Citra Single Hop IPA | Mikkeller ApS

Added by gford217 on 06-10-2011

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last
Reviews: 84 | Ratings: 205
3.38/5  rDev -11.3%

This was a nice surprise. I'm not a fan of grapefruit, in general, and I wouldn't have chosen it if I knew it was, however, the grapefruit/citrus taste was a perfect foil for the hops. The light cloudy yellow color doesn't make a good impression visually, b ut the smell and flavor turn it around.

This is not a drink all day beer, but it might be nice to pair with an open fire cooked meat like pork or venison.

2.46/5  rDev -35.4%

IPA's without dates scare me, especially overseas IPAs but this one is new in a store with decent turnover so I went for it, wish I hadn't.

Pours a very nice dirty orange color with a thick two finger white head that slowly recedes to a nice thick cap. The smell is very interesting, it reminds me of the street market in Chiang Mai, Thailand. Very sweet, with a palm sugar aroma that has a vegetal undertone, not very complex and not what I would expect from Citra hops. The taste was bitter up front and almost no flavor except for some alcohol heat. The mouthfeel was strange and flaccid. Overall I poured the second half down the drain, not worth it.

From looking at other reviews it seems as though my experience is in the minority, but if you find this beer, make sure it is fresh.

Bottle poured into my duvel snifter.

Haven't been writing reviews lately, bought a bunch of single hop beers and gonna start reviewing again

Single Hop Citra IPA by mikkeller has that wonderful citra hop aroma that is very distinctive, lots of grapefruit and slight pine in this one. Nice mouthfeel to this one as well, the 88 ibu were masked very well, not overally bitter like a lot of IPA i have had lately. Taste was delicious, good start to my single hop mikkeller week of brews

3.19/5  rDev -16.3%

330mL bottle poured into a Weyerbacher tulip.

A: Golden amber/orange color with a thick off-white head. Lots of sediment even with a careful pour. Head never really fully settles. Lots of sticky lacing.

S: Hoppy with some muted citrus notes, grapefruit being the most prominent.

T: Meh, was expecting a tropical fruit & citrus hop combo, instead it's very piney and caramel-y.

M: Medium bodied and fairly sticky.

O: This was a bit of a let down as I was expecting the Citra hop to be more pronounced. Not to say that it isn't a good IPA though.

3.5/5  rDev -8.1%

A reddish copper hue, not light, not too dark. A definite sweet passion fruit aroma. This is a very sweet smelling beer. A nice amount of carbonation provides a good mouthfeel and keeps what is an otherwise sweet tasting beer from being too syrupy. This is a sweet beer, with less carbonation the sweetness could be overwhelming but proper carbonation keeps this interesting. Overall this is not the best representation of the cira hop that I've had. This is a decent IPA but nothing I would go out of my way for. I would get it again if I saw it on draft but I don't know that I would go out of my way for it.

4.05/5  rDev +6.3%

This was a nice gift with a $6.49 price tag attached to the 11.2 oz bottle. This bad boy was served up in a New Holland Tulip glass.

A- Maybe my pour had a lil too much thrust, but thsi beer exhibited a two inch thick head that floated above the lips of the glass for a while. Color was off orange, a lil' dirty.

S- Sweet grapefruit and citusy (sp) goodness.
T- Cirtrus without hints of pine. Definitey not that hoppy (to my standards anyway)
M- Leave a nice lingering carbonation with some biteterness that resembles a not too tart grapefruit.
O- Definitely would have again, more likely drink it if I wanted to splurge on a hop specific IPA. A great beer that was a nice treat to have, but due to the price, I have to give it a lower rating.
Cheers

3.17/5  rDev -16.8%

A - Pours a dark orange, with a two finger thick head with medium retention. There's a LOT of yeast chunks floating around. Intentional or not, this isn't precisely appealing.

S - Earthy, woody scent, with a hint of malty sweetness and definitely some yeast.

T - Taste matches the nose. Earthy, woody, malty (much more than I expected), with a hint of vanilla.

M - Smooth, even considering the yeast chunks.

O - Aside from the appearance, an enjoyable IPA, though the balance is off in places.

3.88/5  rDev +1.8%

A - pours an excellent honey/copper wit ha slight haze. 3 full fingers of persistent off white head

S - smells like citra hops, good start. a great deal grassier than straight citras

T - Tastes exactly like citra hop flavors. Grassy and citrusy (not so much piny) Tangerine and grapefruit flavors are predominant with the bitterness coming through early on and not lingering.

M - Everything I want in an IPA. Hits the palette hard, carbonation is prominant, then clears out fast. No coating, no thickness. Just leaves behind a citrus grove, nothing else.

O - I think the concept of these single hop IPAs is genius as far as educating on the intricacies of the character of each hop. I've always had a place in my heart for citra and figured this would offer me the best oportunity to evaluate how well they convey the hop as the heart, soul, brain, and reprodcutive system of the beer. I think they did a great job with it. I look forward to trying other hop varieties in this style.

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last