Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Mikkeller ApS
Denmark
mikkeller.dk

Style: Oatmeal Stout

A smoked version of the Beer Geek Breakfast.

Brewed at Nøgne Ø.

Added by bark on 07-02-2010

3.89/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Pours a nearly opaque blackish color with medium brown head; thick rings down the glass. Smell: wood smoke, grain twang, earthy coffee with caramel and light fruitiness (plum ish). Taste: medium roast iced coffee, toffee, light earthiness, pine-ish note, grainy finish. Chocolate and dark fruit are reduced to being buried under the roast and grain. Worth a try, but my least favorite of the series so far.

3.95/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

330 mL bottle poured into a tulip

A- Black with a two finger tan head.

S- Roasted coffee, smoky bacon, some chocolate, faint piney hops.

T- Camp fire like smokiness, piney hops in the finish, hints of citrus hops, some roasted coffee notes. Smoke is front and center in this beer.

M- Medium body, finish is a little to hoppy bitter making the finish a little rough.

O- Not a bad beer, but my least favor of the series.

3.56/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

2.94/5  rDev -22.8%

4.01/5  rDev +5.2%

4.57/5  rDev +19.9%

A - Very dark oily black color with a pretty large, very thick, extraordinarily creamy, sticky, pillowy, cafe colored head. Pretty good retention with a nice thick, very creamy, tight layer of lace.

S - Smells wonderful with with a nice smoked/bacony aroma with plenty of roasted chocolate malt. A touch of coffee, caramel and peat aromas as well, with the coffee coming out more toward the finish. Mouthwatering.

T - Similar to the nose, but with a bit less bacony flavor. Some roasted, smokey chocolate malt. Some peaty flavors come out toward the middle. Good amount of smokey flavor with some bacon/smoked meat but a bit more of a smoked wood flavor. Decent amount of black coffee comes out toward the finish. Slightly bitter taste as well.

M - Medium body with a pretty good level of carbonation. Pretty smooth and oily feel. A touch on the thin side for what I was expecting.

D - Pretty easy to drink beer with a good amount of smokey flavors, chocolate, roasted malt, and coffee. A little too smoked wood flavor for me, and if it was just a bit more bacony it would be great.

Notes: Pretty good beer. Like I said, I just wished it was a bit more bacon/meaty smoke flavor than smoked wood. Also the smokiness hides a bit of the chocolate and coffee and oat flavors as well. Overall it is an enjoyable stout and smells wonderful, but I prefer the Weasel Brunch more. That said it is a good beer worth a try, although for the price I might not get another.

4.53/5  rDev +18.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

500ml bottle into a tulip.

One of the few perfect looking stouts I've ever seen!  What a great start to a beer drinking experience.  When I pour the Beer Geek Bacon into my tulip, I'm amazed by the way the pitch black beer is blanketed by a three finger milk-chocolate colored head.  Immaculate.  Amazing lace and retention.  This is a true beauty of a brew.

The smell continues the session with almost equally impressive results.  I get strong scents of dark chocolate and a touch of hops. Before trying as many smoked beers as I've been fortunate enough to have encountered, I may have thought this had a very strong smoked presence.  However, it's actually right in the middle compared to others and is very well integrated and pleasant.  The beer's aroma is really reminiscent of cured bacon and I can easily see where the name comes from.  A touch of campfire, some coffee, and (maybe I'm imagining things) maple syrup round the nose out.

The only thing that could bring this beer down (and me) at this point would be some abnormality or unbalance in the taste. Thankfully, that doesn't happen. Instead, I'm experiencing great chocolate notes from the malt, and a balanced amount of smoked malt with just enough campfire and a hint of salt.  This really does taste like bacon and coffee, magnificent.  Whatever the ratio was, this is the perfect balance of roasted and smoked malt and I'm very impressed.

The mouthfeel is creamy, with both the body and carb working together wonderfully.  It is just a hair under perfection due to just a touch of watery character in finish. However, for a smoked beer, that probably helps to make it not just tolerable but very drinkable. Think of it this way - Mikkeller probably lost a 1/2 point in mouthfeel and gained it in drinkability.  A fine tradeoff if you ask me. This is simply a great beer!  Probably the best smoked stout I've ever had!!!  Seek it out, it is worth the price!

2.75/5  rDev -27.8%

4.12/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.42/5  rDev +16%
look: 4 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.25/5  rDev +11.5%

3.25/5  rDev -14.7%

4.49/5  rDev +17.8%

500ml into my Portsmouth tulip.

Pours black with a solid brown head. Turns to a swirly cap and thick ring, leaves some spotty lacing.

Smell is excellent and delivers as advertised, a smoked version of Beer Geek Breakfast. Smokiness right up front mixes well with coffee, oats and roasted malt. As much as I despise the name Beer Geek Bacon (which isn't even on the bottle) I do get a grilled meat type of scent as it goes on, works well here.

Taste pretty much follows the nose except the smoke in my opinion is weaker. Coffee/espresso, some oats and chocolate with a tiny bit of hops. Spicy smoky notes on the finish. Pretty much the regular Beer Geek Breakfast with a little kick. By the end the smoke seems very toned down from the scent.

Mouthfeel has a nice thickness for 7.5%, very smooth, good carbonation level, no alcohol taste.

I bet this would pair amazingly with some eggs and bacon. I have a feeling I'd like a beer from the Beer Geek series no matter what, even if they put shit in it. Wait...

3.55/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4.1/5  rDev +7.6%

3.75/5  rDev -1.6%

4.48/5  rDev +17.6%

Poured from a 16.9oz. "half-liter" bottle into a wine goblet.
Inky-black in color with purple highlights, and a big, thick, tan head of foam.
Aroma-Coffee, subtle chocolate note
Taste-Big blast of black coffee, baker's chocolate, subtle woodsmoke backbone, charred steak. Very dry, black coffee finish.
Complex and full of character, a "coffee and cigarettes" eye opener for the tastebuds.

Appearance - Pours a dark chocolate, opaque color with over two fingers of tan mocha head (which subsequently overflowed while I was walking toward the porch and I now have some nice dark marks on my carpet...yippie, heh). The head dissipates relatively slowly, leaving decent lacing on the sides of the glass.

Smell - LOTS of smoke, slight bacon (was impressed I actually smelled this - yes I know it is purposefully meant to be this but still...was surprised to smell it). Reminds me of campfires on the beach in Michigan while on vacation. Wish I could have had this while on vacation this year with my brother-in-law!

Taste - Damn, pretty smoky, freaking tastes like greasy bacon (salty), dark malts, slight chocolate, roasted flavors.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied, lower carbonation.

Drinkability - So so. An interesting beer, though I really don't think I'd ever pick it up again. Glad I was able to try it.

3.8/5  rDev -0.3%

2.97/5  rDev -22%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

A- pours jet black with a one finger brown head that fades rather quickly. Lacing is alright.

S- lots of coffee, and *tons* of that smoky flavor you'd expect from the title. I actually...don't like the way they jive as much as I thought I would, but it's still nice.

T- this is actually...kind of disgusting. The smoke is overwhelming, and the coffee is a background flavor. I didn't expect it to be this over the top.

M- thick, but not syrupy. Very nice

D- not a fan. Waaay too smoky for my tastes

3.35/5  rDev -12.1%

Dark black with a dark brown two finger head. Has decent retention, and a little lacing. The aroma has chocolate, coffee, smoked malt, but no bacon. The smoke is not as strong as I had hoped.

The first thing I tasted was the smoked malt, followed by coffee and chocolate. The smoke is not as strong in this beer, as it is in other smoked beers. There is nothing in the flavor which suggests bacon, or any other smoked meat. Still a nice beer, but a little disappointing.

Medium to full bodied with a bitter aftertaste and mild carbonation. This beer does not have as much of the smoky, or bacon flavor as I had hoped, which is disappointing. I am still glad I had a chance to try this.

Beer Geek Bacon from Mikkeller ApS