Sour Bitch | Mikkeller ApS

Mikkeller ApS
Denmark
mikkeller.dk

Style: Lambic - Fruit

Spontanale with lychee fruit.

Brewed at De Proef Brouverij.

Added by bark on 07-18-2011

Liked:
3.92/5
Alströms:

4.75/5  rDev +21.2%

4.75/5  rDev +21.2%

4.45/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Sampled from a 750ml bottle purchased at West Lakeview Liquors in Chicago.

A - Gold and very clear with a small white head.

S - Fruity with some tropical fruits and a bit funky. Very nice.

T - Funky with a mild sourness and a tartness that I assume comes from the lychee fruit. Complex and interesting.

M - A low carbonation with a silky smooth feel.

O - A very interesting beer. I've never had lychee fruit but it seems to add something nice to this brew.

4.38/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a cloudy gold with a little orange hue and a couple fingers of foamy off-white head.

Smells sour with hints of some sweet fruits and a good dose of oak.

Lightly sweet almost red grape like fruit sweetness hits the tongue for a second before getting overtaken by the sourness. It's more of a musty bitter sour and isn't overly intense, but the focal point nonetheless. Finishes dry with a wonderful oak component. While very different beers otherwise, the oak component in isolation reminds me a lot of Batch 23 Damnation.

Fairly light bodied with high carbonation levels.

Wonderful surprise from Mikkeller who I'm usually hit or miss on. Very well balanced with some complexity. My only slight complaint is I wish the lychee were featured a bit more prominently, but otherwise close to perfect.

4.35/5  rDev +11%

I had this at Jackie O's during the bottle share on the bottle release day. Poured into a sample glass.

Appearance: Pours a golden amber with a layer of fluffy white head that fades to a ring around the edge of the glass.

Smell: Quite funky with a strong acidic nots. Very sour with some herbal and hay like notes.

Taste: Citrus tartness with some herbal notes and a high level of sourness. Mildly fruity with a sour finish. This is a really delicate sour beer.

Mouthfeel: The body is on the lighter side with sharp carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: This is a great light sour beer. Crisp, dry and delicate. I would gladly have it again given the chance.

4.35/5  rDev +11%

bottle... dark gold body with an almost peach hue, bright white head, great lacing with a solid ring, one of the better lambic's I've seen... the aroma is quite nice and complex, the front is very fruity with light citrus and distint lychee bitter but a sweet note, the middle provides some great spider web musk, hay, farmy finish, quite good and complex, only wish the fruit was a bit stronger and less of an accent only... the taste loses almost all of the fruit but what is left is very good musky spider web gueze that's very easy drink, as it warms the finish brings about a bitter fruit taste that breaks up the musk and adds great complexity... not an in your face fruit lambic which I like, but a refined subtle beer that is very enjoyable

4.32/5  rDev +10.2%

Purchased at West Lakeview Liquors in Chicago, for $27.99. Took it out of the fridge for about an hour before pouring into 2 snifter glasses.

A - When I opened the bottle, the first thing I noticed was a significant ring of brown yeast all over the bottle cap and the top of the neck. I wasn't sure what to make of that? Anyway, it Pours a slightly redish, golden brown color with about 1 finger of off-white head. I held it up to the light and stared at it for a long time. At first it looks very clear, but as the bubbles rise quickly, you can see a lot of yeast.

S - When I smelled the bottle / cap - I instantly got a huge whiff of bready yeast. As I smelled the beer from my snifter, I got more fresh bread smell and a very slight fruity smell.

T - Upon first impression I was a little disappointed because it wasn't as sour as I was hoping for. But this beer is a LOT more complex than I expected. Lychee fruit is not a very overpowering fruit, but I think this beer captures the flavor very well. You get a bit of sweetness and flavor, without the lychee dominating the beer. I also get a white wine type of dryness in here too and you can taste the oakiness of the barrel aging too. The flavors all became much more pronounced as the beer warmed too.

M - The mouth feel was just about right... not too thick or thin. I would have preferred a finer carbonation like some of the better Belgian lambics, but all in all it was good.

O - I am glad that I bought 3 of these, because the other 2 will benefit from some serious aging. There is enough yeast and funk in there to do some good stuff in the years to come - so I'm excited for that! All in all though, I would suggest giving this beer a try, but for the money, I would suggest throwing it in the cellar for a while.

4.29/5  rDev +9.4%

A- pours a hazy orange color with a finger of off white head. Ok retention. Some lacing.

S- aromas of sweet lychee and a lemon zest. Smooth funky blue cheese and soft hay like Brett note. Finishes with soft wheat like aromas and soft malt. Very smooth soft nose.

T- starts off with a light acidic tartness with a lemon zest flavor. The lychee really comes out with a touch of sweetness that is balanced by the tartness. Finishes with some earthy Brett and funk with the fruit that continues throughout the finish.

MF- puckering slick mouthfeel. Medium body and some bubbly fine carbonation.

D- super drinkable.

Overall a great refreshing beverage.

4.26/5  rDev +8.7%

A - Cloudy golden-orange with a finger of frothy white head. The head fades down at a normal pace leaving behind some nice lacing.

S - Funk, tartness, wheat, lychee, oak, vanilla, souness, oak, lemon zest, funky yeasts.

T - Wheat, tart green fruits and lemon zest, lychee, oak, vanilla, sourness, funky yeasts, acidity.

M - Medium bodied with moderate-plus carbonation. Smooth with a funky, tart, and slightly sweet finish.

D - Nice fruit lambic. Good funkiness and sourness and the lychee add some nice kick to it.

4.25/5  rDev +8.4%