Spontankriek | Mikkeller ApS

mikkeller.dk

Style: Lambic - Fruit

Added by pixieskid on 04-10-2011

1.9/5  rDev -47.1%

This shit was an absolute drain pour! I am a fan of Mikkeller, but this was terrible. The color was a nice red/amber hue, frothy, and smell of a nice lambic kriek. It all ended there...this first sip was sour and tasteless. No taste at all of cherries, and not even a good sour or gueze, but a weak almost nasty sour taste...yuck. The beer had plenty of carbonation, so I know it was not spoiled or bad. I could not believe how much different the smell and taste was! I took a sip, and then a taste and a drink. I honestly tried to like it, but could not bring myself to come close to finishing my half glass. Split the bottle with my Dad on Christmas Eve and we were both of the same opinion. Looks can be decieving is a proper, fitting name for this beer. Terrible.

2.21/5  rDev -38.4%

Attractive color but minimal head or lacing. This is the most medicinal beer I've ever had, both the smell and the taste were practically identical to some Vick's spray I've used. It got slightly better as it warmed but not much.

2.25/5  rDev -37.3%

2.25/5  rDev -37.3%

2.75/5  rDev -23.4%

2.75/5  rDev -23.4%

2.87/5  rDev -20.1%

A: Pours a beautiful ruby red color, with a thin white head

S: A nice sour funk to this. A bit of, for lack of a better word, socks. However it was fairly pleasant overall.

T: This is where it went awry. I could only drink the beer by itself. No food, no other beers, anything. Anything else brought out a horrible metallic flavor. Wrecked the beer. Aside from that, none of the cherries came out at all. There could have been red food coloring in the beer for all I could taste. The goods were that it had a nice sour tartness to it that paired well with the body of the beer. The barrel aging works for it, helps mellow out the sourness.

M: Great mouth feel. Nice medium body to it, expectant of a fruit lambic.

O: Overall the beer could have been better. The cherries should really come out more in this beer, since they put in enough to impact the color. The sourness was spot on. What really didn't work was the metallic flavor that came out when I tried to eat anything with the beer. Some extra funky yeast was in there.

2.92/5  rDev -18.7%

I think 90% of the Spontan series are underrated, phenomenally crafted sours. But this one is just off. Smell is German lager-esque, taste has plenty of oak but it dominates the palate and not in a good way. Doesn't have the same acidic bite as the others in the series, either. Follow -through has more funk like a Geuze as opposed to a typical Kriek. Simply put: just not in the same league as other Belgian lambics in the same price range ($13 for a 500 ml).

3.02/5  rDev -15.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

375 bottle poured into a softball sized snifter. First beer of the day so I've got virgin taste buds.

Awesome pour, the color of a ruby grapefruit with a lightly pink head that recedes with no lacing. Really really beautiful.

The smell is dominated by unripened cherries. I can tell this one has no residual sugars. Definitely brett and a touch of vinegar (not even in the same ballpark as a standard Flanders, just to be clear).

The flavors of this are not what I was expecting based on previous experiences with the style, but I'll try to give a synopsis w/o preconceptions. The taste is dominated by bitterness, reminiscent of eating cherries and accumulating a bunch of pits before spitting them out, or some white part of a grapefruit rind (though on the back end, unlike that flavor in an IPA). It's really not very sour at all, as I let it warm up the sensations of taking a sip are (little bit) sweet->brett->bitter.

The mouthfeel lacked the acidity and/or carbonation to really open this beer up for me. I usually expect sours and krieks in particular to sizzle my palette, but this one sort of just sat there like a big gulp of unripe grapefruit juice.

Overall I have a nasty habit of picking up every pretty Mikkeller I see, so I'm glad I crossed this one off my list (although I may have another bottle at another storage location). It's not quite a classic example of the style, but despite giving it some low scores, I loved the appearance of it and if split with another advocate it might be interesting to see what they thought.

3.13/5  rDev -12.8%

Clear red pour. Ruby red and beautiful with a fluffy pink head. Great lacing, decent retention. 4.5

Tart cherries and vinegar mostly. Funky. Very sour. 4

Sour. Tart Cherry. Vinegar. Too much in the sour realm of things and lacks a sweetness to balance it all out. Musty, dry finish. At points I'd say this hints towards medicinal. 2.5

Light body. Nicely carbonated. The bad aftertaste is the detracting factor here. 3

Disappointed. Especially for the price of $16 for the bottle. I hope the other Spontan- beers are better. 3

3.15/5  rDev -12.3%

12.7 ounce bottle. Served in a tulip, the beer pours a ruby red/purple color with about an inch pink head. Head retention and lacing are both decent enough. The bottle was a bit of a gusher when I opened it. Aroma is sweet and tart cherries, oak, funk, and a bit of vinegar. Taste is pretty much like the aroma, but there's also a bitter earthy flavor noticeable. Not too sour tasting, the bitter earthy flavor seemed to overpower the other flavors. Mouthfeel/body is medium, it's a bit slick and has moderate carbonation. It's not a bad beer and it's worth trying once, but I wouldn't spend $12.99 a bottle for this again.

Spontankriek from Mikkeller ApS