanks to Jeff for sharing this at a recent tasting. Cheers!

Appearance -- Pours an inky black with zero highlights and a slim tan head.

Smell -- As the name would suggest, LOTS of rich, earthy woodsmoke present from the onset. Additionally, there is some malt roastiness, dark chocolate, and espresso.

Taste -- Again, lots and lots of woodsmoke akin to being at a bonfire. Also, there is some noticeable meatiness along with roast malt, espresso, baker's chocolate, and little bit of soy sauce. Not a great deal of malt sweetness, just smoke and char.

Mouthfeel -- Medium-full in body with milder carbonation. Not bad.

Drinkability -- Wow. This one is definitely for a specific clientele. One of the smokiest beers I've ever had. Interesting, good, but not great. Had no problem finishing my taster, but beyond that may have been tricky.

3.28/5  rDev -15%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

pours like a typical stout, black in color with a nice dark tan almost brown head to it. has medium retention leaving spotty lacing

nice aroma oatmeal and smoke stand out, with chocolate, coffee and nutty notes.

wow very very smokey, with some focus i was able to find some oatmeal, chocolate through the smoke.

medium bodied and medium- lightly carbonated. pretty viscous

overall for me the taste brings the beer down a lot it was just way to smokey felt like i was drinking an ash tray. it had a nice aroma and look to it but i was disappointed.

3.27/5  rDev -15.3%

I am still plowing through my backlog of bottles, but I may break down and hit some CANs in the next couple of days. In the meantime, here is a curiosity that I picked up at Hunger 'n' Thirst a while back.

From the bottle: "Smoked Oatmeal Stout Brewed With Coffee". Hokey smoke, Bullwinkle, this sounds really good!

The beauty of these really dark beers is that when I employ an aggro pour, the pseudo-cascade is extremely visible. I sat back in awe and watched it settle into two fingers of very dense, deep-tan/light-brown head with good retention. Color was an Opaque Black (SRM = 44) and it looked like the depths of outer space in my glass. Nose was very coffee-like with just a modicum of underlying smokiness. Mouthfeel was medium. While the coffee was still prevalent on the tongue, the smoke was beginning to assert itself in the mouth and in my sinus cavity. Warming, the smoke got stronger, but so did the coffee. I was really hoping for something much smokier, but since it is listed as an "Oatmeal Stout", rather than a "Rauchbier", I should not dun it too highly for this. Finish was still more prevalently coffee than smoky and I have to admit that I was disappointed. It was just too similar in taste to Beer Geek Breakfast and too lacking in smokiness to be worth the cost for a 330-ml. bottle.

3.21/5  rDev -16.8%

Just from the image on the bottle of rising smoke I know this beer is going to portray just that.
Pours oily black with an immense frothy mocha head that fades back down ever so slowly leaving little lacing that follows the head - small head retains itself atop the beer keeping it looking nice. Instant smell of sour smoke and charred meat - deep dark chocolaty malts present. Taste is campfire smoke (if it could be bottled and consumed) and it truly does remind the tastebuds a bit of bacon in a funky way - also flavors of bitter chocolate (mostly in aftertaste, also a spice to it). The feel is smooth, but not thick, just creamy. It leaves a bitter, and dare I say, sour bite on the back of the tongue. This beer developed further as it warmed up but I'm still getting used to the smoked beers so hopefully I can revisit this in the future and enjoy more than I did.

3.21/5  rDev -16.8%

A: Looks solid. Pours seemingly viscous with a small head of cream carbonation settling to thick lacing. Very dark stuff with some maroon highlights when held to light.
S: Heavy campfire. If you're looking for smoke (and if you're drinking this you'd better be) here it is. Some burnt malt notes and sharp peat.
T: Pretty straight forward. Nothing wrong here, but really driven by a stale smoke/burnt flavor. It's interesting, but for a 'smoked brew', not particularly enticing or on point. I like, but want more depth. Ideally this would have some more sweetness to round ou the acrid flavor and texture or be thinner and less aggressive to lend itself towards a quaffable brew.
M: Very thin for a purportedly imperial stout. More like a smoked porter. If you leave aside stylistic guidelines, this fairs slightly better. Light-medium mouthfeel with a refreshing carbonation that seems to exacerbate the smokiness and lends little to what I'd like to see here and in the taste; some sweet malt to balance the acrid flavor and thin/harsh texture.
D: I could actually drink a fair bit of this if I enjoyed it more. Not a bad brew, and interesting in its pointed smokiness. It drinks much lighter than it is, and I'd actually give it a higher drinkability rating if I wasn't confident that the smokiness would become even more tiresome.

3.21/5  rDev -16.8%

a- bottle poured into a dogfish signature, thick syrupy pour creates two fingers tan very creamy head with great retention, deep black brown color, great looking brew - i feel like i want to garnish with a piece of crispy bacon!

s- a lot of smoke here as expected, and yes, bacon - smokey open fire roasted bacon, dark chocolate, black coffee.

t- thick, roasty, smokey - very, like a burnt dark chocolate coffee, it does have a big of creaminess as well. i do get the bacon in here as well, not as prevalent as the nose, but it's here. it's got a hit on the backend that makes this taste a lot stronger than 7.5%.

m- thick and full, creamy.

d- not the greatest, this one shouldn't be challenging my palate, but it kind of is, it's a sipper for sure.

3.2/5  rDev -17.1%

Pours a nice color like most of the other geek beers i've had. Dark brown head that has good retention. Good carbonation on this. The smell is real nice, smokey coffee that makes me dive right in. The taste, however, is disjointed. I'm barely able to get a 4oz. pour down. I like smoked malts and rauch beer quality but this ones terribly bitter on the finish. The coffee and malty middle doesn't make up for the finish. I was really disappointed in this as I've thoroughly enjoyed the other beer geek breakfast and brunch beers.

3.18/5  rDev -17.6%

Pours jet black with some foam the color of caramel, mocha, and milky coffee. Aroma is peat, smoke, wet campfire, and a little bit of moldy chocolate. Here is a summary of collective taste descriptions:

oh my god this is so horrible
liquid smoke
tastes like burnt popcorn smells
smoked meat
like chewing on ash

I honestly didn't get any bacon out of this; certainly not as much as Schlenkerla. This certainly delivers the goods in terms of smokiness, but it wore me down in a hurry. Before the end of my half-bottle, I was 100% burned out. No pun intended.

3.18/5  rDev -17.6%

Poured out of a bottle into a tulip. Small black globules blobbed out with the brew. My imagination? Took a sip felt the gelatinous anomalies slide past my lips and get caught in my teeth. Gross. A heartbroken drainpour.

Second try:
I received a replacement bottle!

This time, the globs were less prevalent and I just decided to stick it out. I have no idea how this might have an effect on the rest of the beer, but here goes:

A: dark as all hell. decent head.

A: smoky, coffee, not as sweet as the other geek breakfasts.

T: smoky, drier than other bgbs. aw heck, there are little oily blobs in my mouth!

m: already addressed this.

bummer! i love the concept, but it was surprisingly light in body and lacked richness and balance. mostly, though, it was the texture. it was like "beer geek tapioca", or "retirement home breakfast."

Consumed on 10/20/10

Pours out a nice thick looking black liquid. Huge head forms in my glass as the beer gets poured. When held up to the light, no light is able to penetrate the body. Head is a light chocolate milk color. The texture of the head is bubbly and foamy. It recedes slowly back into the liquid. A thin film floats on top for most of the session. No lacing is produced at all.

A lot of smoke right away. I believe some coffee is trying to fight its way though all the smoke but comes in small notes. There is also charred wood notes that come along with the smoke. The smell isn't overpowering though and there is also some sweetness that randomly comes out.

Much like the smell, smoke and wood dominate the taste. No real sweetness that I can detect. There is a bitterness that is left in the throat as the beer is swallowed. There is something off about the bitterness though, can't place my finger on it though, I just know I'm not a fan of it. As this opens up more roastiness comes out and the smokiness dies down.

Very thin, even watery at times sadly. Not very impressed here. Carbonation is present but it doesn't seem overly high that would lead to the thin feel, just don't think this is a very thick beer.

I'm not sure if I'd go for this again. I'm not a big fan of smoked beer and perhaps it just isn't for me. If you enjoy smoked beer I'd give this a go but it wasn't for me.

3.11/5  rDev -19.4%

Poured into a nonic.

Pours a hugs three finger dark beige head that sits atop a pitch black body. Head dies down to a substantial layer of foam on top. Nice lacing left behind.

Smells roasty, smokey and maybe even a touch salty. Traces of chocolate and oats, but the rauch component is clearly the focus.

Taste follows smell. A smokey and roasty flavor dominates up front. Again there is a bit of salt. Followed by a flash of dark chocolate and oats. The finish is smokey and displays a hint of coffee buried deep in the depths of the taste of this beer, and also a bit of sea salt on the back of the tongue. The smokey component is a bit much though, and reminds me of steak that's been on the grill for too long.

The mouthfeel is big and thick without being too sticky. Low carbonation.

Drinkability is ok. Way too smokey.

Beer Geek Bacon from Mikkeller ApS