Hop Burn Double Imperial Pale Ale | Mikkeller ApS

mikkeller.dk

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by bark on 10-23-2011

3.85/5  rDev -4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

poured from bottle into Stone IPA stemware

A - hazy golden-brown color with a fat, two-finger, dirty tan head that settled to a thick, foamy cap; tons of sticky lacing on glass; some sediment left in bottle

S - lemony citrus with a touch of pepper in background; some honey, pollen

T - this hit me in two distinct stages; the first stage has moderate tropical flavor of pineapple and peach; the next stage ratcheted up the intensity with more resiny hops and a strong bittering finish that practically coats the entire mouth; some solvent alcohol towards the finish

M - light-medium body with moderate, but active, fine carbonation; LONG bitter finish that lasts quite a while

O - not something that i would want to drink again but i don't like the over-the-top hoppy beers; high alcohol and palette killing bitterness make it a sipper

3.75/5  rDev -6.5%

3.83/5  rDev -4.5%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into my Stone goblet.

A - Pours a hazy gold with a fluffy off-white head. Really great lacing as the head slowly fades.

S - Very citrusey. Lemon zest and grapefruit.

T/M - The cirtus carries over into the taste, as well as a little alcohol heat. Nice carmel malt backbone. Just a slight bitter aftertaste. Medium mouth feel, bordering on syrupy.

O - I have been disappointed before by import IPAs before. This one didn't totally disappoint. The hop character isn't as bold as I would prefer my DIPAs to be, but it's better than expected. My only complaint really, is the alcohol is very present in this one. Besides that, nice job. Cheers

4.37/5  rDev +9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.75/5  rDev +18.5%

3.91/5  rDev -2.5%

From an 11.2 oz bottle into my tasting snifter. No bottling or freshness date.

Pours a hazed gold with a one finger egg shell white head. Very nice retention and lacing.

Smell is almost all hop. Hits all the major adjectives. Juicy, tropical, citrus, some pine, tons of resin. Bitter but some sweetness lies beneath. Some clean alcohol as well. Kinda intimidating.

Wow, much more mellow than the nose. Still intensely hoppy, with loads of melon and pine. Tons of hop resin. A low key but still apparent sweet malt backbone. Very bitter, and some evaporating alcohol.

Medium in body, but feels thicker with all the hop oils. Good amount of carbonation. There is a bit of a burn off the back of the tongue that I attribute to both the hops and the alcohol. Still surprisingly smooth and drinkable.

Overall this is an intense hop experience, but is in no way mind blowing. A very quality brew (as I've come to expect from Mikkeller) but somehow falls short of greatness (also something I've come to expect from Mikkeller). Reminds me of a Ruination with a bit more bite. If your a hop head give it a try, but don't expect to be blown away. Cheers!

4.36/5  rDev +8.7%

Quick note: I don't know if I'm drinking Hop Burn or Hop Burn High. From some quick research, the labels for both appear the same, as do the ABVs. My label matches the one on this BA listing, but it also matches the one on many external reviews of the "Hop Burn High".

Hey! DIPAs from breweries outside of the United States have always been a no win proposition: Bizarre recipes, travel time (freshness issues), proper storage concerns, price... but I decided to pick one of these up at my local Whole Foods and give it a try since BrewDog's Hardcore IPA made me quite happy a week ago. Hop Burn is even better than that. The price tag for American buyers is a bit rough, but the beer pours a beautiful glowing mellow gold, smells of pungent hops, tastes of pungent hops with a lovely whipped cream note... might lose a point in the taste because of a bit of an aspirin bite on the finish. But this is a beer that I'd like to see more readily available in the U.S - I'd buy it in six- or four-packs all the time if a brewery here put it out. Bravo, Mikkeller!

3.75/5  rDev -6.5%

4.25/5  rDev +6%

A - Pours a deep, hazy orange. Foamy pure white head with great retention and lacing.

S - Not nearly as much hop on the nose as I expected. Lots of sweet honey-like notes with a little floral in the background.

T - Sugar / honey-sweet malts on the front end. Migrates into lots floral and citrusy hops on the middle. It dries out and leaves a nice bitterness on the finish.

M - Perfect for the style. Thick, but not like the 1000 IBU, just enough to coat the palate and leave a lingering flavor. Great carbonation that really helps round out the mouthfeel.

O - Really enjoyable beer. I hope I can find it again one of these days so I can share it with some of my hop-head friends. It's not the kind of pure hop-bomb that you'd expect from the name. It's a surprisingly well balanced bomb that is full of flavor and a little different than your standard DIPA.

Served in a Stone Cali-Belgique IPA glass.

4.25/5  rDev +6%

Purchased at Peabody's Wine and Beer in Boone, NC. Thanks Benny!

A - Nice light to medium amber color with a thick foam(1/2"). The lacing is very nice also. The beer is not tottally clear but that is ok with me.

S - Not a big hoppy, citrus smell but some big beers are like that and again that is ok with me.

T - A very nice hop taste that builds throught the taste, which mixes with some citrus and pine nut flavor. The build continues past the taste and is very satisfying.

M - Good mouthfeel, it is heavier than alot of double I-IPA's that I have had in the past. This beer ranges in the medium-heavy category with its thickness in viscosity with great last to the mouthfeel, a real enjoyment.

O - I really like this beer. There are better and alot worse beers out there in this vategory but this one hits a high note for me with the color, lacing, flavor, build in the taste like a burn if you will. When I find this beer again I will buy it.

4.75/5  rDev +18.5%