Citra Single Hop IPA | Mikkeller ApS

Added by gford217 on 06-10-2011

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last
Reviews: 81 | Ratings: 200
3.19/5  rDev -16.5%

330mL bottle poured into a Weyerbacher tulip.

A: Golden amber/orange color with a thick off-white head. Lots of sediment even with a careful pour. Head never really fully settles. Lots of sticky lacing.

S: Hoppy with some muted citrus notes, grapefruit being the most prominent.

T: Meh, was expecting a tropical fruit & citrus hop combo, instead it's very piney and caramel-y.

M: Medium bodied and fairly sticky.

O: This was a bit of a let down as I was expecting the Citra hop to be more pronounced. Not to say that it isn't a good IPA though.

3.5/5  rDev -8.4%

A reddish copper hue, not light, not too dark. A definite sweet passion fruit aroma. This is a very sweet smelling beer. A nice amount of carbonation provides a good mouthfeel and keeps what is an otherwise sweet tasting beer from being too syrupy. This is a sweet beer, with less carbonation the sweetness could be overwhelming but proper carbonation keeps this interesting. Overall this is not the best representation of the cira hop that I've had. This is a decent IPA but nothing I would go out of my way for. I would get it again if I saw it on draft but I don't know that I would go out of my way for it.

4.05/5  rDev +6%

This was a nice gift with a $6.49 price tag attached to the 11.2 oz bottle. This bad boy was served up in a New Holland Tulip glass.

A- Maybe my pour had a lil too much thrust, but thsi beer exhibited a two inch thick head that floated above the lips of the glass for a while. Color was off orange, a lil' dirty.

S- Sweet grapefruit and citusy (sp) goodness.
T- Cirtrus without hints of pine. Definitey not that hoppy (to my standards anyway)
M- Leave a nice lingering carbonation with some biteterness that resembles a not too tart grapefruit.
O- Definitely would have again, more likely drink it if I wanted to splurge on a hop specific IPA. A great beer that was a nice treat to have, but due to the price, I have to give it a lower rating.
Cheers

3.17/5  rDev -17%

A - Pours a dark orange, with a two finger thick head with medium retention. There's a LOT of yeast chunks floating around. Intentional or not, this isn't precisely appealing.

S - Earthy, woody scent, with a hint of malty sweetness and definitely some yeast.

T - Taste matches the nose. Earthy, woody, malty (much more than I expected), with a hint of vanilla.

M - Smooth, even considering the yeast chunks.

O - Aside from the appearance, an enjoyable IPA, though the balance is off in places.

3.88/5  rDev +1.6%

A - pours an excellent honey/copper wit ha slight haze. 3 full fingers of persistent off white head

S - smells like citra hops, good start. a great deal grassier than straight citras

T - Tastes exactly like citra hop flavors. Grassy and citrusy (not so much piny) Tangerine and grapefruit flavors are predominant with the bitterness coming through early on and not lingering.

M - Everything I want in an IPA. Hits the palette hard, carbonation is prominant, then clears out fast. No coating, no thickness. Just leaves behind a citrus grove, nothing else.

O - I think the concept of these single hop IPAs is genius as far as educating on the intricacies of the character of each hop. I've always had a place in my heart for citra and figured this would offer me the best oportunity to evaluate how well they convey the hop as the heart, soul, brain, and reprodcutive system of the beer. I think they did a great job with it. I look forward to trying other hop varieties in this style.

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last