1000 IBU Light / Ultramate | Mikkeller ApS

1000 IBU Light / Ultramate1000 IBU Light / Ultramate

Mikkeller ApS
Denmark
mikkeller.dk

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Half the alcohol, all the hops from Mikkeller 1000 IBU.

Brewed at De Proefbrouwerij.

Added by lacqueredmouse on 08-23-2011

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Reviews: 18 | Ratings: 45
Reviews by heygeebee:
3.15/5  rDev -8.7%

Still on-tap at the Taphouse after the Takeover

Pours cloudy amber 1 finger head - Ok lacing.

Aromas of all hops, maybe a little lemon.

Taste follows aromas in a mouth-cleaner kind of fashion. its big and its pretty ugly in terms of a hop assault. One of the most bitter/astringent beers I have ever had. This was 'out-there' when compared to other Mikkeller beers at the take-over. When compared to Taphouse usual fare, it's just too much.

Mouthfeel is harsh.

Glad I only had a small sample.

3.68/5  rDev +6.7%

Thanks to my brother for sending me this bottle. This bottle was labeled as 1000 Ultramate, which is the same thing as the 1000 IBU Light.

The beer pours a yellow color with a white head. The aroma has a ton of floral hops in it, as well as some grass and biscuit notes. The flavor is quite strange but I - unlike several of the people I shared the bottle with - enjoyed. I get the same floral notes, as well as a little bit of leather, grass and assorted spices. There is also a high amount of bitterness. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

2.98/5  rDev -13.6%

I honestly don't know how to rate this beer since the style is technically a Pale Ale, but to me it's more of an experiment in extreme bitterness. The beer is very light in body and color, yet packs an intense and lasting bitterness which could cause an inexperienced beer drinker to cough or gag with disgust. I enjoyed trying a sampler sized glass and maybe understand how one could acquire a taste for this beer, but mostly it was something you kind of laugh at and move on.

4.25/5  rDev +23.2%

3.62/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle: Poured a deep amber color ale with a large foamy head with good retention and some lacing. Aroma consists of earthy and piney hops with distinctive bitter notes. Taste is a mix between some piney hops with distinctive earthy notes and light dry caramel malt. Body is about average with good carbonation. Quite bitter and hoppy as advertised.

2.5/5  rDev -27.5%

2.66/5  rDev -22.9%

Had on-tap at the Local Taphouse, Darlinghurst on 02/09/2011.

Dark bronze in the glass, head a very light brown colour - looks good. Strong hit of cascade-style hops on the nose, but pretty one-note. Taste OK but the bitterness just takes over and the hops flavours are still very one-note. Expecting some sweetness of fruit on the back palate given this is an IPA but it's just not there. I keep smacking my palate together to see if I can get something more, but that's it! I don't really object to the bitterness, more to the fact that it just dries you out. I can actually feel the bitterness in my stomach.

I wonder about the 1000 IBU claim, as even if Mikkeller did in theory get there they could so easily just say this when it's actually 300 IBU or whatever. Not as bad as I expected overall and it is great to see the style pushed to the limit as it helps you appreciate good rounded IPAs better! Be interested to try the higher alcohol version of this beer in the future.

3.75/5  rDev +8.7%

4.39/5  rDev +27.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Heavy, thick creme colored head which is surprising. The beer is a deep caramel with a bready yeast smell. 1000 IBUs is of course not believable, but the IBUs are there and high. Tasting is believing and this is a good solid beer. I think calling it an IPA is a stretch but whatever. It reminds me of 120 minute IPA.

2.96/5  rDev -14.2%

A - Burnt orange, one finger white head, good lacing. Dark for a pale ale.

S - Hints of grapefruit, bitter hops. Not much going on in the aroma.

T - Bitter hops that destroy the palate and cling to the back of my tongue. Long-lasting bitterness...that's it.

M - Smooth, medium-light body, moderate carbonation. The only redeeming part of this beer.

O - Novelty. Drain pour. That is what I get for going against my better judgement. Mikkeller is still in my top 3 brewers!

4.75/5  rDev +37.7%