Koppi Coffee IPA | Mikkeller ApS

Denmark
mikkeller.dk

Style: American IPA

A coffee-IPA.

Ingredients: Water, malt, barley flakes, Tomahawk hops, coffee and yeast.

The coffee comes from Swedish coffee roasting-house Koppi.

The first batch had Guji Natural organic coffee from Sidamo, Ethiopia.

The second batch had Odoo Shakiso Coffee from Ethiopia.

Brewed at De Proefbrouwerij, Belgium.

Added by bark on 01-27-2011

3.27/5  rDev -13.3%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a goblet. Bottle dated: 7521103, 2nd batch (Tomahawk x Odoo Shakiso)

A: Poured a deep amber, burnt orange color with 2 fingers worth of khaki colored head. The head is tightly packed with small bubbles which recedes leaving behind some spotted lacing.

S: Nose is piney, some floral with some light tropical fruit, and ends with some caramel sweetness that enhances or complements the pine notes. I'm picking up some faint roasted notes, not convinced of coffee though.

T: Taste is bitter upfront, big piney notes that somehow get counter balanced by some malt sweetness. At the back end I'm getting a bitter note, almost like chewing on roasted coffee beans.

M: Light/Medium bodied; Mouthfeel is a bit too light, carbonation was a bit low as well. I didn't feel that the flavors really meshed well at all. Overall, I did not understand the flavors and felt that they were a bit disjointed. My palate never was refreshed nor cleaned. The coffee notes were rarely noticed, except for the end notes of the taste.

3.28/5  rDev -13%

When I saw this one at Abe's I was pretty stoked to try it. This brewery usually impresses me quite a bit and since I've never seen a Coffee IPA before I knew I had to try it. The beer poured out as a light brown color with a pretty nice looking head on top. The smell of the beer was hoppy, I struggled to get the coffee aromas at any point while having this one. The taste was the same way... All I got was hops, I tried blowing my nose and everythig to possibly clear my senses a little and still no coffee in this one for me. The mouthfeel was decent, I feel that it was just about average to most IPA's. Overall I found this one to be a little bit of a disappointment.

3.3/5  rDev -12.5%

330ml bottle. Tumbler glass. Enjoyed on agt´12. Pale orangish amber in color. Foggy appearance. Yellowish white foam quickly dissipates while leaves a thin layer on top. Strong resiny, piney & woody aromas. As expected from aromas, flavor presents a bitter resiny & woody touch. Unexpected coffee notes are present too. Full body. Moderate carbonation. Dense oily texture. Fruity hints & sharp bitterness shown into the finish. Subtle but increasing coffee flavor rounds the aftertaste. Interesting beer.

3.38/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

750ml bottle - A hazy copper pour into an oversized snifter with a solid 2" beige head that hung out for a few minutes.

Aroma is sharp citrus with a floral hop character. Not particularly strong There is a hint of sweet malt or honey in the background as well.

Flavor is a bitter grapefruit, honey and pine with a nice grassiness to finish. There is slight caramel and an almost lactose like softness. Milk duds come to mind. Starts somewhat malty but finishes fairly dry with only a little lingering sweetness.

This is a somewhat decent IPA overall but I'm left a bit underwhelmed. I didn't detect anything that I could distinctly identify as coffee, although it did have a strange softness to it amidst the bitterness. Don't get me wrong, drinking this one certainly didn't suck. The hop flavor was nice but nothing stood out as remarkable. For a $12 beer billed as a Coffee IPA, I feel this one misses the mark.

3.41/5  rDev -9.5%

Koppi Coffee IPA pours an orange stained copper color. It’s very hazy and has a distinct orange tint when held to light. It’s topped with a really nice cream colored head that stands about two and a half fingers tall. It’s very slow to dissipate and leaves thick, sheets of sticky lace behind. Looks good!

The nose is interesting. It’s not bad, but not quite what I expected. First off, I’m not getting any coffee at all. Disappointing for a coffee IPA. There’s definitely a good bit of sweet caramel malt. Not my favorite thing. Hops are relatively strong in the mix. I’m getting a good mix of earthy, grassy hops, as well as some light pine and citrus. Pretty diverse mix. Alcohol is a little noticeable, but doesn’t seem strong. It’s not bad, but isn’t very good either.

The flavor’s pretty good. It’s definitely not what I’d hoped. I’m still not getting any coffee and am quite disappointed about that. Caramel malt certain anchors things down and adds quite the sweet flavor to the overall mix. Hops are definitely diverse. I’m getting grass, pine, and citric notes of orange and grapefruit. It’s a little bitter, but is balanced quite a bit by the malt presence. Nonetheless, it definitely leans in the hop direction. Alcohol is mildly noticeable. Finishes a little bitter and dry.

The body is medium. Carbonation feels active and a tad buzzy. It’s not quite smooth. It still goes down alright though. I should finish off the 750 without much trouble. Honestly though, I think a 500 ml bottle might have been the better choice.

Koppi Coffee IPA is interesting. As an IPA, it’s not bad. I could deal with a little less malt and perhaps a few less bubbles. I like it alright though. On the other hand, it is not quite the coffee IPA is holds itself out as. In fact, there’s nothing here to suggest coffee’s present other than the label. If you’re in the market for a pretty good IPA, it’s not a bad choice. If you’re looking for a true coffee IPA…keep searching.

3.41/5  rDev -9.5%

A - Poured out a hazy, golden amber color with a two-finger, off white head of bubbly foam. It left thin rings of lace on the glass.

S - It smelled grassy and not much else. No coffee aroma. Hmmm, a coffee IPA?

T - It tasted grassy with a sweet caramel backbone. It was nice bitter but there was still no coffee taste.

M - It was crisp, sharp and smooth. A light to medium bodied ale with a clean finish.

O - This is a nice IPA. I still didn't get any thing remotely coffee-like.

bottle cap read 08/12/12

pours slightly hazy dark orange with a 2 finger head that left no lacing

smells of fruity hops and nothing else i can pick up on

taste - where is the coffee???? did they use sanka?? well even though i can not pick up on any coffee thats not to say this is a bad ipa because it is not - the flavor is very fruity hops and bready malts

mouthfeel is light medium body with lots of carbonation

overall - yes the name is very misleading (no coffee in the flavor) and it is way over priced for what kind of beer it is - but i did enjoy the flavor - all this said the price kills it $14 a bottle is way too much for a beer that tasted like blvd single wide($7 a sixer)

3.43/5  rDev -9%

Pours a hazy amber color with a big, frothy white head that leaves little chunks of lacing.

Smells of grass and citrus hops.

Tastes of the clean hops upfront with a decent malt base. Hops lead off with grass, citrus, and a bit of pine. Malt base comes through and adds some slight fruit sweetness. Coffee is not particularly noticeable. Ends with a slight bitterness.

Mouthfeel is medium with a slightly assertive amount of carbonation.

Overall, this was a bit of a disappointment. The coffee is not present and the price ($13.30 for a 750mL) is not worth it.

3.43/5  rDev -9%

Bottle served into a Westvleteren goblet in Stockholm, Sweden. Reviewed live.

A: Two finger head of nice lovely cream lacing and great thickness. Retention is excellent. Colour is a murky cloudy off-copper.

Sm: IPA bittering hops, caramel, and ever-so-slight fruit ester hops, maybe raspberry. A moderate strength aroma.

T: Bittering hops, light cream, and maybe raspberry. Very simple actually. A disappointment from Mikkeller. No coffee comes through whatsoever. It's a fruity IPA. There's not even roast. Mikkeller's me favourite brewery in the world, but this is lackluster. I expected coffee at least. Built alright and balanced decently, but fails to be special.

Mf: Smooth and wet, with a lot of IPA-typical coarseness. Doesn't perfectly match the flavours of the body, but it's close.

Dr: Relatively high ABV, false advertising, limited quality, and a disappointment from me favourite brewery. Only hardcore fans of the style need apply.

3.43/5  rDev -9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.45/5  rDev -8.5%

Pours hazy orange/amber with a large, lasting head.
Nose shows resinous hops, grapefruit, heaps of clean malt with some caramel as well, and a soft, earthy, chocolaty coffee character.
Flavours instead seem to show the roasty, bitter side of the coffee, although the hops are what really stand out. Massive, piney, grapefruit-like bitterness completely dominates, although some alcohol rears it's ugly head in the finish. Way too harsh and bitter.

3.47/5  rDev -8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Golden amber appearance. Hazy, though wondering if the degree is due to the fact that this was a hopped beer brewed a few months ago, and it was imported. Frothy head. Effervescent. Smell and taste: pine, and sweet citrus. Very faint caramel? Bitter, dry finish. It's a great IPA, and I would definitely drink it again. A little disappointed I didn't pick out any roasted or coffee notes. Perhaps I'm not in the right mood or my palate wasn't clean enough. But I've been waiting for this beer to hit the shelves since January expecting to taste something totally unique and mind blowing. Great beer, but I think my fantasies of what this beer was going to taste like hindered my actual experience of it.

3.48/5  rDev -7.7%

Thanks to Chris at Boo's who snagged quite a few hard to find brews this season.
appearance: Hazy honey amber. Fat creamy head.
smell: nice though fairly run if the mill ipa hops smell. A hint of coffee elevates.
taste: Much like the nose. Average ipa but the hint of coffee distinguishes.
overall: Not a stand out but applaud Mikkeller's innovation.

3.5/5  rDev -7.2%

I prefer Mikkeller's Sleep Over Coffee IPA over this particular beer.

Koppi Coffee IPA from Mikkeller ApS