Beer Geek Bacon | Mikkeller ApS

Mikkeller ApS
Denmark
mikkeller.dk

Style: Oatmeal Stout

A smoked version of the Beer Geek Breakfast.

Brewed at Nøgne Ø.

Added by bark on 07-02-2010

3.01/5  rDev -22%

330 ml bottle. Pours black with a fluffy tan head that retains well and laces the glass some.

The aroma is sweet perfumey grainy chocolate malts with some smokey BBQ and a little roast coffee.

The flavor is lots of bitter plastic like roast with a bit of smokey sweet BBQ and a little coffee. The mouthfeel is medium bodied and slightly watery.

Overall, there's a lot going on (including some off notes). It doesn't mesh really well and the bitter roast is a bit overwhelming.

3.07/5  rDev -20.5%

Bottle shared by nickd717. Thanks!

Oily opaque black with a thick collar for a head. Burnt bacon aroma, like bacon left in the frying pan for an hour too long; this is tarry, salty and burnt stuff. Tastes better than it smells, tarry and burnt, meaty and smokey. Medium-bodied, thankfully not too syrupy or burnt. Semi-sweet finish with strong roast and smoke. The aroma is fairly offensive, but it doesn't taste bad. Decent.

3.07/5  rDev -20.5%

3.11/5  rDev -19.4%

Poured into a nonic.

Pours a hugs three finger dark beige head that sits atop a pitch black body. Head dies down to a substantial layer of foam on top. Nice lacing left behind.

Smells roasty, smokey and maybe even a touch salty. Traces of chocolate and oats, but the rauch component is clearly the focus.

Taste follows smell. A smokey and roasty flavor dominates up front. Again there is a bit of salt. Followed by a flash of dark chocolate and oats. The finish is smokey and displays a hint of coffee buried deep in the depths of the taste of this beer, and also a bit of sea salt on the back of the tongue. The smokey component is a bit much though, and reminds me of steak that's been on the grill for too long.

The mouthfeel is big and thick without being too sticky. Low carbonation.

Drinkability is ok. Way too smokey.

3.18/5  rDev -17.6%

Pours jet black with some foam the color of caramel, mocha, and milky coffee. Aroma is peat, smoke, wet campfire, and a little bit of moldy chocolate. Here is a summary of collective taste descriptions:

oh my god this is so horrible
liquid smoke
tastes like burnt popcorn smells
ashy
hickory
smoked meat
like chewing on ash

I honestly didn't get any bacon out of this; certainly not as much as Schlenkerla. This certainly delivers the goods in terms of smokiness, but it wore me down in a hurry. Before the end of my half-bottle, I was 100% burned out. No pun intended.

3.18/5  rDev -17.6%

Poured out of a bottle into a tulip. Small black globules blobbed out with the brew. My imagination? Took a sip felt the gelatinous anomalies slide past my lips and get caught in my teeth. Gross. A heartbroken drainpour.

Second try:
I received a replacement bottle!

This time, the globs were less prevalent and I just decided to stick it out. I have no idea how this might have an effect on the rest of the beer, but here goes:

A: dark as all hell. decent head.

A: smoky, coffee, not as sweet as the other geek breakfasts.

T: smoky, drier than other bgbs. aw heck, there are little oily blobs in my mouth!

m: already addressed this.

bummer! i love the concept, but it was surprisingly light in body and lacked richness and balance. mostly, though, it was the texture. it was like "beer geek tapioca", or "retirement home breakfast."

Consumed on 10/20/10

Pours out a nice thick looking black liquid. Huge head forms in my glass as the beer gets poured. When held up to the light, no light is able to penetrate the body. Head is a light chocolate milk color. The texture of the head is bubbly and foamy. It recedes slowly back into the liquid. A thin film floats on top for most of the session. No lacing is produced at all.

A lot of smoke right away. I believe some coffee is trying to fight its way though all the smoke but comes in small notes. There is also charred wood notes that come along with the smoke. The smell isn't overpowering though and there is also some sweetness that randomly comes out.

Much like the smell, smoke and wood dominate the taste. No real sweetness that I can detect. There is a bitterness that is left in the throat as the beer is swallowed. There is something off about the bitterness though, can't place my finger on it though, I just know I'm not a fan of it. As this opens up more roastiness comes out and the smokiness dies down.

Very thin, even watery at times sadly. Not very impressed here. Carbonation is present but it doesn't seem overly high that would lead to the thin feel, just don't think this is a very thick beer.

I'm not sure if I'd go for this again. I'm not a big fan of smoked beer and perhaps it just isn't for me. If you enjoy smoked beer I'd give this a go but it wasn't for me.

3.2/5  rDev -17.1%

Pours a nice color like most of the other geek beers i've had. Dark brown head that has good retention. Good carbonation on this. The smell is real nice, smokey coffee that makes me dive right in. The taste, however, is disjointed. I'm barely able to get a 4oz. pour down. I like smoked malts and rauch beer quality but this ones terribly bitter on the finish. The coffee and malty middle doesn't make up for the finish. I was really disappointed in this as I've thoroughly enjoyed the other beer geek breakfast and brunch beers.

3.21/5  rDev -16.8%

Just from the image on the bottle of rising smoke I know this beer is going to portray just that.
Pours oily black with an immense frothy mocha head that fades back down ever so slowly leaving little lacing that follows the head - small head retains itself atop the beer keeping it looking nice. Instant smell of sour smoke and charred meat - deep dark chocolaty malts present. Taste is campfire smoke (if it could be bottled and consumed) and it truly does remind the tastebuds a bit of bacon in a funky way - also flavors of bitter chocolate (mostly in aftertaste, also a spice to it). The feel is smooth, but not thick, just creamy. It leaves a bitter, and dare I say, sour bite on the back of the tongue. This beer developed further as it warmed up but I'm still getting used to the smoked beers so hopefully I can revisit this in the future and enjoy more than I did.

Cheers

3.21/5  rDev -16.8%

A: Looks solid. Pours seemingly viscous with a small head of cream carbonation settling to thick lacing. Very dark stuff with some maroon highlights when held to light.
S: Heavy campfire. If you're looking for smoke (and if you're drinking this you'd better be) here it is. Some burnt malt notes and sharp peat.
T: Pretty straight forward. Nothing wrong here, but really driven by a stale smoke/burnt flavor. It's interesting, but for a 'smoked brew', not particularly enticing or on point. I like, but want more depth. Ideally this would have some more sweetness to round ou the acrid flavor and texture or be thinner and less aggressive to lend itself towards a quaffable brew.
M: Very thin for a purportedly imperial stout. More like a smoked porter. If you leave aside stylistic guidelines, this fairs slightly better. Light-medium mouthfeel with a refreshing carbonation that seems to exacerbate the smokiness and lends little to what I'd like to see here and in the taste; some sweet malt to balance the acrid flavor and thin/harsh texture.
D: I could actually drink a fair bit of this if I enjoyed it more. Not a bad brew, and interesting in its pointed smokiness. It drinks much lighter than it is, and I'd actually give it a higher drinkability rating if I wasn't confident that the smokiness would become even more tiresome.

3.21/5  rDev -16.8%

a- bottle poured into a dogfish signature, thick syrupy pour creates two fingers tan very creamy head with great retention, deep black brown color, great looking brew - i feel like i want to garnish with a piece of crispy bacon!

s- a lot of smoke here as expected, and yes, bacon - smokey open fire roasted bacon, dark chocolate, black coffee.

t- thick, roasty, smokey - very, like a burnt dark chocolate coffee, it does have a big of creaminess as well. i do get the bacon in here as well, not as prevalent as the nose, but it's here. it's got a hit on the backend that makes this taste a lot stronger than 7.5%.

m- thick and full, creamy.

d- not the greatest, this one shouldn't be challenging my palate, but it kind of is, it's a sipper for sure.

3.23/5  rDev -16.3%

3.25/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Beer Geek Bacon from Mikkeller ApS