Koppi Coffee IPA | Mikkeller ApS

Denmark
mikkeller.dk

Style: American IPA

A coffee-IPA.

Ingredients: Water, malt, barley flakes, Tomahawk hops, coffee and yeast.

The coffee comes from Swedish coffee roasting-house Koppi.

The first batch had Guji Natural organic coffee from Sidamo, Ethiopia.

The second batch had Odoo Shakiso Coffee from Ethiopia.

Brewed at De Proefbrouwerij, Belgium.

Added by bark on 01-27-2011

Liked:
3.82/5
Alströms:

3.03/5  rDev -20.7%

Ok let's break this down..

Appearance: Doesn't look like coffee at all. Hazy orangy with high carbonation.

Smell: Doesn't smell like coffee. Not much here. Light hops, slight lemon and grapefruit, mild earth tones

Taste: Doesn't taste like coffee. Not much to it at all. Very dry and drinkable but nothing special about it.

Moral of the story: Nothing about this reminded me of coffee. Yes a coffee IPA sounds awesome and unique, but don't buy into this one...especially for $13.00 like I did. Live and learn I guess.

3.04/5  rDev -20.4%

Mikkeller Koppi Coffee IPA is a coffee IPA... I'm still not sure whether that is a good idea or not but this beer was a real failure.

A: Cloudy orange colour and no head. 2

S: Not a strong aroma. Sweet with some citrus. 3

T: Malty and a little oxidised with some citrus flavour. Actually not oxidised, I think that is just the coffee. The hops are subdued. The finish is is dry, coffee favoured and crisp. 3.5

M: Flat pretty much. 2

O: 3

3.08/5  rDev -19.4%

750ml bottle best by date of 8/12/12 poured into a snifter. This brew appears a clear color of orange with 3 fingers worth of white fluffy head. It leaves a lacin pattern on the glass with webbing, lines and patches. A swirl revives more than a finger of large bubbles which forms a yellowish stained froth that holds strong.

The smell of this brew is citrus, grassy hops, some mineral aspect and quite a lot of sulfur. The coffee addition seems to be missing from the aroma, about the only characteristic I smell that is vaguely reminiscent of coffee is a bit of a musty tang to the backend. More sniffs reveal a scent of rindy fruit and pulp.

The taste includes quite a bit of mineral character, sulfur and modest bitterness. There is no coffeeto be found in the flavor of this brew, as I take more sips I struggle to come up with something and it's just not there. Vaguely on the backend is an earthy aftertaste maybe coffee-like with a stetch of the imagination. The majority of this brew's flavor though is citrus hops and other bitter rindy flavors with an increasingly musty aftertaste as the brew warms up beyond ideal temperatures.

This is a medium bodied brew with a very lively level of carbonation that is a bit excessive initially but it calms down. The drinkability of this brew is decent but would not be a selection I would make if I was in the mood for a really good ipa or if I wanted a beer with coffe inclusion.

3.09/5  rDev -19.1%

EXPENSIVE! I thought Europe was broke? I'm kidding but @ nearly $6/per this had better knock my socks off.

Looks great! Amber/orange colour. Great lookinng head. Some serious substance and creaminess to it. Enough webs of lacing to make Spiderman blush.

Aroma, for an AIPA is so-so. Certainly some nice coffee hints, but there was an off-putting aroma of rubbing alcohol.

Intersting take on the style. I like the inclusion of subtle coffee flavor, but it comes across as a one trick pony. Some weedy hoppiness makes an attempt at the requeset bitterness, but in the end they come through only imparting a strong herbal character.

Borderline thin on the feel.

as mentioned, an interesting take on the style, but given the price this is a once and done experience for this cat.

3.1/5  rDev -18.8%

750 ml bottle, it's the 2nd batch (Tomahawk x Odoo Shakiso version). Served in a pint glass, the beer pours a murky copper/orange color with a couple inch off-white head after a very slow pour. The head stays around for a long time, and there's a lot of lacing, too. Aroma is mostly citrusy and pine hops, along with some caramel malt and coffee. The coffee aroma was weaker than I expected. However, the coffee flavor is stronger (and gets stronger as the beer warms up). Along with the coffee, I can also taste citrusy hops, caramel malt, and some piney hops. Mouthfeel/body is medium, it's a little bit creamy, slick and smooth, and is also well carbonated. Too much carbonation for my liking. I'm still trying to figure out if I like this beer or not. I don't hate it, but I don't think it's great either. I guess I'm just not a big fan of the coffee and IPA combination. It's something that's worth trying once, but at $13.99 a bottle I wouldn't buy it again.

3.11/5  rDev -18.6%

750ml bottle from Supermarket Liquors in Ft. Collins, CO. $14. Cap says 08/12/12. Into an old school NB Globe.

A: Hazy amber color with a dense tan head that foamed up to about an inch that has collapsed to a cap of bubbles leaving some huge gobs of lacing. Really a nice looking beer.

S: Really getting a lot west coast hops here, not a lot of coffee in the nose at all. Resinous citrus hops and a bit of a caramel malt profile smells like a pretty standard IPA.

T: Hops dominate the overall flavor, but there is a pretty decent malt profile as well, citrusty hops fade into a nice lingering bitterness. Coffee is pretty much non existent. I try and find it, but man there is nothing standing out as a decent coffee note. I get a kind of weird flavor I cannot place, but it is unlike any cup of coffee I've ever experienced. Decent IPA though.

M: Nice amount of body, and the carbonation is spot on, finishes dry. Not bad here.

O: Well, its labeled as a coffee IPA, and I definitely get the IPA, and its a pretty good IPA, but I get zero coffee in this beer. Not even the slightest whiff of coffee, or the slightest taste of coffee, which kind of pisses me off when spending $14 on a bottle of it. I guess I just don't get it. Disappointing.

3.11/5  rDev -18.6%

From bottle at The Festival. Murky hazy gold pour with little head. Strong coffe aroma, very vegetal however, lots of green pepper smell, raw beans, very much like kopi luwak. Strong vegetal coffee flavor as well, some hoppiness, resinous, ultra vegetal.

3.19/5  rDev -16.5%

750 ml bottle split and poured into a Sierra Nevada tulip.
6.9% ABV, 08/12/12 printed on the cap.

Thanks to TheDTrain for sharing! (and by sharing, I mean taking the pricy hit for this beer...)

A - The hazy golden orange is a good color topped by a dense off-white head. Good retention and thick lace left on the glass.

S - No real coffee in the aroma, it's actually pretty bland with a low aroma of earthy hops. Plain amber malts. A swirl brings out a hint of hops.

T - The otherwise mild hop flavor is underlined by faint coffee notes in the back. Grassy, earthy, and lightly lemon citrusy.

M - Medium-bodied and smooth with a moderately dry, slightly bitter finish. Nicely balanced.

O - Lacking in aroma but decent in flavor, there's almost no coffee in this one. Overpriced and average.

3.2/5  rDev -16.2%

From a 330 ml brown bottle. Pours out a deep hazy coppery amber when held to light, more like a russet chestnut hue otherwise. Tall spongy off-white head with excellent retention.

Coffee, chocolate and hazelnut are first to arise in the aroma, then some dry bready malt and herbal, leafy, spicy hops.

Coffee and dry malt up front in the flavour that is almost immediately eclipsed with herbal, spicy hops. The coffee along with a bit of chocolate returns in the aftertaste to linger on.

Medium-bodied mouthfeel with low carbonation and a creamy smooth texture that hints at touches of oiliness.

No real harmony or unity with this, nor is the juxtaposition unique enough to be truly noteworthy beyond saying you've tried it once. The quality is there, this isn't swill, but the combination just doesn't jive, at least for me.

3.2/5  rDev -16.2%

A: Pours a cloudy golden orange color with a finger of white foam to go with it.

S: Coffee IPA, eh? Interesting as I don't really smell any coffee. Maybe a touch of a roast but otherwise it's grassy hops, some mild citrus, and quite a bit of caramel malt (and perhaps a touch of brown sugar).

T: No coffee flavor either, but I think I'm grateful for that. Sweet fruit, especially citrus. Plenty of brown sugar and caramel sweetness. A decent amount of bitterness and a little bit of grassy hop flavor.

M: Medium in body with a moderate carbonation.

O: No coffee character at all, and just a mediocre IPA is what you get from it.

3.2/5  rDev -16.2%

I don't know what to say here. I was really excited about this as I hadn't seen very many (any?) coffee IPA's around. And for $16 for a 750ml bottle, I figured the uniqueness would be there. Unfortunately, I didn't detect any hints of coffee in this IPA. Not in the color, not in the aroma or the flavor. As an American IPA at 6.9% abv, it was fine. Nice, even. But I can drink an American IPA anytime and there are better examples out there.

If you're looking for coffee in your IPA, look elsewhere. If you're looking for a drinkable American IPA from Mikkeller, try this.

3.21/5  rDev -16%

Thanks to bu11zeye for sharing this bottle.

The beer pours a yellow-orange color with a white head. The aroma is heavy on the toffee and bready malt, with some candy hops. I don't get any coffee in the aroma at all, very disappointing.

The flavor is unfortunately more of the same. I get some bread, toffee, grass and candy hops. I also get some sweetness and a light amount of bitterness. If there is any coffee in this beer, I can't taste or smell it. A nice IPA, just not a coffee IPA.

Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

3.25/5  rDev -14.9%

This pour a reddish brown with about an inch of head. Not much coffee on the nose, it smelled pretty much just like a regular IPA. The first few sips I still couldn't pick out the coffee part of this beer. After a few sips I think I figured it out, it tastes like they were trying to blend the bitterness of some darker coffees with the bitterness of an IPA. Unfortunately the coffee bitterness masked a lot of the desirable hop flavors. This bitterness blend was all their was to this beer. The mouthfeel was pretty thin and light.

I started out very interested in this blend of two different flavors that I love, but sadly this ended up being pretty one dimensional and not all that interesting or good.

3.26/5  rDev -14.7%

330ml bottle poured into pint glass april2 2011

A hazy orange amber with a solid light tan head that retains to the very bottom of the glass and leaves some random lace

S earthy hops, tea bag and cold sweet coffee, not bad but weird for an IPA

T what I imagine wet spring thaw leaves to taste like with more cold coffee and some booze I couldn't smell

M medium bodied with decent carbonation, flavors linger and so dose a little grit on the gums

O not a combination I look for in an IPA, the coffee mingles poorly with the earthy hops

perhaps with a much darker malt this could work but then of coarse it wouldn't be the worlds first coffee IPA. I like Mikkeller about as much as a man can like a brewer but some of the gimmicks don't work for me but hey at least its not the same old same old

3.26/5  rDev -14.7%

Shared around last weekend during a night of epic beer tasting.

It appears with a light coppery coloration, a huge creamy head tops it with good retention and leaves fat lacing on the glass as it dissipates.

The smell outputs some bitter hops scents like apple and citrus as well as a malty caramel. It was also described as a green tea like aroma, and it was interesting to note that there were no coffee smells.

The taste is mainly an ipa flavor, a bitter aftertaste with some floral citrus in the fore to start you off. Where is the coffee? We were all kind of disappointed that there was none.

Overall we thought it wasn't a bad beer, just not worth $15